The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 May 2022, 12:45 PM   #61
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
I sympathise with the OP. Its a tough time to get into the hobby, with multiple causes affecting the availability of watches. I guess the only thing I would say, is try to get started somewhere and consider it as a journey. You cant always just go straight to what you want, why not just explore and enjoy the process, buy something perhaps that isnt something that you COVET and a grail but something to start a relationship, learn more about the timepieces but also about the entire process of everything. Often times I bought something that the boutique manager recommended and I ended up loving it as it opened up new perspectives! Every watch is nice. It doesnt have to be black and white.

The "Game" is not a straight line. Its not just spending the most gets you what you want, though it certainly helps.

I took delivery of my Optimum just yesterday, but I waited 3 years and I had bought FPJ since 2015 just to give you an idea. Like you, the optimum was the watch I always wanted but I enjoy all the experiences and people I met before. My watch journey started literally decades ago but my point is, these things take a while!

Just get started somewhere and enjoy it and dont stress too much. Dun try to get to the top instantly. You will eventually get there my friend!

Heres a pic to get you going!

Congratulations on the black label.

Three years for a black label is not bad at all. So please stop teasing us mortals
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 03:06 PM   #62
ILoveFerrari
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliazzurri View Post
Throwing this out there for both the seasoned and new to the hobby folks...

I'm relatively new to the game of this hobby. Just a few years of study and pursuit and interest, though always appreciated the hobby from afar. Tough times for new collectors it would appear in some regards, especially if looking for more rare brands or models. I've found good satisfaction honing into certain brands now but still remain interested in others out there, some being the unobtainable or impossible ones.

Beyond the expected responses of "just look at different brands" or "there's so many other nice options out there" what do you all think about the state of affairs? I like certain flavors of ice cream and sometimes I just won't have it if I don't like the options. Some brands/models are just technically what I am looking for (FPJ etc) but you just can't even get one. It is painfully humorous to read these other threads of people being told to wait 10 years for a VC for example or whatever else is like that. One might as well just forget the whole idea. I'd love to get into the higher range models of FPJ or other series for example but as predicted am told it is not going to happen.

I don't expect manufacturers multiply their builds but what do you all think of the situation? It's just such a pity. These items were luxury even before things got all wild with the market, and was nice that you could go buy one in store. Unfortunately this was before I really had passion to do so.

It is bittersweet in some ways but also disappointing. Looking for therapy on the topic or group identity to help get your thoughts. Some of you have all the great models and some of you are like me looking for them.

What are we to do exactly? Obvious answer is just wait or pick other things, but there's something that really grinds me the wrong way on that. Looking for answers and your emotions beyond simple answers of "supply and demand" speak.
I think I finally understand what you are really looking for from this thread. You want normalization of your current feeling via our shared feeling.

Yes, it is a hobby and also a game. The reason why this is a game is because the dealers make it so. You mentioned cars...Just an example. I never had to pay mark up for any of Porsche GT cars. I just decided to succumb to 40k above for GT4RS allocation. PTS. All VIP paid that much. I got my commission number too. I can of course wait till the world collapse, but with this car being a potential museum piece in my view, I think 40k over is reasonable.

Of course it is a game. I stopped that game with Ferrari 812 GTS. I am content with stopping at 458 and Lusso.

The key is if your dealer reciprocate your loyalty. Some do, some don't, be it with cars or watches.

My take home is find the right people, which is just hard. So you are not alone.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
ILoveFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 03:19 PM   #63
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for this suggestion. I did know of it. There is something about the visibility of the FPJ model both front and back that I find romantic and mysterious to be honest regarding the mechanism and that it is displayed to view at all times unlike many others that are "under the hood" makes me drawn to it. That's why that piece is particularly interesting to me. I appreciate your looking out on this.
IMHO.. if you really like FPJ that much, they are available pre-owned. Just send them back to the factory for services they do come back like brand new with warranty. Stop wasting time and going thru all these pain.. don’t delay you happiness, life is too short and money can’t buy you time. Good luck.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 06:49 PM   #64
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
I sympathise with the OP. Its a tough time to get into the hobby, with multiple causes affecting the availability of watches. I guess the only thing I would say, is try to get started somewhere and consider it as a journey. You cant always just go straight to what you want, why not just explore and enjoy the process, buy something perhaps that isnt something that you COVET and a grail but something to start a relationship, learn more about the timepieces but also about the entire process of everything. Often times I bought something that the boutique manager recommended and I ended up loving it as it opened up new perspectives! Every watch is nice. It doesnt have to be black and white.

The "Game" is not a straight line. Its not just spending the most gets you what you want, though it certainly helps.

I took delivery of my Optimum just yesterday, but I waited 3 years and I had bought FPJ since 2015 just to give you an idea. Like you, the optimum was the watch I always wanted but I enjoy all the experiences and people I met before. My watch journey started literally decades ago but my point is, these things take a while!

Just get started somewhere and enjoy it and dont stress too much. Dun try to get to the top instantly. You will eventually get there my friend!

Heres a pic to get you going!

Thank you for understanding. Your description is precisely it.
gliazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 06:51 PM   #65
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegt View Post
I think I finally understand what you are really looking for from this thread. You want normalization of your current feeling via our shared feeling.

Yes, it is a hobby and also a game. The reason why this is a game is because the dealers make it so. You mentioned cars...Just an example. I never had to pay mark up for any of Porsche GT cars. I just decided to succumb to 40k above for GT4RS allocation. PTS. All VIP paid that much. I got my commission number too. I can of course wait till the world collapse, but with this car being a potential museum piece in my view, I think 40k over is reasonable.

Of course it is a game. I stopped that game with Ferrari 812 GTS. I am content with stopping at 458 and Lusso.

The key is if your dealer reciprocate your loyalty. Some do, some don't, be it with cars or watches.

My take home is find the right people, which is just hard. So you are not alone.

You got it on the head. The car reference is intentional. The game is identical and exhausting and frustrating. Glad to have some options already but don’t like the roadblocks. That’s exactly what I’m looking for on the topic.
gliazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 06:20 PM   #66
ILoveFerrari
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You got it on the head. The car reference is intentional. The game is identical and exhausting and frustrating. Glad to have some options already but don’t like the roadblocks. That’s exactly what I’m looking for on the topic.
yes, at the end of the day, just buy what you like. Truth be told, I was offered some watches I did not like from FPJ, and I turned them down. I was very specific - Resonance. So just don't compromise or when you look at the watch, you will feel just not cool.

You probably remember the days someone had to buy a Lusso for a Pista allocation here in US.

It is the same old game...

Old 20 May 2022, 06:21 PM   #67
ILoveFerrari
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for understanding. Your description is precisely it.
it got me going too!!

Old 20 May 2022, 09:07 PM   #68
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegt View Post
yes, at the end of the day, just buy what you like. Truth be told, I was offered some watches I did not like from FPJ, and I turned them down. I was very specific - Resonance. So just don't compromise or when you look at the watch, you will feel just not cool.

You probably remember the days someone had to buy a Lusso for a Pista allocation here in US.

It is the same old game...

Was it recently which you were offered multiple FPJs? Will the RQ be your first FPJ? I heard that the RQ wait list may be closed already?
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote