The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 20 May 2022, 10:17 PM   #91
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
As long as we are trolling Peter can I have your 6263?

Old 20 May 2022, 10:23 PM   #92
Ten Ten & 32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me4u2night View Post
i'll get excited once it's back in the teens.

Looks like you’ll be pretty miserable for a while yet then…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 May 2022, 10:27 PM   #93
edisonstar23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Personally would not buy a Daytona even at retail price,got to be the most over hyped Rolex watch ever.

Yeah ok… who wouldn’t buy such an iconic watch regardless of the hype and all. For any true collector a Daytona is a must!

Old 20 May 2022, 10:35 PM   #94
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edisonstar23 View Post
Yeah ok… who wouldn’t buy such an iconic watch regardless of the hype and all. For any true collector a Daytona is a must!

Depends what you mean by a true collector, so if a collector does not want to buy and own a modern Daytona he/she is not a true collector.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 20 May 2022, 10:37 PM   #95
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Pretty sure most 4 digit Dayton owners could care less about ceramic version lol……..
Old 20 May 2022, 10:39 PM   #96
edisonstar23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Pretty sure most 4 digit Dayton owners could care less about ceramic version lol……..

It comes down to preference. But the ceramic version will be highly collectible in the future for sure…

Old 20 May 2022, 11:42 PM   #97
J to the Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL997 View Post
Thank you and please always post data like this, its always great "getting behind the numbers"

You’re welcome! Glad you find it helpful.

Old 20 May 2022, 11:54 PM   #98
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Richemont just came out with disappointing sales and a gloomy outlook. Main reason according to CEO is China. I guess until the Chinese put their party hats back on it’s a buyers market. Glad for everyone who had there finger on the trigger, if you’ve been looking since a couple of months ago it looks like 20-25% off sale going on.

Old 21 May 2022, 12:31 AM   #99
goodolejr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Racer View Post
I just want to make a comment about the Daytona.

I bought mine new in 2006 from an AD. It cost me $6900. It was the best watch bargain ever. Over the years, I have loved it, taken it for granted, and even forgotten about it. As it stands today, it wears very well for my wrist and I have no problem telling time with it.

As an enthusiast, I have been following the market closely and I would happily add another one. I just think they’re great and every time I see one in the flesh, they really stand out and have such a great presence. The ceramic bezel pops to my eyes whereas my steel bezel is more subdued and toned down but elegant.

With respect to the market, there seems to be a lot of variability. But overall, I see prices trending down. I also don’t see anything with respect to the economy in general or what’s being marked as sold in ads here and elsewhere to indicate this trend is going to end. Great time to hold and enjoy. Bad time to sell, but do it now if you have to. For me, I am a buyer, but I am waiting for things to settle a bit before I buy.
Great post.
118238 (white)
124200 (silver)
Ω De Ville Jumping Hours 4853.61
Old 21 May 2022, 12:37 AM   #100
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
Richemont just came out with disappointing sales and a gloomy outlook. Main reason according to CEO is China. I guess until the Chinese put their party hats back on it’s a buyers market. Glad for everyone who had there finger on the trigger, if you’ve been looking since a couple of months ago it looks like 20-25% off sale going on.

They recently raised the prices on ALS, JLC, VC, ... If they want to sell they need to discount harder.
Old 21 May 2022, 12:57 AM   #101
tecknit
"TRF" Member

Daytona dropping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post

Were you actually reading their results for the year? Lmao they did well go look again. You only think they did bad cause the shares dropped today

Old 21 May 2022, 01:02 AM   #102
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:

Damn it. I always thought I was a true collector. Thanks edison for clearing that up and telling me I am not. I wonder what the hell I am, can TRF please tell me what I am then?
Old 21 May 2022, 01:07 AM   #103
Keldw
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I’d never wear a 116500 as it does nothing for me. I do love a white dial 16520 though

KW

https://www.instagram.com/rlx_dk/
Old 21 May 2022, 01:09 AM   #104
IndependentCandy14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Damn it. I always thought I was a true collector. Thanks edison for clearing that up and telling me I am not. I wonder what the hell I am, can TRF please tell me what I am then?
LoL.
Ditto.

-IndependentCandy14
Old 21 May 2022, 01:23 AM   #105
Goin2drt
Banned

And this just in.

Daytona prices rising through the roof.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=854698
Old 21 May 2022, 01:27 AM   #106
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Own both, and love both. 6263 and 116500. But only one of the two deserves the premium they command

Quote:
It comes down to preference. But the ceramic version will be highly collectible in the future for sure…

I think honestly pretty much all steel Daytonas are collectible and sought after, but that doesn't mean they should be 3 or 4 x retail.

Fact is, there are hundreds for sale and hundreds with collectors and there will be 100s more to come, and there will be 100s of new iterations long after we are gone.

They aren't rare by any means, and unlike vintage Daytonas, they are made in an era where they are luxury watches and are also treated as such by many wearers (probably most).
The collectibility within the vintage world is actual rarity to find one in pristine condition with original parts. They were made during a different era where rolexes were fully utilitary watches. We can all appreciate that those are actually collectible as they are not plenty(particularly the ones in excellent condition).

A modern 116500 panda? A dime a dozen and they all do and will all look the same. Barely special IMO. Beautiful? Very and I love mine, but thats about it.
Old 21 May 2022, 01:35 AM   #107
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
And this just in.

Daytona prices rising through the roof.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=854698
....with a Friday $10k off discount. Like the dial, out of this world.

The wife loves her 116500LN bought at retail.

Cheers all.
Old 21 May 2022, 01:42 AM   #108
VegasBaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
Were easy to get a little before 2000, 1999, easy with discount.

I have never liked them however if I had the connection with yours I would love them.

And that is what it is about.
No they weren’t! SS Daytonas started to be difficult to get in the early 90’s. Two-tone and precious metal models were available and often offered at a good discount. SS Daytonas had huge discounts in the 70s and throughout most of the 80s
Old 21 May 2022, 01:53 AM   #109
prnceofpersia23
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN
Black 116500 down to the low to mid 30's, which means dealers would offer you high 20's.

That is still 100% return on MSRP+tax! Incredible.
Old 21 May 2022, 02:12 AM   #110
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflywrist View Post
Own both, and love both. 6263 and 116500. But only one of the two deserves the premium they command

I think honestly pretty much all steel Daytonas are collectible and sought after, but that doesn't mean they should be 3 or 4 x retail.

Fact is, there are hundreds for sale and hundreds with collectors and there will be 100s more to come, and there will be 100s of new iterations long after we are gone.

They aren't rare by any means, and unlike vintage Daytonas, they are made in an era where they are luxury watches and are also treated as such by many wearers (probably most).
The collectibility within the vintage world is actual rarity to find one in pristine condition with original parts. They were made during a different era where rolexes were fully utilitary watches. We can all appreciate whey those are actually collectible as they are not plenty(particularly the ones in excellent condition).

A modern 116500 panda? A dime a dozen and they all and will all look the same. Barely special IMO. Beautiful? Very and I love mine, but thats about it.
Excellent post and not really "talking up his own book" as he owns both (!!!). I think the 116500 is gorgeous and would have bought one if I could get it in 2016. But the 6263 is on another level. And this post recognizes that it's kind of like baseball cards: in the "olden" days, they weren't sold in sets and put in sleeves and thus it's hard to find mint ones. Today's cards (the last 30-40 years, lol), there are many pristine collections sitting around and thus will never be rare like the '50s - '70s in great condition. Same with Daytonas or any modern Rolex.

FWIW, blanket statements about what should or shouldn't be in ANY collection are kinda dumb. Buy what you enjoy, don't tick boxes on a To Do list.
Old 21 May 2022, 02:16 AM   #111
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Let me know when gasoline prices drop. Then I'll be happy.
Old 21 May 2022, 02:31 AM   #112
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Excellent post and not really "talking up his own book" as he owns both (!!!). I think the 116500 is gorgeous and would have bought one if I could get it in 2016. But the 6263 is on another level. And this post recognizes that it's kind of like baseball cards: in the "olden" days, they weren't sold in sets and put in sleeves and thus it's hard to find mint ones. Today's cards (the last 30-40 years, lol), there are many pristine collections sitting around and thus will never be rare like the '50s - '70s in great condition. Same with Daytonas or any modern Rolex.

FWIW, blanket statements about what should or shouldn't be in ANY collection are kinda dumb. Buy what you enjoy, don't tick boxes on a To Do list.

Could not agree more.

Many people were unfortunately blinded by the hype and delusional to think that these dime a dozen Pepsis and Daytonas etc were “art on the wrist”. I’m sorry but that’s not how it works, and no they will not go “to the moon”.

I really have no dog in this fight nor hate for the players that were taking advantage of what was in front of them, but it must suck to right now be stuck with watches you never wanted to own because it seemed like it was a sensible investment at 200% premiums.
On a personal note, I’ve bought most my modern watches (not all) at retail, and I’m looking forward to everything coming down to earth so that there can be enthusiasts in the watch world once again.

Old 21 May 2022, 03:01 AM   #113
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Daytona dropping

Quote:
Could not agree more.

Many people were unfortunately blinded by the hype and delusional to think that these dime a dozen Pepsis and Daytonas etc were “art on the wrist”. I’m sorry but that’s not how it works, and no they will not go “to the moon”.

I really have no dog in this fight nor hate for the players that were taking advantage of what was in front of them, but it must suck to right now be stuck with watches you never wanted to own because it seemed like it was a sensible investment at 200% premiums.
On a personal note, I’ve bought most my modern watches (not all) at retail, and I’m looking forward to everything coming down to earth so that there can be enthusiasts in the watch world once again.

That is such a cool reference in Rolex land you got there.
Old 21 May 2022, 04:12 AM   #114
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBaby View Post
No they weren’t! SS Daytonas started to be difficult to get in the early 90’s. Two-tone and precious metal models were available and often offered at a good discount. SS Daytonas had huge discounts in the 70s and throughout most of the 80s
From my experience and I was there.

In fact even when the ceramic came out I was offered it at a discount.

How do I know. I was there.
Old 21 May 2022, 04:19 AM   #115
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
I own both (white/silver 6263 and black 116500), and very much enjoy both for different reasons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona 6263 glass-TRF.jpg (282.9 KB, 520 views)
Old 21 May 2022, 04:24 AM   #116
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Damn, that's a beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I own both (white/silver 6263 and black 116500), and very much enjoy both for different reasons.
You're both very lucky!
Old 21 May 2022, 04:25 AM   #117
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
From my experience and I was there.

In fact even when the ceramic came out I was offered it at a discount.

How do I know. I was there.

Not even close to my experience with the SS Daytona back in the early 90’s. I owned a TT Daytona back then briefly and it wasn’t a common reference compared to the Sub. You might occasionally see a TT Daytona in the display like 1 to every 15 Submariners. The SS Daytona was never ever in the display cases but would be talked about from the sales associates on how they were limited numbers that were ordered in for customers on a limited basis.
I noticed this trend when the SS Daytona first got it’s in-house Rolex movement it was game on for never seeing them in the display cases. At the time I found it puzzling why a SS model would be so much more desirable than a TT Daytona with PM in it but the TT look was still a force and in vogue. The mystique just continued to grow as each year more and more Rolex owners were inquiring how to buy a SS Daytona. Fast forward to when the Ceramic SS Daytona came out and it was nuclear from the start.
Old 21 May 2022, 05:43 AM   #118
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Safe to say the 16520 combines all things Daytona and is the clear winner????
Old 21 May 2022, 05:50 AM   #119
bob sims
Banned

Quote:

They suck in my opinion. In a magic world where one couldn't resell I wouldn't give 50 bucks for a panda. TT or gold yes but no Panda or black.
Old 21 May 2022, 03:39 PM   #120
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Not even close to my experience with the SS Daytona back in the early 90’s. I owned a TT Daytona back then briefly and it wasn’t a common reference compared to the Sub. You might occasionally see a TT Daytona in the display like 1 to every 15 Submariners. The SS Daytona was never ever in the display cases but would be talked about from the sales associates on how they were limited numbers that were ordered in for customers on a limited basis.
I noticed this trend when the SS Daytona first got it’s in-house Rolex movement it was game on for never seeing them in the display cases. At the time I found it puzzling why a SS model would be so much more desirable than a TT Daytona with PM in it but the TT look was still a force and in vogue. The mystique just continued to grow as each year more and more Rolex owners were inquiring how to buy a SS Daytona. Fast forward to when the Ceramic SS Daytona came out and it was nuclear from the start.
Definitely 1999, from my experience they were in display cases in Australia and I can also say in Las Vegas, I bought my first 16613 in 99/9 the display cases were full I was trying them all on but never liked the Daytona felt it was too busy still do. I bought that watch tax free and flew to the States, I was in Las Vegas cannot remember what AD and they were there to buy, Daytona's, my brother wanted one and it was there to buy. Multiple.
Also Tourneau in SF had an abundance of SS sports models I do not recall if they had any Daytona's then.

Maybe it was a lucky moment in time, my memories are early 2000's is when the hot models all of a sudden were out the back as I went to the AD who I buy from saying why no watches etc and she said what do you want to buy and they came out. I didn't realise that was a turning point. I think that was around 2003 when I bought a seadweller there on the spot. In fact I have told the story, they let me take it home without paying for it as i forgot my check book. I was a regular.

Also 2006 was easy for me to buy PP Nautilus however not in display cases from memory.

I also remembered when the ceramic came out I was invited to a viewing, again knocked it back could have bought one 100%. I used to deal with the owner of the AD, her son runs it now, I wouldn't even get a catalogue now.
Closed Thread