The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 May 2022, 12:54 AM   #1
Diver dude
"TRF" Member

My Mystery 5512 Sub

As a newbie to the forum, I’m not sure what I can ask, but here goes. I am a long time Rolex wearer and have a 5512 Submariner I purchase new from a Washington DC Rolex dealer in 1972, I think. I have not worn it for several years and eventually intend to sell it or give it to my son. When bought, I was doing underwater photography and needed a dependable timepiece to track bottom time. The watch served faithfully for decades without attention until in 2005 I broke one of the closing ears on the bracelet and was told I had to send it to Rolex for repair and probably a due cleaning. It was sent to “Rolex USA” in New York. The dial’s ability to illuminate at depth that I relied on had dimmed and I needed to have that repaired along with the bracelet.
Rolex provided an estimate along with an inspection report. They replaced the face, hands, bezel insert, bracelet (not repairable), winding crown/case tube and crystal along with a cleaning (I still have the invoice and estimate.) The watch has continued to operate correctly though not worn for some years. The crystal had become scuffed and in 2008 I had it replaced by a certified Rolex watchmaker. This is the only other time it has been opened. Otherwise the watch has had no further attention but continues to keep good time. Here’s what I can determine about it from visual inspection and Rolex USA’s “as received” notes:

- The case says it is a 5512/0 with a serial # of 1.8xx,xxx.
- Description: “Rolex Gents S/St O.P. Sub, time, lps bzl, blk ins”
- The bracelet shows a number 9315/0 & “S/St Oys Flplk”
- Caliber 1570
- Bracelet: “Links 5 x 7"
-“ End piece 285"
- Both Bracelet end pieces are stamped “580"

From what I can tell, the watch is not “virgin” but has been attended to by Rolex and only factory parts used. From almost 50 years of wearing it has some scratches and the crystal has minor scuffs.
From time to time I have had informal offers for it (two from persons that liked that it “looked like a working watch” and not just jewelry. If the forum rules allow, I would appreciate any knowledgeable members giving me some idea of what such a watch might be worth in today’s marketplace. I think I have a Rolex box and maybe the original bill of sale.IMG_1869 new size.jpg
Diver dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 10:17 PM   #2
Jaegodylan
"TRF" Member

Hard to tell much by that photo but replacing the dial and hands and insert hurt the value quite a bit.. I assume they didn't give you the old ones back?
Jaegodylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 10:32 PM   #3
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
If Rolex fitted a new service dial in 2005 it would probably have been a SWISS footer dial that lumes up bright bluey green under a UV light - difficult to see but yours looks like either SWISS MADE or Swiss - T<25 dial which is odd - can you provide clearer photo of dial etc please Thanks and Rgds
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 11:13 PM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It's always difficult to put an accurate value on a watch like this, because most of the value in a vintage watch is related to collectability, and yours is no longer of great interest to a serious collector because of the more modern replacement parts and the apparent condition of the case (e.g. the 11 o'clock lug appears to be very thin, although obviously the watch is hard to see in that photo). So that will reduce the value by about half, roughly speaking. So maybe the value is more in the neighborhood or $10k instead of $20k, for example. Again, please take these numbers with a grain of salt, since it's impossible to appease a five-figure watch based on a single blurry photo.

In any case, it's a great Rolex Submariner and you should enjoy it, and perhaps pass it on to your son. It's fantastic to have an heirloom like that.
Old 4 May 2022, 11:16 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 11:41 PM   #6
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Service dial, hands, insert from the looks of the potatoe camera pic
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2022, 02:23 AM   #7
LateLearner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, 16750, AK
Welcome fellow newbie.

My inherited 5513 belonged to my Dad. It sat in a safe deposit box from 1974 until 1991, when my Mom gave it to me.

You don’t mention your son’s age, but you should talk to to him about the watch. Any grandchildren?

I wouldn’t trade my 5513 for five pounds of gold. If there’s any chance your son, or grandchild might similarly value your watch-keep it.

Keep it in the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LateLearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2022, 02:55 AM   #8
Vesper Lynd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateLearner View Post
Welcome fellow newbie.

My inherited 5513 belonged to my Dad. It sat in a safe deposit box from 1974 until 1991, when my Mom gave it to me.

You don’t mention your son’s age, but you should talk to to him about the watch. Any grandchildren?

I wouldn’t trade my 5513 for five pounds of gold. If there’s any chance your son, or grandchild might similarly value your watch-keep it.

Keep it in the family.

Good advice.
Vesper Lynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2022, 06:39 AM   #9
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Have it serviced and give it to your son. Will be more to him that the reduced value from all the non-original parts on it.

PS people won't give you a value - its against forum rules. You can look around at large dealers and get a gauge of value.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2022, 10:01 PM   #10
Diver dude
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your learned advice and observations. I apologize for the poor photo but I had difficulty understanding the forum's photo size requirements. I will try again. I have already given my son a vintage Rolex Daytona that I purchased with the Sub in 1972. He doesn't care for the Sub and my baby grandson has another heirloom gold watch awaiting him, inscribed and awarded to his great grandfather for years of faithful service. I'll probably sell the Sub.

I examined the Sub closely and all the bracelet lugs appear the same size. Any remaining beveling is very faint. The Dial says "swiss-t <25". The case has several fine scratches as does the bracelet. I have the Rolex USA estimate which describes the watch in 2005 and what was to be done.

The watch is what it is and was... a daily companion for almost half a century. It was repaired because I needed its functions for diving. Because it's a Rolex, it's still ready to go deep.

-Jim
Diver dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2022, 02:29 PM   #11
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver dude View Post
I have already given my son a vintage Rolex Daytona that I purchased with the Sub in 1972. He doesn't care for the Sub...
He doesn't care for a 1972 Submariner 5512 with box and papers?

It may be beneficial to educate him. If I offered my son this and he said he didn't like it, we'd be having a little sit-down chat.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2022, 02:49 PM   #12
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
That 1972 daytona is probably worth quite a bit. Smart of him to pick the daytona haha.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2022, 02:58 PM   #13
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhuatai View Post
That 1972 daytona is probably worth quite a bit. Smart of him to pick the daytona haha.
Not that smart when he has the option to have both, free of charge...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2022, 03:34 PM   #14
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My Mystery 5512 Sub

I can’t wait to see the photo of the Newman.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 06:31 AM   #15
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

My Mystery 5512 Sub

I have written about this before, but while I was attending the US Naval Academy, my Dad traded his 5512 Submariner (worn while he was a US Navy diver) for a side of beef in Michigan. This was circa 1982-1984. When he asked what I wanted for a graduation present, I told him “the old beat up Rolex Submariner in the junk drawer”. That’s when he confided that it was gone.

I would gift it to your son or someone else special in your life. It (and you by extension) will be cherished forever.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote