The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 1 March 2020, 03:43 AM   #541
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I’ve said this on day one: Put the Odysseus on a rubber strap and it‘ll be selling like crazy.

Anselm, great taste and enjoy!
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 04:40 AM   #542
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
I am going to test this theory out today at one of the boutiques. I was promised one, then unpromised it. I want to see if there is any softening.
I think it might still be too soon but by summer I bet the tides will have changed. We shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
There is currently an application form in the Uk that has to be submitted to the factory listing all currently owned Langes if you wish to be considered.
Interesting info. Honestly everything seems a bit different in the UK when it comes to watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselm View Post
Based on how many they can actually produce, not sure this policy will change. As always different parts of the world have different demand levels. When you factor that Lange only makes 5 to 6k watches in total a year. The factory is at capacity already. Not sure how many of these they can make a year, then spread across the 20 or so boutiques they have. I am lucky to own one and it has impressed me the more I wear it. It is definitely better in person than in pictures. Here on one of the few straps it fits.
Congrats. I understand their intentions but have doubts about these strategies holding not just with Lange but virtually across the board outside maybe the 5711 and 116500. We shall see.

Enjoy your watch
Old 1 March 2020, 07:08 AM   #543
anselm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Congrats. I understand their intentions but have doubts about these strategies holding not just with Lange but virtually across the board outside maybe the 5711 and 116500. We shall see.

Enjoy your watch
If Lange made a lot more not sure the demand would be there so the natural constraint matches. 5711 and 116500 are artificially made scarcity. Dealers are hoarding so many it is ridiculous. Patek makes 50k. Rolex close to 8 to 900k watches a year. Go to any grey dealer and they will have them. I still remember the days when you could buy anything at discount
anselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 07:28 AM   #544
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfortino View Post
If they produce and sell it on a blue rubber strap like this in the future I think that would be a game changer. That is freaking awesome on the rubber strap as compared to the bracelet. Well done and congrats!
Agree. The weird bracelet/case transition gone and this one suddenly looks like an interesting and original piece in its own right rather than an ill-designed effort to compete w Nautilus and RO.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 10:30 AM   #545
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselm View Post
If Lange made a lot more not sure the demand would be there so the natural constraint matches. 5711 and 116500 are artificially made scarcity. Dealers are hoarding so many it is ridiculous. Patek makes 50k. Rolex close to 8 to 900k watches a year. Go to any grey dealer and they will have them. I still remember the days when you could buy anything at discount

Yes I’m aware of the numbers but putting the demand/supply those watches still far outpace the Lange. Not even close.

I don’t even know anyone who wants one and I spend the majority of my free time talking to watch geeks online.

I’m glad you are enjoying yours and I am not trying to say either the 5711 or a Daytona is a better watch. I’m just speaking to marketability which honestly shouldn’t matter as this is collecting and not a business
Old 1 March 2020, 10:32 AM   #546
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Watch: my wrist candy
I have been told by our local Lange boutique that the Odysseus is an application piece based on purchase history.

Tried on the watch in the Dresden boutique and luckily it doesn't fit my child size wrist so not too fuss about it. It's nice but I would pick their dress watches over this any day.

Gone but not forgotten: Rolex 116233 and 16570
RollieKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 10:36 AM   #547
impinth06
"TRF" Member

I was inquiring about the Odysseus back in Dec at NYC. I was told only who spent $100k+ can be considered. I was very discouraged, I had a $53k boutique edition 1815 chronograph from them. I thought I can at least be put on a wait list. Now it makes me feel like any additional purchase will not be seen as my love of Lange watch, but a money contribution for an Odysseus allocation. That was not the reason I collect A Lange Söhne
impinth06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 12:02 PM   #548
anselm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
I’ve said this on day one: Put the Odysseus on a rubber strap and it‘ll be selling like crazy.

Anselm, great taste and enjoy!
Thanks, still hoping they make one from the factory that best fits the watch. Say like Patek does for the aquanaut.

Quote:
Yes I’m aware of the numbers but putting the demand/supply those watches still far outpace the Lange. Not even close.

I don’t even know anyone who wants one and I spend the majority of my free time talking to watch geeks online.

I’m glad you are enjoying yours and I am not trying to say either the 5711 or a Daytona is a better watch. I’m just speaking to marketability which honestly shouldn’t matter as this is collecting and not a business
Definitely the 5711 and Daytona appeals to alot more people but at least for the Nautilus, that wasn't the case a few years back. Who knows what makes things more popular. As a collector I don't buy my watches for investment, it is to wear them! There are definitely alot more collectors of Rolex and Patek but there is definitely more than enough Lange collectors out there. I have met a bunch of them and they are still waiting for their allocation to come in! I am not a Lange only, I have more Omegas and also love my Patek Aquanuat. Rolex is the only brand that alludes me as I have had multiple chances to purchase the hard to get ones and have always ended up buying something else. Only one I hope one day to get is the Platona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieKid View Post
I have been told by our local Lange boutique that the Odysseus is an application piece based on purchase history.

Tried on the watch in the Dresden boutique and luckily it doesn't fit my child size wrist so not too fuss about it. It's nice but I would pick their dress watches over this any day.
I am not sure it is an application piece. It is a new line, supply is just limited for now so they are using prior history to allocate until they meet demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impinth06 View Post
I was inquiring about the Odysseus back in Dec at NYC. I was told only who spent $100k+ can be considered. I was very discouraged, I had a $53k boutique edition 1815 chronograph from them. I thought I can at least be put on a wait list. Now it makes me feel like any additional purchase will not be seen as my love of Lange watch, but a money contribution for an Odysseus allocation. That was not the reason I collect A Lange Söhne
1815 Boutique is an awesome watch, congrats on that one. I am still debating between that one or the black face. Now I am not feeling so good about how much I am spending on Lange if I had to spend 100K+ to get one. With this hobby, you never want to actual add up how much you spend...
Old 1 March 2020, 12:12 PM   #549
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Looks much better on a strap. Having said that they should have just made a Zeitwerk diver. That’s easily their best original watch concept of the last decade.
Old 1 March 2020, 11:11 PM   #550
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Looks much better on a strap. Having said that they should have just made a Zeitwerk diver. That’s easily their best original watch concept of the last decade.

Hate to rain on your parade but tough to make a diver without a minutes hand.
Old 2 March 2020, 02:23 AM   #551
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hate to rain on your parade but tough to make a diver without a minutes hand.
Doesn’t it have a minutes display? A digital one?

Edit: and just make it a “sport” watch with 30m water resistance. Market doesn’t care.
Old 2 March 2020, 11:47 AM   #552
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Doesn’t it have a minutes display? A digital one?

Edit: and just make it a “sport” watch with 30m water resistance. Market doesn’t care.

No doubt but that would be a novel diver seeing as most incorporate a unidirectional rotating bezel with graduations as you well know!

I was hoping they would heave the 1815 chrono movement into a sports case myself.
Old 10 March 2020, 03:08 PM   #553
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Handled it in person today. Nice but I lol'd when they said I could buy it if I took home another watch. Completely different category but the eichi ii, I was trying to figure out what I can sell to buy that.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2020, 04:19 PM   #554
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Handled it in person today. Nice but I lol'd when they said I could buy it if I took home another watch. Completely different category but the eichi ii, I was trying to figure out what I can sell to buy that.
I guess they haven't been watching CNBC these past two weeks. They should be happy if you are willing to pay full retail for it at this point.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2020, 04:34 PM   #555
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
That‘s a bit like demanding to get a 116500 at retail without an additional purchase at a random Rolex AD.
Pretty sure that ALS has other worries than how to sell those few Odysseus in the coming years.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 05:12 AM   #556
Baboon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
So, lads, has the situation changed with regards to getting on the list? Still need a 100k usd purchase history?
Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 05:50 AM   #557
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon View Post
So, lads, has the situation changed with regards to getting on the list? Still need a 100k usd purchase history?
This was not the case afaik. I’ve only bought a Zeitwerk and got an allocation.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 09:49 AM   #558
anselm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
This was not the case afaik. I’ve only bought a Zeitwerk and got an allocation.
Current zeitwerk MSRP is just under $90K so you would be close.