The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 25 March 2012, 03:38 AM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
New PO 45.5 8500. Impulse Buy

I have been anti Omega for the last few years. I just did not think that the cost was equal to the quality. And, I love the speedy, but think the 42mm looks too small. Which is interesting....because I love my Sub C LN.

I always loved the PO (had one in the past), but felt that 42 also looked too small and the 45.5 was way too big.

Anyway, I was shopping around and stopped in to look at watches. The sales guy knows I am a watch guy and goes into the back room and pulled out the new 8500 with the black rubber strap and orange trim. I absolutely fell in love.

It is extremely comfortable, looks great and I think the deployment clasp is awesome. The rubber looks like it could be rubber or leather, which I think is a neat trick. They gave me 10% and I left the store with it.

I think my one concern is that I think the the size may end up bothering me. Feedback from my girl and some friends has been super and they usually yawn when I get a new watch.

I wanted to post a few pics to see what you guys think. I am not a big guy, but nor am I little. I am 5'10" and am fit at 180 pounds. I took a couple of pics to give you an idea. What say you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1450.jpg (95.7 KB, 548 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1447.jpg (103.1 KB, 549 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1448.jpg (116.9 KB, 549 views)

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 03:50 AM   #2
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I think it looks very good on you. Because of the added thickness of the PO, it's going to wear smaller than the 45MM suggests. You're also not a small guy.

Also, to me, the PO is gonna look way more original than your Sub-C!! Why? The beautiful orange metallic numbers... combined with the dark grey bezel.

The dark grey bezel contrasts beautifully with the black dial and makes it a helluva lot more unique looking and vintage. The matte black color looks a lot more attractive, humble, less blingy which I prefer. As I said in another thread, the PO 8500 is more elegant than the Sub-C IMO and YET has more presence. That is an achievement in my book.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 03:56 AM   #3
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the feedback warrior. I was at a bar a few weeks ago and I was one four people with a Sub C on. It turned me off and wanted to be wearing something different.

I agree with your assessment on the vintage look as well, which I had not really thought of before.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Old 25 March 2012, 04:01 AM   #4
MikeyP
"TRF" Member

Great watch and the size looks good on your wrist!

The only thing preventing me from picking one up is the thickness. I went to the Omega boutique in NY a few weeks ago and did a side by side comparison of the 2500 and 8500 and it was a noticeable change in case thickness. It shouldn't be much of an issue with t-shirts in the summer but I can't imagine squeezing it under a long sleeve...
MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 04:03 AM   #5
MikeyP
"TRF" Member

...also glad to see how many more people have come over from the main Rolex forum and have taken interest in the new Omega lineup!
MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 04:03 AM   #6
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Looks awesome!
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 04:08 AM   #7
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Great watch and the size looks good on your wrist!

The only thing preventing me from picking one up is the thickness. I went to the Omega boutique in NY a few weeks ago and did a side by side comparison of the 2500 and 8500 and it was a noticeable change in case thickness. It shouldn't be much of an issue with t-shirts in the summer but I can't imagine squeezing it under a long sleeve...
I hear you on the thickness.....not much of a worry for me as even with a dress shirt on, I ALWAYS roll up my sleeves.

It is thick, but I am not sure that this bothers me. I am getting used to having a big watch again and I think I really like it.

I loved my 2500 way back when, but it just did not snap for me. This watch snaps. I really love the design and the orange.

I think this one will be a keeper.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 25 March 2012, 04:09 AM   #8
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
Looks awesome!
Thanks brother!

Old 25 March 2012, 04:10 AM   #9
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
It looks great on you There's no question that the strap and clasp are works of art on that watch. I've tried one on about 3 or 4 times with the rubber strap with the holes in it and a deployment clasp and fell in love, some day it would be my lake watch

Enjoy it
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 04:12 AM   #10
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
...also glad to see how many more people have come over from the main Rolex forum and have taken interest in the new Omega lineup!
I really love Rolex in general. But I can't seem to be passionate about them anymore. And I really want to be.

I think I just see them everywhere. And when I am in a business meeting, I think it gives of the wrong impression. Everything is a sale and I own a small business. I don't want my customers thinking that I am making too much off them. I think that Omega gives off a great impression. "Doing well...but not over the top".

Like I said, I was anti Omega for a while, but I think I am coming over to the dark side. I really love some of the new pieces they are coming out with.

I think I will be perusing this forum more and more.

Old 25 March 2012, 04:13 AM   #11
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
It looks great on you There's no question that the strap and clasp are works of art on that watch. I've tried one on about 3 or 4 times with the rubber strap with the holes in it and a deployment clasp and fell in love, some day it would be my lake watch

Enjoy it
Thanks brother. Appreciate the comment.

Old 25 March 2012, 04:31 AM   #12
m6894
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I think it looks great, and on rubber it won't be to heavy. Congrats!
m6894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 05:08 AM   #13
beaglehusky
"TRF" Member

I think it looks great! I was a victim of impulse too when I got my PO 8500 42mm, but I don't regret it one bit.

Congrats and enjoy.
beaglehusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 05:48 AM   #14
mfserge
Banned

Watch: YM40 Rhodium
Congrats!!!! That looks awesome on the black / orange strap. The 8500 isn't overly thick, mine fits under my dress shirt with ease. Enjoy the new beauty!!
mfserge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 06:07 AM   #15
emagni
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Looks good and the matte bezel looks great!
Old 25 March 2012, 06:45 AM   #16
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Everything is a sale and I own a small business. I don't want my customers thinking that I am making too much off them. I think that Omega gives off a great impression. "Doing well...but not over the top".
I've had this argument with others on this forum and agree with you 100%
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 07:05 AM   #17
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I've had this argument with others on this forum and agree with you 100%

I am in construction. I recently had a meeting with code officials where I pointed to something on a plan with my left hand. Believe me....they and my customer all looked at my Rolex. It was a little uncomfortable.

I think, for some professions, it is very appropriate, or even part of the sale to wear a watch that people perceive as super expensive. For others, such as mine, it leads to the wrong impression.

They don't know that I am 38, no kids and relatively no monthly bills. All they see is the "name". Perception is everything.

I love the subdued look of the Omega. Nice..for certain, but not over the top. Doing well, yes....but not making a killing.

I am honestly now thinking about getting rid of my Sub C LN and swapping it out for a Speedy.

I will give it time and enjoy my new PO, but I think you are spot on with your assessment.

Old 25 March 2012, 07:28 AM   #18
Nica64
"TRF" Member

Congrats!! It looks real nice on you

I love this watch I'm planning on getting one next month.
Old 25 March 2012, 07:52 AM   #19
ManUtd
"TRF" Member

Very nice, congrats!

When I was looking for the PO 8500 TI, I stumbled upon the bracelet version of your watch and I almost bought it on the spot. I initially thought 45.5mm was gonna to be too big on my 7" wrist but I was surprised that it looked good.
ManUtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 07:53 AM   #20
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I think you have worried needlessly, I think it looks perfect on your wrist. Many congratulations, tis a beauty.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 08:56 AM   #21
ath1212
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Panda
Icon14

Great watch. l have the old 2500 Omega seamaster LMPO, it's comfortable to wear and gets a lot of wrist time and compliments. I've done a side by side comparison with the new 8500 movement, it is thicker but not a deal breaker for me, l hope to have one by years end. I love the contrast of the orange numbers and the orange stitching. Enjoy it!
ath1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 09:07 AM   #22
InTime
Banned

looks great. great impulse buy! wow
InTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 10:49 AM   #23
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200, 116610
One of my CO-Workers just got the same watch but not the orange numbers.. I believe he wanted that one but all the AD's in NJ did not have that one so he got the blue numbers on a bracelet.. I really cant believe how much omega JACKED up there prices that watch is as much as a sub-C now I believe... He was shopping the crap out of it to find a AD that would give him the right price.. He said that to boutiques had all the new inventory and they where not discounting at all so he found a AD that got him on, he just got it last Week.. SOme thing i did not like is no micro adjustment on the steel band and they are not full screws , the screws just hold the pins in.. HE got his in NJ also at a AD in Cranford NJ
Stonedcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 12:57 PM   #24
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
One of my CO-Workers just got the same watch but not the orange numbers.. I believe he wanted that one but all the AD's in NJ did not have that one so he got the blue numbers on a bracelet.. I really cant believe how much omega JACKED up there prices that watch is as much as a sub-C now I believe... He was shopping the crap out of it to find a AD that would give him the right price.. He said that to boutiques had all the new inventory and they where not discounting at all so he found a AD that got him on, he just got it last Week.. SOme thing i did not like is no micro adjustment on the steel band and they are not full screws , the screws just hold the pins in.. HE got his in NJ also at a AD in Cranford NJ
Apparently this combo is hard to get. The sales guy gave me the ole "I'm pulling this out of the back room only because you are a regular customer". True or not, this does appear to be a tough combo. I can't speak to the bracelet, but I love what I have seen of them.

I do not think this is up to par in terms of quality of my sub c. But I like it just the same and it was 2k less, list. Based on research the bracelet is only slightly more expensive.

Boutiques do not discount. Long story short, this AD was a bit of a special case and three phone calls were made before I got my 10%.

Old 26 March 2012, 07:41 AM   #25
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Seems to me that's a strength, not a weakness. Why? No torsional forces applied to the screws themselves during wear... which should mean that they don't work loose like regular screws. That's probably a good thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2012, 09:24 PM   #26
rob541
"TRF" Member

Looks great. I have the same watch and I also work in the construction field. Looks great on you. Keep the pictures coming!

Rob
rob541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2012, 11:40 PM   #27
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2012, 11:44 PM   #28
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Looks great on your wrist. congrats.

I think the 8500's are just stunning, a huge jump forward for Omega over the 2500's.

I could not stand the shine from my Sub C's bezel and the gloss dial was just to much. Omega with the matt dial and matt like grayish ceramic hit it out of the park, it is a much better look.
Old 27 March 2012, 01:56 AM   #29
mws222
Banned

Very nice! Still waiting for my 42mm to come in.
mws222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2012, 01:37 PM   #30
InTime
Banned

i saw the 42mm today. it looks awesome. i dont like the thickness though, but still love it.
InTime is offline   Reply With Quote