The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 September 2020, 10:05 AM   #1
pjsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
What would you do?

Quick backstory. Ever since I was 19 I have wanted a Rolex. At 19 I told myself, when I turn 50 I’ll get one. I turned 50 in May. Due to COVID the order was placed about 6 weeks ago. I had always wanted a blue dial Datejust but when it came time to order I ordered a white dial 41mm due to it looking great and might be easier to read in years to come, smooth, oyster, and sticks. Paid deposit and have been waiting for this watch to come in. A week before that watch was ordered I had checked a couple of different AD’s. One of them called today and said, we have two Datejust 36mm both blue dials, both smooth , both sticks, one is oyster the other jubilee. I really do like both. I have considered getting the blue one tomorrow, wait for white one to come in and have both here at home and see which I prefer. Just curious to what you all would do and why? 7 inch wrist size. Thank you for your thoughts!
pjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 10:27 AM   #2
JRell
"TRF" Member

Ask yourself what do you really want. Have you seen both the blue and the white in person? Have your tried on both 41 and 36? Don’t feel rushed. You waited 31 years, 3-4 weeks longer to get the exact one is worth it! I had white first and it didn’t sing to me. Really wanted the blue, but didn’t want to wait. So I got the black. Kept seeing the blue pictures online. I reached out to the AD, he got one in and I loved it. Had to see it first in person, was not disappointed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E050488E-1F9B-4CAB-BA89-E0A5B36EA1AB.jpeg (115.1 KB, 685 views)
Old 9 September 2020, 10:34 AM   #3
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Have you tried both watches on your wrist? I find looking at the watches on your wrist will help you easily decide.

How long do you have to wait for the white dial DJ? I’m surprised they didn’t have it in stock.
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 10:42 AM   #4
pjsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me4u2night View Post
Have you tried both watches on your wrist? I find looking at the watches on your wrist will help you easily decide.

How long do you have to wait for the white dial DJ? I’m surprised they didn’t have it in stock.
Unfortunately could not try either one on. They had a Wimbledon 41. That’s the only Datejust I have tried on. Thanks for the response!
Old 9 September 2020, 10:43 AM   #5
pjsmith
"TRF" Member

They said The White dial ordered one could come soon. I certainly don’t mind waiting.
Old 9 September 2020, 10:44 AM   #6
pjsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Ask yourself what do you really want. Have you seen both the blue and the white in person? Have your tried on both 41 and 36? Don’t feel rushed. You waited 31 years, 3-4 weeks longer to get the exact one is worth it! I had white first and it didn’t sing to me. Really wanted the blue, but didn’t want to wait. So I got the black. Kept seeing the blue pictures online. I reached out to the AD, he got one in and I loved it. Had to see it first in person, was not disappointed.
Thanks for sharing. Is that a 41mm?
Old 9 September 2020, 10:53 AM   #7
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Since you are a guy, I think you might be happier with the 41mm diameter. For me, the 36 is perfect. Having said that, My first Rolex was a vintage 34 inch OP. I was fortunate enough to source a period correct bracelet for it, and it looked great on my wrist. My adult son saw it and fell in love with it, so I gave it to him. He is in the USAF and wears it daily. For him, a professional Sax player ( his job in the Air Force) it is perfect, not too heavy on his wrist. So, the 36 might be fine. Your idea of having them both, and then deciding is a good one. Good luck.
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 10:54 AM   #8
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Welcome aboard!

Get what you really want. Don’t settle or talk yourself into something else. It will nag at you and you’ll end up swapping to get what you originally wanted. At least that’s my experience.

I’m 50+ and the white dials are definitely easier to read. But if you love blue, get blue.

It’s a wonderful Brand with great time pieces.

Good luck deciding!
Old 9 September 2020, 10:58 AM   #9
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsmith View Post
Thanks for sharing. Is that a 41mm?
Yes it is. Have about 7 inch wrist as well. Fits great. I really did like the white as well, just really wanted the blue. Dial color is personal, go with what you like.
Old 9 September 2020, 11:13 AM   #10
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
> I have considered getting the blue one tomorrow, wait for white one to come in and have both here at home and see which I prefer<

If you're entertaining the idea of buying both, taking them home and deciding which you will keep, consider this:

Regardless of which watch you end up with, the AD will register both watches to you. Obviously, they will *de-sticker* them which means, you'll be returning one watch as 'used'. Oh, they'll buy it back but you'll suffer a depreciation situation that might cost you mucho dinero.
I guess what I'm saying is buy the watch you REALLY want. After 31 years, you not only deserve it but, you'll keep seeing pictures of your 'grail' and be 2nd guessing your choice forever. (Someone already posted a similar regret.)
If I misinterpreted your post, forgive me. (The Couviousier I had earlier might be the culprit)
In any case, hope you get your desired reference.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 11:32 AM   #11
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
The 41 is actually 39.8mm. I have one and it fits my 7" wrist perfect. The 36mm feels and look too small for me. Love the smooth on oyster too. Enjoy!!... (soon)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 01:01 PM   #12
zewill
"TRF" Member

Take your time... I own the dj 41mm smooth, sticks in blue... Bought it for a special occasion,didnt get to try a 36mm. Now I'm having second thoughts. My wrists are 6.5 inches and I really think 41mm is too big. Yes only slightly, but too big for me. Now I'm weighing my options... I love the blue dj but reselling I might take a hit.. only to be put on a list for another one...

That's what I hate about the Rolex experience these days. You get rushed into buying for fear of kissing out, sales assistants telling you " think about it" but it won't be there when you come back (and they are right).. yet they don't have both models usually so you cannot even try.
Ah.. regrets. Still, not all is lost, I own a great watch nonetheless.. kind of taints your experience though.
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 01:04 PM   #13
zewill
"TRF" Member

In your case, know that you can always purchase the bracelet (yes, it's expensive) outright. still I think it's worth it to own both bracelet so you can change and have a different look without shelling for a new watch.

Get the colour you love. Both are very readable, blue or white. Most of the time you glance at the watch anyways, and you forget to see the time and get lost in the dial :)
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 01:31 PM   #14
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
36mm on a Jubilee. I personally prefer the smooth bezel to the fluted.

Blue is not the color I would choose, but I think that the 36mm DJ is the best looking and the Jubliee is the most comfortable bracelet there is and you said you've always wanted a blue dial Rolex.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 08:40 PM   #15
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Do not settle. At 7 inch wrist size, I'm sure both DJ sizes look good on you (at 7.5 inches, 36 is not an option for me) but I'm equally sure you'll prefer one over the other. Find that out for yourself first.

Once you're there, I say go for blue. It's what you've wanted for a long time, I think it's absolutely stunning and "stunning" easily trumps all other concerns when it comes to acquiring a dream watch.

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 08:43 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Wait for the one you really want.

Making a purchasing decision like this should come down to what you want to wear on your wrist.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 09:15 PM   #17
LoomLoom
"TRF" Member

I would try and determine the right size first. See if you can try on both sizes and then decide from there.

However I would suggest that you consider your vision currently and how you think it will progress over the years and factor that into the decision as to size and dial color. If you suspect that you may have trouble reading a 36 dark colored dial when you reach 60/70, then I would try to buy something that will be able to stick with you through the years.

Very much depends on you, but either way I suspect you'll be very happy. Just take your time and don't get pressured into moving too quickly by a salesperson.
LoomLoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 09:41 PM   #18
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Try on for size first

But you will never tire of the blue dial.

The smooth plus oyster is a very versatile watch but I perhaps prefer that in 41

Fluted jubilee is great in 36
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 09:44 PM   #19
JonOnTime
"TRF" Member

I always say go with your gut. Maybe you always wanted the blue and that got you here but now you prefer the white? Our tastes change so I say if you like the white more go with it.
JonOnTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 10:16 PM   #20
pjsmith
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for taking the time to share your insight. It really has been helpful. I look forward to trying on a few watches this afternoon. That they are available to try on is a miracle much less the opportunity to purchase. Again, thank you all for sharing.
Old 9 September 2020, 10:22 PM   #21
Plebs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsmith View Post
Quick backstory. Ever since I was 19 I have wanted a Rolex. At 19 I told myself, when I turn 50 I’ll get one. I turned 50 in May. Due to COVID the order was placed about 6 weeks ago. I had always wanted a blue dial Datejust but when it came time to order I ordered a white dial 41mm due to it looking great and might be easier to read in years to come, smooth, oyster, and sticks. Paid deposit and have been waiting for this watch to come in. A week before that watch was ordered I had checked a couple of different AD’s. One of them called today and said, we have two Datejust 36mm both blue dials, both smooth , both sticks, one is oyster the other jubilee. I really do like both. I have considered getting the blue one tomorrow, wait for white one to come in and have both here at home and see which I prefer. Just curious to what you all would do and why? 7 inch wrist size. Thank you for your thoughts!

Go with what piece you like the most, I would say 41mm maybe better option though. 36 maybe little small on your wrist. You could always do the 41mm and 36mm, try the 36 on and see for yourself. Congrats btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 10:24 PM   #22
JRell
"TRF" Member

One thing I forgot it mention, contrast. My eyes look for contrast more. With blue/black you have more contrast from the dial to the case, making the dial look smaller. For white/silver there is less of contrast, making the dial look bigger. I would say rhodium can go either way.

I had white/black/blue at one point. The white really made the dial look large, but it was sharp. So i like white better on the 36. Just my two cents. Keep us updated!
Old 9 September 2020, 10:38 PM   #23
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The question is, what do you want? I can tell you what I want but I can't tell you what you want.

If I had a 7" wrist I wouldn't be fishing in the 36mm pool because I like my watches to wear on the big side. I would also be inclined to stick with Plan A because it was considered, formulated and executed for the right reasons.

Unless you were just settling for a white 41mm because you really wanted a blue 36mm but couldn't get one. Which does not seem to be the case.

Nice dilemma to have. You can't lose really.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 11:58 PM   #24
pjsmith
"TRF" Member

Thanks again, these last two responses are very helpful. Big decision, thankful to get to make it. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10 September 2020, 10:07 AM   #25
pjsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
The question is, what do you want? I can tell you what I want but I can't tell you what you want.

If I had a 7" wrist I wouldn't be fishing in the 36mm pool because I like my watches to wear on the big side. I would also be inclined to stick with Plan A because it was considered, formulated and executed for the right reasons.

Unless you were just settling for a white 41mm because you really wanted a blue 36mm but couldn't get one. Which does not seem to be the case.

Nice dilemma to have. You can't lose really.
Went this afternoon and tried on a 41mm white, Roman numeral, oyster
41mm Wimbledon
36mm blue dial, stick, smooth, and oyster.

I’m definitely sticking with my original order. It’s what I want, looks good on my wrist, was comfortable. And was given an 18% discount off MSRP. Can’t wait for it to get here! Again, thank you all for your great WISDOM!
Old 10 September 2020, 10:14 AM   #26
JRell
"TRF" Member

Wow 18% that is tremendous. So white and 41? Fluted or smooth, jubilee or oyster?
Old 10 September 2020, 10:16 AM   #27
placek
Banned

Watch: Red Sea Dweller 43
Good call. I have the 41 blue stick, jubilee, fluted and it is stunning. I originally wanted the Azzuro Blue with Roman, saw both and was blown away by the blue stick.
placek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 10:17 AM   #28
synrrgy
"TRF" Member

Get what you want and if possible, try it on first. I love the blue dials that Rolex has but the white is definitely a classic. You can't go wrong with whatever you choose!
synrrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 10:17 AM   #29
placek
Banned

Watch: Red Sea Dweller 43
Sorry read that wrong, looks like you went with the white, congrats on your purchase.
placek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 10:32 AM   #30
pjsmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Wow 18% that is tremendous. So white and 41? Fluted or smooth, jubilee or oyster?
Yes white DJ41,smooth, oyster. It felt right. I’m very happy with my decision. Plus my SA is also one of the owners. He has been very helpful, has answered all my questions and then some. Has never tried to sell me something I didnt want. Very welcoming every time I go in. Other than wait, fantastic experience. I’ve learned without the wait, it wouldn’t be the Rolex way!!