The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 September 2019, 01:17 PM   #1
entendu
"TRF" Member

How much $ do you light on fire at an AD?

Paid my AD a visit today looking for sport Rolex (lol) and got shown a 5230R that I actually liked a lot.

Best they could do on it was near $49k OTT (10% sales tax here). Looking at the greys that's like a $10-15k markup over them!

Is that typical for PP? Rolex DJ is maybe 5-10% discount at a grey but this 5230 is like 25%! Is that just the world of non-sport PP?
entendu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 02:53 PM   #2
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
5230R is below retail. As you found out, it's way below and that's considered normal. 5930G is the same.

You shouldn't entertain a 49K "deal" unless you're bundling that with a hotter piece, i.e. a sports model.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 04:01 PM   #3
entendu
"TRF" Member

Wow, I had no idea pp traded so far below retail. Thanks for the heads up.
entendu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 06:05 PM   #4
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Many Pateks trade below retail.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 07:41 PM   #5
WatchLurv
Banned

I plan on getting the 5724R on display at whatever AD. I'll pay full price but I'll also expect them to put me first up for a 5712/1A afterwards. Or I walk.
Old 16 September 2019, 07:55 PM   #6
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
I plan on getting the 5724R on display at whatever AD. I'll pay full price but I'll also expect them to put me first up for a 5712/1A afterwards. Or I walk.
you show them!!! Btw I think I stumbled on your Instagram page... u look like u have fun :)
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 07:59 PM   #7
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 10:16 PM   #8
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Hard to stomach 49k for the 5230R when the 5110 (on my list), which is identical except For being 1mm smaller, is going for $20k.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 10:34 PM   #9
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
you show them!!! Btw I think I stumbled on your Instagram page... u look like u have fun :)

How did you stumble across it?
Old 16 September 2019, 10:40 PM   #10
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:

How did you stumble across it?
I sit there googling patek Instagram pics... I have no life bro. I like the video of the girls butt :)
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 10:45 PM   #11
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I sit there googling patek Instagram pics... I have no life bro. I like the video of the girls butt :)
I have a lot of unseen footage that never sees the light of day on IG

You most definitely did stumble across my profile
Old 16 September 2019, 10:47 PM   #12
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Quote:
5230R is below retail. As you found out, it's way below and that's considered normal. 5930G is the same.

You shouldn't entertain a 49K "deal" unless you're bundling that with a hotter piece, i.e. a sports model.
I’ve given up on getting a sports Patek and am happy with my AP RO Blue dial to fill my Nautilus void. So this means I’m going gray only on all future pateks
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 11:35 PM   #13
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

With 20% VAT in the UK, it's pretty hard to see any scenario except extreme demand for a particular piece that would lead anyone to expect anything but a 20%+ hit on value when walking out of the store.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 12:42 AM   #14
Gray_Panther
"TRF" Member

Will buying Patek’s from resellers, and then after x amount of years you send your Patek in for service to Patek, will Patek give you a service card/paper with your name on it?

If so, wouldn’t that officiate you as the new owner of the time piece in their system/archives?
I would hope so...
Gray_Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 12:53 AM   #15
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
Will buying Patek’s from resellers, and then after x amount of years you send your Patek in for service to Patek, will Patek give you a service card/paper with your name on it?

If so, wouldn’t that officiate you as the new owner of the time piece in their system/archives?
I would hope so...
Short answer: No.
Old 17 September 2019, 07:14 AM   #16
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

I would hope so...
They will give you a "service card/paper" with your name on it. Its not a card but the paper receipt of your bill showing the work done in your name and which serves as a one year warranty on the watch after repair to you.

I do not believe you can register the watch in your name if the original owner has already done so. If the paperwork to register is still in the wallet, you should send it in and see what happens. Having the watch serviced in no way alone registers the watch. I do not believe PP tracks watches by who has them serviced.
I do believe they run the numbers against their stolen watch registry whenever they receive a watch for service. So good news there for you.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 08:08 AM   #17
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
Quote:
I have a lot of unseen footage that never sees the light of day on IG

You most definitely did stumble across my profile
This seems like a good opportunity to gain some followers on IG
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 08:14 AM   #18
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I would hope so...
You can register any new or preowned piece on the Patek website in your name under Retail & Service, Owner Registration. Upon registration of your first Patek you will also receive the Patek magazine and again it doesn't matter if you got that first Patek new at the AD or preowned from a dealer or private seller.

This has nothing to do w any service work and AFAIK they won't register a watch for you when you send it in. You will only get a receipt detailing the work performed for your records and for warranty purposes.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 09:49 AM   #19
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entendu View Post
Paid my AD a visit today looking for sport Rolex (lol) and got shown a 5230R that I actually liked a lot.

Best they could do on it was near $49k OTT (10% sales tax here). Looking at the greys that's like a $10-15k markup over them!

Is that typical for PP? Rolex DJ is maybe 5-10% discount at a grey but this 5230 is like 25%! Is that just the world of non-sport PP?
My understanding is that in many areas around the world (including the SF Bay area), there are so many people with massive amounts of disposable income, that they are not thinking how much will I lose if I were to sell this item. These are the type of people ADs in these areas want as clients. There are plenty of ADs elsewhere that will discount significantly because they know a certain watch is a slow mover and will sit around collecting dust. If you travel a little and visit a few ADs, you will eventually learn how to distinguish between these 2 types of ADs.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 04:12 AM   #20
Gray_Panther
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
You can register any new or preowned piece on the Patek website in your name under Retail & Service, Owner Registration. Upon registration of your first Patek you will also receive the Patek magazine and again it doesn't matter if you got that first Patek new at the AD or preowned from a dealer or private seller.

This has nothing to do w any service work and AFAIK they won't register a watch for you when you send it in. You will only get a receipt detailing the work performed for your records and for warranty purposes.

Thank you all for the explanations! That makes me feel better for when I position myself to purchase from a reseller.
Gray_Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 06:44 AM   #21
dauster
"TRF" Member

So the "buy local" mentally is not real in your opinion ? I feel like in Hawaii, Asia and even Europe (Germany) most ADs prefer you to be local if you buy a watch but also want to be on "the list" for SS.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 06:48 AM   #22
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
So the "buy local" mentally is not real in your opinion ? I feel like in Hawaii, Asia and even Europe (Germany) most ADs prefer you to be local if you buy a watch but also want to be on "the list" for SS.

lets be fair , when have you seen a ss in the window, ive traveled a lot lately and nothing

worn a decent piece also , and nothing in the safe also
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote