The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2022, 02:57 AM   #31
"TRF" Member

Gosh OP, how is one of these dials a mashup of geometric shapes and the other not? They both literally have circles, rectangles, and triangles in literally the same places?
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 03:07 AM   #32
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
"Poor man's" is a term that needs to stop being used to describe Tudor.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 03:12 AM   #33
Bigdaddy38
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116515B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
Click bait title, sorry. :)

New watch day yesterday, the BB58 of course. Obviously, I'm honeymooning but I really like these, their timeless design, and how different it is to my 12-series Submariner.

People criticize the snow flakes and rivots but I like both. If I had one critism to give, it's the dial seems to be a mash up of geometric shapes - circles, triangles, bars and squares - but that's just nitpicking and I think it's an excellent design.

It's funny, my wife and I made a few AD purchases last year and the Submariner was allocated to me in under two months. I enquired about the BB when supply around Toronto dried up and waited longer, same AD, three months for the Tudor. Go figure.

Welcome! Love this one as well!

I call it the poor man’s Cookie Monster !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ALS 1815 Flyback Chrono Rosegold, Daytona 116515B RG/Chocolate, SkyD Blue Dial Jubilee 326934, Sub 122610LV, Explorer II 216570 Polar, Blue Yacht Master 40 126622, Tudor BB Pro, BB925 Silver, Breitling W. Navi A24322 White, Speedy 3861, Tissot PRX 80
Bigdaddy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 04:24 AM   #34
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
^ nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Gosh OP, how is one of these dials a mashup of geometric shapes and the other not? They both literally have circles, rectangles, and triangles in literally the same places?
I was referring to the addition of the square snow flake on top of the more common mash up. Again, nitpicking. I like everything about these.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 05:58 AM   #35
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Hayz View Post
Great pickup OP. I've got plenty of Wilsdorf siblings in the stable as well, and I marvel at how little daylight there is between them. Sure, there are differences, both subtle and less so, but as a value proposition the Tudors are hard to beat. Basically 8/9 tenths of the Rolex experience (quality wise) for a quarter the street value.

What's not to love?

Attachment 1294109
Nice pair of watches! great choice on both!
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 06:00 AM   #36
Ensign
"TRF" Member

I think the rivots are super cool in a retro way.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 06:03 AM   #37
Adam84
Banned

Watch: Cant choose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Indeed, it’s like Glashutte being called a poor mans lange…..not sure I know many poor men who can fork out £9000 on a watch!

Anyway back on topic, I actually prefer the BB58 to the current sub. More retro sizing and smaller case means it’s perfect for my smaller wrists
Adam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 06:03 AM   #38
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
+1 on that, quality watch and not so cheap. They are a brand all to themselves. They seem to be enough differences between the two brands with movements and design not to be called a poor mans Rolex. They are NOT that similar anymore. There a great watch all on there own.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 06:56 AM   #39
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Well said GP.

If you can spend hours on this Forum talking about things that tell time nobody’s ‘poor’.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 07:12 AM   #40
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Ok then, straight out of Hans' mouth: 'Affordable'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Wilsdorf

Quote:
Wilsdorf established the high-quality lower-priced watch brand Tudor, a subsidiary company of Rolex, in 1946. While the Tudor name had appeared on previous watches made under the auspices of Rolex, at this time Tudor expanded into an affordable alternative to Rolex-branded offerings. On March 6, 1946, Wilsdorf made the following statement regarding Tudor:

"For some years now I have been considering the idea of making a watch that our agents could sell at a more modest price than our Rolex watches, and yet one that could attain the standards of dependability for which Rolex is famous, I decided to form a separate company, with the object of making and marketing this new watch. It is called the Tudor Watch Company."

Tudor IS a poor man's Rolex. There's no doubt about it and no reason to get upset either.

These days we talk about cities getting "Affordable Housing." Everyone knows what that means. Are the people living there literally poor? Around here that still means 500k.

I have a Tudor and I may well get another one some time (eg. a vintage Sub.) They make some nice watches. If they would just ditch the riveted bracelet and stop putting the Snowflake hand on everything they'd become a whole lot more attractive. The designs are deliberately sabotaged in order to avoid encroaching on Rolex territory.

Their modern movements are amazing, you get a lot of watch for the money. But the quality of the movement is cold comfort if it means I'll be stuck staring at some faux rivets all day long.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 07:20 AM   #41
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post

Tudor IS a poor man's Rolex. There's no doubt about it and no reason to get upset either.

These days we talk about cities getting "Affordable Housing." Everyone knows what that means. Are the people living there literally poor? Around here that still means 500k.

I have a Tudor and I may well get another one some time (eg. a vintage Sub.) They make some nice watches. If they would just ditch the riveted bracelet and stop putting the Snowflake hand on everything they'd become a whole lot more attractive. The designs are deliberately sabotaged in order to avoid encroaching on Rolex territory.

Their modern movements are amazing, you get a lot of watch for the money. But the quality of the movement is cold comfort if it means I'll be stuck staring at some faux rivets all day long.
You and I interpret the English language differently, besides the fact that I am speaking of 21st Century Tudor watches, not mid-20th Century Tudors. Regardless, Wilsdorf was fluent in English, so if he wanted Tudor to be the poor man's Rolex, he would have called it that.

You need to chill out a little--maybe take a nap or something.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Old 24 May 2022, 07:30 AM   #42
Goupax
"TRF" Member

I have heard the NATO strap Tudor uses are of the very best quality, I would try to get a hand on one of them as well as the suede one with the deployant clasp for the winter. Damn, I think I need to get a Tudor myself now...
Goupax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 07:31 AM   #43
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
You and I interpret the English language differently, besides the fact that I am speaking of 21st Century Tudor watches, not mid-20th Century Tudors. Regardless, Wilsdorf was fluent in English, so if he wanted Tudor to be the poor man's Rolex, he would have called it that.

"Chill"? I just like the Tudor of yesteryear more than the modern versions

Like this:
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 07:46 AM   #44
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Quote:

👏👏👏 I want to go bowling with you sometime!
Old 24 May 2022, 08:39 AM   #45
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHadEnuf View Post
I want to go bowling with you sometime!
Oh man! I have been playing with a series of injuries that have played hell with my game. Most have healed okay, but I'm still plagued with a bruised heel.

I'm hoping to be well by the fall, though!

Old 24 May 2022, 08:48 AM   #46
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
As mentioned a couple of times above, the dial layouts are the same, but anyway that Tudor dial/hands combo first appeared several decades ago.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=326991

Incidentally the snowflake hands were developed in the 1960s in collaboration with French navy divers to be more legible underwater. The Sub's mercedes hands are a holdover from 1930s Rolex dress-watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_5114.jpg (208.7 KB, 175 views)
Old 24 May 2022, 09:25 AM   #47
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

They compliment each other nicely, although I wouldn't classify a watch retailing at around £3K in SS something a poor man would be able to afford. I suppose it's all relative.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 09:28 AM   #48
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
These days we talk about cities getting "Affordable Housing." Everyone knows what that means.
Yeah. It means housing that only the rich can afford. A misnomer often used in the UK. You have to laugh.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 09:31 AM   #49
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
poor man here

As my username suggests, I am huge Tudor fan. Congrats on your purchase.

I just sold this "poor man's Tudor" last weekend. It's the watch that resembled a submariner, but in my opinion stood out on it's own- yes, it's just a quartz watch, but I still think they are cool...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newtags2.jpg (237.3 KB, 157 views)
Old 24 May 2022, 10:37 AM   #50
beau007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
Congratulations on a beautiful watch! I can see what you said about the BB58 being a mash up of shapes. And I agree, now that you mention it. But it works somehow. Wear it in good health!
beau007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 10:49 AM   #51
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Lol. The designs aren’t deliberately sabotaged. They’re deliberately retro, and, while I don’t love the fake rivets, I still think the new Tudor line is better looking than the current Rolex line, overall, although I’m not really interested in either.

As far as Tudor being a poor man’s Rolex, maybe, although old Subs wouldn’t even be over $2k US today if they actually tracked with inflation. I’d maybe argue that today’s Tudor is yesterday’s Rolex, and today’s Rolex moved upmarket.

Also, the wise marketer that Wildorf was, I suspect that Tudor name was his way of getting around Rolex’s contract with Aegler. The old Tudor line basically recycled various Rolex parts into different combinations and then slapped in good, but non-COSC, movements, so he could sell more watches without being limited to only Aegler movements.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 10:55 AM   #52
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
I agree with your assessment of the mashup of geometric shapes on the dial. I never liked that either, but don't let that spoil your fun - congrats!
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 02:18 PM   #53
Purple Hayz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16753
Quote:
"Chill"? I just like the Tudor of yesteryear more than the modern versions

Like this:
In fairness, is that really a Tudor, though? Swap the top grade ETA in the midcase for an Aegler of the same period, and that's a Rolex in everything but name. Literally ~95% of the watch would be interchangeable. Do we really miss that Tudor? The one that sold 'engine-swapped' Rolexes for decades?
rt1.jpg

At a mere ~35% discount?

Don't get me wrong, they were (and are) great watches, but if you like the Tudor of "yesterday," how do not LOVE the Tudor (rebadged Rolex) of yester-century?

Because the line from here:
ts7924a.jpg

to here...
tudor-black-bay-15.jpg

has basically two stops. The dial/hands from the CN ref. 94010 shown above (post #45), and (bezel) paint job from this late 90s (IIRC) prototype.
Screenshot 2022-05-24 000729.jpg

And the BB 58? Just read the name!

Is not as if they've taken great pains to conceal the provenance, no?
Picture1 (Custom).jpg
Purple Hayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 04:06 PM   #54
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Hayz View Post
In fairness, is that really a Tudor, though? Swap the top grade ETA in the midcase for an Aegler of the same period, and that's a Rolex in everything but name. Literally ~95% of the watch would be interchangeable. Do we really miss that Tudor? The one that sold 'engine-swapped' Rolexes for decades?
Yep, I miss those, because the old Tudor offered variations that Rolex didn’t, like the Submariner with the unique snowflake hands/dial, a steel date-day, a DateJust in a larger 1019 Milgauss case, etc.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 06:06 PM   #55
WILLIWALKER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvelynWaugh View Post
Im a poor man because I buy Rolex
Yep, Healthy people wear (wears?) 50usd watches or no watch
Old 24 May 2022, 07:04 PM   #56
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Casio Duro. Less than $50 and WR 200m
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 08:06 PM   #57
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
I don’t have any Tudors, but from what I’ve seen, felt and read they are pretty good watches. But please, don’t try to compare them to Rolex.
You should have stopped after "I don't have Tudors"

My BB58 blue is every bit as well finished and just as good quality as my SD43. Better in some regards (ceramic "bearings" inn the clasp for example) The only "improvement" the six digit Rolex has is the ceramic bezel.

Rolex is a fantastic brand that makes great products but lets not get carried away here.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 08:07 PM   #58
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Indeed Grady

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 08:46 PM   #59
THC

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
This
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 08:51 PM   #60
Goin2drt
Banned

Congrats.

I want to love this watch so bad but I just can't get my mind past the hour hand and the big square. It just looks dis-proportionate to the rest of the watch.

I also agree with the others that when I did own a Tudor (Heritage Sport Chrono) it just never got any wrist time with the Sub sitting at home.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote