The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 October 2020, 03:52 AM   #1
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Anyone ever get “the call” and not be able to afford it?

I know this forum is filled with members all over the income and wealth spectrum. Has anyone gotten “the call” at a financially inconvenient time and had to turn down the watch? If so, what did you turn down? Could have been because an unexpected expense came up or you decided to buy something else, watch or not, and therefore didn’t have the funds available.

Not asking about those that turned watches down because they didn’t want them.

Just curious.
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 03:56 AM   #2
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
During lockdown one of the major U.K. AD’s were calling people on their lists with quite a bit of stock and apparently a few were turning it down. Financial uncertainty or worries I guess.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 03:59 AM   #3
ThatSubGuy
Banned

Weird question mate.
ThatSubGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:03 AM   #4
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

I turn down watches I don't want. weird question indeed.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:04 AM   #5
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSubGuy View Post
Weird question mate.
I don’t think it’s that weird. I just see so many “surprise incomings” that I had to wonder. How many got a “surprise call” and maybe had something else come up that tied their hands financially.
Old 26 October 2020, 04:07 AM   #6
PRabbit
"TRF" Member

Twice actually.

This one hurt the most... Back in July of this year I did. Had just purchased a DJ41 on a Saturday. By Tuesday, I also was craving something else so I went in to another AD. I was put on the waiting list for a Sub, but I knew what that meant, especially as I had no purchase history... So I immediately went to another AD right after I left the Rolex AD and that same Tuesday evening I purchased an Omega SeaMaster and a Breitling. That VERY NEXT day, Wednesday, I got a text from the AD saying they had a 116610LN for me.... Needless to say, I had blown my watch fund and turned it down. Only to lose $3k by purchasing a 116610LN just a couple weeks ago through gray market.

Towards the beginning of 2020, I was put on the list for Rhodium dial Yachtmaster at an entirely different AD from the ones mentioned earlier. It took maybe two months before she texted me she had one for me. But in the meantime I purchased a Grand Seiko diver that used up my watch fund for the time being. So turned that one down too. But that one didn’t hurt much as I preferred the GS anyways.
PRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:09 AM   #7
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I don’t go asking for watches if I don’t have money to pay for it in full. If the money is already designated for something, it doesn’t get used for anything else.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:12 AM   #8
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Agree, not wierd at all. Didn’t happen to me yet, I was just ruminating on it.

For example I do have my name down for several watches at my AD and there were times when “the call” might have put me in a tight spot. It’s not everyday or any day that I could easily afford a TT or PM that I’ve subscribed for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:15 AM   #9
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
I was offered a blue dial Milgauss not long ago but wasn't really able to buy it at the time. I'd like one for sure but at the moment I've only got funds for 1 watch. Leaning towards a 2021 Grand Seiko model or potentially an Omega if they completely update their Aqua Terra and Globemaster lineup. Also looking at a discounted Vacheron Overseas Dual Time. :D
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:17 AM   #10
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
I just wish AD would call me for what I really want! Still waiting!!
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:18 AM   #11
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I don’t go asking for watches if I don’t have money to pay for it in full. If the money is already designated for something, it doesn’t get used for anything else.
I think you’re missing the point.

But also sounds like you’re in a financial situation where it doesn’t matter. Cheers to you.
Old 26 October 2020, 04:20 AM   #12
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRabbit View Post
Twice actually.

This one hurt the most... Back in July of this year I did. Had just purchased a DJ41 on a Saturday. By Tuesday, I also was craving something else so I went in to another AD. I was put on the waiting list for a Sub, but I knew what that meant, especially as I had no purchase history... So I immediately went to another AD right after I left the Rolex AD and that same Tuesday evening I purchased an Omega SeaMaster and a Breitling. That VERY NEXT day, Wednesday, I got a text from the AD saying they had a 116610LN for me.... Needless to say, I had blown my watch fund and turned it down. Only to lose $3k by purchasing a 116610LN just a couple weeks ago through gray market.

Towards the beginning of 2020, I was put on the list for Rhodium dial Yachtmaster at an entirely different AD from the ones mentioned earlier. It took maybe two months before she texted me she had one for me. But in the meantime I purchased a Grand Seiko diver that used up my watch fund for the time being. So turned that one down too. But that one didn’t hurt much as I preferred the GS anyways.
Sounds like you need to learn a bit of patience - you didn’t used to open your presents before Christmas and Birthdays by any chance did you?
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:25 AM   #13
PRabbit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post
Sounds like you need to learn a bit of patience - you didn’t used to open your presents before Christmas and Birthdays by any chance did you?
Hahaha I swear I didn’t. I suppose I probably would have if I wasn’t stopped by my parents or something.

To be fair, I had only heard horror stories of sub waitlists especially with no purchase history. How was I honestly to know they would have it the very next day for me? The plan actually always was to purchase the Omega that evening. It’s not as though I spontaneously purchased the Omega. I only put myself on the sub waitlist for the hell of it as I supposed if they would call me 6 months later that would be cool.

The yachtmaster situation was a little different in that I wanted the GS diver more, and then I just forgot to tell them I didn’t want a yacht master anymore.
Old 26 October 2020, 04:30 AM   #14
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

I don’t expect you to get the response you are looking for on TRF.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:33 AM   #15
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Quote:
Hahaha I swear I didn’t. I suppose I probably would have if I wasn’t stopped by my parents or something.

To be fair, I had only heard horror stories of sub waitlists especially with no purchase history. How was I honestly to know they would have it the very next day for me? The plan actually always was to purchase the Omega that evening. It’s not as though I spontaneously purchased the Omega. I only put myself on the sub waitlist for the hell of it as I supposed if they would call me 6 months later that would be cool.

The yachtmaster situation was a little different in that I wanted the GS diver more, and then I just forgot to tell them I didn’t want a yacht master anymore.
Sounds like u have have quite a diverse collection there mate!
What have u got?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:35 AM   #16
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreelex View Post
I turn down watches I don't want. weird question indeed.
That’s not what he asked

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:44 AM   #17
AD337
"TRF" Member

If I found myself in that situation and really wanted it bad enough then I would go the finance route. I’ve always paid for my watches with cash in full. However, I could see it suddenly being alittle tighter for me if was so blessed and lucky to get the call for say all 4 I’m currently waiting for all at once .. Anyway, I’m happy to say I haven’t personally
Dealt with this dilemma. But yeah man not a crazy question at all I know what you meant by it, and yes very wide range of members here. From super wealthy all the way down to it being a stretch to afford an OP for example !
AD337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:45 AM   #18
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I experienced time ago a fraud on my bank account. So I would have to turn down "the call". Unfortunately this happens... For me it would have been/be a Sub-date.
Old 26 October 2020, 04:45 AM   #19
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
99% of people on this forum are going to have too much pride to admit to your request....
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:45 AM   #20
Thanos
"TRF" Member

If I tell the AD I want a watch & I get the call for the watch. I purchase the watch.

If at any point I change my mind and do not want the watch or do not have the $$ as per say. I let the AD know before wasting their time.

Heres an idea. Once you ask the AD for a watch and they follow through. Buy the watch. If you dont.....your part of the 'problem'
Thanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:45 AM   #21
somthingnew
"TRF" Member

I think this is a fair question. With waits of a month to who knows when (over years), many things can change. For some, this is a goal and they are stretching to just achieve it. They may have the money when they first go to the AD but if they are waiting years, life gets in a way (sometimes even great things like a new child) that makes you divert the funds. I can imagine this happening.

To specifically answer, I have been lucky and this hasn't happened to me. But then again, I don't have the patience to wait years.
somthingnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:51 AM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Can’t say that’s happened to me but I have a short list of pieces I want anyways. I could def see it happening if you’re newer to collecting and nothing wrong at all with passing if it means sleeping well at night.
Old 26 October 2020, 05:00 AM   #23
PRabbit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Heres an idea. Once you ask the AD for a watch and they follow through. Buy the watch. If you dont.....your part of the 'problem'
This part really makes no sense, at least concerning Rolex models that have a list. There is no ‘problem.’ They literally call the very next person and it’s sold within 1 minute of me saying no. The AD I turned down I still have a good relationship with. They don’t give two craps if someone says no.

The situation I agree with you on is with the non-Rolex ADs. People will ask the AD to pull a favor and get a certain model in of, let’s just say a Breitling, and then don’t buy it. Then that model ends up sitting there for a while unsold. So I 100% agree with you in those situations. But they really don’t give a crap about the people turning down the Rolex models that have a list.
Old 26 October 2020, 05:05 AM   #24
JamieBLNR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gmt-master-ii
I don't think it's a silly question. Given the length of time we can now wait for our desired watch, your circumstances or indeed watch slush fund may have emptied between then and now.

If you could afford the watch when you put your name down; and nothing significant has happened since then and the call, and your only issue is the liquid capital, credit is cheap enough to get you out of the whole. Certainly cheaper than passing it up, only to buy it at grey prices a few months later.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
JamieBLNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:09 AM   #25
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
That’s not what he asked
Lol sorry I was being facetious. It's still a no for me
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:11 AM   #26
PRabbit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooey View Post
Sounds like u have have quite a diverse collection there mate!
What have u got?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Thanks. It’s diverse in the sense it’s not all Rolex. But relative to a lot of people here who have large collections of big power hitters, mine doesn’t even compare.

I don’t have any Haute Horology brands so it’s not diverse in grand scheme of things. But Im on the side of liking other mid-level brands just as much as Rolex, so I like variety. But in the last 6 months I’ve had:

Omega: SMP 300 diver, OG hesalite Speedy Moonwatch, and 8900 Aqua Terra
Rolex: 126300 DJ41, 116610LN sub date, and 126333 TT DJ41
Grand Seiko: SBGA229, and SBGR307
Breitling: SO44, and Avi-8
A bunch of miscellaneous like Laco, Stowa, etc

I’ve actually consolidated the entire collection in last couple months as I’ve learned I don’t like having a collection quite so much. I’ve learned I’m just a watch wearer and I can enjoy other models without having to purchase them. Also, considering I’m only towards the end of my 20s, I want to shift to only slowing adding a new piece here and there every once in a while for special occasions rather than buying everything I like at once. So of all the above I only have the 3 Rolex and 1 GS and 2 of those 4 are currently on sale. And possibly 3. I might end up with just the TT DJ41 as my one sole everyday watch. Will see
Old 26 October 2020, 05:13 AM   #27
jakemiller69
"TRF" Member

I think a lot of people will experience what you’re asking. But, I do agree if you ask your AD for something and you have a good relationship, then they’ll take you at your word and go to work for you on that piece. I definitely see both sides especially with absurd wait times.
jakemiller69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:14 AM   #28
jakemiller69
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This part really makes no sense, at least concerning Rolex models that have a list. There is no ‘problem.’ They literally call the very next person and it’s sold within 1 minute of me saying no. The AD I turned down I still have a good relationship with. They don’t give two craps if someone says no.

The situation I agree with you on is with the non-Rolex ADs. People will ask the AD to pull a favor and get a certain model in of, let’s just say a Breitling, and then don’t buy it. Then that model ends up sitting there for a while unsold. So I 100% agree with you in those situations. But they really don’t give a crap about the people turning down the Rolex models that have a list.
Exactly, some may request a special platinum and then all of a sudden the AD has to sit on that while they normally wouldn’t stock it. It’s their business and happens, but sucks for sure.
jakemiller69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:15 AM   #29
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

I think a lot of people on this forum need to lighten up and be more humble.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:18 AM   #30
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
I got the call for a black stainless Skydweller and turned it down without seeing it because I have a GMT and the Skydweller is just too flashy for my taste. I had put my name on the list the day it was released at Basel and got the call 6 months later.

I once got the call for a white OP39 and turned it down as I was on the waitlist for a white 5711 Nautilus. The nautilus never appeared and I regret not getting the white OP now.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote