The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 March 2019, 05:23 AM   #91
Wiener48
Banned

Found a nice detail on the original box at the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2C8493AC-7F52-4CDD-9914-FA1EF058621A.jpeg (84.6 KB, 564 views)
Wiener48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 05:40 AM   #92
jimmytamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor, IWC,
Nice thread and stories.

Thanks for sharing & congrats for the purchase.

Cheers
jimmytamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:15 AM   #93
Wiener48
Banned

Glade you like it :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytamp View Post
Nice thread and stories.

Thanks for sharing & congrats for the purchase.

Cheers
Old 22 May 2019, 08:44 PM   #94
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiener48 View Post
Glade you like it :-)

And there goes the thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 11:06 PM   #95
lupus66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadmiral2 View Post
A watch with a soul

Yep. Tool not investment.
lupus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 04:37 PM   #96
soicanbefree
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
That is a steal for 10k. Cool watch!
Totally agree. Something I would have bid on if I knew about it as well.

It is a fine piece of art/history that leaves me with mixed emotions and a feeling of confusion... I can imagine how this engraving went down.

He was probably really "special" if you know what I mean. His mates convinced him everyone scribbles their serial on watch cases in case the enemies get ya and you should totally do it to your brand new Rolex.

"No no no mate one side won't do it... it has to be both or the SGTMAJ will beast you... regulations init. Have to serialize all your gear.

Our generation didn't have the opportunity to purchase Rolex at the PX best I could do was a SUUNTO from the Danish PX. I wish I had brought my 16610 or 16710 with me (both long gone anyway) but I wore a Breitling Emergency on a NATO strap for both my deployments that I still enjoy from time to time.
Old 24 August 2019, 06:57 PM   #97
Wiener48
Banned

Thank you guys :-)
Old 25 August 2019, 03:28 AM   #98
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
As far back as 1965 Australia had an advisory mission in Vietnam. I was recovering in the US Army field hospital located in Nha Trang, in January 1965. In my ward was an Australian army sergeant, likewise recovering. The Kiwis were also represented by a New Zealand army sergeant. He was Maori and interesting to talk to. Most Americans are unaware of the participation by those two countries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 08:37 AM   #99
Wiener48
Banned

The „Vietnam“ 1675 is on the market. Curious where it will end.

Estimate is 30,000 - 50,000 CHF

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auct...s-steel-dual-2
Old 2 May 2022, 09:10 AM   #100
Hurricaneforce
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Perception of Rolex has changed as has our culture. A lot of folks who bought them in the 60’s and 70’s wore them regardless of occupation.
Hurricaneforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 12:35 PM   #101
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I see it's had a badly stretched Jubilee bracelet added to it.

The original braclet was reportedly removed because it was trashed. At least replace it with one that isn't trashed...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sothebys-md.brightspotcdn.com.jpg (101.8 KB, 295 views)
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 12:56 PM   #102
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

No disrespect to the owner and thanks to the original owner for his service. But the fact that it was owned by a soldier in the Vietnam War adds approximately zero to the value for me personally. I have bought at least two Rolex watches worn by soldiers in Vietnam, and never thought anything special of it except that they were one-owner watches, which is always desirable. Every one-owner watch is interesting in that sense, but the military connection is not more special to me compared to a watch owned by a doctor or a diplomat or a professor. And the case-back engraving is ugly. I would probably have it laser welded and refinished.

Sometimes this provenance trendiness gets taken too far. It's just dealer/auctioneer marketing BS. In a recent auction, watches given as gifts by Saddam Hussein and Ferdinand Marcos were sold. I mean, really ... who cares. The Marcos watch was an interesting watch at least, a VC coin watch.
Old 2 May 2022, 02:40 PM   #103
Wiener48
Banned

So I think you don’t really like it, also OK.

I would not and I did not change anything on the case, should stay like this, only my 2 cents…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
No disrespect to the owner and thanks to the original owner for his service. But the fact that it was owned by a soldier in the Vietnam War adds approximately zero to the value for me personally. I have bought at least two Rolex watches worn by soldiers in Vietnam, and never thought anything special of it except that they were one-owner watches, which is always desirable. Every one-owner watch is interesting in that sense, but the military connection is not more special to me compared to a watch owned by a doctor or a diplomat or a professor. And the case-back engraving is ugly. I would probably have it laser welded and refinished.

Sometimes this provenance trendiness gets taken too far. It's just dealer/auctioneer marketing BS. In a recent auction, watches given as gifts by Saddam Hussein and Ferdinand Marcos were sold. I mean, really ... who cares. The Marcos watch was an interesting watch at least, a VC coin watch.
Old 2 May 2022, 04:23 PM   #104
G3Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex etc..
Love these kind of threads.
G3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 08:27 PM   #105
Wiener48
Banned

Different and unique is always good :-)
Old 2 May 2022, 11:01 PM   #106
subx
"TRF" Member

Not adding any premium for a Vietnam War worn watch is a very personal and RARE attitude:

if its a diver ( sub or sea dweller ) and worn by a diver (hello comex for example) AND in the war: that's what dreams of lore are all about that model
a gmt if worn by a helicopter pilot in the war, or a panam pilot, or an astronaut: that's what dreams of lore are all about that model.
a daytona worn by a racer in a famous race: that's what dreams of lore are all about that model.

after that there are degrees of desire, - and eventhough I don't particularly fancy this one and its non US training only connection -
I always appreciate and cherish any vietnam war combat worn rolex.

the vietnam war and rolex are one tight lore.
Old 3 May 2022, 03:39 AM   #107
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Exactly. Anyone with $8450+tax can have a pristine 116710LN, but that watch has got a little history behind it.
Where can you get a pristine 116710LN for $8450+tax nowadays
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 04:23 AM   #108
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subx View Post
Not adding any premium for a Vietnam War worn watch is a very personal and RARE attitude:

if its a diver ( sub or sea dweller ) and worn by a diver (hello comex for example) AND in the war: that's what dreams of lore are all about that model
a gmt if worn by a helicopter pilot in the war, or a panam pilot, or an astronaut: that's what dreams of lore are all about that model.
a daytona worn by a racer in a famous race: that's what dreams of lore are all about that model.

after that there are degrees of desire, - and eventhough I don't particularly fancy this one and its non US training only connection -
I always appreciate and cherish any vietnam war combat worn rolex.

the vietnam war and rolex are one tight lore.
I guess you are trolling me, but I'll bite. Everyone has their own priorities, but I think you are mixing apples and oranges, and I would suggest that you just speak for yourself, not what you think everyone else should believe or what you believe to be a "RARE" way of thinking. You have no idea what other people think so let's avoid the temptation to generalize that we often see on forums.

A chronograph worn by a specific famous racer in a famous race or a watch actually worn by a particular astronaut in space ... those are a big deal. A generic watch worn by a generic GI in Vietnam ... not so much, even it it happens to be a Rolex. It's not an issued watch. Like I said, I'm grateful for the service of GIs, but I also appreciate people in other professions. And mentioning COMEX in the same sentence ... c'mon, that's just completely off the rails, those are rare watches with a truly special provenance. I bought a one-owner 1675 who purchased and worn it in Vietnam, and it was just another GMT to me. If you "cherish" it, good for you, but that sounds a little over the top to me. Do you also cherish a Vietnam War combat-worn Seiko, or just Rolex?
Old 3 May 2022, 04:34 AM   #109
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiener48 View Post
So I think you don’t really like it, also OK.
Thanks for giving me permission to have an opinion.
Old 3 May 2022, 04:45 AM   #110
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Dan made some valid comments in his last post.

Below is my 1972 Seiko DX, and, while not a combat watch worn during the Vietnam war, I purchased it during the Vietnam War at the PX sometime during September 1972 while an MP in the U.S. Army. Do I get a premium for it if I sell it...I seriously doubt it. A premium for my Seiko DX, I don't ever see that happening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_2827.sm.jpg (71.2 KB, 244 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 04:55 AM   #111
NikolasGerk
Banned

Very cool...thanks for sharing

NikolasGerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 05:52 AM   #112
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
Where can you get a pristine 116710LN for $8450+tax nowadays
That’s a 4 year old post. Nowadays? No way.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 06:26 AM   #113
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
watches with military provenance command a premium, we'll see when this one sells. It may not be the thing for most people but it is enough for the dealers to make more money, it always has been.
MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 08:28 AM   #114
Kingsking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In a recent auction, watches given as gifts by Saddam Hussein and Ferdinand Marcos were sold. I mean, really ... who cares. The Marcos watch was an interesting watch at least, a VC coin watch.
Can I get a Link to that auction or lots? thanks.
Old 3 May 2022, 12:51 PM   #115
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I have the same GMT. MK 1 long-E dial, super fat-font insert, box, papers and all trinkets. Originally bought in 1971 by a US Vietnam War pilot on leave in HK and worn in active combat. Even a letter from his widow about the story behind it and why she was selling it.

Don't know if the Vietnam provenance adds much value, but it's pretty darned cool.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 08:51 PM   #116
Wiener48
Banned

Hello guys, Vietnam yes/no - Military yes/no at the end it is a totaly original early 1675 with extremely good documents, nearly complete. A watch with a story in this condition and with this paperwork, more then hard to find.

But lets see where it will end :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C268B345-CA59-4B2B-8AAE-46F462159287.jpeg (88.2 KB, 181 views)
Old 3 May 2022, 10:42 PM   #117
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsking View Post
Can I get a Link to that auction or lots? thanks.
https://jones-horan.hibid.com/catalo...s-and-jewelry/
Lots 157 and 285.
Old 3 May 2022, 10:50 PM   #118
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sotheby’s will bid it up , no doubt.

Good luck with the sale OP
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 10:52 PM   #119
Chris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I guess you are trolling me, but I'll bite. Everyone has their own priorities, but I think you are mixing apples and oranges, and I would suggest that you just speak for yourself, not what you think everyone else should believe or what you believe to be a "RARE" way of thinking. You have no idea what other people think so let's avoid the temptation to generalize that we often see on forums.

A chronograph worn by a specific famous racer in a famous race or a watch actually worn by a particular astronaut in space ... those are a big deal. A generic watch worn by a generic GI in Vietnam ... not so much, even it it happens to be a Rolex. It's not an issued watch. Like I said, I'm grateful for the service of GIs, but I also appreciate people in other professions. And mentioning COMEX in the same sentence ... c'mon, that's just completely off the rails, those are rare watches with a truly special provenance. I bought a one-owner 1675 who purchased and worn it in Vietnam, and it was just another GMT to me. If you "cherish" it, good for you, but that sounds a little over the top to me. Do you also cherish a Vietnam War combat-worn Seiko, or just Rolex?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 11:23 PM   #120
subx
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wasn't trolling you at all: I was only saying that your statement is very likely to be on the marginal side of what most Rolex collectors agree upon:

let's see what this -not so great example of a period GMT- hammers at,

since you state than Vietnam War connection brings NO added value...this one should end up in the high teens with the paperwork.

and since you wanted my personal opinion: I will gladly pay a premium for Vietnam War combat worn Rolexes, sell me your one owner GMT combat worn ?

Cheers