The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 18 January 2021, 04:28 AM   #1
hl0m4n
"TRF" Member

Icon3 ► Exploring AP Purchase

i am itching for a new watch this year and decided on a 44mm roo. this would be my first watch into the brand and am excited on the hunt .

after watching countless youtube videos and having a dssd as my daily, i see myself pulling off the 44mm. i was highly debating over the "ghost" 42mm but ultimately the pushers and non numeric dial on the 44 won me over.
in regards to the 26400IO.OO.A004CA.01, the few questions i have are:

1. the msrp is $36,200 however, i am seeing brand new ones on chrono24 listed at $28-29,000. with warranty dates in 2017 and 2018 mostly. is depreciation on this particular watch normal? if so, what is this a fair price or can you go a few thousand lower?

2. any particular model years to avoid or any particular years with any updates to look out for?

3. do the ap boutiques discount this watch in store? i imagine not to the amounts on chrono but if its a few thousand more than chrono, i would rather buy directly from an ad.

4. any particular reason 26400IO.OO.A004CA.02 is retaining value more closely to msrp? is this a relatively new release?

5. i am assuming warranty is like rolex, following the watch not the owner?

thanks for all the help guys and please chime in with other recommendations and any feedback is much appreciated .
hl0m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 05:46 AM   #2
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
This is a stunning Offshore. It’s discontinued and unlikely to still be available from a boutique but you may find new ones on C24. If you can wear a 44mm without it’s looking too big then that would be my preference over a 42mm and the ceramic bezel models seem to hold value better.

Just so you’re aware and to help you avoid a potentially embarrassing situation there are no discounts available from any AP boutique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 07:00 AM   #3
Bushido
"TRF" Member

I have both the JC DSSD as well as the newer AP 44mm chrono with blue subdials. Really enjoy them both. I can say that the AP does wear larger in length and diameter to the DSSD on the wrist. I think it's due to the larger lugs as well as chrono pushers. DSSD sits taller on the wrist.

As to pricing: I think it's simply that the blue subdialed model is new vs the older version which has been out for a while.

I also agree with Ash that you should not expect any discounting from an AP boutique.
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 07:07 AM   #4
7sins
"TRF" Member

Have you thought about the 42mm ROO with all of the 44mm ROO features? Fits much better on the wrist for those with average to smaller wrists. Based on your original thoughts this might align more with what you are looking for, should get at discount to msrp.

Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 07:07 AM   #5
7sins
"TRF" Member

Double post
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
Old 18 January 2021, 09:46 AM   #6
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Have you seen/tried the 26400IO.OO.A004CA.02 in person? It looks very different than in the AP render. I thought it was stunning and quite comfy, but in particular the ceramic bezel looks nothing like on the AP website. I think discounts will be hard to come by at the boutique - for this one I don't even see much of a discount on C24.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26400io.jpg (84.4 KB, 606 views)
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 10:04 AM   #7
hl0m4n
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Have you thought about the 42mm ROO with all of the 44mm ROO features? Fits much better on the wrist for those with average to smaller wrists. Based on your original thoughts this might align more with what you are looking for, should get at discount to msrp.

haha yes i thought of this watch a great deal as well. it was almost perfect to my eye at first and i actually like the date window (only thing missing on daytona imo).

after watching countless youtube videos, i can't help but to see the dial appears to be too small in comparison to the bezel and overall watch. it looks like the dial spacing is a bit tight and really shows what a difference the extra 2mm makes on dial appearance.
Old 18 January 2021, 10:05 AM   #8
hl0m4n
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Have you seen/tried the 26400IO.OO.A004CA.02 in person? It looks very different than in the AP render. I thought it was stunning and quite comfy, but in particular the ceramic bezel looks nothing like on the AP website. I think discounts will be hard to come by at the boutique - for this one I don't even see much of a discount on C24.
thank you for posting this, and you are right the rendering is way off. on the site. i was hoping for a more gunmetal bezel to offset the dial, but it seems more true to silver. the blue dial though is very nice though.
Old 18 January 2021, 10:10 AM   #9
hl0m4n
"TRF" Member

the more i look at the various dial colors i am still leaning towards the 26400IO.OO.A004CA.01. the red accents on the chrono and hands are whats doing it for me, i like the contrast.

if the model is discontinued, am i wrong to say if i can pick this up for $25-26k it would be a good deal? the ones on c24 range from unworn to fairly new.

does anybody know when productions started and ended for this particular model?
Old 18 January 2021, 10:22 AM   #10
rolex16
Banned

As far as I know, it is not discontinued. I just purchased from the NYC boutique in late October. I bought from the boutique because the prices I was seeing for NIB were not much off from MSRP. Used were in the $26k range. But since then, the price has gone up $4k, so would expect secondary to increase as well.
rolex16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:54 PM   #11
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
haha yes i thought of this watch a great deal as well. it was almost perfect to my eye at first and i actually like the date window (only thing missing on daytona imo).

after watching countless youtube videos, i can't help but to see the dial appears to be too small in comparison to the bezel and overall watch. it looks like the dial spacing is a bit tight and really shows what a difference the extra 2mm makes on dial appearance.
Try to see it in person! The dial is definitely not too small optically speaking. Just my .02
Old 18 January 2021, 07:14 PM   #12
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
This is a stunning Offshore. It’s discontinued...
Is there an easy way to figure out what is and is not discontinued?

Clearly the AP website is zero help (even though they have a "legacy" section of their collection).

GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 08:21 PM   #13
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

Clearly the AP website is zero help (even though they have a "legacy" section of their collection).

You’re referring to the white/silver dial steel 44, is that correct?

Old 18 January 2021, 10:45 PM   #14
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

I thought that if you go to AP website, anything that doesn't show on section "Watch Browser" means "Discontinued".

Or when you search that particular model at their website, it will not show the price or say not for sale.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 10:50 PM   #15
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
I thought that if you go to AP website, anything that doesn't show on section "Watch Browser" means "Discontinued".

Or when you search that particular model at their website, it will not show the price or say not for sale.
I'm not sure that's always the case. All the boutiques are telling me that the 26405CE is discontinued, but it's right there on the website for $39200.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 03:24 AM   #16
hl0m4n
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
You’re referring to the white/silver dial steel 44, is that correct?

hey ash, i am referring to: https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....OO.A004CA.01/
Old 19 January 2021, 06:54 AM   #17
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
I'm not sure that's always the case. All the boutiques are telling me that the 26405CE is discontinued, but it's right there on the website for $39200.
I dont understand what AP is doing with showing price increases on discontinued models but I asked multiple boutiques and this one is definitely discontinued. One of my favorite ROO 44mm watches.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 08:48 AM   #18
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post

Sadly, it's not true.

If it's listed in their regular collection, it's still possibly discontinued (even if they show new / raised pricing).

I'd wager at least 30% of what you see in their "regular collection" on their website is no longer available for ordering.

Lange has this problem too. As does Richard Mille (probably the worst offender of all).

Who doesn't? Rolex and Patek.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2021, 04:01 PM   #19
hl0m4n
"TRF" Member

thanks guys for the help thus far. i am fixated on the gray/black combo on 26400IO.OO.A004CA.01.

looking at c24, it seems $29-30k is avg going price.
using 30k as example - $2,250 (7.5% c24 fee) - $2,000 mark up = $25,750

if there is a watch near me and i buy directly in store, what would you offer the watch? $23k? $24k?

did some digging on the forum regarding warranty and it seems there is no issue registering a preowned watch under your own ap account as long as you have the required information. does the 5 year extend to the new owner?
Old 5 February 2021, 04:16 PM   #20
AshAP
"TRF" Member

► Exploring AP Purchase

BTW I was previously referring to the wrong SS model. The model you want is titanium. This is a great watch too although I have a slight preference for the steel & silver dial that was replaced by the model that you’re now interested in.

You won’t receive any discount from an AP boutique which you will be made aware of should you ask directly. However if you’ve seen this watch in a non AP owned store then I’d negotiate as hard as possible even though you’ll probably just be told that it’s already a good price, which it seems to be as $25k is roughly £18k and that’s good.

Check that the ceramic bezel doesn’t have any tiny chips in it as that’ll be £2k for a replacement bezel.