The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 December 2017, 01:38 AM   #1
blah114
Banned

Watch: iPhone
Two tone ceramic bluesy thoughts

After having this piece for a few years, it just doesn’t do it for me. I hardly ever wear it, but when I do,it’s too much bling. I’m thinking of trading it for a pre ceramic sub or Kermit once the USA housing market again collapses.

I also find it hard to read because of all the colors. I’ve tried to like this watch because my wife even loves it. The AD loves it too and offered to buy it back less ten percent, which isn’t so bad.

My question is for sub wearers.... is the black legible. Do you guys like pre ceramic or ceramic. Then there’s the bracelet to consider. The slid8ng clasp is a very nice option and I love it, BUT I never really have to use it. Not even on my deep blue. So, really it’s not that important to me, despite being impressive.

Have you guys ditched the two tone blue sub, and if so, for what? I think the standard sub would be my preference or even an explorer 2 for its gmt function.

I guess I’ll get gouged but my two tone is the newer sunburst dial. My wife loves the sub. I find it hard to read, gaudy, and almost artificial in looks. I’m just not into two tone for watches, for myself. Were this sub rose gold two tone, I think it would be subdued and toned down. Thanks for reading. I’ll be asking this same question of my psychiatrist next week.
blah114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2017, 01:48 AM   #2
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
I would sell it and get a simple black LN sub. No point on keeping a watch you don't like. The black subC is easy to read.
Old 10 December 2017, 04:12 AM   #3
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
id get the lvc. kermit is nice but very pricey

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2017, 05:19 AM   #4
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
For me, the dial on the black sub and Bluesy are very easy to read. You can't go wrong with an Explorer II either.
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 05:46 AM   #5
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕

Same here as a Bluesy and 116610LN owner,
No problems reading them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datejustrms View Post
For me, the dial on the black sub and Bluesy are very easy to read. You can't go wrong with an Explorer II either.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 10:55 AM   #6
blah114
Banned

I wore the watch this week and it’s growing on me. It’s still a bit flashy, for,me. But I’ll keep,it.
Old 17 December 2017, 03:14 AM   #7
yhzdude
2024 Pledge Member

i am not a fan or blue gold and SS. so that watch is not for me. the tone of that blue is not for me. but to each their own...that s taste and colors..
now let me ask you, what made you buy the watch in the first place?
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:22 AM   #8
blah114
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhzdude View Post
i am not a fan or blue gold and SS. so that watch is not for me. the tone of that blue is not for me. but to each their own...that s taste and colors..
now let me ask you, what made you buy the watch in the first place?
That’s a good question. I loved when i got,it, plus I got a giant discount when I bought it New, resale was a factor for sure. My wife also absolute loves the watch. Still does, too,
Old 18 December 2017, 03:23 AM   #9
T4ME
"TRF" Member

Two tones are the best of both worlds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 10:27 AM   #10
yhzdude
2024 Pledge Member

there is nothing wrong with that.
At least now you know you are not in love with it.So sell it and get something you like.
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 04:42 PM   #11
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah114 View Post
After having this piece for a few years, it just doesn’t do it for me. I hardly ever wear it, but when I do,it’s too much bling. I’m thinking of trading it for a pre ceramic sub or Kermit once the USA housing market again collapses.

I also find it hard to read because of all the colors. I’ve tried to like this watch because my wife even loves it. The AD loves it too and offered to buy it back less ten percent, which isn’t so bad.

My question is for sub wearers.... is the black legible. Do you guys like pre ceramic or ceramic. Then there’s the bracelet to consider. The slid8ng clasp is a very nice option and I love it, BUT I never really have to use it. Not even on my deep blue. So, really it’s not that important to me, despite being impressive.

Have you guys ditched the two tone blue sub, and if so, for what? I think the standard sub would be my preference or even an explorer 2 for its gmt function.

I guess I’ll get gouged but my two tone is the newer sunburst dial. My wife loves the sub. I find it hard to read, gaudy, and almost artificial in looks. I’m just not into two tone for watches, for myself. Were this sub rose gold two tone, I think it would be subdued and toned down. Thanks for reading. I’ll be asking this same question of my psychiatrist next week.
...just the opposite! Already have the black Sub 116610LN & just added the 13LB.

Couldn't be happier!

Admittedly, it wont be suitable to wear in every situation, but on the occasions when it will be, Man, I cant wait!

As a new owner of the TT its hard for me to understand why you don't like it, but hey, it wouldn't do for us all to like the same things would it?

I assume you must have liked it once or you wouldn't have bought it.

Its a shame you have fallen out of love with it.

Anyway, if you do decide to trade for an LN my choice would be ceramic (but hey, that's just me) - you wont have any issues with legibility its perfect!

Good luck whatever you choose - and don't forget the pics!

Here's my 2 below...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81d4d83ffa9a418a7bf90370ecf8a5ffaa.jpg (41.2 KB, 1429 views)
File Type: jpg 327f03b2b1ea46900cdbd6ca5e46e74c.jpg (129.4 KB, 1433 views)
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 04:41 PM   #12
AdamG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 digit ref
Love the 18k version
AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 08:42 PM   #13
blah114
Banned

Update. I wore this for a few weeks straight. I now love the watch. The key was pairing it properly with dress shirts. I’ve been wearing this as a dress watch, which it is, but also wearing it on weekends. I’m finding it not flashy anymore. Just thought I’d add this information. I’m finding the to be the most versatile watch I own.
Old 17 February 2018, 05:35 PM   #14
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Update. I wore this for a few weeks straight. I now love the watch. The key was pairing it properly with dress shirts. I’ve been wearing this as a dress watch, which it is, but also wearing it on weekends. I’m finding it not flashy anymore. Just thought I’d add this information. I’m finding the to be the most versatile watch I own.
Sometimes we worry too much how we think other people will interoperate what we are wearing i.e 'its too flash/brash/in yer' face" etc, when actually we should just care about what we like because chances are other people aren't actually thinking any of those things we thought they were anyway...!

Glad you are enjoying your watch again and don't worry what others may or may not think...if your enjoying it, that's all that matters...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171221_114629082a.jpg (113.4 KB, 1211 views)

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 08:36 PM   #15
iznoguud
"TRF" Member

Watch: Torn between a few
Quote:
It really is a beautiful watch with the correct combination, IMHO, of a dress and casual watch. One just needs to find the right balance to it.

How about readability? Keeps hard to read?
iznoguud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 10:10 AM   #16
blah114
Banned

I find it easier to read now because I just hold my wrist differently. Mine is the maxi dial version which in some weird way is busy for me. It’s a submariner. It’s among the best multi purpose watches in existence. I had a lady ask me if it was real,,which was weird. Since I didn’t know her, I said it was an invicta. Not kidding. On the street that happened.
Old 14 April 2018, 07:06 AM   #17
blah114
Banned

I now wear the two tone blue 3-4 days weekly. No one cares. It’s completely grown for,me.
Old 14 April 2018, 07:13 AM   #18
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Mine is a daily driver. My thoughts: The blue bezel does not match the dial. The blue bezel matched the flat blue dial, but when they put the sunburst dial in they should have adjusted the blue bezel accordingly. It looks cartoon blue in some lights. The old 5 digit 16613 had a far superior blue colour bezel, rich and dark.

Other than that, I love it..
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 01:59 PM   #19
richter
"TRF" Member

I had always wanted a 116610LN as long as I can remember. I eventually got it but then ended up getting bored of the black dial so I eventually sold it. My next sub will be the two tone blue sub. I used to think it was too flashy but now I think it will be just right for me. Funny how individual tastes change over time.
richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 03:37 PM   #20
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
You have to be comfortable with the watch you wear. The LN is very classy and less conspicuous. I would trade.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 05:29 PM   #21
peterpl
Banned

Dial hard to read? If you think the bluesy dial is hard to read you wont find the others as easy either. Its one of the easiest dials to read out of all my watches.

You might need a white dial explorer that would be easiest I would say.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 05:30 PM   #22
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
The bluesy is a beautiful watch and very versatile. I’d love to own one.
Glad to hear that you are enjoying yours now!
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 05:57 PM   #23
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Sometimes we worry too much how we think other people will interoperate what we are wearing i.e 'its too flash/brash/in yer' face" etc, when actually we should just care about what we like because chances are other people aren't actually thinking any of those things we thought they were anyway...!

Glad you are enjoying your watch again and don't worry what others may or may not think...if your enjoying it, that's all that matters...

Very nice!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 11:02 AM   #24
blah114
Banned

I recently wore the two tone blue submariner on a trip. I really came to adore this piece for many reasons. What I believe I discovered was this watch’s versatility. Here are real world examples..... I wore this watch while staying in a treehouse in a German (yet USA) area during October fest .. I wore it to a coffee shop and it went unnoticed until the coffee shop owner approached and quietly complimented “the Rolex” ... I wore it to a winery and drank (homemade) root beer on a hillside .. in the sunlight, I saw the blue swirl unlike I’d before noticed. The blue changed in the light beautifully. I accidentally hit a link against a door at this winery but didn’t care .. because the stainless steel protected the gold links. There’s durability in two tone.

Here’s where the watch really proved its versatility most: dinner. We dined at three very different restaurants .. one place makes their own whiskey, bourbon,etc, moderately priced. Another place at which we dined was very informal, jeans and so on. The third dinner place was very formal, very fancy, and expensive, for us ... the house , built in 1850s is now a restaurant requiring reservations a year in advance, with a five course menu, and so on. Very formal, yet fun. The man brews his own beers, licensed, and makes his own ports. To dine at this place requires old school respect because the owner is the waiter and his kids are the cooks.. $$$ Per person. They only accommodate seven people for dinner total, and only on saturdays. In any case, the two tone blue sub fit every occasion, all attire, all cuisine, all events. No worries about rain. It really amazes me how this watch can fit any occasion. I was comfortable wearing this watch at all times and the steel protects the gold in my mind. I realized the 1980s feel of the two tone won’t be appreciated, nor worn, by all and therefore believe you won’t see this watch everywhere. Frankly, I rarely, if ever, see anyone wearing a Rolex where I live... I’m lucky to spot a quartz movado.. in any case, I’ve concluded this submariner is a versatile piece, comfortable, hefty, beautiful, noticeable not noticeable, durable, legible, changing in sunlight, all the while holding its value. I could have packed my rose gold patek 5196, but frankly worried about the leather strap, the gold, the weather impacting the crown or leather , and wore the sub worry free. I have to say I really fell in love with the two tone blue submariner during this trip. I’ve realized it’s not what you wear, but with whom and when (this isn’t even a revalation,but is common sense)... I’ve come to realize the two tone sub is likely the best piece I own, and I’m extremely fortunate to own it. I could see actually buying someday a two tone black dial sub to complement the blue sub, or a two tone skydweller.. but they won’t compare with the two tone blue dial combination, for me. Thanks.
Old 14 November 2018, 11:10 AM   #25
twins2003
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Planning to be my next watch. Hopefully in the next few weeks!
twins2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 11:29 AM   #26
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:

I’ve realized it’s not what you wear, but with whom and when (this isn’t even a revalation,but is common sense)... I’ve come to realize the two tone sub is likely the best piece I own, and I’m extremely fortunate to own it.
Agreed.

Glad you gave the watch a chance and are enjoying it.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 11:36 AM   #27
nick800
"TRF" Member

I’ve only worn mine a few times since getting it early this year. I decided to wear it for a whole week while in Las Vegas last week. It definitely grew on me. And people sure noticed it. I’m sorta young, and I got a couple looks from the wrist to my face that I interpreted as WTF? I was there for work.

Saw lots of Rolex, but what blew me away was that I saw at least 4 SD/DS. Never seen them in person and they looked real nice. Now I’m looking for a 116600!
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 11:56 AM   #28
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
It's great that you gave the watch a thorough tryout and are now enjoying it.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 12:19 PM   #29
Phrank
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
I find the Bluesy very easy to read, and as mentioned, don't overthink it, it's usually only us that think our watches stand out, they don't, most people don't even notice them nor care.

Those that do, what did one member post, a woman commented on his Rolex Bluesy with, "Nice Invicta!!", he said thanks, no point in saying anything else....lol.

Wear it and enjoy it, for me, it's always a blast to wear the Submariner 16613lb!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex_Bluesy2.jpg (126.0 KB, 762 views)
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 02:09 PM   #30
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I recently wore the two tone blue submariner on a trip. I really came to adore this piece for many reasons. What I believe I discovered was this watch’s versatility. Here are real world examples..... I wore this watch while staying in a treehouse in a German (yet USA) area during October fest .. I wore it to a coffee shop and it went unnoticed until the coffee shop owner approached and quietly complimented “the Rolex” ... I wore it to a winery and drank (homemade) root beer on a hillside .. in the sunlight, I saw the blue swirl unlike I’d before noticed. The blue changed in the light beautifully. I accidentally hit a link against a door at this winery but didn’t care .. because the stainless steel protected the gold links. There’s durability in two tone.

Here’s where the watch really proved its versatility most: dinner. We dined at three very different restaurants .. one place makes their own whiskey, bourbon,etc, moderately priced. Another place at which we dined was very informal, jeans and so on. The third dinner place was very formal, very fancy, and expensive, for us ... the house , built in 1850s is now a restaurant requiring reservations a year in advance, with a five course menu, and so on. Very formal, yet fun. The man brews his own beers, licensed, and makes his own ports. To dine at this place requires old school respect because the owner is the waiter and his kids are the cooks.. $$$ Per person. They only accommodate seven people for dinner total, and only on saturdays. In any case, the two tone blue sub fit every occasion, all attire, all cuisine, all events. No worries about rain. It really amazes me how this watch can fit any occasion. I was comfortable wearing this watch at all times and the steel protects the gold in my mind. I realized the 1980s feel of the two tone won’t be appreciated, nor worn, by all and therefore believe you won’t see this watch everywhere. Frankly, I rarely, if ever, see anyone wearing a Rolex where I live... I’m lucky to spot a quartz movado.. in any case, I’ve concluded this submariner is a versatile piece, comfortable, hefty, beautiful, noticeable not noticeable, durable, legible, changing in sunlight, all the while holding its value. I could have packed my rose gold patek 5196, but frankly worried about the leather strap, the gold, the weather impacting the crown or leather , and wore the sub worry free. I have to say I really fell in love with the two tone blue submariner during this trip. I’ve realized it’s not what you wear, but with whom and when (this isn’t even a revalation,but is common sense)... I’ve come to realize the two tone sub is likely the best piece I own, and I’m extremely fortunate to own it. I could see actually buying someday a two tone black dial sub to complement the blue sub, or a two tone skydweller.. but they won’t compare with the two tone blue dial combination, for me. Thanks.
This really says it all, I went through the same process as you, but not as severe, where I kind of fell out of love with my 116613lb. I could sell it for no loss and came very close to moving it. Glad I didn't, I have come to love it even more, and I can see how it is a daily driver for many. You just have to be comfortable knowing you are wearing a noticeable, but stunningly beautiful watch (to most people). Glad you are enjoying it Quick pic of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluesypeek.jpg (239.8 KB, 714 views)
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote