The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 January 2021, 01:57 AM   #31
sambb
"TRF" Member

demand exceeds supply, so it often isnt fair. Be prepared for long wait, or go gray, or look at other nice brands like omega or many others
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:00 AM   #32
vipergts
"TRF" Member

everything else in life should be handed to you as well
vipergts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:04 AM   #33
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Great idea in theory
But it falls flat on it's face because Rolex can't make enough watches(for commercial reasons) for everybody that wants one
Can't or won't?
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:33 AM   #34
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsprings View Post
I have read many so posts about other members collecting watches, and I feel there are steel sports watches out there, but not available to me from an AD at msrp, simply because I don't splash out loads of money on jewelry that I don't want.
I went past a pawnbrokers today, and saw a pre-owned steel Submariner in the window, sitting in a shallow green box. Thought to myself, doesn't look like the official deeper box green box my last rolex came in (11 years ago), complete with an outer protective sleeve? Don't think I shall bother to go in and look, and once I thought that, I thought why am I bothered to even want another rolex?
I think it's about time we should be able to put our names on a central waiting list at Rolex head office, where we would then be notified where to collect our desired watch, when it came in, available at our local AD.
I buy a blue SkyDweller and a GMT BLRO with no history and no buy anything else. For SkyDweller I wait one year and for BLRO 2 years.
So please I don’t want to see this complaining.....
My experience with Rolex show me if you go to a Rolex Boutique and talk with seller and show them you a re really a watch lover not a watch guy who want a Steel Rolex because of it’s value on second hand market.....I think you will received what you wish....
This is my story and I can say there is and AD with honor and honesty.....
About that Jewelry who are and Rolex AD I can’t say nothing because I don’t go there to buy a watch...
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 03:11 AM   #35
Madman37
"TRF" Member

It sounds so random how ADs work.
Madman37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 04:28 AM   #36
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Work with your AD, there are a number of people who have picked up one of the sought after models with little or no prior purchase history at the store.

I have the watches I want but without jumping through any hoops at the AD or having to sell my soul so it can be done.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 04:42 AM   #37
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Personally I'm annoyed by playing the game.
I'm on multiple lists for different watches, with this feeling:
If I get them, good.
If I don't get them, good.

I wanted a diver, I liked very much the Omega NTTD as well as the Sub no data.
I got the NTTD and actually passed on the Sub no data (I have been on that list for almost two years, and would have got the new one). I might even have scored some "AD Rolex I'm not a flipper game points" for my move :)
Why I did it? Because I actually liked the NTTD better on my wrist, and decided I didn't really care about reselling value, and all the non sense about the market and hot references... etc.

I'm still on lists for a Batman, a RO, the Snoopy... and more.

My suggestion is diversify, wait without frustrations, look what is around that you may genuinely like, and be happy!
My personal point is also never above MRSP for any watch, any model, any brand.
I'll never be so obsessed to give flippers and resellers even 50 bucks more than the market price.
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 05:46 AM   #38
kizerman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
In 20 years my total expenditure on jewellery at an AD is a massive $0.00 .
Mine is also $0.00.

And to those that can't seem to get a smaller AD to work with you may need to look in the mirror. Maybe you are not as personable or pleasant as you think.

If you stop in and express interest in one specific watch then follow up occasionally, IN PERSON, you will get your watch in a reasonable amount of time.

Those who say they will take any SS watch or request several come off as flippers.

Once you have a history with that first watch, it's even easier.
kizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 05:51 AM   #39
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by afmars View Post
You have two options:
1) convince an AD that you are worth selling a desirable piece to
2) go gray

There’s not much more to be said.

/\ /\ /\ Currently .................. it will change, when it does, dealers will beg.
Old 24 January 2021, 06:11 AM   #40
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
I have read many so posts about other members collecting watches, and I feel there are steel sports watches out there, but not available to me from an AD at msrp, simply because I don't splash out loads of money on jewelry that I don't want.
I went past a pawnbrokers today, and saw a pre-owned steel Submariner in the window, sitting in a shallow green box. Thought to myself, doesn't look like the official deeper box green box my last rolex came in (11 years ago), complete with an outer protective sleeve? Don't think I shall bother to go in and look, and once I thought that, I thought why am I bothered to even want another rolex?
I think it's about time we should be able to put our names on a central waiting list at Rolex head office, where we would then be notified where to collect our desired watch, when it came in, available at our local AD.
Dream on
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 06:14 AM   #41
Watch Maniac
"TRF" Member

I check in with my AD every single week I will not give up trying to get a SS Sub.
Watch Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 06:34 AM   #42
MalcolmSquare
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270
The hard truth is that MSRP is now an almost meaningless figure for certain models because the market has placed a higher price on these watches. If you cannot afford to pay the gray premium or for additional items from an AD (through bundling or buying history), then you cannot afford the watch. If you can afford the new price, but refuse on principle to pay more than MSRP, then you'll have to wait for the market to change or for lighting to strike.
MalcolmSquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 11:26 AM   #43
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

If you cannot afford to pay the gray premium or for additional items from an AD (through bundling or buying history), then you cannot afford the watch.

This old chestnut always comes up,....If you don't want to pay the grey market price, 'you cannot afford the watch'. What do you know, making such a grand statement?
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 11:33 AM   #44
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Ask your doctor if Rolexic (unobtainium blocker) is right for you.[/QUOTE]
Nah!.....That's the condition for those who cannot stop buying yet another rolex when they have a safe full of them at home. A 70hr reserve for such watches makes no difference! Do they ever get worn on the wrist?
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 12:02 PM   #45
kizerman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Maniac View Post
I check in with my AD every single week I will not give up trying to get a SS Sub.
This could be your problem. I'd back off a bit and stop in, IN PERSON, once a month or so. They only get 2 shipments/ month. Stop by and talk to the management about watches in general and don't be pushy.

Most people in that industry love watches and are happy to talk to educated customers. I've come to enjoy chatting with the Manager at my AD. He is a nice guy and very knowledgeable. I've learned a lot in chatting with him.
Old 24 January 2021, 12:15 PM   #46
Watch Maniac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizerman View Post
This could be your problem. I'd back off a bit and stop in, IN PERSON, once a month or so. They only get 2 shipments/ month. Stop by and talk to the management about watches in general and don't be pushy.

Most people in that industry love watches and are happy to talk to educated customers. I've come to enjoy chatting with the Manager at my AD. He is a nice guy and very knowledgeable. I've learned a lot in chatting with him.

I do stop in trust me I do. I just like to check In from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 January 2021, 12:20 PM   #47
kizerman
Banned

Quote:
I do stop in trust me I do. I just like to check In from time to time.

Gotcha but my point was, maybe not every week. They probably find that a bit annoying.
Old 24 January 2021, 12:22 PM   #48
Watch Maniac
"TRF" Member

Okay boss

Old 24 January 2021, 12:37 PM   #49
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rolex doesn't care if you want a watch. They sell to the ADs and the ADs decide which customers to sell to.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 12:42 PM   #50
kizerman
Banned

Quote:
Okay boss

Hey man, you're the one waiting on a watch. I did it my way and had a BLRO in a month. Just this week got the first turquoise OP to come in. All with no buying history.
Old 24 January 2021, 01:55 PM   #51
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay boss

This kind of response says a lot lmao. It's no wonder they don't want to bend over backwards for you.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:17 PM   #52
MalcolmSquare
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270
Quote:
This old chestnut always comes up,....If you don't want to pay the grey market price, 'you cannot afford the watch'. What do you know, making such a grand statement?
The rules are simple, my man. Pay the premium or wait. I think that’s pretty clear and uncontroversial at this point. If you can afford to pay the premium but choose not to, do please let us know why. Are you opposed to paying more than MSRP on principle? Is the watch simply not worth it to you? Both are fine reasons, but will not lead to you getting the watch at the price and on the timeline you desire unless you get incredibly lucky. Your idea for a central waiting list is both unrealistic and probably counterproductive to you for the reasons already mentioned.
MalcolmSquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:34 PM   #53
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
If you want a sub just go in and register your interest. Talk about watches. Try on a DJ41 or even better just buy one you like. They have a half dozen subs in the back they just don't want to let them go without leveraging them.
Old 24 January 2021, 02:36 PM   #54
kizerman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
This kind of response says a lot lmao. It's no wonder they don't want to bend over backwards for you.
Yep.
Old 24 January 2021, 02:38 PM   #55
kizerman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
. They have a half dozen subs in the back they just don't want to let them go without leveraging them.
Yeah, not even close.
Old 24 January 2021, 03:55 PM   #56
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizerman View Post
Yeah, not even close.

That's weird because my wife walked in and asked for a sub and walked out with mine. I'm sure you're right.
Old 24 January 2021, 04:42 PM   #57
kizerman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
That's weird because my wife walked in and asked for a sub and walked out with mine. I'm sure you're right.
That's great. No AD has 6 of them in the safe. Most AD's haven't seen 3 since the release.
Old 24 January 2021, 04:51 PM   #58
aff1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmars View Post
You have two options:
1) convince an AD that you are worth selling a desirable piece to
2) go gray

There’s not much more to be said.
Exactly... we all face the same situation and we have to just settle for the available option or just wait for the call.
aff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 05:24 PM   #59
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
If you cannot afford to pay the gray premium or for additional items from an AD (through bundling or buying history), then you cannot afford the watch.

Maybe it’s time for you to find another brand
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 05:28 PM   #60
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Totally outside this craze. Very happy in the 5-digit world. Plenty of great watches there and you cannot lose.