The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 January 2021, 10:37 PM   #91
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Worries about friends think when I wear a PM watch, or steel or xxx brand?
I don’t really care, nor I care what watch they were, except when I see apple watch, I am saddened by the fact that it’s just trendy.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 10:39 PM   #92
emtee
"TRF" Member

Wouldn’t say I’m leaving Rolex (I have 2 which I love) but cannot be arsed with the AD bull so have bought a couple of Panerai which I’ve always had a thing for. I must say I enjoy wearing them way more than the Rolex.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 10:59 PM   #93
Max 66
Banned

With a bit of patience and without following the opinion of surrounding people, you can get several nice Rolex models from AD. Let's take the most sought after model, the Daytona, and counting the various combinations of materials, bracelet / strap and dials, we end up to get dozens of different models of Daytona; probably 5 of all these models are available to AD for VIP clients only, all the other Daytona models can be purchased from the AD with a moderate waiting time.
Talking about other brands, I would say that I can easily count 50 non Rolex models that I would be happy and proud to wear.
Max 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:23 PM   #94
DoubleBridge
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the time
I dont think ill ever leave Rolex. I get into other brands/watches while i patiently wait for my order to come through an AD. It my approach so I will never pay over MSRP for a rolex. Here is my latest acquisition that certainly fills the void.

Your office mates can't knock a nicely patina'd Speedy...If the front doesn't impress, then show the back....its a trick that Rolex doesnt offer

While i love my BLNR, this one has a whole different level of appreciation!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3592.50 Speedmaster Front.jpg (149.7 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg 3592.50 Speedmaster Caseback.jpg (118.1 KB, 297 views)
DoubleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 12:32 AM   #95
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningTundra View Post
... lots of smart money is going to vintage.
Five digit references are the way to go. With your wrist size I would look into an Explorer ref. 114270. Full sets in good condition are easy to come by.
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 12:34 AM   #96
kunlun
"TRF" Member

A little while back a Manhattan finance guy had an important client notice his Breguet before a meeting and they chatted about it. It set the tone for a nice meeting.

Gov. Cuomo wears a classic Breguet Marine 5817ST. They can be purchased for a good price now.

I would say the new Santos is a great Rolex replacement.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 02:00 AM   #97
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runfar View Post
I would really encourage looking deeper into omega as well as grand Seiko- you will still want a Rolex however
couldn't agree more. and neither are below Rolex, aside from brand recognition and price. and i personally will always own a Rolex, just not interested in any additions in the current market.

VC could also be a good sport choice, although possibly less rugged. Some other brands to consider which may be a step down, Tag, Breitling, Zenith ?
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 02:09 AM   #98
Thrasher36
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 216570
Omega is better than Rolex in every way except perception and status. I really think you should buy a watch for you not for what other people think.
Thrasher36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 02:38 AM   #99
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymike83 View Post
No one is leaving Rolex. Who ever telling you that is lying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There may be some truth to this one...Rolex is hard to leave, once you’ve experienced it. The brand deserves a lot of credit for its consistent product, name cache, and value retention. People tend to hibernate on Rolex, but eventually wake back up.

Of course, these “virtues” are part of what have fueled the current Rolex hype and unobtainable nature of many of its models. You might consider 5-digits.

As for alternatives, in the sports model/casual segment, the only practically comparable brand is Omega. It loses to Rolex a little bit on name cache and more so on value retention, but design and product quality are certainly in a similar league. Tudor is purposely positioned a little behind Rolex from a business model perspective, but you might be very pleasantly surprised with the brand if you are open to it — so many outstanding watches from Tudor.

I agree with you that outside Omega and Tudor, moves in the mid-tier category are to more formal or unique brands, which don’t replace Rolex 1:1. Nothing wrong with that...”variety is the spice of life” as they say.

VC is in between Rolex and AP/PP for market pricing, but offers a nice jump on the horological front. The Overseas is very attractive...

Best wishes
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 02:44 AM   #100
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Omega, Tudor, IWC, VC - just to name a few. So many other options of high craftsmanship timepieces but the thread is specifically about others recognizing it. So now one has to shop with the eyes and perceived preferences of other people in mind.
Old 10 January 2021, 03:03 AM   #101
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
If you're going for a superficial vanity play Rolex is hard to beat.
Old 10 January 2021, 03:25 AM   #102
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
If you go online <to Wikipedia for example> you can do a search and find a list of hundreds of watchmakers, in various countries.
These manufacturers turn out some very fine, interesting, and in many cases reasonable-cost models.
Rolex is merely a drop in the bucket on the list.
Personally - I have obtained all the Rolex models I desire (and none are the hyped "FOMO" models,) so I have now moved on to other brands. Glad to not be exposed to the issues of obtaining Rolex.
It has been surprising <for me anyway> to discover some brands as good, or better than Rolex.
For example - DAMASKO - which just blows me away with their innovation and quality.
Vintage is also a good way to find great models.
Don't know how I would feel, however, if in the future Rolex came out with a "I just gotta have" and realizing it could take years or 2X MSRP to obtain.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 03:54 AM   #103
kunlun
"TRF" Member

I'm more interested in the assertion that people would turn down an important business deal because the other guy was wearing an Omega.

That's from another world.

Or even that the guys in the same company would know enough to judge an Omega.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 06:24 AM   #104
DoubleBridge
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the time
Also consider JLC. Was watching Tim Mosso who featured this gorgeous master control perpetual calander.

https://www.thewatchbox.com/ch/en/shop/4322368.html

Class!
DoubleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 10:44 AM   #105
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Someone on TRF reminded me months ago to be grateful for the watches I have and to quit worrying about the ones promised to me by the AD which may or may not ever show up. I’m in a pretty good place...
This right here is how I have found satisfaction when the journey is complete. I have been wearing the same exact 1 watch for almost all of the past 12 years and continue to feel joy every time i put it on.
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 11:25 AM   #106
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
This is probably the truth for 95% of all Rolex watches sold. My opinion of course.

The brand is worth far more than the watch. You could put the Rolex name on a Swatch and sell them for 5k a pop.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 06:45 PM   #107
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
This is true, but it’s equally true that Rolex is hard to beat with respect to mass-produced build quality.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 08:09 PM   #108
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
If you are gonna pay grey for any of the hot rolex models, a good alternative will be to just go for an AP or VC. Much better value on these 2 brands especially some of the older models and u still get the prestige of a brand that is many levels above Rolex.
Old 19 January 2021, 02:05 PM   #109
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrus View Post
If you are gonna pay grey for any of the hot rolex models, a good alternative will be to just go for an AP or VC. Much better value on these 2 brands especially some of the older models and u still get the prestige of a brand that is many levels above Rolex.

Which AP? I was practically laughed out of the boutique at crystals for asking about royal oak or ROC. Was offered a $60K rose gold RO or nothing.
Old 19 January 2021, 02:10 PM   #110
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher36 View Post
Omega is better than Rolex in every way except perception and status. I really think you should buy a watch for you not for what other people think.

Not in terms of designs aesthetically speaking. I hear you though. The worst past about Rolex is the people who buy them lol
Old 19 January 2021, 05:30 PM   #111
Puppysmasher
"TRF" Member

If Omega doesn't tickle your fancy go Breitling. I like the new direction they are going with their steel sports watches. The new Chronomats are awesome, then you got the classic Navitimers and SuperOceans. The new Kern's Aviator 8's and Premier line if you are feeling leather. Their Emergency quartz is also iconic. Plus if you are buying grey and duty free they are more affordable than Omega.
Puppysmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 05:32 PM   #112
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Which AP? I was practically laughed out of the boutique at crystals for asking about royal oak or ROC. Was offered a $60K rose gold RO or nothing.
I think 15500 and 15450s are possible apart from blue dials. But i guess it differs from country to country. Pretty sure offshores are obtainable too.
Old 19 January 2021, 09:49 PM   #113
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrus View Post
I think 15500 and 15450s are possible apart from blue dials. But i guess it differs from country to country. Pretty sure offshores are obtainable too.

I wish. They sell for a $10,000 USD premium here.
Old 19 January 2021, 10:13 PM   #114
Bassplayer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wife says too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonK View Post
Recently I've seen several threads (or at the very least, posts) from people who are annoyed at Rolex's scarcity and who are not willing to pay the premiums that grey dealers charge. I'm finding myself dangerously close to this line despite having been a loyal customer for many years.

My question to you is where will you go? What, if anything, competes with SS Rolex assuming MSRP prices? AP and PP are in a league above Rolex (and have the same scarcity issues as Rolex) while Omega and Tudor are, arguably, in a league below Rolex. IWC and JLC are not competitive because most of their references are dressier and more likely to be worn on a leather strap as opposed to a stainless steel bracelet. Similarly, Panerai isn't truly competitive to Rolex for much of the same reasons as IWC and JLC but also because of the size of their watches.

So that leaves me asking you where will you go if you leave Rolex?

I'm stuck because, although unpopular, I like the recognition that Rolex offers and find myself feeling that if I were to buy an Omega (for example), my coworkers, colleagues, and [potential] clients might pass judgment (I work in midtown Manhattan where people judge watches). For example, I've thought about buying the Seamaster 300 but have had many people now (both friends and coworkers) tell me not to buy an Omega or chuckle at the thought of buying an Omega.

For reference, I currently have the DJ41 fluted/jubilee with rhodium diamond dial and I can't wear anything larger than 41-42mm (6.25" wrists).

You should try hanging out with old money.

" I prefer to drink; not drive "
John Alec Entwistle
Bassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 05:35 AM   #115
alllexandru
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanubis View Post
The Chopard Alpine Eagle is a recent crush. Really sweet and quite understated, as all chopards are!

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

Tried one yesterday at the Chopard boutique, fantastic watch.
I was on the fence for the dial layout but actually is gorgeous.
Simple but so nice and it is below 10mm thick.
It wears smaller than 41mm.
Great watch.

To the OP there are watches and watches depending how you look on and at them

Many brands out there with an excellent craftsmanship and value.

alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 05:38 AM   #116
Pronto0322
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownbelt View Post
I pray I never have the displeasure of meeting your friends or coworkers.

Exactly

Pronto0322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 09:01 AM   #117
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownbelt View Post
I pray I never have the displeasure of meeting your friends or coworkers.

Right. I'm sure William gives a sh*t what they think of his lowly omega.
Old 21 January 2021, 09:35 AM   #118
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by bremersm View Post
Never owned a Rolex and never will. This has nothing to do with what I can afford but everything with what I WANT to afford. Watches aren't life. My Lord, my family, and my country are.

I buy and enjoy watches because I love the fact that they aren't pushing notifications and information in my face. The fact of the matter is that many do it better than Rolex but at the end of the day it is all marketing.

Buy what makes you happy.
Why would you join the RF if you don’t like Rolex?
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 01:58 PM   #119
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightball76 View Post
If you worry about what other people think you will never be happy.
An omega can cost more than a Rolex and can equally be sought after (snoopy , 321 etc...) but your friends won't know that so you will still feel insecure.
I think you should stick to Rolex to keep your friends happy and your mind at ease.
Once you start appreciating the mechanics and history of other brands, then its time to spread your wings and start enjoying the hobby, you'll get more enjoyment out of it.
This.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote