The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2022, 05:14 AM   #1
Mis3
"TRF" Member

Buying a new watch

There is no watch to buy from my local Rolex ADs (Toronto), They would not even put me in the waiting list. I have a friend who often goes to Europe and Middle East, is it easier to buy a Rolex in these countries? He is not a watch person so I am hoping that he can just go to an AD and makes the purchase. He was just in Morocco last week.

BTW. When I bought my 114060 years ago, I just walked into an AD and bought the watch. Miss those simpler days, LOL.
Mis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 05:21 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mis3 View Post
There is no watch to buy from my local Rolex ADs (Toronto), They would not even put me in the waiting list. I have a friend who often goes to Europe and Middle East, is it easier to buy a Rolex in these countries? He is not a watch person so I am hoping that he can just go to an AD and makes the purchase. He was just in Morocco last week.

No
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 05:23 AM   #3
taitun4life
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
There is no watch to buy from my local Rolex ADs (Toronto), They would not even put me in the waiting list. I have a friend who often goes to Europe and Middle East, is it easier to buy a Rolex in these countries. He is not a watch person so I am hoping that he can just go to an AD and makes the purchase. He was just in Morocco last week.

BTW. When I bought my 114060 years ago, I just walked into an AD and bought the watch.
Welcome to the wilderness of the new.... When i got my Hulk in 2016, i was offered and turned it down loads of times waiting for the BLNR. I pulled the trigger eventually as it was a milestone purchase and i didn't want to miss it. Kept hounding my SA at the AD for some months for the BLNR but then life took its tow.

Fast forward 5yrs and i go to same AD for the BLRO and the game is totally different game, luckily i must have made an impression the first time cos the SA recalled me as i did her and we kicked it off gain and i am still waiting for the BLRO almost a year later.

Europe is no better and North Africa is worse. I have been all over the UAE, UK, France, Netherland, South Africa etc over the past year and it is all the same or worse.

My advise is stick with an AD and impress it on the SA [politely] about your interest, grow a rapour and hope for the best. These are times we find ourselves in....

Get what you love and wear ‘em…..

Last edited by taitun4life; 24 May 2022 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: typo
taitun4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 05:27 AM   #4
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
In Europe, ADs have become equally picky and tend to sell to their local established clients first. Having said that, it doesn't hurt trying, you might get lucky. Just be prepared to hear "no" 99% of the time on the hot and super hot models for which waiting lists are pretty much closed.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 05:44 AM   #5
Mis3
"TRF" Member

How does it work? If they have no stock to sell, how do the ADs survive?

Maybe they reserve their stock to their established clients but why turn away good paying customers now and then. I am sure I am not the only one.
Old 24 May 2022, 06:39 AM   #6
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:

Maybe they reserve their stock to their established clients but why turn away good paying customers now and then. I am sure I am not the only one.
Stock is pre-sold. They are surviving rather nicely without the discounts they used to have to give.
Old 24 May 2022, 06:48 AM   #7
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Stock is pre-sold. They are surviving rather nicely without the discounts they used to have to give.
This. And also all the useless sh!t they make you bundle for the whole relationship experience.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 07:03 AM   #8
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
This. And also all the useless sh!t they make you bundle for the whole relationship experience.
Yup. It is called capitalism and marketing, and I do not begrudge AD's their right to do this. They have to invest a lot in uplift and maintenance to get and keep their distributorship, and they must have been as unhappy as we are now when they had to give a 20% discount on SS models and higher on PM.

Personally, I have not purchased any useless @#$%. But then again, and while I have been assured I am in the queue, I am still waiting on the call. Will wait a while, if no joy I will go vintage or buy another Tudor.
Old 24 May 2022, 07:10 AM   #9
MrMikee
"TRF" Member

It’s the same in Europe. Sorry bud!
MrMikee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 07:26 AM   #10
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:

Oh they're selling more watches than ever before. The empty display case is an illusion designed to create the perception of scarcity. The watches are now in the safe.

The AD is very selective these days.

Who gets to buy
- Females (several accounts of going to the AD, then boom a couple days later there's a watch!)
- Whales (big spenders)
- Greys. They buy in bulk.
- Those with a 'relationship' (ie. also big spenders)

My wife couldn't care less about my little hobby, otherwise I'd be sending her in there as an ambassador or proxy of sorts.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 07:34 AM   #11
htrap2294
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Oh they're selling more watches than ever before. The empty display case is an illusion designed to create the perception of scarcity. The watches are now in the safe.

The AD is very selective these days.

Who gets to buy
- Females (several accounts of going to the AD, then boom a couple days later there's a watch!)
- Whales (big spenders)
- Greys. They buy in bulk.
- Those with a 'relationship' (ie. also big spenders)

My wife couldn't care less about my little hobby, otherwise I'd be sending her in there as an ambassador or proxy of sorts.
There are little guys like me who every now and then, do get a shot at a watch they want as well! :D
Old 24 May 2022, 09:09 AM   #12
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I don’t want any watch bad enough to send another guy to buy it for me.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 09:28 AM   #13
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:

They often have some stock. They just don't display it. This gives them more control in who they can offer it to and it avoids the AD being placed in a potentially difficult situation that they likely wish to avoid.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 09:31 AM   #14
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Maybe they reserve their stock to their established clients but why turn away good paying customers now and then.
Greetings from another Ontarian.

Welcome to the pandemic effect on Rolex. You're not a good paying customer in the AD's eyes if you didn't buy non-Rolex products they sell. A Submariner Date was allocated to me in under two months because I bought other things and I'm sure they turned away countless others who didn't spend a dime during time.

That's just how it is at the moment, unfortunately. ADs use Rolex as bargaining chips and hold all the cards. If you don't want to play their games, suck up your pride and pay market value on a grey watch or buy another brand instead. Rolex Collectors of Canada is a buy & sell Facebook group that should give you an idea of current values.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 09:54 AM   #15
jarecki
"TRF" Member

Watch: it.
Quote:

BTW. When I bought my 114060 years ago, I just walked into an AD and bought the watch. Miss those simpler days, LOL.
Europe and Middle East are not countries.
jarecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 10:33 AM   #16
Mis3
"TRF" Member

Strange marketing strategy. I am ready to pay full MSRP or more but they would not sell to me. I am sure I am not alone. Imagine how many customers they turn away……

I may have to go with a Cartier Santos.
Old 24 May 2022, 10:34 AM   #17
Mis3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarecki View Post
Europe and Middle East are not countries.
Thanks for your correction.
I am sure everyone who read my post would understand.