The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 May 2022, 04:24 AM   #1
CJpickup57
"TRF" Member

GMT 16700 Serif Pepsi Insert Question

Good afternoon! This is my first post here so, hello . I have primarily been collecting Omega's and I am also a member on the Omega Forums.

I am starting this thread today to hopefully gain some information.

I have an E serial GMT Master 16700 with an insert that is not as common as I have found. I have been researching this insert and have not come across much specific information. It has serif font except the individual "2" at the 1 o'clock position.

I have found this thread: "16700 - strange pepsi bezel - is it fake?" by "Blaze Balcerek" on 12 June 2021 (I cannot post/reference url's yet) discussing it, but no others. If there are other threads or blogs discussing it please let me know.

I have attached a few photos of my watch for reference. If anyone has any insight or information I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1819.jpg (143.0 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1820.jpg (165.0 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1823.jpg (107.4 KB, 337 views)
CJpickup57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 01:06 PM   #2
CJpickup57
"TRF" Member

I removed my insert for photos.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 9 May 2022, 06:11 PM   #3
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Here's the thread you're referring to.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=807640

Your insert seems good from these pictures. Some inserts have seriffs , some dont.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 05:40 AM   #4
karleone
"TRF" Member

Your insert is an authentic serif insert and period correct. There are serif inserts with all numbers and serif inserts with the single 2 that is not serif.

Here are two of my inserts (first one like yours second full serif)

karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 06:34 AM   #5
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Nice pictures karleone...
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 09:34 AM   #6
CJpickup57
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
Your insert is an authentic serif insert and period correct. There are serif inserts with all numbers and serif inserts with the single 2 that is not serif.

Here are two of my inserts (first one like yours second full serif)
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. Which of those came on your watch originally (if you are the original owner or know for sure)?
Old 10 May 2022, 01:04 PM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
If the number 22 has full serifs, for me, it is the later serif insert. 1990 is a little early for the full serif insert. If you are looking for an original equipment correct insert, I would get the earlier insert without the complete serifs.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 02:14 PM   #8
CJpickup57
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
If the number 22 has full serifs, for me, it is the later serif insert. 1990 is a little early for the full serif insert. If you are looking for an original equipment correct insert, I would get the earlier insert without the complete serifs.
Only the individual “2” is not serif, the rest of the insert is serif. I am trying to narrow down a range of when these inserts were used in earlier serials. I have seen other early 90’s Pepsi inserts with the same font layout as mine. I have also seen early 90’s Coke versions with the same style on 16710’s. On late 90’s serials I have found the individual “2” is serif along with the rest of the insert as you have said.

I’m glad you have seen this tread as I have found you commenting and sharing your GMT knowledge in just about every GMT search result I have come across. So thank you for taking the time to comment here as well.
Old 11 May 2022, 01:03 AM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Here is an "R" serial GMT II 16760 without the serifs that I owned in the past. I also currently have an "L" serial 16710 that does not have the serifs.

The time frame for what insert was used each year is tenuous at best. Many of these inserts have been changed throughout the years or decades. My experience is based on 25 years of ownership with many dozens of them passing through my hands.

If you look at the GMT owner's manuals, they depict the GMTs without serifs for many years, at least up to 2000. Rolex re-used the same photos for many years, and, with that said, photos from the owner's manuals are not an accurate depiction for determining what insert is correct for the various years of production - especially since we know that seriff inserts appeared sometime during the 1990s.

Collectors must determine what is correct for them. For me, I believe the non serif inserts are correct until the early 1990s .

Below is an "R" serial 16760.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_2569.jpg.small.jpg (119.2 KB, 226 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 02:30 AM   #10
CJpickup57
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Here is an "R" serial GMT II 16760 without the serifs that I owned in the past. I also currently have an "L" serial 16710 that does not have the serifs.

The time frame for what insert was used each year is tenuous at best. Many of these inserts have been changed throughout the years or decades. My experience is based on 25 years of ownership with many dozens of them passing through my hands.

If you look at the GMT owner's manuals, they depict the GMTs without serifs for many years, at least up to 2000. Rolex re-used the same photos for many years, and, with that said, photos from the owner's manuals are not an accurate depiction for determining what insert is correct for the various years of production - especially since we know that seriff inserts appeared sometime during the 1990s.

Collectors must determine what is correct for them. For me, I believe the non serif inserts are correct until the early 1990s .

Below is an "R" serial 16760.
Thank you for the additional information Springer. Always a great thing to have knowledgeable people that share it.
Old 11 May 2022, 05:55 PM   #11
james_turk
"TRF" Member

What I've found is that you can usually tell a period correct non-serif insert apart from a service replacement non-serif insert by looking at the break between the colours on the 18. If it's a straight line between the 1 and the 8, then it's original, and if the break hugs the 8, then it's usually a service replacement, or one that was put on watches from the last few years of production.

Also, on the serif inserts, there are 2 fonts; the regular "fat font serif" and an even fatter fat font serif. For me, the even fatter ones are the best looking, they really make the watch pop. I've seen both versions (fat and even fatter) with and without serifs on the 2.
james_turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 01:01 PM   #12
CJpickup57
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_turk View Post
What I've found is that you can usually tell a period correct non-serif insert apart from a service replacement non-serif insert by looking at the break between the colours on the 18. If it's a straight line between the 1 and the 8, then it's original, and if the break hugs the 8, then it's usually a service replacement, or one that was put on watches from the last few years of production.

Also, on the serif inserts, there are 2 fonts; the regular "fat font serif" and an even fatter fat font serif. For me, the even fatter ones are the best looking, they really make the watch pop. I've seen both versions (fat and even fatter) with and without serifs on the 2.
Thank you James!
Old 14 May 2022, 04:54 PM   #13
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJpickup57 View Post
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. Which of those came on your watch originally (if you are the original owner or know for sure)?
I bought my watch second hand and it came with a coke full serif insert.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote