The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 3 August 2022, 11:12 PM   #1
Ketler
"TRF" Member

A question from someone who has never owned an omega before

I am very interested in purchasing the new Speedmaster professional moon watch. I went to look at one the other day what a beautiful piece. But I was surprised to see that it had virtually no on the fly micro adjustments on the bracelet clasp.

I was just wondering did omega omit this feature for a reason that I missing???many thanks
Ketler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2022, 11:49 PM   #2
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I think these on the fly adjustments were made common place by Rolex (relatively recently). Some others are starting to trickle these in, including some Omegas. I for one would rather skip it if it means a bulkier clasp, but I do feel my bracelet slip on colder days, kind of annoying, but most time it fits right.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2022, 02:56 AM   #3
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I agree, it is an omission on Omega's part. They were able to include microadjust in the clasp of the Chronoscope which is almost identical (slightly longer). Some people have modified their Speedmasters with Chronoscope clasps, but I agree that it should have been included stock.

There's a couple reasons Omega "may" have not done this. I am not saying I agree with any of these, but Omega could have simply said, "The Speedmaster never had microadjust so we are just keeping it the same." They also may have liked the proportions on the clasp as it was and didn't want to make it longer as it is on the Chronoscope and thus had no room include it.

The new bracelet links are much smaller and allow for better fine tuning of size, but the clasp/bracelet anchor only offers two positions (one of which is not aesthetically pleasing with a gap showing rather than a seamless design). Omega has made considerable improvements in their bracelets, but I still feel they have room to go. I think the clasp should have been a little more substantial in size (1-2mm) to balance the size of the case, included a microadjust, and the bracelet should have tapered to one millimeter larger than the current size. These are very nitpicky suggestions as my 3861 gets the vast majority of my wrist time on the OEM bracelet.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2022, 03:01 AM   #4
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketler View Post
I am very interested in purchasing the new Speedmaster professional moon watch. I went to look at one the other day what a beautiful piece. But I was surprised to see that it had virtually no on the fly micro adjustments on the bracelet clasp.

I was just wondering did omega omit this feature for a reason that I missing???many thanks
The new Speedmaster Chronoscope comes with a comfort (2.3mm) adjustment clasp, you can buy the Chronoscope clasp separately and install it on the Speedmaster, they look almost identical. I believe down the line the Speedmaster will eventually come with the same clasp, but for now this is your only option if you dont want to change the bracelet.
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2022, 09:22 AM   #5
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Quote:
I think these on the fly adjustments were made common place by Rolex (relatively recently). Some others are starting to trickle these in, including some Omegas. I for one would rather skip it if it means a bulkier clasp, but I do feel my bracelet slip on colder days, kind of annoying, but most time it fits right.
I totally agree. I purchased the modern Submariner with the adjustable clasp and sold it because the clasp was to large for my wrist.
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2022, 09:36 AM   #6
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Is this a feature more common on dive watches? Omega has had the micro adjust on the seamaster for some time. I agree it should be on all watches. Does glidelock exist on all Rolex models?
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2022, 10:31 AM   #7
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGingerwood View Post
Does glidelock exist on all Rolex models?
No, but my 116710 has an Easy-Link.

I don't know if other models have that feature, though.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2022, 10:44 AM   #8
VegasBaby
Banned

Supply Chain Shortage!!!!
VegasBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2022, 10:48 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s about the only thing I can fault on my 321. Two points on the clasp worth about 2.5mm of adjustment. I just wear it looser than I normally would.

Rolex has spoiled us
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2022, 02:09 PM   #10
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

I ordered the Chronoscope clasp when I picked up my Speedmaster. But since the bracelet’s links are small (similar to half links) I ended up getting a good fit. After about a month I received a call from Swatch that my clasp was ready, but I passed on it since I realized I didn’t really need it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2022, 07:36 PM   #11
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Yeah, it seems there are some good designs for clasps that are adjustable without tools, and it's odd that the Speedmaster Pro doesn't come with one. One of these days Omega will offer it with such a clasp, but it's anyone's guess when that will be.

Still, it's a wonderful watch that I think you'll enjoy a lot. My advice is to purchase it, adjust the bracelet to fit a bit loosely in normal conditions, and enjoy owning and wearing a Speedmaster Pro.

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2022, 08:03 PM   #12
Ketler
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all the feedback greatly appreciated
Ketler is offline   Reply With Quote