The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 28 December 2017, 04:39 PM   #31
peterpl
Banned

The only downside of AP is the scratches on the bezel and bracelet. If your OCD just need to be extra careful and dont wear it on big nights out when your drunk and have bigger potential to damage it.

Otherwise not really any downsides. Some reliability issues of late with some ROOs and their movements.
Old 28 December 2017, 05:19 PM   #32
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

You'll end up wanting the 15202
Old 28 December 2017, 05:28 PM   #33
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
pretty sure Rolex has played out the oyster case too... Sub, YM, GMT, sea dweller, are the same watch essentially although almost all the rest are the same too. Slap on a fluted bezel and wow its a DJ or DD. Thats 90% of sales... same watch. Worse yet, they almost all have the same complications.... time and date. Just saying.

Im sorry, but you cant honestly say one trick pony like its a bad thing, and then have a Panerai. I love PAM, but they are far more all the same than AP. Or am I crazy?
Good point. I also have Pams.
Anyway somehow this is my perception.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk
Old 28 December 2017, 05:38 PM   #34
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajas View Post
Good point. I also have Pams.
Anyway somehow this is my perception.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk
Nothing wrong with a similar aesthetic. Its not unique to AP, and it always confuses me as to why it sticks to them more so than others. Maybe its the fact the RO case is so unique to begin with where as other brands like Rolex with similar watches are more traditionally shaped, so people don't notice.
Old 28 December 2017, 06:59 PM   #35
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

As someone else in this thread said, get this

In all seriousness though, you really can’t go wrong with any Royal Oak. Great watch, great design, great wrist presence, and always puts a smile on your face.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 December 2017, 12:41 PM   #36
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Touché, Tyler.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
Old 30 December 2017, 08:52 AM   #37
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

I played with the idea of getting a 15400 for awhile swaying from one decision to the other, thought it was too big, scratches easily etc etc
Finally bought one and... it's amazing. Somehow it's got me in a way a Rolex hasn't before, the bracelet reflects light from so many different angles and the finish is a step above Rolex. If you can afford it there's no reason. (I still like my Rolex watches though)

I am interested, what were the prices like 6 months ago? I sold my 15300 for £6500 2-3 years ago and I know they've rocketed since then but for the 15400?
Old 30 December 2017, 09:21 AM   #38
Xerxes77
Banned

The only weak point of my AP ROC 26331 it’s the scratch BUT I compare with my Sub and I see the bracelet on the Sub it’s full of scratch but because not have so many tipe of finish the scratch is not so visible!
The bezel yes it’s a scratch magnet but not much more then Daytona or Nautilus!!!
About the movement my AP ROC have 2385 and many purists have problems with it because they say it’s not in house but it’s a movement who are stable and robust!
And work better then my Sub!!
About the price, if you buy it at a correct price you don’t loose money! Be sure!
AP Royal Oak it’s a watch with high demand and AP now want to take Rolex strategy about suply and demands.
All in all I don’t see any reason to not buy an AP RO!
Old 30 December 2017, 11:51 AM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takonwong View Post
I played with the idea of getting a 15400 for awhile swaying from one decision to the other, thought it was too big, scratches easily etc etc
Finally bought one and... it's amazing. Somehow it's got me in a way a Rolex hasn't before, the bracelet reflects light from so many different angles and the finish is a step above Rolex. If you can afford it there's no reason. (I still like my Rolex watches though)

I am interested, what were the prices like 6 months ago? I sold my 15300 for £6500 2-3 years ago and I know they've rocketed since then but for the 15400?
I think they have risen by 1.5-2K in the last 6 months, bad time to sell the 300, price has almost doubled since then.
Old 30 December 2017, 05:13 PM   #40
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

I know. I even had one pre owned dealer in Harrogate who wouldn't buy the 15300 off me and it was the blue dial with all b&p! But my opinion of them isn't high. I tend to buy and change my watches a lot but this AP is going to stick I think at least for a good good while.
Old 30 December 2017, 08:25 PM   #41
Mikelikslurpee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167
Having owned it myself…

Reasons to own it
1 bracelet has no competition best in the biz
2 it’s less common than the 5711 (I think) and under the radar
3 look at that dial

Reasons I flipped it
1 can’t stand the scratches. It a scratch waiting to happen
2 don’t over wind. I did and I messed it up
3 the defect in the quick set made me sell it date just... stopped
4 the crown is sooooo small. It’s a curse to wind and to set the date

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 30 December 2017, 09:38 PM   #42
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

How did you overwind it? There's a clutch mechanism to prevent that isn't there?
Old 30 December 2017, 10:03 PM   #43
Mikelikslurpee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167
Quote:
How did you overwind it? There's a clutch mechanism to prevent that isn't there?

I believe there is non this is an automatic also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 30 December 2017, 10:48 PM   #44
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

To those to have or have had a nautilus and a RO, are both watches equally prone to scratches? Does one show more than the other?
Old 31 December 2017, 12:04 AM   #45
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
To those to have or have had a nautilus and a RO, are both watches equally prone to scratches? Does one show more than the other?
bracelets, the Nautilus shows scratches more as the highly polished surfaces are raised and above the brushed parts. The bezel I also think the Nautilus is probably more prone just due to the fact the horizontal portion of the bezel is larger. Not sure on that but it looks larger to me.
Old 31 December 2017, 02:05 AM   #46
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyboy View Post
You'll end up wanting the 15202
Old 31 December 2017, 03:07 AM   #47
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
bracelets, the Nautilus shows scratches more as the highly polished surfaces are raised and above the brushed parts. The bezel I also think the Nautilus is probably more prone just due to the fact the horizontal portion of the bezel is larger. Not sure on that but it looks larger to me.
I guess it's the price to pay to play with these gorgeous finishings.. PM vs SS is much softer just because of the metals itself, but at the end of the day, since both models are somewhat 'scratch magnets,' does it make a noticeable difference in terms of showing the scratches and the scratches itself?

For example if bracelet PM vs SS RO or naut, if I put my arm on the table and the bottom of the bracelet sits on a table or gets lightly swiped if I am signing my name, are these scratches going to be noticeably different on the different materials or are the differences not huge?

Thanks
Old 31 December 2017, 04:22 AM   #48
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I guess it's the price to pay to play with these gorgeous finishings.. PM vs SS is much softer just because of the metals itself, but at the end of the day, since both models are somewhat 'scratch magnets,' does it make a noticeable difference in terms of showing the scratches and the scratches itself?

For example if bracelet PM vs SS RO or naut, if I put my arm on the table and the bottom of the bracelet sits on a table or gets lightly swiped if I am signing my name, are these scratches going to be noticeably different on the different materials or are the differences not huge?

Thanks
there is no way i would get a nautilus on a bracelet in PM. I love the 5711R but the scratches on the PM bracelet would drive me nuts. Im ok with the SS bracelets as they are harder to scratch. I think i prefer the 5711R slightly to the 15202OR but the scratches hiding better on the RO bracelet would probably make me choose the AP in a PM vs PM head to head. In SS vs SS i would get whichever i liked best as the scratches are not a deal breaker.
Old 31 December 2017, 07:38 AM   #49
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Thanks
I don't think there is that much difference between these models, and marks on the clasp area are inevitable and don't bother me as you can't really see it unless you turnover, in fact bracelet marks don't bother me either, just the bezel and crystal I try to keep mark free.
Old 31 December 2017, 07:55 AM   #50
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
it's not a Rolex.
Old 31 December 2017, 11:05 AM   #51
improviz
"TRF" Member

Which is a good reason *to* get an AP imo. Rolexes do seem to attract an inordinate number of fanboys and troll types...
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
Old 31 December 2017, 03:25 PM   #52
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Which is a good reason *to* get an AP imo. Rolexes do seem to attract an inordinate number of fanboys and troll types...
Maybe they do maybe they don’t. Irrelevant really. Bottom line is that after owning 4 APs I easily realized they simply aren’t watches that can easily be worn every day for every occasion.

You don’t have to be a “fanboy” to state with 100% confidence that almost any Rolex CAN and SHOULD be worn every day for any occasion, in any situation.
Old 31 December 2017, 05:39 PM   #53
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Maybe they do maybe they don’t. Irrelevant really. Bottom line is that after owning 4 APs I easily realized they simply aren’t watches that can easily be worn every day for every occasion.

You don’t have to be a “fanboy” to state with 100% confidence that almost any Rolex CAN and SHOULD be worn every day for any occasion, in any situation.
Which is why for me it's nice to have more than one watch or brand. Different occasions, different watches.
Old 31 December 2017, 05:42 PM   #54
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which is why for me it's nice to have more than one watch or brand. Different occasions, different watches.
yes.

Some of us have no interest in buying another Rolex ever, and some don't buy AP. Options are a good thing. The biggest problem is comparing apples to oranges. Having an AP with Rolex expectations of what a watch is tends to be a recipe for disappointment and vice versa.

Don't buy a watch based on what another watch is or isnt.

I wear my one and only Rolex when I want a watch I can bang around and when I dont want a piece of art on my wrist. Nothing against rolex but to me it cant be a tool and wearable art at the same time. One brand is one thing and the other brand is the other.
Old 1 January 2018, 06:28 AM   #55
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This.
Old 1 January 2018, 06:31 AM   #56
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:

(shrug)...you do, on the other hand, need to have a certain amount of maturity and introspection in order to realize that (your subjective opinion) != (ironclad fact), and that 100% confidence to you does not necessarily equate to 100% confidence for all others on the planet.
Old 2 January 2018, 05:09 AM   #57
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yeah I don’t disagree with that. I’m not bad mouthing AP. I’ve had 4 of them. They’re incredible. But for a one watch person, or someone who wants a do it all type watch, AP would definitely not be my first recommendation. Especially if your lifestyle is like mine; occasionally getting your hands dirty, taking care of small kids and/or doing physical work.
Old 2 January 2018, 05:14 AM   #58
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
(shrug)...you do, on the other hand, need to have a certain amount of maturity and introspection in order to realize that (your subjective opinion) != (ironclad fact), and that 100% confidence to you does not necessarily equate to 100% confidence for all others on the planet.
Sure, these are all just opinions. Simple as that. If the OP asked for a fact the question would be technical in nature.

My response was a direct counter to an idea that Rolex mostly attracts “Fanboys and Trolls”. I hope you consider your statement above to just as easily apply to this rather negative idea.

Only difference being that my statement about Rolex being known and proven to be a reliable tool watch, and the statement I replied to about Rolex attracting trolls, is that one is considerably positive in nature and the other is condescending and negative.
Old 2 January 2018, 07:21 AM   #59
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sure, these are all just opinions. Simple as that. If the OP asked for a fact the question would be technical in nature.

My response was a direct counter to an idea that Rolex mostly attracts “Fanboys and Trolls”. I hope you consider your statement above to just as easily apply to this rather negative idea.

Only difference being that my statement about Rolex being known and proven(*) to be a reliable tool watch, and the statement I replied to about Rolex attracting trolls, is that one is considerably positive in nature and the other is condescending and negative.(**)
(*)Proven and reliable with a reported 30% failure rate in TRF's main forum's survey of Rolex owners.

(**)Funny, I didn't respond to any post of yours in which you stated that Rolex was known to be a reliable tool watch: I did, however, respond to a rather condescending and negative post of yours, namely this post in which you stated only "it's not a rolex", in an AP forum, as a reason NOT to buy an AP, which despite your protestation to the contrary has fanboy and trollbait written all over it.

A post positive in nature might have been somewhat less snarky, and maybe, you know, listed your reasons, in a constructive and positive fashion, instead of acting as though your stating outright that an AP is not a Rolex (which I know you might find hard to believe, but I believe the OP already knew this) is, prima facie, reason not to purchase an AP.

So if you don't like people responding to your negative and condescending posts, perhaps not posting flamebait would be a great place to start.
Old 2 January 2018, 07:38 AM   #60
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues