The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 9 January 2021, 10:52 AM   #1
BMess
"TRF" Member

For those of you leaving Rolex

Recently I've seen several threads (or at the very least, posts) from people who are annoyed at Rolex's scarcity and who are not willing to pay the premiums that grey dealers charge. I'm finding myself dangerously close to this line despite having been a loyal customer for many years.

My question to you is where will you go? What, if anything, competes with SS Rolex assuming MSRP prices? AP and PP are in a league above Rolex (and have the same scarcity issues as Rolex) while Omega and Tudor are, arguably, in a league below Rolex. IWC and JLC are not competitive because most of their references are dressier and more likely to be worn on a leather strap as opposed to a stainless steel bracelet. Similarly, Panerai isn't truly competitive to Rolex for much of the same reasons as IWC and JLC but also because of the size of their watches.

So that leaves me asking you where will you go if you leave Rolex?

I'm stuck because, although unpopular, I like the recognition that Rolex offers and find myself feeling that if I were to buy an Omega (for example), my coworkers, colleagues, and [potential] clients might pass judgment (I work in midtown Manhattan where people judge watches). For example, I've thought about buying the Seamaster 300 but have had many people now (both friends and coworkers) tell me not to buy an Omega or chuckle at the thought of buying an Omega.

For reference, I currently have the DJ41 fluted/jubilee with rhodium diamond dial and I can't wear anything larger than 41-42mm (6.25" wrists).
BMess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 10:56 AM   #2
Rolexcouple
"TRF" Member

VC overseas definite contender. Not sure of availability in NYC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolexcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 10:56 AM   #3
dimag333
"TRF" Member

You just described why Rolex is so desirable, it really can’t be defined, it’s just special

I have worn a seiko for a while now, if anyone would snicker at it I would just act like the jokes on them they don’t know, I work in an ultra competitive sales floor as a vendor

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 10:58 AM   #4
Runfar
"TRF" Member

I would really encourage looking deeper into omega as well as grand Seiko- you will still want a Rolex however
Runfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:01 AM   #5
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
The current Rolex environment stinks, but that doesn’t mean you have to leave the brand. You don’t always need to be acquiring, right? Just enjoy what you have for a while until the instashammers move on to the next thing.
As for your friends, sounds pretty silly....they chuckle at Omega? Seems pretty shallow. Glad to hear there are people still working in Manhattan!
Old 9 January 2021, 11:01 AM   #6
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I'm starting to look outside of Rolex, mainly because I'm looking to diversify my collection. I work in finance in midtown manhattan, and personally, couldn't care what anyone thinks about my watches. When they start buying my watches, then their opinion on what watch i wear will matter. Till then, buy what you like, not what will please everyone else.
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:08 AM   #7
GCFA
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50535 Moonface
Reason I stick with Rolex 1) reliable quality. 2)reasonable service fee. 3)retain value. 4)timeless designs. 5) recognized globally.
Happy to pick up my 5th and 6th Rolex in 2021.
GCFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:13 AM   #8
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

... lots of smart money is going to vintage.
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:14 AM   #9
Amanubis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520 / 1665 GW
The Chopard Alpine Eagle is a recent crush. Really sweet and quite understated, as all chopards are!

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk
Amanubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:14 AM   #10
Freq18Hz
"TRF" Member

Maybe you should get some new friends. I find it a bit sad that you are insecure enough to care what others think of you or your watch.

You can’t buy personality. Wear what you like.

-Freq
Freq18Hz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:24 AM   #11
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonK View Post

I'm stuck because, although unpopular, I like the recognition that Rolex offers and find myself feeling that if I were to buy an Omega (for example), my coworkers, colleagues, and [potential] clients might pass judgment (I work in midtown Manhattan where people judge watches). For example, I've thought about buying the Seamaster 300 but have had many people now (both friends and coworkers) tell me not to buy an Omega or chuckle at the thought of buying an Omega.
The fact that this matters to you is just nuts. You’re an adult (I assume) wear what you like. I have no idea why people would care about such things.
Old 9 January 2021, 11:24 AM   #12
kevn00
"TRF" Member

wear what you like. who cares what anyone else thinks of your watch.
kevn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:26 AM   #13
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Wear a speedmaster and then laugh at them when they dont know a thing about its history and significance.
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:27 AM   #14
bremersm
Banned

Never owned a Rolex and never will. This has nothing to do with what I can afford but everything with what I WANT to afford. Watches aren't life. My Lord, my family, and my country are.

I buy and enjoy watches because I love the fact that they aren't pushing notifications and information in my face. The fact of the matter is that many do it better than Rolex but at the end of the day it is all marketing.

Buy what makes you happy.
bremersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:27 AM   #15
Utomow
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 126334
Grand seiko for me
Utomow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:30 AM   #16
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
People chuckle at wearing an Omega? And you’re worried about it? Wow, who’s zoomin who?
Old 9 January 2021, 11:31 AM   #17
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
I found a love for JLC. That manufacturer has such a diverse and beautiful line-up. It’s easy to find a piece that checks all the boxes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:31 AM   #18
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Until you get over this, you’re stuck with Rolex. To hell with their opinions. If you like it, drop your money on it.

Anyone who attaches their self esteem to these things will be filling a hole in themselves forever.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:35 AM   #19
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanubis View Post
The Chopard Alpine Eagle is a recent crush. Really sweet and quite understated, as all chopards are!

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk
That’s a beauty
Old 9 January 2021, 11:36 AM   #20
7sins
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure it is leaving Rolex but more so diversifying into other brands, most of which trade at a premium too. I will always have a Rolex in my collection but love what other brands like AP and PP offer.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:39 AM   #21
Albatross
"TRF" Member

I love my Rolex watches, but setting that aside for a moment, I would have to say that anybody who would laugh at Omega as a brand doesn’t really understand much about horology, history or technology.

Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:54 AM   #22
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB

I pray I never have the displeasure of meeting your friends or coworkers.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:54 AM   #23
GCFA
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50535 Moonface
To be honest, I brought an Omega PO 600m as my first mechanical watch 10 years ago, it is a robust watch and works perfect. I didn’t aware of the resell market at the time so I paid full retail. It turns out to be a bad deal now as I lost 70% of the value if I want to sell it. Omega is a great brand, has very rich history. But it is also true the general public would laugh at it when comparing to Rolex. Watch enthusiasts only represent a small amount of the watch buying community. The rest are simple watch buyers who puts brand image at first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
I love my Rolex watches, but setting that aside for a moment, I would have to say that anybody who would laugh at Omega as a brand doesn’t really understand much about horology, history or technology.

GCFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:55 AM   #24
bigrustypig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freq18Hz View Post
Maybe you should get some new friends. I find it a bit sad that you are insecure enough to care what others think of you or your watch.

-Freq

This

bigrustypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:57 AM   #25
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I’d man up and stop caring about what your watch snob “friends” think about the watch you choose to wear if i was you.

As for “competing” with rolex (whatever that means), there are not much brands that do that. But if i was leaving rolex i’d probably go Grand Seiko or Omega.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:59 AM   #26
bigrustypig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
I went back to film photography while waiting for my next piece. So I bought a Leica M6 TTL, a few Nikon F2ASs and a couple of FM2Ns.

Won’t leave Rolex at all but just waiting and not letting the scarcity annoy me.

I also don’t let the greys win at all.

bigrustypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 12:00 PM   #27
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
The current Rolex environment stinks, but that doesn’t mean you have to leave the brand. You don’t always need to be acquiring, right? Just enjoy what you have for a while until the instashammers move on to the next thing.
As for your friends, sounds pretty silly....they chuckle at Omega? Seems pretty shallow. Glad to hear there are people still working in Manhattan!
Perfectly said. I couldn’t have said it any better.

As far as the post in question. I get it. I agree with some of it. If I ventured down other paths I’d still chose one my Rolex’s every single morning unless if it were a certain model from PP or AP but I’ll never acquire those.

Lastly as far as what my friends or co workers think? Couldn’t care less unless they are buying
Old 9 January 2021, 12:01 PM   #28
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freq18Hz View Post

-Freq
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn00 View Post
wear what you like. who cares what anyone else thinks of your watch.
Rolex owners do care what other people think. That’s what allowed Rolex to propel from a watch with innovative features to a luxury watch for those who want to signal wealth and/or success.
vh2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 12:02 PM   #29
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Recently I've seen several threads (or at the very least, posts) from people who are annoyed at Rolex's scarcity and who are not willing to pay the premiums that grey dealers charge. I'm finding myself dangerously close to this line despite having been a loyal customer for many years.

My question to you is where will you go? What, if anything, competes with SS Rolex assuming MSRP prices? AP and PP are in a league above Rolex (and have the same scarcity issues as Rolex) while Omega and Tudor are, arguably, in a league below Rolex. IWC and JLC are not competitive because most of their references are dressier and more likely to be worn on a leather strap as opposed to a stainless steel bracelet. Similarly, Panerai isn't truly competitive to Rolex for much of the same reasons as IWC and JLC but also because of the size of their watches.

For reference, I currently have the DJ41 fluted/jubilee with rhodium diamond dial and I can't wear anything larger than 41-42mm (6.25" wrists).
Forget what your friends and co-workers say.
It's not their money or their taste.

Get what you like and wear it contentedly.
Every goon and his dog is chasing Rolex at the moment and if you're not comfortable with that scene, don't go there.
The earlier Omega Co-axial Aqua Terra's are nice watches by any standard. Good movements with beautiful dials and lovely twisted lug cases. Beautiful on a nice strap of your choice with 150m water resistance.

Then there's always vintage to consider.
I'll wager it'll throw them off balance on nearly every level.
Be an individual
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 12:02 PM   #30
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
That's enough of the main forum for me today!
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote