The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 May 2022, 01:06 PM   #1
GoWarriors
"TRF" Member

Waterproofing

Been reading around a bit about this... it seems that to verify waterproofing, I need to have seals checked / replaced, and do a pressure test in addition.

So far so good?

Next question - should I have this done by an official Rolex service center, or by one of the RF approved independents? Am in SoCal and have my pick either way. I'm not put off by the price of official service center, my only concern is with them tossing something valuable off of my watch. The general belief seems to be that it is quite safe to have official center do the service, and that they will not toss anything without checking with me first - is this in fact the case?

And then, after all of this... would you be cool swimming in the ocean even with one of the nicer older Daytonas, given that it's been checked over by Rolex official? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but want to verify.
GoWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 04:00 PM   #2
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

It’s simply a matter of your risk tolerance, because seals eventually go. I swim with serviced vintage watches, but none of mine are as valuable as a vintage Daytona, so, if a seal blows and destroys the watch, it won’t be the end of the world.

BTW, if you decide to swim in salt water, make sure to rinse the watch with freshwater afterwards.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 10:14 PM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

In principle, it would be safe to swim in the ocean with a vintage Daytona if it had passed a pressure test. But why do it, so many bad things could happen. It's just tempting fate.
Old 19 May 2022, 11:12 PM   #4
GoWarriors
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys :)
GoWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 03:25 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Rolex won't just replace seals without the complete service, but a watch a few years old may benefit from a service.

Replacing seals does not guarantee anything, it simply reduces risk. If you have a rare dial, then you need to assess risk to you. If it is a more recent or common model, then needing to replace the dial in case of misadventure may not be a big deal.

A pressure test will let you know if your present seals are still doing their job.

Last edited by Tools; 20 May 2022 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: typo
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 10:18 AM   #6
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Take it to RSC Beverly Hills. Nice place, lovely people. They will service it, replace seals and pressure test. You can check a box and write clearly that you DO NOT want it polished, DO NOT want any parts replaced. Make sure you select those boxes and clearly write in description you want it back original. They may call you if they find excess tritium flaking, like falling out of hands. In that case, you have to decide to replace. If you do, ask for original parts back with watch.

Once you have it back, I would be happy it will hold out water in case pushed into a pool or washing dishes, but I’d put my DSSD or Sub on for an ocean swim or dive. Just smarter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 11:46 AM   #7
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Actually, if you’re just going for a quick trip, any good watchmaker should be able to perform a pressure check. If it passes ok on a Friday, it’s not going to change a week from Sunday.

If your water resistance timeframe is much longer, or it your old Daytona hasn’t been serviced in 5 years, then have it serviced like Larry said.

And then you’ll be more secure in the thought of swimming in the ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote