The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 21 May 2022, 11:43 PM   #121
Greglaw
Banned

You are what the experts here tell you that you are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Damn it. I always thought I was a true collector. Thanks edison for clearing that up and telling me I am not. I wonder what the hell I am, can TRF please tell me what I am then?
Beautiful pictures of great watches. Daytona is not for me, although I bought my wife a gorgeous 2 tone Zenith Daytona with a white dial. However, while I like the Daytona, it is not for me...so I guess we are not collectors because there are many experts on this forum in all kinds of fields, we have the Svengali crew who can predict the future, we have the experts who pontificate on the economy, and those who tell you what you should have to fit in a category. It is annoying, and I hate when I open a thread to avoid the ones I hate, namely, the ones above along with the “investment” threads, to find them there, but, most often I laugh...because I have come to terms that I simply will never measure up...
Old 22 May 2022, 12:39 AM   #122
johnwigan
Banned

Prices are falling, no doubt. But we are only at the beginning of the process. ADs have been doing so well that they will want the 'shortage bubble' years to continue as long as possible, and will try to make that happen. There will be dead cat bounces along the way but we are heading back to full display cases and MSRP again. Maybe, Rolex, ADs may try to restrict supply of some models to keep the hype going as long as possible. But the market will prevail.

The future prospects for the economy, here or in China, do not suggest the bubble will take off again. COVID ending, shortages of all sorts of products coming to an end, life returning to normal. Governments having run out of options to delay the inevitable further, - inflation and recession are a tough pair to deal with, and history shows it usually takes a long time to fix. All suggest we are still at the beginning phase of the return to normal.

Of course there will be denial, giving way to anger, for some. The classic stages of bubble phycology. If you are old enough you have seen it all before. On a brighter note I am looking forward to ADs being full of stock and being able to get the watches I want. And sales assistants having to start selling their product again. Those who have been living within their means, those who fixed the roof when the sun was shining, have nothing to worry about. For actual watch enthusiasts prospects are looking up.

I don't like the daytonas either and wouldn't buy one. I think perceived scarcity and potential flipping profit is what makes them attractive to some. If I could have a choice of any Rolex that would be near the bottom of the list for me.
Old 22 May 2022, 01:19 AM   #123
Slambonie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post
prices have definitely lowered significantly. this is probably the lowest it's gonna go. best time for prospective buyers to make the move before they go up again by the end of the year. =)
so i guess you'll be buying all the stock you can? no, of course not, because you have no idea what the future holds and you wouldn't put your money where your mouth is. more baseless comments from someone probably with an agenda!
Old 22 May 2022, 01:28 AM   #124
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwigan View Post
Prices are falling, no doubt. But we are only at the beginning of the process. ADs have been doing so well that they will want the 'shortage bubble' years to continue as long as possible, and will try to make that happen. There will be dead cat bounces along the way but we are heading back to full display cases and MSRP again. Maybe, Rolex, ADs may try to restrict supply of some models to keep the hype going as long as possible. But the market will prevail.

The future prospects for the economy, here or in China, do not suggest the bubble will take off again. COVID ending, shortages of all sorts of products coming to an end, life returning to normal. Governments having run out of options to delay the inevitable further, - inflation and recession are a tough pair to deal with, and history shows it usually takes a long time to fix. All suggest we are still at the beginning phase of the return to normal.

Of course there will be denial, giving way to anger, for some. The classic stages of bubble phycology. If you are old enough you have seen it all before. On a brighter note I am looking forward to ADs being full of stock and being able to get the watches I want. And sales assistants having to start selling their product again. Those who have been living within their means, those who fixed the roof when the sun was shining, have nothing to worry about. For actual watch enthusiasts prospects are looking up.

I don't like the daytonas either and wouldn't buy one. I think perceived scarcity and potential flipping profit is what makes them attractive to some. If I could have a choice of any Rolex that would be near the bottom of the list for me.
Hopefully you are right. I think watches will be scarce from ADs into the foreseeable future. It's not economics which will fill dealer's cases, but an overall trend away from watches to some other new thing. Remember nobody needs a watch in today's world. When Rolex is no longer cool, inventory at ADs will soar. Question is who will buy them then?
Old 22 May 2022, 01:34 AM   #125
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post
That’s the first I’ve heard you mention this. You NEVER seem to pass on any opp to re-affirm your dislike about the Daytona. Probably just mad you never got offered one. Hmmm....
You scored an own goal there buddy,,,
Old 22 May 2022, 01:34 AM   #126
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Personally would not buy a Daytona even at retail price,got to be the most over hyped Rolex watch ever.
Don't overdo it, I would buy it for the price tag. However, it is very flashy - you can see it from a kilometer.
Old 22 May 2022, 01:54 AM   #127
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Hows ss daytona more flashy then other professional rolex watches?
For example submariner, you can spot one from International space station

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 May 2022, 02:15 AM   #128
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
The White SS Daytona is a lot of fear in the Rolex family. The Submariner is a gray mouse next to her.
Old 22 May 2022, 02:37 AM   #129
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

It’s really horrible wearing this devalued and ugly flashy watch. Might as well throw it away.
Old 22 May 2022, 02:39 AM   #130
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post

It’s really horrible wearing this devalued and ugly flashy watch. Might as well throw it away.
Did you put protective stickers on this?
Old 22 May 2022, 02:43 AM   #131
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Did you put protective stickers on this?

Sure did!
Old 22 May 2022, 03:00 AM   #132
MiloDiThernan
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP15400 OR
Quote:
Sure did!
I think that tells us everything we need to know.
Old 22 May 2022, 03:18 AM   #133
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloDiThernan View Post

And I can’t tell you how much I appreciate how much everyone cares about my possessions.

You own one too?
Old 22 May 2022, 04:38 AM   #134
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Old 22 May 2022, 04:44 AM   #135
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
If more folks panic, and sell their watches into the used watch market, the added supply should lower prices unless the used watch dealers hoard them to maintain prices.
Any reason the dealers would not do that?
Old 22 May 2022, 05:02 AM   #136
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post

Have a laugh on me boys! I’ll just be over here enjoying this cool watch. Hope you can source one too if you haven’t already!
Old 22 May 2022, 05:04 AM   #137
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico81 View Post
Hows ss daytona more flashy then other professional rolex watches?
For example submariner, you can spot one from International space station

Or in the International Space station…
Old 22 May 2022, 07:10 AM   #138
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I skim through these threads from time to time and find myself in disbelief the way some grown men talk and bitch to each other about the most petty of subjects.

We used to fight our differences out as men where I’m from, maybe we can organise some TRF exhibition fights
Old 22 May 2022, 09:18 AM   #139
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
I skim through these threads from time to time and find myself in disbelief the way some grown men talk and bitch to each other about the most petty of subjects.

We used to fight our differences out as men where I’m from, maybe we can organise some TRF exhibition fights
On a small scale we're dropping from the peak at the moment. (economy)

On a much larger scale - as the human race we've experienced unprecedented prosperity since WWII, we're probably due for another large dip.

Old 22 May 2022, 10:51 AM   #140
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Old 22 May 2022, 11:19 AM   #141
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Old 22 May 2022, 11:40 AM   #142
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sure did!

I thought you were joking but looking closer it appears you were serious… why? Are you planning to sell it at some point or just ocd

Old 22 May 2022, 11:46 AM   #143
RanHong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJubel328 View Post
I thought you were joking but looking closer it appears you were serious… why? Are you planning to sell it at some point or just ocd

I think he is keeping it pristine for the next owner. There is nothing wrong with that
Old 22 May 2022, 02:16 PM   #144
yonexsp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Sure did!
Why?
Old 22 May 2022, 04:58 PM   #145
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
while i have never and will likely never put stickers on a watch (i don't do it on my phone screen or cars either) I don't know why some folks care so much when other members do.

As a matter of fact, as a buyer of never polished pieces only, i for sure would rather buy a preowned watch from a guy who put "the stickers" on it from day 1 than from a guy like me who bangs it around without regard
Old 22 May 2022, 06:01 PM   #146
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post
while i have never and will likely never put stickers on a watch (i don't do it on my phone screen or cars either) I don't know why some folks care so much when other members do.

As a matter of fact, as a buyer of never polished pieces only, i for sure would rather buy a preowned watch from a guy who put "the stickers" on it from day 1 than from a guy like me who bangs it around without regard
On the other hand, these bubbleboys scares me. Who knows what other crazy things they have put their mind to
Old 22 May 2022, 06:22 PM   #147
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

As a person who prefer my watches to look new and good I will apply the protective stickers on each of them. It has nothing to do with its resale value. Regretted not applying it on my first watch, which now look kind of old. I’ll have to reluctantly get it polished as a result. I’m not a vintage guy so yeah I’m all for applying protective stickers. Cheers!
Old 22 May 2022, 10:05 PM   #148
jon.narak
"TRF" Member

I've got 1 Panda dated Dec 2021 ready to let go at USD40k + shipping
Old 22 May 2022, 10:33 PM   #149
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknit View Post
Were you actually reading their results for the year? Lmao they did well go look again. You only think they did bad cause the shares dropped today

Yes they had a good year compared to a not so good 2021. I believe Lambert was commenting on the trend in the current quarter and what he sees going forward.
Which is more important than what has happened.
Cheers.

Old 22 May 2022, 11:06 PM   #150
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanHong View Post
I think he is keeping it pristine for the next owner. There is nothing wrong with that
Live and let live. His watch, let him enjoy it.
Closed Thread