The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 October 2021, 03:00 AM   #91
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD1975 View Post
I agree that people don't have to give their information, I said so above. Goldsmiths etc are using legitimate interests as their reason for processing the data, not consent. That requires a balancing test of the rights of the data subject against the rights of the company. They also need to make sure that their use of data is adequate, relevant and limited to only what is necessary.

I'm not at all sure, if pushed, they could satisfy the above, especially if, as said above, they are asking for details of people's families. At best they are pushing the limits. Notice I never said they were directly in breach though.
I think it depends on how you are asked for personal information, my SA knows quite a lot about me, my wife and my family but that is because I have dropped in so many times and just talked to them, I equally know a bit about their personal situations and families simply because it came out in conversations.

Now if my SA had sat me down at the first ever meeting and asked this information I doubt if I would now own a Rolex as I would not have replied to the questions but left the store.

My belief is that the stores are desperate to know about you because they are keen to try and establish if you are a flipper, I am reasonably sure that my SA doesn’t want to sell a watch to someone who then immediately sells it on, so getting to know a bit about each client is one way of trying to ascertain whether you want the watch to own and wear or whether you just want to make a fast buck.

We all bitch and moan about our AD’s and the lack of watches available but we also bitch and moan when the AD tries to establish if we are genuine buyers to own or just out to make a bit of money.

I know one thing, I certainly wouldn’t want to be an AD, they can’t do right for doing wrong.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 03:06 AM   #92
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post

My belief is that the stores are desperate to know about you because they are keen to try and establish if you are a flipper, I am reasonably sure that my SA doesn’t want to sell a watch to someone who then immediately sells it on, so getting to know a bit about each client is one way of trying to ascertain whether you want the watch to own and wear or whether you just want to make a fast buck.

We all bitch and moan about our AD’s and the lack of watches available but we also bitch and moan when the AD tries to establish if we are genuine buyers to own or just out to make a bit of money.

I know one thing, I certainly wouldn’t want to be an AD, they can’t do right for doing wrong.:
Nice to hear someone expressing these sentiments.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 03:10 AM   #93
NickD1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My belief is that the stores are desperate to know about you because they are keen to try and establish if you are a flipper
I have no doubt that’s a good part of it, they do need to be transparent if that is the reason though.

The experience between WOS Group and my local independent AD was night and day. I expect there are good SAs in Goldsmiths/WOS branches, but I didn’t find them in my local one.
NickD1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 03:20 AM   #94
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
I think it depends on how you are asked for personal information, my SA knows quite a lot about me, my wife and my family but that is because I have dropped in so many times and just talked to them, I equally know a bit about their personal situations and families simply because it came out in conversations.

Now if my SA had sat me down at the first ever meeting and asked this information I doubt if I would now own a Rolex as I would not have replied to the questions but left the store.

I know one thing, I certainly wouldn’t want to be an AD, they can’t do right for doing wrong.

I didn’t have a problem with a bio update,,,
Can see why others may feel it’s invasive but that’s how it is for the moment,,,,
SA knew a lot anyway and I after I banged on about our love of history and especially the Tudors I gave too much info ,,
we both saw the funny side of that,,,
After my initial request,we spend most of the time talking about things that were totally unrelated to watches,,,
How the SAs car is running ,,,future cars etc but not very much about watches apart from 25 (at that time ) requests he’s had for an OP 41mm Turquoise but that was about it,,
Got the feeling the SAs are tired of repeating “ sorry,no Daytona’s,GMTs or Subs currently available “ ex amount of times ,every day of the week,,,,
My empathy is with the SAs and Managers who have to enforce these policies,,,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 08:03 AM   #95
Jagsie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN,126660-JC
Quote:
Originally Posted by shammad10 View Post
How did you first timers get your foot in the door?
Blind luck. Late 2017. Was quoted 2 years wait for a SubDate by many ADs, I called a remote AD with no relationship at all, they accepted my request for a call "on the off chance" one came up. 6 weeks later, I'm the proud owner of a 116610LN. That then opened the door to a 126660 JC, and I'm on the list for a Batman and Starbucks.
They do still try their luck with "something for the wife?", but it's not "her thing". So we will see what happens....
Jagsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 08:37 AM   #96
temporarychicken
"TRF" Member

The AD gets in a 6k RRP watch. The grey price is 10k.

Why would they ever sell it for 6k with no additional benefit to them?

That's not how business works lol! As for Rolex 'forcing them to sell watched at RRP to genuine enthusiast biyers?'... Well who wants to put much of the 4k uplift in the bin to do that?
temporarychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 03:50 PM   #97
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura!, View Post
Find another AD.

Doesn’t sound like you’re building that relationship as well as you’d like.
It’s difficult to build any relationship when it’s one way. The majority of relationships with AD’s are in the mind of the customer , most AD’s don’t give a flying FCK
Halifax Daytona UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 04:53 PM   #98
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Daytona UK View Post
It’s difficult to build any relationship when it’s one way. The majority of relationships with AD’s are in the mind of the customer , most AD’s don’t give a flying FCK

Yep. I couldn’t agree more with your sentiments. My comment you’ve quoted was tongue-in-cheek.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 06:14 PM   #99
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Daytona UK View Post
Of course the relationship is one way, you want what they sell if you don’t engage with them on their terms there is someone who will and then they get what you want.

So the simple truth is work with your AD or spend loads of extra hard earned cash and go grey.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 06:19 PM   #100
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoffel View Post
Every time I hear stories like this about desperados popping in for a chat to “establish a relationship” makes me feel a bit sorry for the sales assistants. They’re having to listen to watchbores all day with little chance of getting a commission out of them. They probably take turns to take it on the chin while the rest go and actually sell watches and jewellery.
Bit harsh - its a 2 way street - yes the SA has to listen to another 'watchbore' but if the stock was there to buy then they could probably retire on the commission as there's so much demand for Rolex at present.

Cant have a go at the customers, i.e 'us' just because the AD has no stock to sell.

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 11:34 PM   #101
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD1975 View Post
I have no doubt that’s a good part of it, they do need to be transparent if that is the reason though.

The experience between WOS Group and my local independent AD was night and day. I expect there are good SAs in Goldsmiths/WOS branches, but I didn’t find them in my local one.
This is true for me also. Goldsmith's were terrible, just wasted my time. Independent AD, completely different. I think WOS Group are too big to provide a good service. Trying to dish out watches all over the country on an industrial scale. Also, I think a good deal of their stuff ends up on the grey market. Their Rolex sales matrix certainly favours flippers at the expense of regular customers. Sadly, they hold a big chunk of the market for a whole variety of watches. I think the future of the independents is more at risk than the WOS group. It would be grim indeed if they were the only choice. The PC World of the luxury watch market.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 12:36 AM   #102
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

SA dont make or make very little commision on PP and Rolex. WoS is just the worst when it comes to building a relationship that's all.
Luke@TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 03:23 AM   #103
S7gpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610ln YM37 wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywoods View Post
But prestons on that list too, they ain’t selling anyone anything to anyone on a list
Preston’s have been fantastic for me, got my dream SD43 this week after nearly a 2 year wait - it does happen 👍
S7gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 04:09 AM   #104
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke@TRF View Post
SA dont make or make very little commision on PP and Rolex.
You don't tend to get a commission on something that sells itself. That's not selling. Sell something that is difficult to sell and you're in proper sales territory.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 04:14 AM   #105
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
You don't tend to get a commission on something that sells itself. That's not selling. Sell something that is difficult to sell and you're in proper sales territory.
One of the better posts I’ve seen this year on this forum.

Every conversation I have in a professional capacity, starts with a no. Naturally, most end with a yes.

The landscape of a retail environment is a world apart, let alone, and I say this with a cringe, ‘selling’, a Rolex watch.
Old 27 October 2021, 04:35 AM   #106
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
As my boss used to say, it's just order taking.
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 04:57 AM   #107
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheets86 View Post
As my boss used to say, it's just order taking.

Your boss speaks truth.
Old 27 October 2021, 05:43 AM   #108
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheets86 View Post
I work for a prestige motor dealer and we now have to carry out checks on customers to make sure that we're satisfied that they aren't going to sell their new vehicle at a premium within 12 months of purchase. If a vehicle does turn up on the market and the manufacturer is not satisfied that we have carried out our due diligence checks thoroughly then they can impose a fine of upto £20,000 per vehicle. It's a load of b******s IMO but maybe Rolex do something similar.
Is it me, or is there a contradiction between ADs wanting to sell only to customers who will not flip, and wanting to sell to customers who buy lots?

Who buys lots of Rolex watches, unless they are being sold on
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 07:21 AM   #109
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
Is it me, or is there a contradiction between ADs wanting to sell only to customers who will not flip, and wanting to sell to customers who buy lots?

Who buys lots of Rolex watches, unless they are being sold on
Exactly. No AD can know whether a buyer will or won't flip, but they do know who buys the most watches from them. Goldsmiths told me explicitly that the people who buy the most from them will be put at the head of the queue and if those watches get flipped, so be it.

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 08:06 AM   #110
365DAS
"TRF" Member

Recently I believe a lot of Goldsmiths store are using Rolex watches to their advantage to sell other products…this in my opinion then means they don’t really care if their being sold to flippers!

As I’ve stated in my previous response, it’s a sad state of affairs coz they (not all by the way!) now don’t care about selling to the right people, but more about selling to ones that help them achieve their targets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
365DAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 08:29 AM   #111
Lafaiete
"TRF" Member

Has anyone purchased an in demand Rolex from Goldsmiths or WoS lately.

Whenever I speak to the sales assistants, I keep getting told that they are getting hardly any stock from Rolex.
Lafaiete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 09:00 AM   #112
johnwigan
Banned

Watches of Switzerland Group are terrible but more profitable than ever. Alas.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 09:06 AM   #113
Combine man
"TRF" Member

Tell the AD to poke it,and buy another make! These people have no right to treat customers like they do,and they get away with it because people are daft enough to comply with them, M&W wouldn't put me on the waiting list for two pieces last year,even with a purchase history from the same shop!
Told them to do one and spent my money elsewhere,Martins in Cheltenham, good honest family firm worth the 6 hour round trip.
As other people have written if you want to buy now go to a dealer.Good luck.
Combine man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 09:12 AM   #114
GrantD
"TRF" Member

Have 4 at retail from WOS brought my first SD from them in 2001

* edited to say the first was 15% discount
GrantD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 09:38 AM   #115
S7gpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610ln YM37 wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafaiete View Post

Whenever I speak to the sales assistants, I keep getting told that they are getting hardly any stock from Rolex.
got a 37mm SS yacht master for the wife there a few weeks ago if that counts ?
S7gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 10:15 AM   #116
ILikeRolex2021
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sub and pepsi in the second half of this year from the WOS group.
ILikeRolex2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 11:23 AM   #117
Lafaiete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRolex2021 View Post
Sub and pepsi in the second half of this year from the WOS group.
Really! Do you have a big purchase history?
Old 20 December 2021, 11:26 AM   #118
Lafaiete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S7gpt View Post
got a 37mm SS yacht master for the wife there a few weeks ago if that counts ?
Yes, I’d say that counts. The impression I get is that there is nothing available other than the odd PM lady Datejust.

Out of interest, did you get the Yacht Master as a walk in or did you have to put your name down?
Old 20 December 2021, 05:26 PM   #119
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

That must be because you have low or no purchase history.
Trust me, they get supply, but it goes to preferred clients mostly.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 06:06 PM   #120
teager
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM233,IwcBP,D-blu
You’ve hit the nail right on the head, this Is so so true. I’ll never step into anyone of their stores ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwigan View Post
Goldsmiths are awful. They supply Rolexes flippers. Their Rolex sales matrix makes that clear. The sales assistant did you a favour by telling you to stop wasting your time. Just read the online reviews and you will see how awful Goldsmiths are. My experience with them was similar to yours. They wasted my time until a sales assistant was candid with me, and told me they had no intention of selling me a Rolex because I will not buy stuff I don't want.

Find a non Watches of Switzerland group AD and shop with them. Your experience will be vastly better. At the moment WOS supplies the flippers, they are not interested in regular customers. Just use Goldsmiths for trying on display models to decide what you want. Then order with an independent AD. When supplies return to normal Goldsmiths maybe ok, but read the online reviews, I would not trust them to repair a watch or do anything for me. They offer PC World level customer service to customers spending a lot of money, - no thanks. I think I will judge them on how they treat me when supplies are limited, - and it is not good.

Go with an independent, you will fare much better. Don't reward crap customer service. Goldsmiths will never get one penny from me. WOS are a blight on the UK watch market. Unfortunately, they have a big market share, but I would go out of my way to avoid them.

I also spoke to a manager who confirmed the above. At present they have far more potential customers than Rolexes to sell, so they really don't care. Shop with an independent AD. Your experience and the service you receive will be vastly better. Goldsmiths are the PC World of the luxury watch market, although at present you will receive better service buying a £10 USB cable at PC World, than spending £10,000 on a Rolex. It is a crazy market at the moment. But good luck with your endeavours. Things will return to normal, eventually.
teager is offline   Reply With Quote