The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 May 2021, 04:14 PM   #1
tecknit
"TRF" Member

214270 MK2 and MK1 - underwhelming, bad Youtube advice

I've owned both 214270 mark 1 and mark 2 in the past and traded them for a Hulk and Pepsi and I have to say that I am so much happier. I bought into the Explorer due to advice from "YouTube gurus" that the watch is "the only one you need" or the "perfect one watch collection". I have to say, it's all BS. The watch is boring and the only thing good about it is the clasp.

Maybe it's just me but I've found that the ultimate Rolex model is the Submariner. Not even the GMT Master or Daytona.
tecknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 04:23 PM   #2
drrd
"TRF" Member

I'd probably agree re Sub style but I'd go a bit further and say Sea Dweller or DSSD as Sub is a bit small for me.

But yeah as a package difficult to beat.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 04:26 PM   #3
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
More fool you for listening to “you tube gurus” without using your own head to make a decision.
Old 11 May 2021, 04:31 PM   #4
tecknit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonaG View Post
More fool you for listening to “you tube gurus” without using your own head to make a decision.
I started off with SEIKO and CASIO and got sucked into watching YouTube videos for watch purchasing advice. When I eventually wanted to go for a Rolex I followed their advice and bought an Explorer. I was pleased because I never experienced a Submariner. And after getting one, I could never go back. The YouTube gurus are people like TGV and Bark & Jack. They shill the Explorer no tomorrow
Old 11 May 2021, 04:34 PM   #5
vlps
"TRF" Member

Every rolex model has its cult following, including the submariner you praise. I own explorer and the sub, and enjoy both but I know that some dislike them for being almost too plain and boring.
vlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 04:37 PM   #6
drrd
"TRF" Member

TGV, haha. That's time you never get back.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 04:44 PM   #7
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknit View Post
I started off with SEIKO and CASIO and got sucked into watching YouTube videos for watch purchasing advice. When I eventually wanted to go for a Rolex I followed their advice and bought an Explorer. I was pleased because I never experienced a Submariner. And after getting one, I could never go back. The YouTube gurus are people like TGV and Bark & Jack. They shill the Explorer no tomorrow
Fair enough but the “perfect” Rolex is very subjective. Lots of people think subs are too common or day-dates too gaudy. B&J still has the Exp so he must love it. The BLNR he flipped in a heartbeat.
Old 11 May 2021, 04:58 PM   #8
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

I have a variety of watches and often go back to Exp. To each their own, some do not like Sub or GMT. I for change enjoy JLC Reverso and other brands.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 04:59 PM   #9
Stoffel
Banned

I can’t stand Bark and Jack or TGV, those guys don’t have a clue and make me cringe.
Stoffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 05:14 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I've owned both 214270 mark 1 and mark 2 in the past and traded them for a Hulk and Pepsi and I have to say that I am so much happier. I bought into the Explorer due to advice from "YouTube gurus" that the watch is "the only one you need" or the "perfect one watch collection". I have to say, it's all BS. The watch is boring and the only thing good about it is the clasp.

Maybe it's just me but I've found that the ultimate Rolex model is the Submariner. Not even the GMT Master or Daytona.
In the real world all this Mk1 Mk 2 stuff only exists in internet fantasy land. Have you lost the use of your own mind and brain about what watch you want buy. Or do you rely on the likes of so called social media and Youtube to make you mind up for you, if true then you only got yourself to blame.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 05:18 PM   #11
tecknit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
In the real world all this Mk1 Mk 2 stuff only exists in internet fantasy land. Have you lost the use of your own mind and brain about what watch you want buy. Or do you rely on the likes of so called social media and Youtube to make you mind up for you, if true then you only got yourself to blame.
Yea I’ve only got myself to blame for following these social media figures before. I don’t do that anymore
Old 11 May 2021, 05:20 PM   #12
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Your fault for listening to others, man up and make your own decisions instead of following youtube, forum, and reddit sheep. How hard is it to shop for a watch that people need to overanalyze, watch videos, and ask strangers for opinions? I admit I watch videos too but mostly for curiosity, see what's new, and general love of the hobby. NOT to make purchasing/buying decisions.

Also the EXP is a great watch, not boring at all, it has it all besides a ceramic sports bezel and a qualified step up from the OP. Personally, I would own one in a multi watch collection but not my one and only. It's a great one watch daily if you are the low key type.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 07:17 PM   #13
Driver8
"TRF" Member

I totally agree that people need to make up their own minds without any reliance on the opinions of others, be that forums like this or other social media "influencers". I think YouTube channels and the like have their place, but using them as a sole source of decision-making is not a smart move.

However, what I will say is that the permanently empty cases in ADs make it impossible for many people to even SEE certain models in the flesh (let alone actually try it on) before either going on an AD's list, or stumping up the cash to buy from a grey. If you end up waiting 2 or 3 years for a piece from an AD without ever having had the opportunity to even see one in person before you need to buy it, then undoubtedly you will have been relying entirely on videos and pictures online, which inevitably comes with someone's opinion attached. As a result, mistakes will be made.

Personally I think Rolex could assist the situation a little by providing all ADs with dummy models (like the promo pieces with no movement or fixed hands) that people could at least SEE.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 07:56 PM   #14
Hub6152
Banned

TGV lol.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 08:01 PM   #15
Brew
"TRF" Member

Given your past predilections, you might want to wait a bit yet before you decide for us that the sub is the "ultimate" Rolex model.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 08:03 PM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I've owned both 214270 mark 1 and mark 2 in the past and traded them for a Hulk and Pepsi and I have to say that I am so much happier. I bought into the Explorer due to advice from "YouTube gurus" that the watch is "the only one you need" or the "perfect one watch collection". I have to say, it's all BS.
Actually, it's not BS. It's the only one they need for their perfect collection. Your error (now corrected) was to believe their opinions were facts that you could rely on.

Congratulations on the Hulk and Pepsi. Impressive. I'll get there one day.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 08:24 PM   #17
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
Another phrase I hear on YouTube that makes me laugh, is “Perfect starter Rolex” as if buying the one you really like immediately eg. Daytona, DD40, Pepsi etc etc will be a mistake somehow and that you need to ‘learn’ about Rolex first by buying a simpler cheaper model. What utter BS! There’s no mystery with a Rolex - you see it, you learn it’s features, you like it, you get it! There is no rite of passage to take. You don’t need an OP, Exp1 or 90s DateJust before you can ‘fully appreciate’ the one you really like.

Rant over!
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 08:27 PM   #18
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yea I’ve only got myself to blame for following these social media figures before. I don’t do that anymore
Lesson learned
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 08:54 PM   #19
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
In the real world all this Mk1 Mk 2 stuff only exists in internet fantasy land.
To be fair to the OP, and as you well know, where the 214270 is concerned there are two distinct "versions" under that reference number - 2010 to 2016 with non-lumed 3, 6, 9 and a shorter handset, and 2016 to 2021 with lumed 3, 6, 9 and a longer handset. Those are genuine differences that can't be attributed to alleged vagaries of manufacturing (unlike some claim with the BLRO bezel colours), so they are worth distinguishing in some way.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 09:08 PM   #20
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is going to blow your mind on the odd chance that you understand it, but people like different things. You went online to find someone to tell you what to like. Some people know without buying the wrong watch that doing that is a bad idea.

The Explorer is not boring. You find it boring just like some find a green Submariner cartoonist and tacky. Your post is 100% about you and 0% about watches.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 09:41 PM   #21
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
Lesson learned OP. But there’s something no ones talking about with these so called YouTube gurus … we rely on these videos because many of us fly blind when buying because there’s no stock available at ADs to see in person.

How else are you to get an idea of the product if we can’t see it in person?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 09:56 PM   #22
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

I don’t need anyone’s ideas but my own about watches I like. So people really take advice on what to buy??
Old 11 May 2021, 09:57 PM   #23
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
That website would be the absolute last place I would seek information
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 10:03 PM   #24
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonaG View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 10:11 PM   #25
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
You shouldn't take advice from strangers. That said, the Explorer is a fantastic watch. Just because you don't care for it doesn't mean it's not.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 12:18 AM   #26
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmbarrack View Post

How else are you to get an idea of the product if we can’t see it in person?
This is true. I could look at videos all day, but I can mute the sound.

The only bit of good advice I've even seen on YouTube is advice I could get anywhere (but I saw it on YouTube first) - if you have the means to buy your grail and it really is your grail, then stop dithering and buy it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 12:21 AM   #27
Heady Topper
Banned

Lol @ this thread
Heady Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 12:21 AM   #28
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
The Explorer is great but to each their own. Pathetic thread.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 12:22 AM   #29
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The good news is, you've learned a valuable lesson.

When someone starts spouting off in the future about the 'best' watch, or some other such nonsense, you'll know to run away, quickly, in another direction.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 12:30 AM   #30
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That's just you though innit