The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 January 2020, 10:05 AM   #31
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
What do *you* think about it?
I knew a veteran TFR member would ask this.
A Zenith Daytona is definitely the more desirable watch for me. Plus, I’m not a fan of 6-digit cases. Still, the LV and BLNR is a lot to give up.

However, I wanted to still get opinions.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 10:06 AM   #32
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

No way.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 10:13 AM   #33
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn't make that trade. If you didn't mind Rolesor you could get a 116503 plus cash for those 2.
433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 10:17 AM   #34
djgallo
Banned

The Zenith Daytona is Iconic....discontinued and already a rising collectable.

The Batman and Hulk are very nice watches but they are not in the same class....they may be some day....but we are talking about today.

The full set 16520 Zenith Daytona (depending on condition) is selling for 25K-35K.

Full set (depending on condition) Hulk 13-15K, Batman 13-16K. If you purchased at MSRP you are in the cat bird seat.

I know all (3) watches very well. I would take the white dial Zenith Daytona as it is a WIN today...and in the future. You can always pick up another Hulk and Batman down the road....picking up another 16520 will probably be much more costly considering ongoing appreciation.
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 10:44 AM   #35
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreelex View Post
What would your advice be then? Even if armed with the knowledge of the coveted Zenith Daytona, unless OP is a hard core collector, most would say no. A movement doesn't make a watch. Even with practicality, a Sub and/ or GMT is way more useful. I got rid of all my chronographs for this reason. Who honestly uses it... really...

I wouldn't do it OP.
I have quite a few watches including BLNR, SubC, Explorer and DSOTM. If you want to be sensible and only have features you would use then the Explorer is the no brainer, no other watches needed.

I only use the bezel on my SubC to time calls, check parking meters etc. The only complication I use on my BLNR for the date, never for the GMT, as my Sub doesn't have a date.

We're talking Rolex here, not G-Shock. The use of the complication is nearly always irrelevant. Never using the chronograph is no reason not to buy a Daytona.

As for my opinion? As irrelevant as the chronograph complication, it isn't my money. I was just cautioning the OP as to how much the 6 digit watches are obsessively loved here so a rational view isn't one they'll get from the audience here. The opinion of Ken/Highlander would be one I would be interested in here as he has all the watches mentioned and is an extremely seasoned collector whose opinion will hold weight.
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 12:04 PM   #36
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Your collection is beautiful.

Personally, I'm getting bored of the 6-digits maxi cases. I wouldn't do a trade though, I would sell them separately for top dollar, and then get the daytona if that's what you really want.
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 01:03 PM   #37
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
I wouldn’t do such a trade, but only because I can’t think of anything I’d give up my LVc for. The BLNR I’d give up in a minute, but it’s all about how important acquiring the zenith would be to you.

It sounds like you’re somewhat ambivalent about the 6-digit cases, so maybe you’d be happier with the Daytona. I’m sure you’ll make the best decision for your wrist, whatever it may be.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 01:15 PM   #38
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Seems like a fair trade for a clean 16520. I’m not fan of the LVC and they’re selling for a premium so I’d cash in on the current premium pricing. The Zenith Daytonas are beauties with their brushed lugs and contrasting sub dial rings. I wish I had the foresight to get one when they were priced at under $10k just a few years ago.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 11:01 PM   #39
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

i agree about the 16520 case. Too bad the center links aren’t 100% brushed like the early models :)

Looked at 16520 2010 prices last Thursday night. Compete A-serial 16520 sets were going for $9k-$10k. Jumped $15k in 9 years but the main pop was in the last 2.5 years. Not bad for a 1998-2000 MSRP of $5,100.

I know the BLNR & LVc jumped pretty well also from their $9000ish MSRP but I'm just worried the 16520 will just keep increasing more %s and I’ll end up just paying more (like when I didn’t buy it 2 years ago). Then again, the LVc will skyrocket when retired especially if not replaced (not for another 9-10 years if Rolex sticks to past model life cycle durations). Some of the luster has been removed from the BLNR because of the new version & SS BLRO despite not having Oyster bracelets.

I don’t mean to sound like an investor because I am NOT.
Unfortunately, I have to consider price, market, overall economy, etc... when buying because all watch purchases since last yr need to be funded from ones sold in the collection. The days of spending annual bonuses and selling old stuff (like I did to buy the BLNR & LVc) are over. That money goes into College 529s for my kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
Seems like a fair trade for a clean 16520. I’m not fan of the LVC and they’re selling for a premium so I’d cash in on the current premium pricing. The Zenith Daytonas are beauties with their brushed lugs and contrasting sub dial rings. I wish I had the foresight to get one when they were priced at under $10k just a few years ago.
Old 5 January 2020, 12:16 AM   #40
Wimbledon
Banned

Watch: Me Serve
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb55 View Post
I think a lot of people here are 6 digit fans and don't understand what a Zenith Daytona is so you are asking an audience who aren't armed with the knowledge to answer your question.

Be cautious with the advice you're taking from this thread.
^^^

Agree 100%. I dislike Daytonas (all of them) but I wouldn't take the crowds advice here on this one.
Wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 12:20 AM   #41
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Myself would not do that trade, IMHO the Daytona is a great watch but very over internet hyped, but many today wear the hype and not the watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 12:23 AM   #42
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I wouldn’t trade 2 for 1, but Zenith Daytonas are very nice
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 12:26 AM   #43
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb55 View Post
I think a lot of people here are 6 digit fans and don't understand what a Zenith Daytona is so you are asking an audience who aren't armed with the knowledge to answer your question.

Be cautious with the advice you're taking from this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
^^^

Agree 100%. I dislike Daytonas (all of them) but I wouldn't take the crowds advice here on this one.
I think you both are under crediting the TRF community. It’s a Rolex and there are plenty of members here (myself included) that are very familiar with 5 digits including the 16520
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 12:31 AM   #44
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Not sure I would trade 1 of those two to make the deal. The Daytona isn’t worth more than 1 of the other watches. As mentioned above, internet hype has a lot of minds twisted on how special/valuable a Daytona is compared to other Rolex models.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 01:12 AM   #45
thui0708
Banned

Watch: 116500
You have a nice collection already. At the end of the day, go with your heart. Whatever make you happy since there is no wrong question.
thui0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 01:34 AM   #46
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Friends,

Many thanks for the opinions. I appreciate the feedback.

Nah, I’m not one about hype just like buying what appeals to me.

My gut and heart say go for the 16520. I can probably trade / sell a 16610LN (instead of the LVC) along with the BLNR & bite the bullet on the money difference.

I agree about with many of you about the “worth” of a 5 & 6 digit Daytona but 16520 A and P serials have been selling for over $21k without box & papers for good condition ones (for the last 6 months). Sure, you can find cheaper sales but they usually are average condition.

Easily add $3k -$4k more to the above numbers for a complete set. Personally, I don’t care about papers except for when it comes to watches like the 16610V and maybe models like this one.

From my research and TRF posts, I think many folks didn’t realize 16520’s value with all the threads about “going prices” for the BLNR, Daytona C, & LVC.

Once again, thanks.
Old 5 January 2020, 01:44 AM   #47
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Not sure I would trade 1 of those two to make the deal. The Daytona isn’t worth more than 1 of the other watches. As mentioned above, internet hype has a lot of minds twisted on how special/valuable a Daytona is compared to other Rolex models.
I agree, but think the hype is much more severe for the LVC. It was only a few short years ago when LVCs were languishing in display cases until internet hype and rumors of discontinuation set in.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 01:46 AM   #48
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Any other info on the Daytona? Seems full set (minus tags and calendar — which isn’t a big deal). Needs service...ok...what’s the condition? has it been polished?

Personally, I’d do the trade. Especially given your current collection. It fits. And seems that you prefer the 5 digit references. Also the Zenith Daytona is definitely a collectible and full sets in amazing condition and just going up and will continue to $ wise.

I’ll be the voice of reason - there is NOTHING special about the LVc or BLNR - unless you “love” all of the hype. That’s it.
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 01:49 AM   #49
GRabens
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many Rolex!
I think the 16520 is undervalued. Theses were the first Rolex watches with an extended waiting list in the early 90's that I am aware of. I know my AD back in the early 90s said they were only getting 2 per year. These are much more rare than the newer versions of the Daytona.
GRabens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 01:50 AM   #50
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
I agree, but think the hype is much more severe for the LVC. It was only a few short years ago when LVCs were languishing in display cases until internet hype and rumors of discontinuation set in.
EXACTLY. When I bought my LVc - it had been sitting in the case for a year plus and I got at a NICE discount. ADs couldn’t GIVE them away. Ergo - the flooded secondary market.
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 01:59 AM   #51
GSBC
"TRF" Member

I would never do that...and I love Daytona’s.
GSBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 02:03 AM   #52
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I wouldn’t.
Old 5 January 2020, 02:05 AM   #53
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
No, not even close.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 02:13 AM   #54
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
i agree about the 16520 case. Too bad the center links aren’t 100% brushed like the early models :)

Looked at 16520 2010 prices last Thursday night. Compete A-serial 16520 sets were going for $9k-$10k. Jumped $15k in 9 years but the main pop was in the last 2.5 years. Not bad for a 1998-2000 MSRP of $5,100.

I know the BLNR & LVc jumped pretty well also from their $9000ish MSRP but I'm just worried the 16520 will just keep increasing more %s and I’ll end up just paying more (like when I didn’t buy it 2 years ago). Then again, the LVc will skyrocket when retired especially if not replaced (not for another 9-10 years if Rolex sticks to past model life cycle durations). Some of the luster has been removed from the BLNR because of the new version & SS BLRO despite not having Oyster bracelets.

I don’t mean to sound like an investor because I am NOT.
Unfortunately, I have to consider price, market, overall economy, etc... when buying because all watch purchases since last yr need to be funded from ones sold in the collection. The days of spending annual bonuses and selling old stuff (like I did to buy the BLNR & LVc) are over. That money goes into College 529s for my kids.
The 16520 is a watch you have had your eyes on for a long time so this is obviously not an impulse buy. If you truly love the watch and would wear it on a regular basis, I say do the trade. None of us can predict the future here as far as pricing and availability goes, so you have to play the hand you have now.

Don’t get hung up on what you think future values might be. Holding onto a watch for 9-10 years because it may be discontinued and appreciate is the wrong reason to own a watch IMO. Especially when you could have owned something you really wanted and had years of enjoyment from wearing it. Good luck with the decision!
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 03:01 AM   #55
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Good question. Contains the box, paperwork, all links, correct period bracelet, no service parts on the watch, never been polished so all lines / edges are crisp, hands and dial are excellent, correct color lume,bezel insert has 2 minor scratches but across the text, no insert paint is faded nor missing, the clasp's coronet is full to support the never been polished statement, and very little bracelet stretch.

It def needs an overhaul service which Rolex will want to also replace the crown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Any other info on the Daytona? Seems full set (minus tags and calendar — which isn’t a big deal). Needs service...ok...what’s the condition? has it been polished?

Personally, I’d do the trade. Especially given your current collection. It fits. And seems that you prefer the 5 digit references. Also the Zenith Daytona is definitely a collectible and full sets in amazing condition and just going up and will continue to $ wise.

I’ll be the voice of reason - there is NOTHING special about the LVc or BLNR - unless you “love” all of the hype. That’s it.
Old 5 January 2020, 03:07 AM   #56
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

This 16520 thread also had some good info and supported what I’ve read and talked w/ people about prior to posting here.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=477963

One of my searches.
https://www.rolexforums.com/search.p...rchid=25170019
Old 5 January 2020, 03:21 AM   #57
vicsdca
Banned

Are you out of your mind? It's not a fair trade at all.
vicsdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 03:24 AM   #58
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post

I agree with your logic and given the OP’s collection, seems to make sense
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 03:25 AM   #59
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I wouldn’t trade those two watches for the Daytona even if I was trading in your pieces and keeping the Daytona for myself.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 03:26 AM   #60
Swilder916
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126619LB
Never. Nope.

Tags
16520 , daytona , rolex , trade , zenith