The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 10 August 2022, 12:22 AM   #1
Sglider
"TRF" Member

Two Week Watcharama

Good morning enthusiasts,

I would like to share my observations over the last two weeks in Europe and the events regarding watches leading up to those travels.

I began looking at Rolex about two months ago as we had a Swiss/Italy vacation planned, I have a new college graduate in the house, and I thought it would be a novel idea to purchase Rolexes together, in Switzerland as a graduation present and memory of the trip. I would also be buying a watch for myself knowing the intended heir, doubling his collection at some point.

Little did I know. I had no reason to be in tune with the Rolex market. But I found out, in spades.

That didn't deter me from visiting the local dealer, which contrary to much of the rhetoric here, was a good visit. He helped me narrow down some excessive choices, explained some differences and assisted in me expanding knowledge of the product. Kudos. No complaints and I hope that he's the guy I can submit a final short list of watches I like for purchase.

Onto Switzerland. Yes. We did go through Heathrow. I looked first at Watches of Switzerland and what a great display. Very comprehensive, lots of eye candy and a great place to look and compare different models. Rolex however, I think this where I'm falling short on understanding their product line in such a popular place. It must take a gross amount of money to rent that retail space and pay employees on something that turns little if any profit. Seemingly. It seems that would be the perfect place to showcase as many models as possible. But they have a 1/3 less on display than the local dealer. I fully understand now the "shortages", both the real and perceived, but if one running a business wanted to take orders, showcase all the models, etc., this seems like the perfect outlet.

Watches in Switzerland. We spent time in Interlaken and Chur. Watches galore. Just everywhere. The Rolex shop was jam packed with every watch you could think of, but it was all of the other manufacturers. They did have some professional watches on display but not much in general. Still, a great staff and great visit. I also stumbled into the dealer in Chur, wasn't seeking out the store, just happened upon it. I spoke briefly with the sales rep, it's the same discussion as everywhere else. Everyone wants a Rolex and they aren't stocking them. Not they don't want to, it's just the current market.

It's been a great research project for me. I now have a short list of watches I want, understand the differences in models, bracelets, dials, bezels, etc. Much better informed today than two months ago.

So this is where we ended up. Omega won me over and will satisfy my desires for now, we bought both the same day, so the intended memory created will last forever and we a great product. The shop in Interlaken made the sale, very congenial staff, great selection, great experience. I don't have the post count to post a pic but a Planet Ocean and Moonwatch Speedmaster were our purchases. Very satisfied.

The Rolex will come to the collection, it will be a dressier watch for me, most likely a white or silver dial. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for reading.
Sglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2022, 10:00 AM   #2
Jay
"TRF" Member

So, you just made me read all of that gibberish on a rolexforum to conclude on buying an Omega?

*sigh*

Talk about clickbait!
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2022, 10:12 AM   #3
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Omega makes great watches, wear them and enjoy. My first automatic was a Seamaster bought in 1998, still have it, still keeps great time. It’s been to Omega only twice over the years for attention. Congrats on the purchases and the new college graduate.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2022, 12:30 PM   #4
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Yea, that's the sad part. Rolex used to be a watch that someone could get to celebrate a graduation, retirement, significant event, etc... and no longer. Simply only for oligarchs and celebrities these days. The only upside being that there are many other great brands and iconic watches and you chose two that are fantastic choices.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 09:11 AM   #5
aroqih
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sglider View Post
Good morning enthusiasts,

I would like to share my observations over the last two weeks in Europe and the events regarding watches leading up to those travels.

I began looking at Rolex about two months ago as we had a Swiss/Italy vacation planned, I have a new college graduate in the house, and I thought it would be a novel idea to purchase Rolexes together, in Switzerland as a graduation present and memory of the trip. I would also be buying a watch for myself knowing the intended heir, doubling his collection at some point.

Little did I know. I had no reason to be in tune with the Rolex market. But I found out, in spades.

That didn't deter me from visiting the local dealer, which contrary to much of the rhetoric here, was a good visit. He helped me narrow down some excessive choices, explained some differences and assisted in me expanding knowledge of the product. Kudos. No complaints and I hope that he's the guy I can submit a final short list of watches I like for purchase.

Onto Switzerland. Yes. We did go through Heathrow. I looked first at Watches of Switzerland and what a great display. Very comprehensive, lots of eye candy and a great place to look and compare different models. Rolex however, I think this where I'm falling short on understanding their product line in such a popular place. It must take a gross amount of money to rent that retail space and pay employees on something that turns little if any profit. Seemingly. It seems that would be the perfect place to showcase as many models as possible. But they have a 1/3 less on display than the local dealer. I fully understand now the "shortages", both the real and perceived, but if one running a business wanted to take orders, showcase all the models, etc., this seems like the perfect outlet.

Watches in Switzerland. We spent time in Interlaken and Chur. Watches galore. Just everywhere. The Rolex shop was jam packed with every watch you could think of, but it was all of the other manufacturers. They did have some professional watches on display but not much in general. Still, a great staff and great visit. I also stumbled into the dealer in Chur, wasn't seeking out the store, just happened upon it. I spoke briefly with the sales rep, it's the same discussion as everywhere else. Everyone wants a Rolex and they aren't stocking them. Not they don't want to, it's just the current market.

It's been a great research project for me. I now have a short list of watches I want, understand the differences in models, bracelets, dials, bezels, etc. Much better informed today than two months ago.

So this is where we ended up. Omega won me over and will satisfy my desires for now, we bought both the same day, so the intended memory created will last forever and we a great product. The shop in Interlaken made the sale, very congenial staff, great selection, great experience. I don't have the post count to post a pic but a Planet Ocean and Moonwatch Speedmaster were our purchases. Very satisfied.

The Rolex will come to the collection, it will be a dressier watch for me, most likely a white or silver dial. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aroqih is offline   Reply With Quote