The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 January 2021, 05:33 PM   #31
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher36 View Post
I would buy the one in the best condition regardless of papers, box or price.
Exactly that..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 06:45 PM   #32
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Only with box and papers.
There are so many complete sets, good running condition 16710 for sale I would not even look at incomplete sets.
Adding service papers is from a collectors point of view not so interesting and will set you back around 1K.

Should you ever need to sell you will be glad you bought the full set
Old 10 January 2021, 08:52 PM   #33
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher36 View Post
I would buy the one in the best condition regardless of papers, box or price.
Absolutely
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 11:32 PM   #34
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Hello Grant.

Unless I read your last post incorrectly, warranty papers didn't indicate the bezel color on foreign/domestic GMTs until around 1998. You can also find the bezel color on some of the hang tags too.

Howdy JP!

Always best to hear from an expert like you. I did not know the papers would not indicate color, before that time period! Learn something every day. Much to learn.
Old 11 January 2021, 04:08 AM   #35
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
Howdy JP!

Always best to hear from an expert like you. I did not know the papers would not indicate color, before that time period! Learn something every day. Much to learn.
They all had A codes on the typed papers, to include the 16750s, until around 1998. On the typed papers, the USA papers would indicate the bracelet type in the style number found in the top right corner of the warranty paper by the serial number. The last four digits of the style number indicated the bracelet type - i.e. 7836 was a 78360 Oyster, 6251 indicated a 62510 Jubilee, 9315 indicated a 93150 Oyster and etc. etc.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 04:16 AM   #36
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utomow View Post
I would not bother with the paper as long as I will use it for myself in long period of time AND I manage to get confirmation on the authenticity of the piece. You can bring it to RSC for a check but not sure if they are willing to issue some kind of authenticity check certificate.
This is how I'd do it. 16710 models are soooo expensive and saving some money on the purchase will allow you to get different inserts.

As far as an authenticity check, they sort of do in their own way when it's serviced and they give you a guarantee.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 04:18 AM   #37
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Always buy the one in the best shape! All else comes later.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 04:19 AM   #38
Viking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If it’s for everyday wear, I’d buy without papers. You don’t wear the paper and box.
This!
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:26 PM   #39
tahitianmoon
Banned

Watch: AP 15400ST
I like the paperwork because I'm interested in the journey of the watch- but I would definitely buy one without papers from a trusted seller for a discount.
tahitianmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 03:41 PM   #40
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Maybe there are some differences between RSC.
But the RSC in my neighborhood seems to know what the original bezel insert color is.
And no, they won't put in any color you want. Has to be the original one.

YMMV.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 04:56 PM   #41
tom2
Banned

My friends frowned at it years back when I bought my first Rolex without paper and box, and I never went that route again, but I don't see any problem with it if you are buying from a reputable seller.
tom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 06:35 PM   #42
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
I realize you can get inserts elsewhere, my question was from a different angle. What if I buy a 16710 that has a pepsi insert. But no papers to confirm that was the original configuration. Let's just say it was originally an all black bezel but I don't know this. Is there any chance that when I send this in to RSC they tell me they are "required" to replace the bezel and make it all black again?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
100% chance
Old 24 January 2021, 06:58 PM   #43
1lastone
"TRF" Member

Watch: El primero
Not a deal breaker if seller is trusted, condition is king. The “paper” is just an expired warranty. Get it serviced by RSC and fresh warranty and you are all set.
1lastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 07:12 PM   #44
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Quote:
If it’s for everyday wear, I’d buy without papers. You don’t wear the paper and box.

I am a GMT nut and I’ve owned many. As a collector, I like to have the full set. Box, papers, books. But unless you really care about that, save the $$ and get the watch only.

Depends on how OCD you are, as a collector.

The papers tell you what the watch is. Papers are the only way to know what insert was original to the watch.
Ex. 16710B

B is Pepsi.
A is coke.
N (or LN) is black bezel insert.

If you can wear the watch and enjoy it without having this nagging question as to “what insert did it come with”?, then you should just get a watch only.

And get a bunch of inserts and read up on changing inserts. It’s easy and awesome to do.

This only in the US, In Europe is not possible to know !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 07:12 PM   #45
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZCaL View Post
I’m loving the 16710 but have a dilemma. Would you buy one in excellent condition but no history and without paper for about $1600 less than one with box and paper? Both are from reputable sellers.

I’ve been researching and found others would send it off to RSC and change the inserts during the process.

What are your thoughts?
Ask yourself do you wear the box as for the so called papers well in the real world its now a outdated bit of paper. And today these bits of paper are far easier to fake than the watch. Always buy first the seller and price if no service history have it RSC serviced. Then you will have service paper/card with all watch details on and will be act like full two year warranty.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 11:33 PM   #46
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
In my experience, papers not only improve the resale price, but make it a quicker flip.

It's all moot if you want to be buried with it.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 11:39 PM   #47
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

I am a GMT nut and I’ve owned many. As a collector, I like to have the full set. Box, papers, books. But unless you really care about that, save the $$ and get the watch only.

Depends on how OCD you are, as a collector.

The papers tell you what the watch is. Papers are the only way to know what insert was original to the watch.
Ex. 16710B

B is Pepsi.
A is coke.
N (or LN) is black bezel insert.

If you can wear the watch and enjoy it without having this nagging question as to “what insert did it come with”?, then you should just get a watch only.

And get a bunch of inserts and read up on changing inserts. It’s easy and awesome to do.
Great advice Grant
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 11:48 PM   #48
Andrew NYC
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

I have a 16710 from the mid 90’s. Got it from a friend who was the original owner who wore it hard for 25+ years. Sent it off to the NY RSC for a full service. The original Coke insert was a little dented but Rolex did not suggest for it to be replaced. Picked up the watch and when wearing it thought it would be great to try a Pepsi insert. Went back to the RSC and asked if they would put in a Pepsi insert and they said no problem. Said there were two options, pay a lower price for the new insert and they keep the old Coke insert or pay a slightly higher price and I could keep the old insert. I of course opted for the latter. They installed the insert then and there. As it was close to the service date there was no charge for installing it. They put the old Coke insert in the little plastic box that the Pepsi insert came in.

I know others have had different experiences purchasing inserts however my experience was a little over a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 11:56 PM   #49
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Would you buy a 16710 without paper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Great advice Grant

Thx Brian. I was a little off.

Springer chimed in with the best info. The color was indicated on papers in the US, but they all had A codes until about 1998. The colors could only be confirmed on the papers after about 1998.
Old 25 January 2021, 12:08 AM   #50
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Thx Brian. I was a little off.

Springer chimed in with the best info. The color was indicated on papers in the US, but they all had A codes until about 1998. The colors could only be confirmed on the papers after about 1998.
Understood

I was coming at it more from the owner perspective that you gave which in my opinion is spot on.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:47 AM   #51
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy74 View Post
Hey that’s a beautiful bracelet here! I bet the watch did not come on this one. Did you swap it with one of your other pieces or did you buy it as a standalone? I would love a solid bracelet (and a glidelock) on my 2007 16710 pepsi (no holes are the best)
Good eye it came with the original SEL 78790A bracelet. I took off the original oyster clasp and modded it with a Glidelock.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote