The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 24 May 2022, 02:29 AM   #181
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
Why does this surprise anyone? The long value of any of these watches is the current MSRP (possibly 20% higher for a Daytona). Anyone who pays 50K or even 40K for a SS Daytona with the idea that it is a sound investment (vs. wanting it to wear and not caring about long term value) is a fool and they deserve what is coming.
Just curious (and I really mean just curious) how you got to “long value” of these watches being current MSRP?
Old 24 May 2022, 02:47 AM   #182
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I read this thread and there are so many perspectives represented. From the "new doesn't touch the old" to the overhype persepctive to the "if you don't see things like me there's something wrong with you." All these have little to do with the original premise but so it goes. It's sort of a shame that people aren't a bit more respectul of other's opinions all the way around.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 24 May 2022, 02:52 AM   #183
Flint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well now if they ever produced a Daytona watch like my 6263 with aluminium insert no need for ceramic with the cal 4130 movement then might be interested.

Would not play any of these so called AD games for any watch no matter the brand, and if everyone done likewise then perhaps we could get back to normality. But as Rolex watches today are little more than ££$$€€€ objects now thats doubtful.

Well said
Old 24 May 2022, 02:52 AM   #184
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I read this thread and here so many perspectives represented. From the "new doesn't touch the old" to the overhype persepctive to the "if you don't see things like me there's something wrong with you." All these have little to do with the original premise but so it goes. It's sort of a shame that people aren't a bit more respectul of other's opinions all the way around.
That has been the toxic invasive behavior TRF has adopted the last year. Clearly new accounts have not read the TRF rules or don’t care about them. New accounts should instantly be on a probation status for the first year so they can get a feel of the tempo and conduct that is acceptable on TRF. Free discussion is great but it absolutely has to be guided and kept in the parameters of a forum of enforced rules and not thunderdome of general social media.

It almost makes me want to be a moderate again.
Old 24 May 2022, 03:02 AM   #185
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
That has been the toxic invasive behavior TRF has adopted the last year. Clearly new accounts have not read the TRF rules or don’t care about them. New accounts should instantly be on a probation status for the first year so they can get a feel of the tempo and conduct that is acceptable on TRF.

i don’t agree with that. That toxic culture was there when i joined and i am a new member. The members who have been here a while are some
of the worst. When you read old threads people are criticising others, sarcy comments etc. It seems it has been like this a long time.
Old 24 May 2022, 03:36 AM   #186
rosenbergendo
"TRF" Member

Green Daytona will be at 70k very soon!
Old 24 May 2022, 04:16 AM   #187
rolex16
Banned

Quote:
That has been the toxic invasive behavior TRF has adopted the last year. Clearly new accounts have not read the TRF rules or don’t care about them. New accounts should instantly be on a probation status for the first year so they can get a feel of the tempo and conduct that is acceptable on TRF. Free discussion is great but it absolutely has to be guided and kept in the parameters of a forum of enforced rules and not thunderdome of general social media.

Everyone’s already on probation status from day 1 and at all times. You can get infraction point or banned at any time.
Old 24 May 2022, 04:53 AM   #188
VegasBaby
Banned

TRF members, hoping for an economic collapse so that watch prices will come down, are the absolute worst! Can you imagine hoping for bad times simply for that endgame? In most cases, those same people would never buy those watches, if the prices came down, because A) they no longer would be considered “hot”/desirable/ must have items and B) wouldn’t have money left to buy them. Sick people!
Old 24 May 2022, 05:04 AM   #189
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBaby View Post
TRF members, hoping for an economic collapse so that watch prices will come down, are the absolute worst! Can you imagine hoping for bad times simply for that endgame? In most cases, those same people would never buy those watches, if the prices came down, because A) they no longer would be considered “hot”/desirable/ must have items and B) wouldn’t have money left to buy them. Sick people!
yup it's sad to see
Old 24 May 2022, 05:36 AM   #190
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Indeed, it is short-sighted and a vile wish as a collapse would likely be the only thing that would truly make the watch market crash (along with all of the other markets).

To be fair though, aside from the people mentioned above, I think a lot of members just want prices to be reasonable again.

The thing is…and this is just my opinion…if you consider MSRP to be a “reasonable” price, unfortunately I think the “AD cases full of SS sport pieces” ship has sailed for the foreseeable future.

Demand is still very high, for now at least, and that’s all there is to it.
Old 24 May 2022, 05:54 AM   #191
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Just as annoying are all the TRF members who interpret wanting Rolex prices to head back toward MSRP as wishing for widespread poverty

Good grief. Not everyone has a dozen watches with a couple pieces of each major sports line.

Imagine not even being offered a single watch larger than 28mm for the last 6 years..... yeah that's where we are at.
Old 24 May 2022, 06:00 AM   #192
Adam84
Banned

Watch: Cant choose!
Don’t think anyone wants people to be in poverty or a financial crash, I do think people want the watch market to become less profitable or attractive to flippers so we can get back to enjoying watches that we can actually purchase at retail or a sensible price above retail.

If a watch market adjustment means it gets rid of flippers and returns us to sensible levels then I’m all for it, but not at the expense of a wider financial collapse.
Old 24 May 2022, 06:01 AM   #193
G23Guy
Banned

Watch: Panda Daytona
Quote:
You can wish all you want, none of us are in control.

I'm ready for flippers to lose their asses and timepieces to come back to reality.
Old 24 May 2022, 06:02 AM   #194
G23Guy
Banned

Watch: Panda Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Just as annoying are all the TRF members who interpret wanting Rolex prices to head back toward MSRP as wishing for widespread poverty
Bag holders or Impulse grey buyers.
Old 24 May 2022, 06:17 AM   #195
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:

Good grief. Not everyone has a dozen watches with a couple pieces of each major sports line.

Imagine not even being offered a single watch larger than 28mm for the last 6 years..... yeah that's where we are at.
Well stated. A price collapse on a luxury item does not automatically mean the world is collapsing. People can want Rolex to come back to earth, blow up supply and be able to buy at MSRP again without wishing the world was ending. Jeez. Also all the comments about the negative "new members". Come on people. You don't like some ones opinion or better yet they don't like some ones opinions and now it is the TRF negativity? Huh. As long as people aren't personally attacking someone (which I have yet to see) then who cares if people disagree. Does everyone here have to just answer "I agree" or " looks great" or "congrats" and that is what this has become?
Old 24 May 2022, 06:21 AM   #196
Adam84
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Well stated. A price collapse on a luxury item does not automatically mean the world is collapsing. People can want Rolex to come back to earth, blow up supply and be able to buy at MSRP again without wishing the world was ending. Jeez. Also all the comments about the negative "new members". Come on people. You don't like some ones opinion or better yet they don't like some ones opinions and now it is the TRF negativity? Huh. As long as people aren't personally attacking someone (which I have yet to see) then who cares if people disagree. Does everyone here have to just answer "I agree" or " looks great" or "congrats" and that is what this has become?
Let’s be honest, I suspect a lot of people on this forum have a lot of ‘skin in the game’ in terms of Rolex prices. While no one has been personally attacked, I can see how some may feel like they have. Many people have multiple pieces, whether they’re tucked away for investment purposes or have been bought because they love watches, no one likes to see their assets tank, so I’m not surprised to see so much heated conversation.

I suppose a bit of compassion on both sides to the other side wouldn’t go amiss.
Old 24 May 2022, 06:32 AM   #197
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam84 View Post
Let’s be honest, I suspect a lot of people on this forum have a lot of ‘skin in the game’ in terms of Rolex prices. While no one has been personally attacked, I can see how some may feel like they have. Many people have multiple pieces, whether they’re tucked away for investment purposes or have been bought because they love watches, no one likes to see their assets tank, so I’m not surprised to see so much heated conversation.

I suppose a bit of compassion on both sides to the other side wouldn’t go amiss.
I "sort of" agree but I am sure those same "skin in the game" folks were sure to brag about their MSRP purchase that is now quadrupled. Maybe "they" should have had some compassion back then when mere mortals couldn't get crap because of the hype. I guess I am of the school, you win big and you lose big (I tend to play right in the middle with small wins and small loses). Take your lumps and don't whine when it doesn't go your way if you are going to celebrate when it does.

But I guess you are right maybe this is a learning lesson the next time the times are great that all can be a little more modest and compassionate for all.
Old 24 May 2022, 06:43 AM   #198
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

i personally think for that to happen in the near future it would require an economic collapse. it could happen naturally over the next decade, but not now because it's gotten to be such a bubble due to all the excess wealth and imo means that wealth would have to be destroyed. totally different to want rolexes to come back down to msrp vs the countless members saying "i can't wait for rolexes to crash to msrp". wishing for a crash means just that, bubbles don't pop subtly. look at what it took for watches to correct 25-30% this year
Old 24 May 2022, 07:17 AM   #199
Adam84
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
I "sort of" agree but I am sure those same "skin in the game" folks were sure to brag about their MSRP purchase that is now quadrupled. Maybe "they" should have had some compassion back then when mere mortals couldn't get crap because of the hype. I guess I am of the school, you win big and you lose big (I tend to play right in the middle with small wins and small loses). Take your lumps and don't whine when it doesn't go your way if you are going to celebrate when it does.

But I guess you are right maybe this is a learning lesson the next time the times are great that all can be a little more modest and compassionate for all.
Oh I don’t disagree….all the multiple incomings from one shopping trip do get a bit when some of us wait years just to get one.

But hey, I don’t get het up about it, fortunately Rolex isn’t the only brand I like….if I can’t get the watch I want, I will just move onto higher horology. At least this waiting game is forcing me to save money. By time my Explorer rocks up I will have Lange money at this rate
Old 24 May 2022, 07:25 AM   #200
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Waiting years for a watch at the AD is great as long as you are genuinely content with that decision and not passive/aggressive for those that pony up gray prices for theirs now. Both camps have to live in harmony on this forum and understand both methods have their advantages and disadvantages.

The Rolex amusement park is filled with those that pay for a “fast pass” and those content to stand in the “stand by” line to get on the top tier rides. Some will even say “the hell with it” and will wait in the car in the parking lot.
Old 24 May 2022, 07:28 AM   #201
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Waiting years for a watch at the AD is great as long as you are genuinely content with that decision and not passive/aggressive for those that pony up gray prices for theirs now. Both camps have to live in harmony on this forum and understand both methods have their advantages and disadvantages.
Well said.
Old 24 May 2022, 07:47 AM   #202
Adam84
Banned

Quote:

The Rolex amusement park is filled with those that pay for a “fast pass” and those content to stand in the “stand by” line to get on the top tier rides. Some will even say “the hell with it” and will wait in the car in the parking lot.
True. Tbh no aggression from me to those who want to go grey or spend 5000 bucks on jewellery to jump the queue…it’s their money, can do what they want with it.

The only slight annoyance I have is flippers. Sure if you’re going to enjoy the watch for a year an then sell it then that’s cool, but people walking straight out and selling just to profit? nah that’s not cool to me. But hey, it is what it is.
Old 24 May 2022, 07:58 AM   #203
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
True. Tbh no aggression from me to those who want to go grey or spend 5000 bucks on jewellery to jump the queue…it’s their money, can do what they want with it.

The only slight annoyance I have is flippers. Sure if you’re going to enjoy the watch for a year an then sell it then that’s cool, but people walking straight out and selling just to profit? nah that’s not cool to me. But hey, it is what it is.
I've finally woken up to the fact that spending money at the AD for jewelry may have no effect whatsoever - I don't know if they have a list or if I'm even on it. At least my 5k is directly baked into the Grey price and I know for certain my watch will arrive the next day by 10am.
Old 24 May 2022, 08:07 AM   #204
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If that’s not enough proof, I don’t know what is!
Old 24 May 2022, 08:12 AM   #205
jarecki
"TRF" Member

Watch: it.
Quote:

I don’t think that’s fair. In my case I do buy jewelry at my AD for my wife, from time to time, but I would have bought it anyway… If it gets me better treatment, that’s a bonus.

But it’s unreasonable to expect an AD to treat somebody with no history the same as somebody who buys other stuff. That’s just a fact of life…
Old 24 May 2022, 08:14 AM   #206
Adam84
Banned

Quote:
I've finally woken up to the fact that spending money at the AD for jewelry may have no effect whatsoever - I don't know if they have a list or if I'm even on it. At least my 5k is directly baked into the Grey price and I know for certain my watch will arrive the next day by 10am.
Indeed. Tbh if you’re buying things you actually want at an AD to build a relationship then great, at least that way it’s not wasted money, otherwise just go grey.
Old 24 May 2022, 08:16 AM   #207
Adam84
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarecki View Post
I don’t think that’s fair. In my case I do buy jewelry at my AD for my wife, from time to time, but I would have bought it anyway… If it gets me better treatment, that’s a bonus.

But it’s unreasonable to expect an AD to treat somebody with no history the same as somebody who buys other stuff. That’s just a fact of life…
As I said, it’s your money and can do with what you wish. Buying stuff you want because it builds a relationship and also keeps your relationship with your missus on solid footing is a good move but buying crap you don’t want is just a waste

I’ve done it myself, bought parents and other half gifts, jewellery, watches from my AD…..but that’s because it’s stuff I would have bought anyway, so might as well do it as part of building a relationship…I 100% wouldn’t be doing it on the promise that it might get me a watch though.
Old 24 May 2022, 08:26 AM   #208
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
I had to look at it twice before I got it.
Took me three times.
Old 24 May 2022, 09:19 AM   #209
sudo_root
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
Pretty delusional to think watch prices “tanking” to MSRP can ONLY occur if there’s an full on economic meltdown. Actually, it’s incredibly delusional…

They’re just watches people, right now they’re trendy, they won’t stay that way and they’re already showing how weak they are with the rapid drops in values across the board.

The only things propping up their value have been the Chinese consumer (fading even before the lockdowns as their economy is slowing on a whole) and new wealth that enjoyed free liquidity courtesy of the fed (well the money taps closing).

Remove excess cash/free cash and what happens? Suddenly a lot of people look really stupid buying into the hype and marketing that watches are worth more than their msrp’s. A fool and their money…
Old 24 May 2022, 09:25 AM   #210
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudo_root View Post

The only things propping up their value have been the Chinese consumer (fading even before the lockdowns as their economy is slowing on a whole) and new wealth that enjoyed free liquidity courtesy of the fed (well the money taps closing).

Remove excess cash/free cash and what happens? Suddenly a lot of people look really stupid buying into the hype and marketing that watches are worth more than their msrp’s. A fool and their money…
so...basically an environment where excess money is wiped out by the fed and global market collapse leads to lower demand in rolexes. is that not an economic meltdown like we're experiencing? we are effectively in a recession and tons of wealth has been wiped out in 6 months and prices went down like 30% for now. imagine what it would take to bring it down to msrp within the next year or 2

just to clarify, i personally don't really care if they go down because i bought at or near msrp and didn't sell them this past year because that's not why i bought them. just feel like in order to bring these prices down to a somewhat normal level right now would require some extreme conditions. long term though, very possible that they'll come down for the usual reasons
Closed Thread