The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 May 2022, 06:26 AM   #1
CnC
"TRF" Member

Opinion Of Rolex 5513

Hello everyone I hope all is well!

I am new to vintage Rolexes and have always listed after one and an opportunity has come up. I would really appreciate input about what one would expect to pay for something of this nature. I would like to buy to keep as a watch to wear but don’t want to over pay etc if the extra money could be used towards a “better” example.

Background:

Rolex 5513 1967
Just back from Rolex service. Seller is 100 percent reputable.
New crown, crystal, bezel insert
I don’t know if dial is original or hands are original. I only have one photo so I do apologize.

https://imgur.com/a/l3vqprY

Last edited by CnC; 19 May 2022 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: Added link
CnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 07:16 AM   #2
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
You need more and better photos. Have the seller position the hands at 9:15 so you can see all dial text. I'd also suggest getting a UV photo of the dial/hands to check the tritium.

If the year of the watch is correct, the dial is a replacement. It should be a meters first for '67. What's the beginning of the serial number?

Just too many questions based on one bad photo.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 07:36 AM   #3
CnC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
You need more and better photos. Have the seller position the hands at 9:15 so you can see all dial text. I'd also suggest getting a UV photo of the dial/hands to check the tritium.

If the year of the watch is correct, the dial is a replacement. It should be a meters first for '67. What's the beginning of the serial number?

Just too many questions based on one bad photo.
Thanks so much. I don’t want to bug the seller too much but I will for sure ask!
Old 19 May 2022, 07:59 AM   #4
karleone
"TRF" Member

If you are not an expert in Vintage Rolex don’t buy one there are too many things on which you can get f**ed. Plus always buy from reputable and well known vintage dealers.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 08:21 AM   #5
CnC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
If you are not an expert in Vintage Rolex don’t buy one there are too many things on which you can get f**ed. Plus always buy from reputable and well known vintage dealers.
I completely agree with your sentiment! This one did just come back from Rolex and I do completely trust the seller however they don’t specialize in vintage so I would like to do some research to see if I can get to the point of being comfortable purchasing at the asking price.
Old 19 May 2022, 08:27 AM   #6
CTech
"TRF" Member

For what it is worth, there has been a 1966 5513 advertised on the Los Angeles Craigslist for a long time for $10,000.

It is very similar to the one posted by the OP; 1.3 million serial number, watch head only, 1970's dial, replaced hands, etc.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...472969894.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1966 5513.jpg (105.6 KB, 418 views)
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 08:48 AM   #7
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
Not similar at all, his dial is a matte feet first vs what you posted is a glossy 80’s.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 09:40 AM   #8
CTech
"TRF" Member

Similar in that it is not the original dial. The difference in cost of one type of replacement dial compared to another type of replacement dial is not great compared to the difference an original dial could make.

Therefore I stand by the statement that they are similar, or at least similar enough for comparative purposes and setting some sort of perspective relative to other watches available.
Old 19 May 2022, 02:19 PM   #9
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTech View Post
Similar in that it is not the original dial. The difference in cost of one type of replacement dial compared to another type of replacement dial is not great compared to the difference an original dial could make.

Therefore I stand by the statement that they are similar, or at least similar enough for comparative purposes and setting some sort of perspective relative to other watches available.
A matte dial from the 70's is worth more (arguably notably more) than a 80's gloss service dial is what Juhuatai is saying.. I know splitting hairs but it price difference between the one you are referring to and the OP's is probably not insignificant.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 03:18 PM   #10
CTech
"TRF" Member

Therefore it would be useful to put a price differential into the conversation if the value of the two dials is significantly different, for example:

The Craigslist one that is not selling at $10000 has a 1980s gloss dial whereas the OP's watch has a 1970s matte dial which, in my experience, is worth $X more, so the value of the OP's watch could be around $Y.

Wouldn't that be a more constructive comment than just making a snide, troll-like statement that brings no new information into the thread?

It all depends, of course, what the primary aim of posters to this forum really is; is it to help other members with good, well thought out information or is it to try and amuse oneself and a few other people with as many sarcastic, useless comments as possible?
Old 19 May 2022, 03:37 PM   #11
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

? Troll? I’m simply stating your comparison is not terribly valid. I would argue that’s a relatively valuable contribution. Many people would not even consider a 5513 with a later gloss dial while a matte dial might be considered…And many people might not consider either. I don’t know enough about the market of these pieces to put a value there…so why would I?

Furthermore, the poster has posted 1 picture with the text covered. We don’t even know if the dial is authentic…
Old 19 May 2022, 04:39 PM   #12
CTech
"TRF" Member

So you freely admit you don't know enough about relative values to know what the differential is, but you suggest that the comparison is not valid because the watches have different dials!! I can't see how that is useful or helpful, never mind "relatively constructive".

Maybe you should start thinking about what you can bring to the forum because you are making no sense at all on this topic.

I'll leave this thread to those who know what they are talking about, but I'm aware that they are becoming more infrequent posters now, as it seems that knowledgeable contributors such as pauldavidthorpe, Milton Haywood, Springer, R.W.T., Dan S et al can't be bothered with the halfwit comments that plaque the forum.

Pretty soon all that will be left will be posts about investment potential, congratulations on an incoming watch and all the cool, bro comments that go along with that.
Old 19 May 2022, 10:15 PM   #13
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTech View Post
Therefore it would be useful to put a price differential into the conversation if the value of the two dials is significantly different, for example:

The Craigslist one that is not selling at $10000 has a 1980s gloss dial whereas the OP's watch has a 1970s matte dial which, in my experience, is worth $X more, so the value of the OP's watch could be around $Y.

Wouldn't that be a more constructive comment than just making a snide, troll-like statement that brings no new information into the thread?

It all depends, of course, what the primary aim of posters to this forum really is; is it to help other members with good, well thought out information or is it to try and amuse oneself and a few other people with as many sarcastic, useless comments as possible?
That wasn’t a troll-like comment in the least.
He pointed out a valid difference. And to his point, that dial on the one you posted, you initially missed even mentioning that is NOT a 70s dial at all. It’s a later WGS replaced dial in terrible condition. A head from the same era with an actual matte dial would absolutely be more valuable than that one you posted.
Further, the comment you’re objecting to wasn’t snide, rude, or in any way an attack on you. It was brief, yes, but it wasn’t incorrect.

Lastly, if you’re going to object to and attack members here in the spirit of defending this forum and keeping it worthwhile and constructive, it wouldn’t hurt becoming a pledge-member like Juhuatai.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 11:57 PM   #14
CnC
"TRF" Member

Thank you to everyone that has posted with assistance. I should have some updated photos and info today. I do get the feeling that once better photos are posted it will be easier to determine a fair price range for such a piece.
Old 20 May 2022, 12:00 AM   #15
CnC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhuatai View Post
? Troll? I’m simply stating your comparison is not terribly valid. I would argue that’s a relatively valuable contribution. Many people would not even consider a 5513 with a later gloss dial while a matte dial might be considered…And many people might not consider either. I don’t know enough about the market of these pieces to put a value there…so why would I?

Furthermore, the poster has posted 1 picture with the text covered. We don’t even know if the dial is authentic…
I appreciate that my photos aren’t of the best in nature to assist in identifying the potential watch in question. I am working on getting more photos today to upload. Thanks!
Old 20 May 2022, 12:35 AM   #16
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnC View Post
Thank you to everyone that has posted with assistance. I should have some updated photos and info today. I do get the feeling that once better photos are posted it will be easier to determine a fair price range for such a piece.
Don't fall into the common trap of shopping based only on price. Your one photo shows a vintage Sub that's already lost its soul because of the replacement parts, IMHO.

I'd suggest spending more and getting a better, correct example. Ask yourself if you'd rather spend $10K on a vintage Rolex with questions/issues, or $15K on a good example with original parts. I always go with the latter.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 05:02 AM   #17
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Don't fall into the common trap of shopping based only on price. Your one photo shows a vintage Sub that's already lost its soul because of the replacement parts, IMHO.

I'd suggest spending more and getting a better, correct example. Ask yourself if you'd rather spend $10K on a vintage Rolex with questions/issues, or $15K on a good example with original parts. I always go with the latter.
+1. Chasing a good price for a vintage piece is never a good idea. Cheap or average price will get you a bad piece for sure. Paying an expensive price won’t guarantee getting a nice piece but nice pieces are always expensive.
Old 20 May 2022, 05:20 AM   #18
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Just for info the WG dial that looks pretty bad has been poorly relumed in the past. The relume applying stick has left an off-circular hole and prick in the 12 and other hour markers.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 05:35 AM   #19
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I wish that trashed submariner was at 3k. Would love to wear it and beat it around.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 07:04 AM   #20
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

I'd buy that @ 3k. 10k is a joke
Old 20 May 2022, 09:56 AM   #21
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Nice Submariners 5513s, that are correct with no dial or hand issues, a period correct bracelet and a recent service sell for around $15,000 on up. The nicer it is, the higher the price. I recently sold a very nice 5513 from 1972 with a period correct 9315 bracelet, a very nice full tritium dial and hand set as well as a correct Mark III bezel insert for around $17,500.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 10:11 AM   #22
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Opinion Of Rolex 5513

I would pay exactly $0 for a watch represented by one poor resolution picture. If you think it will bother the person to send more pics, I’d walk away from that deal. There are many reputable sellers on here with honest watches.

In this day and age, there are no barn find, rare watches, where the person doesn’t know what they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 09:09 AM   #23
Chris75
"TRF" Member

Dial is later and probably releumed, insert is a service one.

It's not a watch that is worth any consideration imo.
Chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 04:34 AM   #24
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss oyster View Post
i would pay exactly $0 for a watch represented by one poor resolution picture. If you think it will bother the person to send more pics, i’d walk away from that deal. There are many reputable sellers on here with honest watches.

In this day and age, there are no barn find, rare watches, where the person doesn’t know what they have.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
+1
Old 23 May 2022, 09:14 AM   #25
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
In this day and age there are no barn finds. All sellers know what they have. You are grossly overestimating the intelligence of others. And underestimating laziness
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote