Old 21 August 2020, 08:38 PM   #32
andsan09
"TRF" Member

Watch: Glashütte/Rolex
andsan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 12:12 AM   #33
IR201
"TRF" Member

Hi all, question - is anyone else a little underwhelmed by these? I think they're really well made and quality, but I don't know, for me they seem a little too perfect if that makes sense, almost sterile. Maybe I'm having a hard time transitioning from my other Seiko divers which are a bit bolder, more colorful, etc. (but that's their place in my collection).
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 12:22 AM   #34
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

^ nope. Homeruns
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 07:40 AM   #35
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaly12 View Post
I’m in... very impressed. Love the size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So nice.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 08:24 AM   #36
MJK737
"TRF" Member

Watch: This, Hold my Beer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Hi all, question - is anyone else a little underwhelmed by these? I think they're really well made and quality, but I don't know, for me they seem a little too perfect if that makes sense, almost sterile. Maybe I'm having a hard time transitioning from my other Seiko divers which are a bit bolder, more colorful, etc. (but that's their place in my collection).
Underwhelmed because they seem a little too perfect? I humbly disagree. I think Seiko knocked it out of the park. For example, I love my Sub but the lume is weak. I love my Omega 2254.50 but I think the bezel design is flawed. I find my 149 absolutely perfect in design, legibility and durability for an everyday timepiece. For a mid level diver I think it punches above its weight. Just my two cents.

MJK
MJK737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 03:00 AM   #37
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK737 View Post
Underwhelmed because they seem a little too perfect? I humbly disagree. I think Seiko knocked it out of the park. For example, I love my Sub but the lume is weak. I love my Omega 2254.50 but I think the bezel design is flawed. I find my 149 absolutely perfect in design, legibility and durability for an everyday timepiece. For a mid level diver I think it punches above its weight. Just my two cents.

Yeah I mean I don’t even know if I agree with myself. Just a growing feeling I’m having so figured I’d throw it out there to see if anyone feels similar and could make better sense of it.

Old 25 August 2020, 05:22 AM   #38
RedViola
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Yeah I mean I don’t even know if I agree with myself. Just a growing feeling I’m having so figured I’d throw it out there to see if anyone feels similar and could make better sense of it.

I felt the same way when the watches first leaked but they continue to grow on me more each time I look at them.

James Stacey at Hodinkee described his SPB143/SBDC101 as the Seiko he always wished they would make. After interacting with so many dive watches over the years, it's the one that appeals precisely because the proportions and execution are kind of perfect.

I was more excited about the Willard reissues initially but these are the ones I'd have. I don't think I've seen a bad picture of any of them because they look great on pretty much anything.
RedViola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 11:10 AM   #39
MJK737
"TRF" Member

Full disclosure, I was a bit of a Seiko snob prior to getting my first Seiko diver this past spring. I fell off a roof and broke both arms, resulting in swollen wrists. None of my watches on bracelets fit, so it was a perfect excuse to pick up a “cheap diver”. I remember seeing my dad’s friend wear a 6105 when I was a kid. He wore it in Vietnam and most of his career as a police officer. When I saw the SRP777 it brought back memories and I instantly fell for it. I purchased one and was very impressed. When I saw the 62MAS reissue, I figured I’d take a chance on the SPB149. It hasn’t left my wrist in over a month. I was closed minded regarding Seiko, but not anymore! Next on the list is a Spring Drive! My point is, if you’re on the fence go check one out in person and don’t be like me and fall into the misconception of “Seiko is just a cheap watch your dad wore”. The reality is Seiko makes great timepieces and their demand is on the rise.

MJK
Old 26 August 2020, 07:25 AM   #40
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Full disclosure, I was a bit of a Seiko snob prior to getting my first Seiko diver this past spring. I fell off a roof and broke both arms, resulting in swollen wrists. None of my watches on bracelets fit, so it was a perfect excuse to pick up a “cheap diver”. I remember seeing my dad’s friend wear a 6105 when I was a kid. He wore it in Vietnam and most of his career as a police officer. When I saw the SRP777 it brought back memories and I instantly fell for it. I purchased one and was very impressed. When I saw the 62MAS reissue, I figured I’d take a chance on the SPB149. It hasn’t left my wrist in over a month. I was closed minded regarding Seiko, but not anymore! Next on the list is a Spring Drive! My point is, if you’re on the fence go check one out in person and don’t be like me and fall into the misconception of “Seiko is just a cheap watch your dad wore”. The reality is Seiko makes great timepieces and their demand is on the rise.
Oh man that sounds so painful, I hope you are recovered/recovering well!!

Perhaps I should give some context to my perspective. I LOVE Seiko. Probably my favorite watch brand. And I own lots of them at different levels.

I've also been among the chorus hoping for smaller divers from Seiko.

This is why I'm confused by my reaction to this offering (which I own the 143 and 149 btw and no this is not a sales ad!). They are striking me as a bit generic, sterile, basic - almost in a way you would look at a concept design model/sketch. Maybe it's the wide steel bezel situation that is throwing me off - not sure.

I just watched the hodinkee video and he kind of hinted at this - said it was almost generic, lacking the boldness typical of Seikos etc. But he also said that's exactly why he likes it, so I get that. It might be that Seikos for me are just not meant to be so perfect!

Anyway, going to keep spending more time with them. I'm sure you guys know something I don't and I don't want to give up on them too soon.
Old 27 August 2020, 12:03 AM   #41
Jhowton23
"TRF" Member

if you think its boring i recommend the gilt version- i have one and its VERY dynamic and pops on an olive nato/ mesh bracelet
Jhowton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 09:36 AM   #42
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowton23 View Post
if you think its boring i recommend the gilt version- i have one and its VERY dynamic and pops on an olive nato/ mesh bracelet
Was thinking exactly this thank you
Old 29 August 2020, 03:50 PM   #43
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
Uncle Seiko waffle arrived today. The space between the pinholes are rather far apart. But I was lucky that my six and a half inch wrist found a spot to make it fit perfectly. Very happy with this and I may consider a tropic later.

The black strap goes really well with this subtle blue dial...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2020, 09:25 PM   #44
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Looks good. I have the same strap and I am pleased with it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2020, 01:15 AM   #45
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K

Just picked this handsome devil up this morning. Great fit on my wrist and I love the colors.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2020, 02:19 AM   #46
MJK737
"TRF" Member

Congrats! I’m very impressed with my 149. The size, legibility, comfort and lume are just spot on.

MJK
Old 30 August 2020, 03:00 AM   #47
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Quote:
Congrats! I’m very impressed with my 149. The size, legibility, comfort and lume are just spot on.

I’ve been going nuts for Seiko prospex models of late. Solid value for the $, comfortable on the wrist, and the two I’ve picked up this week (SPB149 and SPB153) are both strap monsters.

I’m glad you are enjoying yours as well!
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2020, 09:34 AM   #48
111forza
"TRF" Member

My 149 landed a couple of days ago. Proportions are about perfect it wears so well on the rubber.

111forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 04:06 PM   #49
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post

Man, I have really been coming around to the coppery brown dial of the boutique edition 145. I know everyone loves the sunburst grey dial on the 143, and so do I, but I’m digging the uniqueness of the 145. Very strong contender for my next watch.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 04:16 AM   #50
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
Man, I have really been coming around to the coppery brown dial of the boutique edition 145. I know everyone loves the sunburst grey dial on the 143, and so do I, but I’m digging the uniqueness of the 145. Very strong contender for my next watch.
Like I mentioned, I bought it to differentiate it from the grey/black dial that almost every diver in every other manufacturers' lineups produce/copy.

I have my grandfather's 5513, a SRP777, etc... all with black dials.

This dial is far and away completely unique, subtle, and beautiful in the sun. It works well with the lume and bezel insert. It's warm and vintage-like.

I'm really enjoying and don't see too many posted. It's something a little different. When I saw the lineup I immediately was drawn to it. There was no hesitation or comparing or debating. It was a "mic drop" moment on my decision.

Coupled with the size, design and wrist feel; it's a home run. The bracelet is a little iffy for me. The main issue is that there is about a 0.5mm to 1.0mm gap in the lug with the end links. You can see it in the closeup photos you quoted in my post. Very sloppy tolerance in my opinion. It should be flush.

I bought a black Tropic strap for it to see how it will look/feel. Just waiting for it in the mail. I'll use the hardware from my SRP777 strap on it.
Old 8 September 2020, 06:15 AM   #51
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Like I mentioned, I bought it to differentiate it from the grey/black dial that almost every diver in every other manufacturers' lineups produce/copy.

I have my grandfather's 5513, a SRP777, etc... all with black dials.

This dial is far and away completely unique, subtle, and beautiful in the sun. It works well with the lume and bezel insert. It's warm and vintage-like.

I'm really enjoying and don't see too many posted. It's something a little different. When I saw the lineup I immediately was drawn to it. There was no hesitation or comparing or debating. It was a "mic drop" moment on my decision.

Coupled with the size, design and wrist feel; it's a home run. The bracelet is a little iffy for me. The main issue is that there is about a 0.5mm to 1.0mm gap in the lug with the end links. You can see it in the closeup photos you quoted in my post. Very sloppy tolerance in my opinion. It should be flush.

I bought a black Tropic strap for it to see how it will look/feel. Just waiting for it in the mail. I'll use the hardware from my SRP777 strap on it.
To me the 145 is "faux patina" done perfectly - the dial obviously invokes a dial with "tropical" patina but it does not hit you over the head with faux vintage notes. It manages to successfully tread the line between vintage inspired and standing on its own as a piece with its own soul - a feat that is not easy to pull off.

The concerns with the bracelet are disappointing but honestly not something that bother me that much as I don't intend to use it very much at all. This is a watch that would live on straps for me - from natos to canvas to rubber to leather. I am waiting for TROPIC to introduce short-sized straps and then that would likely be my move as well.
Old 8 September 2020, 06:25 AM   #52
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To me the 145 is "faux patina" done perfectly - the dial obviously invokes a dial with "tropical" patina but it does not hit you over the head with faux vintage notes. It manages to successfully tread the line between vintage inspired and standing on its own as a piece with its own soul - a feat that is not easy to pull off.

The concerns with the bracelet are disappointing but honestly not something that bother me that much as I don't intend to use it very much at all. This is a watch that would live on straps for me - from natos to canvas to rubber to leather. I am waiting for TROPIC to introduce short-sized straps and then that would likely be my move as well.
Funny, I never visioned it as tropical! Just a different color, but I see your point.

Also the ecru colored lume reminds me of the vintage Daini Seiko factory lume that came from there as opposed to the more white, ever so slight green hue lume that came from the vintage Suwa factory.

Still a unique piece! Definitely check one out if you're able and in the market.
Old 8 September 2020, 06:30 AM   #53
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Funny, I never visioned it as tropical! Just a different color, but I see your point.

Also the ecru colored lume reminds me of the vintage Daini Seiko factory lume that came from there as opposed to the more white, ever so slight green hue lume that came from the vintage Suwa factory.

Still a unique piece! Definitely check one out if you're able and in the market.
Curious to learn where you sourced yours from. I am familiar with a few US Seiko authorized dealers, but I do not believe they are “boutiques.” I am unsure if one of these US ADs could source one for me?
Old 8 September 2020, 06:43 AM   #54
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Curious to learn where you sourced yours from. I am familiar with a few US Seiko authorized dealers, but I do not believe they are “boutiques.” I am unsure if one of these US ADs could source one for me?
I got mine from an AD in Greenwich, CT. It's a jewelry store and AD for all the high end watch houses. I don't think they're a boutique.

Simply called and pre-ordered one. Gave a $500 deposit back in May and the balance upon delivery to the store in August. No tax, free overnight FedEx.
Old 8 September 2020, 06:48 AM   #55
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I got mine from an AD in Greenwich, CT. It's a jewelry store and AD for all the high end watch houses. I don't think they're a boutique.

Simply called and pre-ordered one. Gave a $500 deposit back in May and the balance upon delivery to the store in August. No tax, free overnight FedEx.
Excellent, thanks. When the time comes I’ll just start reaching out to the ADs I’m familiar with to see if they can help.
Old 11 September 2020, 12:01 PM   #56
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Just picked a 147 up.
Unboxing coming up
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 08:25 PM   #57
1William