The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 October 2019, 06:07 AM   #1
JonTheKingJames
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600 SD 43
How prone to bracelet stretch are the newer Submariners?

I haven’t seen a post on this in a while, curious if there are any updates from long time users of the Sub and Sub Date six digit models.
Old 18 October 2019, 06:27 AM   #2
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Ive had my 116613 since 2013 and I swear its just as it was day 1. I'm sure there is bound to be some stretch but I cant tell it. I wear all mine tight enough where I can just barely fit my index finger between the clasp and wrist. So not to tight nor to loose imo. I think the new heavier bracelets help with stretch.

As a matter of fact all my 6 digit models are like that. I dont have a ton like some on TRF but I have a few.
Old 18 October 2019, 06:32 AM   #3
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
this whole stretch thing is a non issue in my mind, as the owner of a 30+ year old heavily worn YG DD with minimum stretch it will be a LONG time if ever that it actually is an issue. With the new SS Subs, I would think never would it be an issue
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 06:36 AM   #4
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Solid link bracelets when washed often, stretching is a non issue. Like, your kids won’t have any issues when your gone.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 07:23 AM   #5
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

I hate it when it’s stretched out
Old 18 October 2019, 10:05 AM   #6
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
No stretch on mine.
Ticknaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 10:10 AM   #7
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Haven't noticed any stretch on my WG Smurf, and I'm not the greatest at washing it. lol
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 10:30 AM   #8
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Here's the deal; larger links mean less stretch. Hardly ever see stretch in the oyster bracelets.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 10:49 AM   #9
sgarrity
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
When did Rolex move to solid bracelets? And does it vary by model?
sgarrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 01:30 PM   #10
1WatchDawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610T Sub Date
I have an M series (2007) 16610 that I wear daily. No noticeable stretch at all!
1WatchDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 01:48 PM   #11
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I don't think any watch is prone to stretch if kept clean. Since I succumbed to wristwatch madness and started breaking my watches special brush out I haven't noticed any stretch at all.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 03:14 PM   #12
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

These new bracelets are so solid, i can’t see it being an issue. If you wear it with dirt and grime in it constantly, i mean just filthy, it will “stretch”. I just can’t see that happening though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 06:31 PM   #13
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
this whole stretch thing is a non issue in my mind, as the owner of a 30+ year old heavily worn YG DD with minimum stretch it will be a LONG time if ever that it actually is an issue. With the new SS Subs, I would think never would it be an issue
This
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 07:35 PM   #14
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
2 years with the 116610 and 1 year day and night with the 126600, not strech at all yet.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 08:05 PM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTheKingJames View Post
I haven’t seen a post on this in a while, curious if there are any updates from long time users of the Sub and Sub Date six digit models.
First its not stretch its wear in the pin holes,below a picture of my own late 1990s working tool SD it was used and sometimes abused for many years underwater as a real working tool watch.And watch has seen more use and scratches than most of today's Rolex watches will see in ten lifetimes even if it had the newer bracelet.It has been serviced and polished by 3 different RSC world wide yet shows very little wear or stretch,just keep any bracelet clean with regular service they will all in most cases out last there owners.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 08:51 PM   #16
Bigblu10
Banned

YG Sub worn daily and no bracelet wear whatsoever. But I keep it clean on a daily basis and wear it fitted snug to wrist.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 10:00 PM   #17
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Can’t speak for 6’digits, but my 20 year old 16610 worn doing anything and everything has almost 0. While it’s never been polished, I do clean it after hard use.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 01:12 AM   #18
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
I don't think that is an issue anymore. But I guess we will see in 30 years lol
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 01:13 AM   #19
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Haven’t noticed in 3 years any stretch. But again, 3 years is a very small sample size. Sooo, TBD.

Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 02:12 AM   #20
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The stretch comes over many years in the older hollow link bracelets which were worn loosely on the wrist. Its all the movement between the links from a loose fit that wears out the bracelet. I don't think surface grime has a whole lot to with it unless its really bad, caked and abrasive. I would think that would cause ugly surface wear but not stretch which is more internal.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 04:47 AM   #21
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
The stretch comes over many years in the older hollow link bracelets which were worn loosely on the wrist. Its all the movement between the links from a loose fit that wears out the bracelet. I don't think surface grime has a whole lot to with it unless its really bad, caked and abrasive. I would think that would cause ugly surface wear but not stretch which is more internal.
The solid bracelets also wear out as the hollow ones in my experience. The contact surface is the same. Indeed it's the loose wearing styles back in the day .

You'd be surprised to see how much grime and nasty stuff comes out of bracelet from a regular well cleaned watch after using an ultra sonic
Old 19 October 2019, 05:25 AM   #22
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

I bought my 16800 in 1985. I've had it serviced twice by well vetted Independents. The bracelet is virtually the same as it was 35 yrs ago when I bought it BNIB from the AD. I scuba'd with it, rode motorcycles, shot all imaginable firearms excluding Barrett .50 with it, was involved in countless tactical missions with it, and it is as good as new. Figure something else out to worry about.
Old 19 October 2019, 05:27 AM   #23
ThatExplorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
I bought my 16800 in 1985. I've had it serviced twice by well vetted Independents. The bracelet is virtually the same as it was 35 yrs ago when I bought it BNIB from the AD. I scuba'd with it, rode motorcycles, shot all imaginable firearms excluding Barrett .50 with it, was involved in countless tactical missions with it, and it is as good as new. Figure something else out to worry about.

Would have to agree with this 100%. Have worn a 16610 on two deployments to Iraq and had the hell beat out of it with no issues, stills wears the same minus all the scratches and scuffs.

ThatExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 06:20 PM   #24
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatExplorer View Post
Would have to agree with this 100%. Have worn a 16610 on two deployments to Iraq and had the hell beat out of it with no issues, stills wears the same minus all the scratches and scuffs.

Old 23 August 2021, 10:27 AM   #25
Miels
"TRF" Member

Apologies for resurrecting an older thread for my first post. I just have a question I was hoping you could help me with.

After quite some time of wanting one, I finally got my first watch. A new 41mm no date from an AD. Amazing experience and I adore the watch.

After having it for a few days I noticed that there is a little wiggle where the top links meet the case. And also after looking closely I am wondering if there is too much of a gap between links, tried to include a pic but got an alert that I need 10 posts before I do so. Is there a way putting it back in the Rolex box on the pillow could have stretched it after links were removed? There was certainly some tension when I did it.

I know I could totally be insane, so please be kind. This was just a big moment for me and where I expect my watch to gain some wear over time I do want to make sure all is normal while it’s new.

Thanks so much for dealing with this newcomer.
Miels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 02:58 PM   #26
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miels View Post
Apologies for resurrecting an older thread for my first post. I just have a question I was hoping you could help me with.

After quite some time of wanting one, I finally got my first watch. A new 41mm no date from an AD. Amazing experience and I adore the watch.

After having it for a few days I noticed that there is a little wiggle where the top links meet the case. And also after looking closely I am wondering if there is too much of a gap between links, tried to include a pic but got an alert that I need 10 posts before I do so. Is there a way putting it back in the Rolex box on the pillow could have stretched it after links were removed? There was certainly some tension when I did it.

I know I could totally be insane, so please be kind. This was just a big moment for me and where I expect my watch to gain some wear over time I do want to make sure all is normal while it’s new.

Welcome and congrats on the new watch! When you say “no date” I assume you are referring to the Submariner? I got mine a couple months ago and the bracelet was tight and a bit squeaky for about a month. Now, it’s still tight but no squeak. Please don’t worry about that stuff until the watchmaker servicing it in about 50 years mentions that you might want to look into a bracelet repair. Just wear it and enjoy it.
Old 23 August 2021, 06:06 PM   #27
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTheKingJames View Post
Well my 5 digit 16600 SD oyster bracelet has been well used and often abused for many years as a proper working tool watch underwater. And now well over 20 years and has seen more use that todays mostly pampered watches will see in ten lifetimes. Yet shows very little wear in the links or pins, reason quite simple keep them clean with just plain old soap and watches, and regular service maintenance. Then they will last a lifetime with wearing daily a snug fit on wrist.

Today this Internet term "hollow link" is a complete and utter misnomer all it means in the real world, is simply this. All the links are made from heavy solid gold or solid S.steel tubing and then formed into shape in a press. This leaves a void in the center, just like any other piece of tube,however, the tubes are still made from solid 18Ct gold or solid SS.

While the newer so called solid link bracelet might feel more substantial the newer type or so called solid links are still machined but they are machined with holes drilled right through the metal. So in the real world they are as well technically hollow but not to the same extent as the older type. And in every day wearing would doubt if any real difference in strength or longevity of life as long as you keep them clean. Thats the simple answer in the life of any Rolex oyster bracelet keep it clean and they will last 20-30 years plus.

Even the older type 5 series Oyster bracelets have been stress tested and will take 525 lbs pressure before breaking and that's enough to seriously damage your wrist.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 06:11 PM   #28
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Steel doesn’t stretch. I guess the term has been coined over the years to explain the pin wear that occurs between link and axis. I believe that one metal had a higher tensile strength than the other. Can’t remember if its the pin or the link that was harder than the other, thus causing wear when blended with skin oils, creams, grit, sand and debris which made the perfect home-made honing paste…of the type used to hone cylinder head valves…
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 06:39 PM   #29
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Deleted
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 07:44 PM   #30
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miels View Post

A little wiggle is quite normal within manufacturing tolerances where the end links meet the case. You can generally feel it rather than see it. If it wasn't there, it would be almost impossible to fit the bracelet to the case.

As for the Rolex box pillow, assuming its the same flexible "sprung" pillow it has always been, no, the tension from the pillow is not going to have caused any wear or stretch.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote