The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 December 2021, 07:32 AM   #421
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
I have four Rolexes two Tudors and two Omegas . I think they all are quality pieces and I really don’t care what’s better than the other , I like them all equally. BTW the two most accurate are my Omega Mark ii reissue and Tudor Pelagos .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 09:38 AM   #422
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIWALKER View Post
Tudor >>> Omega.

I have systematically had reliability issues with ALL of my Omega. It's finish.
In addition, in terms of audacity, technique, quality of after-sales service and value for money, Tudor wins hands down.

Don't doubt it. But you'll also find the same in these forums for Tudor, Rolex and most other brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 10:36 AM   #423
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Omega makes fine watches. Great quality and great movements. However, they are just too clunky. One big negative for me is when a watch could be more refined and less chunky, but it's not. I think that's a lot of what we pay for.

EDIT: just realized we're talking about Tudor and Omega...Tudor are also too clunky.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 10:40 AM   #424
tedo
"TRF" Member

Omega superior, and also most accurate in all of my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 89F419F4-1BDC-442C-A812-D89AA8DC6B67.jpeg (85.1 KB, 354 views)
Old 5 December 2021, 12:11 PM   #425
lacroix
"TRF" Member

Omega is above both Tudor and Rolex but the latter has the hype, the demand and last but not least the better resale value…
lacroix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 12:44 PM   #426
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I wish I knew enough about their watch movements to know. Omega seems to have sufficient techno-babble to indicate a level of sophistication far in excess of Rolex and Tudor. But how are they day to day? Rolex certainly excels in creating durable and accurate movements with a minimum of excess or unnecessary parts. They run forever.

What distinguishes Rolex for me is their design aesthetic.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 12:47 PM   #427
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacroix View Post
Omega is above both Tudor and Rolex but the latter has the hype, the demand and last but not least the better resale value…

Sure thing, bud.
Old 5 December 2021, 01:01 PM   #428
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Omega makes fine watches. Great quality and great movements. However, they are just too clunky. One big negative for me is when a watch could be more refined and less chunky, but it's not. I think that's a lot of what we pay for.

EDIT: just realized we're talking about Tudor and Omega...Tudor are also too clunky.
If by clunky you mean the #$!* wart on the SeaMaster at 10 o’clock, I agree. I’d have at least of a couple of SM’s except for that!
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 05:14 PM   #429
dwelling seas
"TRF" Member

i have two flightmaster, a 910 and a 911, 1971 and 1976

i was tempted to buy a tudor, they look good, and i am sure they are good watches, but i thought, this is like buying a poor man whatever,...so i prefer to wait until i was able to buy a rlx

only my 02
dwelling seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 05:54 PM   #430
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacroix View Post
Tend to agree
Old 5 December 2021, 07:14 PM   #431
liuk3
"TRF" Member

I actually do love my Tudor 79220N as much as my other Rolexes.
Old 5 December 2021, 07:23 PM   #432
Xerxes77
Banned

No
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 08:25 PM   #433
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Omega and Rolex are on the same level, IMO. Tudor behind them but so is their pricing. No better value in the market than a Tudor watch.
Had Omegas and Rolexes for years, only ever had send one watch back under warranty, it was a Rolex GMT!
Love the legibility and lume on my planet ocean, as well as the movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 10:41 PM   #434
fania123
"TRF" Member

Have and love both you can’t go wrong either way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A947CACD-7FD2-409F-B47F-D9EA958C396D.jpeg (261.1 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpeg 35006490-C325-427D-BABC-CD81482D4A04.jpeg (206.9 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpeg E23E0580-E451-49FF-9B43-E27AE52B5615.jpeg (127.3 KB, 258 views)
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 02:43 AM   #435
TheVision
"TRF" Member

It's not even a comparison. Omega is Omega..there's no "2nd tier to keep costs low and price down for the average customer".

Tudor, as a brand, as created by Rolex as a cheaper alternative for buyers. This is a fact. It's COSC movement only. Every Tudor design is a copycat of Rolex (the cheap mans Rolex). Tudor GMT, day/date, Black Ray are all 'borrowed' design from Rolex models.

On the other hand, Omega has its own trademark of smp, planet ocean, speedy, aqua terra and all with rich history. Then throw in meta cosc, ceremic bezel, ceremic dials, liquid metal tech, HIGHLY DECORATED MOVEMENTS, it actually rivals Rolex in more than one way.

I work in the medical industry and I see plethora of Tag/Rolex/Omega daily but I've yet to see one Tudor in real life.

End of topic :)
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 03:16 AM   #436
Omarion07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
It's not even a comparison. Omega is Omega..there's no "2nd tier to keep costs low and price down for the average customer".

Tudor, as a brand, as created by Rolex as a cheaper alternative for buyers. This is a fact. It's COSC movement only. Every Tudor design is a copycat of Rolex (the cheap mans Rolex). Tudor GMT, day/date, Black Ray are all 'borrowed' design from Rolex models.

On the other hand, Omega has its own trademark of smp, planet ocean, speedy, aqua terra and all with rich history. Then throw in meta cosc, ceremic bezel, ceremic dials, liquid metal tech, HIGHLY DECORATED MOVEMENTS, it actually rivals Rolex in more than one way.

I work in the medical industry and I see plethora of Tag/Rolex/Omega daily but I've yet to see one Tudor in real life.

End of topic :)

Oh boy.. there’s so much misinformation in this. Omega is owned by the Swatch group and they decide in which “tier” they place Omega. You should look at Omega as part of the swatch group as a whole. And yes there’s “a 2nd tier to keep costs low and price down for the average customer” and it’s called Longines. Tudor was created as a more affordable alternative to Rolex some 50-60 years ago but this is not the case anymore. In the recent years Tudor tried to distinguish itself from Rolex as much as possible while retaining similar DNA.
The Tudor in-house movements are COSC certified but once they’re cased up they run at -2/+4 SPD as opposed to -4/+6 COSC certification only. And FYI Tudor started doing Metas Certification mid of this year with the BB ceramic with a display case back and the more recent “only watch” BB GMT one.

So no Tudor is defo not a “poor man’s Rolex” anymore.

Omarion07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 03:19 AM   #437
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I really don't care what the history of the Tudor and Omega brands are. I find that Tudor is making much more attractive watches these days than Omega, imho.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 03:20 AM   #438
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Lmao "I work in the medical industry.... End of Topic"... this thread is comedic gold.

Sent and laughing while wearing my amazing BB58.
Old 6 December 2021, 03:23 AM   #439
MJZRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotgolf52 View Post
Omega might be slightly below Rolex but they are way above Tudor IMO.
I totally agree.
MJZRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 03:46 AM   #440
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Tudor on same level as omega?

Before we start comparing Tudor to Omega, maybe we should be a little more realistic.

Tudor vs Tag Heuer? I’d go with Tudor, but I’d say it’s close.

Tudor vs Oris? I’d probably go with Tudor.

Tudor vs Longines? Maybe Tudor, but Longines might have more models I’d actually want to wear.

Tudor vs Nomos? I’d definitely go with Nomos.

Tudor vs Breitling? Breitling, no doubt.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 03:49 AM   #441
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Omega is second to Rolex in terms of popularity and recognition. Both brands make extremely good looking high quality watches with rich history however both have their pros and cons.

Tudor on the other hand, is a small brand that is in most parts of the world remains unknow, they entered the spotlight in recent years mainly due to Rolex scarcity, they offer some good watches especially BB line however they are no where near Omega in terms of recognition, history, innovation, and quality.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 04:29 AM   #442
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Before we start comparing Tudor to Omega, maybe we should be a little more realistic.

Tudor vs Tag Heuer? I’d go with Tudor, but I’d say it’s close.

Tudor vs Oris? I’d probably go with Tudor.

Tudor vs Longines? Maybe Tudor, but Longines might have more models I’d actually want to wear.

Tudor vs Nomos? I’d definitely go with Nomos.

Tudor vs Breitling? Breitling, no doubt.

That makes a lot of sense...
Old 6 December 2021, 04:58 AM   #443
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Omega was the first to produce a METAS master chronometer (in 2015) and have since added many watches with this certification. Surprisingly, Tudor, not Rolex, were the second to achieve this but their offerings are much more limited - just the Black Bay ceramic as far as I understand.

But to the overall question, I don't think Tudor's "portfolio of work" really stands in comparison to Omega. Omega as a company is doing some very noteworthy work from the adoption of the co-axial escapement, to the numerous Olympic timing technologies, to the interesting material development such as bronze gold cases and significantly hardened aluminum bezel inserts.

The real distinction for me, though, is I can't ever get to the point of pulling the trigger on any Tudor model because it always feels like I'm settling rather than getting the Rolex equivalent (GMT/Sub/DayDate/etc). Whereas Omega produces models that are wholly unique. Whether or not one likes them is up to personal preference, but there is no claiming that a Speedmaster or Seamaster are an homage version of some other brand's watches. Tudor and Rolex will always have a Toyota and Lexus relationship. That's not a slam on Tudor, that's just a fact from Tudor's mission statement on day 1 from Hans himself.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 05:06 AM   #444
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Tudor on same level as omega?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Omega was the first to produce a METAS master chronometer (in 2015) and have since added many watches with this certification. Surprisingly, Tudor, not Rolex, were the second to achieve this but their offerings are much more limited - just the Black Bay ceramic as far as I understand.

But to the overall question, I don't think Tudor's "portfolio of work" really stands in comparison to Omega. Omega as a company is doing some very noteworthy work from the adoption of the co-axial escapement, to the numerous Olympic timing technologies, to the interesting material development such as bronze gold cases and significantly hardened aluminum bezel inserts.

The real distinction for me, though, is I can't ever get to the point of pulling the trigger on any Tudor model because it always feels like I'm settling rather than getting the Rolex equivalent (GMT/Sub/DayDate/etc). Whereas Omega produces models that are wholly unique. Whether or not one likes them is up to personal preference, but there is no claiming that a Speedmaster or Seamaster are an homage version of some other brand's watches. Tudor and Rolex will always have a Toyota and Lexus relationship. That's not a slam on Tudor, that's just a fact from Tudor's mission statement on day 1 from Hans himself.

Yes, comparing Tudor to Omega is absolutely ridiculous.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 05:26 AM   #445
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Plenty of experience with both brands. My opinion is that on basically any metric that makes one watch "better" than another objectively, Omega has the edge. Movement (finish, technology, etc), case, dial, bracelet, etc. Omega has consistently had the edge. It's not a huge gulf by any means, but it's there.

Interestingly, Swatch Group has an internal ranking of their brands. There's quite a wide gap imo between Omega and the brands in the below tier (Longines, Rado). Tudor (if it was in Swatch Group) would slot in really nicely in between Omega and Longines. That's where I see the Tudor brand.
the dark knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 05:31 AM   #446
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Really wish I was a fan of Omega. Sadly there isn't a single watch in their entire product line, other than the Speedmaster, which even remotely gains my interest... otherwise I would happily log on to their website, add to cart, apply discount code "FALLSAVINGS20", and have the factory send me the watch straight to consumer.

Maybe when Omega's design ethos improves... I'm not holding my breath. I really can't understand who thought it was a good idea to place a date wheel on a subdial register for the new AT small seconds. The helium wart is never going away and their premium diver still has that 90's inspired, untapered, uncomfortable, bulky, hideous bracelet.

The only watches I ever regret buying were Omega and I will never make that mistake again.

PS: My Tudor movement in the BB58 is far more accurate than either of my prior Omegas were (Diver 300m ceramic, and AT latest generation 8800 movement). The Tudor kept better time, has a longer power reserve, more silent on wrist, nicer crown action, and similar degree of antimagnetism. So much for the movement arguments!
Old 6 December 2021, 06:46 AM   #447
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Really wish I was a fan of Omega. Sadly there isn't a single watch in their entire product line, other than the Speedmaster, which even remotely gains my interest... otherwise I would happily log on to their website, add to cart, apply discount code "FALLSAVINGS20", and have the factory send me the watch straight to consumer.

Maybe when Omega's design ethos improves... I'm not holding my breath. I really can't understand who thought it was a good idea to place a date wheel on a subdial register for the new AT small seconds. The helium wart is never going away and their premium diver still has that 90's inspired, untapered, uncomfortable, bulky, hideous bracelet.

The only watches I ever regret buying were Omega and I will never make that mistake again.

PS: My Tudor movement in the BB58 is far more accurate than either of my prior Omegas were (Diver 300m ceramic, and AT latest generation 8800 movement). The Tudor kept better time, has a longer power reserve, more silent on wrist, nicer crown action, and similar degree of antimagnetism. So much for the movement arguments!
If you are happy with your BB58 then that is great and I'm happy for you, but bashing Omega won't change facts or the general perception of the brand, is Omega perfect hell no but neither is Rolex or any other watch, however, they are making excellent time pieces and the level of progression in the past 15 years is unprecedented, the brand literally upscaled it self.

Tudor is a great and fun brand but it was over hyped in the last few years and some thought it is going to follow Rolex foot steps but that won't happen...

I hope you continue enjoying your Tudor after all the BB58 is a nice homage to the iconic Sub ND.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 07:11 AM   #448
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
Own several of each. Not even close. In fact IMO Omega are better than Rolex. Have some of this as well to compare.
You’re very lucky to feel that way. Means you can buy just about whatever new Omega watch you like, whenever you like.

Me? I’m quite happy to wait patiently for my next Rolex.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 07:11 AM   #449
Mwilsey103
Banned

Watch: DJ41/BB58
I like ‘em all. Every brand has strengths and weaknesses. Yes, even the almighty Rolex has weaknesses. Wear what you like but give them all a chance. You may be surprised by what others say is an inferior brand as compared to another.
Mwilsey103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 10:47 AM   #450
ERH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Which one touches your soul. Both Tudor and Omega are fine timepieces. And it's a beach watch. I wear a Nomos Ahoi at the beach. You can't go wrong, so many good timepieces, buy the one that tickles your fancy.
ERH is offline   Reply With Quote