The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 24 May 2016, 06:33 AM   #1
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Fallen in love with the Moonwatch

I have slowly fallen in love with the Moonwatch. Such a classic and price is within reach.

I did recently put a order for a new Subc no date because I dont want to deal with counterfeit Rolex. It would hate me emotionally if I ever found out I bought a fake used Rolex.

With the Moonwatch, used price is relatively cheap (just the basic model) compare to a Rolex. The lower the capital cost, the lower the risk, just like all investment.

How do I even start? I live in Canada and often travel to Asia (Hong Kong and China mostly) for pleasure/work. I am going to guess Canada is not the place to find a good used Moonwatch. How about Hong Kong? Any recommendation on where to start? It excites me knowing I will go though the process of learning how to find the right used Moonwatch and the actually used shopping process. I often buy used electronics and vehicle, that's the only used experience I have.

Sold my damn Apple Watch last week, no more toy watch :)
mmbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 07:06 AM   #2
Mariner
"TRF" Member

Good luck on your search. Like you, I rediscovered the moonwatch recently and the hunt begins.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 03:56 PM   #3
trackpad
"TRF" Member

I think the best place to start learning about the Speedmaster is http://omegaforums.net ...and then, if you are getting very serious, get a copy of Moonwatch Only, which is just an incredible book ...and really the only reference you will need to become intimately familiar with all the 3 or 4 major references, and to be confident that whatever you buy is correct and complete. It's not cheap, but it's also worth every penny. http://www.moonwatchonly.com/ (find it cheaper and/or used on Amazon).

http://speedmaster101.com/ is another great resource, but no substitute for Moonwatch Only.
trackpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 04:15 PM   #4
RationalPragmatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Don't assume that Rolex is the only faked brand; Omega is counterfeited as well including Speedmasters. You should be no vigilant in terms of buying the seller before you buy the watch.
RationalPragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 11:58 PM   #5
josephvman
Banned

I would buy new, or the latest reference used. They aren't very expensive and the newest version has a beautiful presentation box with lots of extras, truly a fantastic package.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 01:05 AM   #6
Moving Chicane
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM233 Dot Dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
I would buy new, or the latest reference used. They aren't very expensive and the newest version has a beautiful presentation box with lots of extras, truly a fantastic package.
THIS is one of the two points I consider over and over and over as I'm mulling a Speedy for myself.

1. Do you hunt for a vintage moonwatch that may cost more, be faked, harder to find the "right one," has the softer "crystal" material (important if you wear your watches and are tough on them) but has the history; or do you buy new and have options (display back or not).
2. Is a manual wind watch something you can live with. I've never had a manual wind, only Quartz and Automatics, and I'm admittedly a little worried about maintaining the manual wind (winding it every day - really?).

Good luck and let us know what you decide! :)
41mm Starbucks
Moving Chicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 02:37 AM   #7
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Speedy is a great watch that is extremely comfortable to wear. Buy a pre-loved one here and save some $. As for winding--do not worry about it. Make it your daily ritual :-)
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 05:09 AM   #8
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalPragmatist View Post
Don't assume that Rolex is the only faked brand; Omega is counterfeited as well including Speedmasters. You should be no vigilant in terms of buying the seller before you buy the watch.
All true but the fake moon watches are RELLY horrible. If you have looked at / handled a dozen or less moon watches you can spot a fake across the room. They really are that bad.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 06:32 AM   #9
Maiden
"TRF" Member

You can find good deals on a moonwatch in Canada. Register and search the FS section on www.canwatchco.ca
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 06:41 AM   #10
trackpad
"TRF" Member

It's actually quite easy to pick an authentic Speedmaster. I recommend buying direct from a respected member of a Omega (or other) forum where vintage watch enthusiasts gather. Not only can you avoid dealer markup, but if you do your homework you can buy with absolute confidence. Look for a member with a long history and in good standing. Do your homework and ask for references. I'll reiterate the value of Moonwatch Only. :-)
trackpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2016, 03:25 AM   #11
jdlc1406
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackpad View Post
It's actually quite easy to pick an authentic Speedmaster. I recommend buying direct from a respected member of a Omega (or other) forum where vintage watch enthusiasts gather. Not only can you avoid dealer markup, but if you do your homework you can buy with absolute confidence. Look for a member with a long history and in good standing. Do your homework and ask for references. I'll reiterate the value of Moonwatch Only. :-)
I don't mean to change the subject, but could you tell me what watch that is in your profile photo? It's beautiful. Thanks!
jdlc1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2016, 09:03 AM   #12
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Chicane View Post
THIS is one of the two points I consider over and over and over as I'm mulling a Speedy for myself.
2. Is a manual wind watch something you can live with. I've never had a manual wind, only Quartz and Automatics, and I'm admittedly a little worried about maintaining the manual wind (winding it every day - really?).
You're kidding, right?

I mean, living with a manual wind watch isn't something monumentally dreadful like not like having a remote control for one's TV/ceiling fan necessitating actually having get up and walk halfway across a room to change the channel/pull the string. To wind it one can just remain sitting, reach one hand across to the opposite wrist, and mindlessly turn the crown.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2016, 09:20 AM   #13
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Love the Speedy, mines 20th anniversary piece, my go to watch almost daily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 Omegas 2.jpg (53.8 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 2 Omegas 1.jpg (75.0 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by AlTinkster92; 7 June 2016 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: adding pics
AlTinkster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2016, 11:46 AM   #14
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbiker View Post
I live in Canada and often travel to Asia (Hong Kong and China mostly) for pleasure/work. I am going to guess Canada is not the place to find a good used Moonwatch. How about Hong Kong?
Even if the Swiss watch exports to Hong Kong in January 2016 were 33% lower than a year earlier, I wouldn't say that finding a great deal on a luxury watch here in Hong Kong would be easy. Sure, it's definitely better compared to a lot of other places around the world. But personally I've always chosen to go with one of the trusted sellers here on this forum, or from a trusted dealer on Chrome24 (preferably from Europe so I can skip the VAT).

Cheers,
Joe