The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 18 May 2019, 10:16 AM   #1
znammzDJ41
"TRF" Member

Rolex Datejust 41 Authenticity Testing

Hello everyone, I'm fairly new to the Rolex game and just recently bought my first Rolex DJ41 from a gray market dealer, Gold Watch Co. Here is the thing I checked for authenticity. Are there anything else I need to check for?

1. The word ROLEX and serial # are lasers etched in a very fine and uniform manner on the inner ring. The Rolex logo at 6 o'clock is present at a certain angle.

2. The bezel, index, Rolex logos, and bracelet finishes are very fine and uniform. Bracelet feels solid and well made with no deviation from one to another. It is almost as good as my Grand Seiko Spring Drive IMO.

3. The famous date just function operated as it suppose to be, immediately change to the next date after 24 hours rotation.

4. Lum is very good and much better compares to my other high-end watch. I shined LED light on the face for 2 seconds and went into my closet and the lum is blue and very bright.

5. Currently running the 70 hours test right now to ensure it is the 3235 in the case.

Here are my two questions for the group:

1. Is there any fake movement in high-end replica in the market that does the same date just function?

2. Is there any fake movement in high-end replica in the market that has the same 70 hours reserve?

3. I did not want to bring the DJ41 to a local watchmaker for inspection because I don't want to risk the chance of messing up the movement. The local watchmaker said they will have to disassemble the watch and movement to check. What are your recommendations?

3. I did not want to bring the DJ41 to a local watchmaker for inspection because I don't want to risk the chance of messing up the movement. The local watchmaker said they will have to disassemble the watch and movement to check. What are your recommendations?
znammzDJ41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 04:02 PM   #2
dive_and_ride_1965
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD4000
If you are not sure to that point that the watch is not fake, why did you bought it?
My guess is you just need to relax and enjoy your watch, too late to cry
Old 18 May 2019, 07:15 PM   #3
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
I would say is you researched the seller for reviews and we all should do that before buying and all looked good just enjoy the watch, the few quick searches I did on them they appear to be legit but if your going to keep thinking about it take it to a local AD and have the check it
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 10:40 PM   #4
edweather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Illuminator
Not an expert, but it worries me that the LEC shows up a bit TOO well.
Old 19 May 2019, 12:22 AM   #5
kirikenz
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 16234
I would relax. I don't notice any red flags, but the photos are somewhat low resolution.

The LEC looks correct to me. My guess is that it took some playing around to capture that shot.

The blue lume implies Chromalight instead of Superluminova. Generally non-pro models still use the green Superluminova, while Pro/Sport models feature Chromalight. However DJIIs did use both, so this is totally normal.

If you're in Southern California, "Jewelers On Time" has a stable of watchmakers, any of which I would trust to take a look. They would not need to disassemble the movement, just unscrew the case back to peek at the movement. I honestly wouldn't bother though, I don't think you have enough to be concerned about.
kirikenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 09:55 AM   #6
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edweather View Post
On my DJII it’s almost it was almost impossible for me to find mine but I did but it took me about 15 mins under different light and magnifier
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Old 19 May 2019, 10:53 AM   #7
Speedy123360
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TV
If a jeweler takes longer than 2 minutes to open and inspect a watch to be real then you're going to the wrong jeweler. Literally would have to be brain dead to mess up a movement while inspecting it.
Old 19 May 2019, 11:29 AM   #8
tigey
"TRF" Member

the watch is genuine Rolex
tigey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 12:37 PM   #9
znammzDJ41
"TRF" Member

I called RSC and a local jeweler that dealt with Rolex and they want $150 and $125 for authenticating the watch. I was thinking "wtf" for a 2 minutes job. Anyway, thanks to everyone for chiming in.
znammzDJ41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 09:40 AM   #10
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If you can get it authenticated for nothing, then fair enough. But if you expect someone else to work for nothing, or for the rate you want to pay, it might take some time to match a skilled expert, in their business premises, with their tools, to your acceptable price range.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 03:26 PM   #11
MinMay
Banned

You paid 10K for a Rolex and you're complaining about a $150 authentication? LOL.

It sounds like you know what you're doing...since it should take you 2 minutes like you said...

FYI, be prepare to pay $1,000 for maintenance service costs when the time comes...
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 08:54 PM   #12
JohnTz
"TRF" Member

Looks authentic and also very polished. If it still nags at you just pay the small money of 150 and get it authenticated by Rolex.
JohnTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 09:37 PM   #13
erhein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by znammzDJ41 View Post
I called RSC and a local jeweler that dealt with Rolex and they want $150 and $125 for authenticating the watch. I was thinking "wtf" for a 2 minutes job. Anyway, thanks to everyone for chiming in.
The cost breaks down as follows: $25.00 for the time it takes to open the case and inspect the movement and $125.00 for knowing what to look for to determine whether it’s legit.
erhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 11:20 PM   #14
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhein View Post
The cost breaks down as follows: $25.00 for the time it takes to open the case and inspect the movement and $125.00 for knowing what to look for to determine whether it’s legit.
Yup. Knowledge is expensive. Plus premises, taxes, benefits etc etc. Watch looks fine to me and sounds like you not only did some research but also bought from an apparently ok seller (I don't know them personally).

Either stop worrying or pay $150 and then stop worrying. I would probably pay it as you have already spent too long worrying about it IMO? :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 21 May 2019, 10:28 AM   #15
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

If you purchased from Grey and it came with a warranty card and the watch is less than 5 years old you can take it to an AD for say a timing issue and while they look at that issue under warranty I’m sure they will first check to see if it’s authentic and it’s done for free.
Old 21 May 2019, 11:10 AM   #16
Randy63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edweather View Post
Me neither. That LEC does POP though. I can even make it out on the bottom right photo.

Randy
Randy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 12:05 AM   #17
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Are these your pictures or the pictures the seller sent?

The watch in the box looks like a real Rolex. The other pictures don't look quite right. That could be lighting or the angle of the shots. Can't say for sure.

Side note. A certificate of authenticity doesn't mean anything.
Old 24 May 2019, 03:08 AM   #18
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Just to answer your question
5. Currently running the 70 hours test right now to ensure it is the 3235 in the case.

Here are my two questions for the group:

1. Is there any fake movement in high-end replica in the market that does the same date just function?
YES - NO PROBLEM

2. Is there any fake movement in high-end replica in the market that has the same 70 hours reserve?
They claim too, but not something I tested

In my opinion, impossible to authenticate or otherwise those photos.
If you want to PM me the serial number I can test it
Adam
Old 24 May 2019, 05:04 AM   #19
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Are these your pictures or the pictures the seller sent?
Good question.

I believe that is the same seller who was previously called out for photo-shopping pics of watches...and buildings, lol:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=198654
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 05:07 AM   #20
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
For a model with a fluted bezel, it should be easy enough to do quick check just by its weight. Replicas wouldn't have a full gold bezel, which makes them lighter.

The LEC does seem to be too visible.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 08:51 AM   #21
kirikenz
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 16234
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Good question.

I believe that is the same seller who was previously called out for photo-shopping pics of watches...and buildings, lol:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=198654
Wow! Did not know about that reputation! The building picture is hilarious. For anyone interested, it's attached to this post: https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...8&postcount=84
kirikenz is offline   Reply With Quote