The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 October 2020, 05:19 AM   #31
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
I was just thinking about what I would do if my AD calls about a blue BB 58. Technically, I have the money to buy it but it’s not a cheap watch and the money can better be spent elsewhere. I suppose I could buy and resell but I don’t have a strong desire to do that.

Long story short, $5k isn’t “F it” money for me yet.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:21 AM   #32
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieBLNR View Post
I don't think it's a silly question. Given the length of time we can now wait for our desired watch, your circumstances or indeed watch slush fund may have emptied between then and now.

If you could afford the watch when you put your name down; and nothing significant has happened since then and the call, and your only issue is the liquid capital, credit is cheap enough to get you out of the whole. Certainly cheaper than passing it up, only to buy it at grey prices a few months later.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I’m not very big on credit and have just recently really started to be keen to the idea. I’ve only bought one watch and bought it grey with my debit card. I’ve been to my local AD quite a few times and always get a snubbed nose so all subsequent purchases will be grey as well unless I find an AD that has some customer service skills.

That being said, I’ve not experienced your problem but could certainly see it happening with most any of us. Imagine how much money any of us can lose in the market any given day, add unforeseen expenses and the wealthiest of us better hope we’re sitting on piles of cash. If you’re in a place where you think you can pay the credit off within a few months to a year and get great rates then I’d probably use credit to purchase a watch I was lucky enough to be allocated. It can only help your credit profile if you pay it off quickly. Don’t forget to add the savings on buying it with credit when allocated from an AD instead of paying a premium a few months down the road because now you’re financially able to. Cost of credit (some cards are offering 0% for 6-12 months) vs cost of going grey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:23 AM   #33
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpee View Post
I was just thinking about what I would do if my AD calls about a blue BB 58. Technically, I have the money to buy it but it’s not a cheap watch and the money can better be spent elsewhere. I suppose I could buy and resell but I don’t have a strong desire to do that.

Long story short, $5k isn’t “F it” money for me yet.
I don't get it. Do you have any desire to, uh, own the watch?

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:25 AM   #34
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwai View Post

Cheers
Marc
I did but my wife got me an Oris Diver 65 so I don’t need another dive watch. If I get a call, I’ll probably just turn it down.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:27 AM   #35
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwai View Post

Cheers
Marc
Dude, what’s your problem? He just said 5k isn’t F it money right now. This is somebody being truthful and humble with their post and you want to act all superior to them?
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:27 AM   #36
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
I think a lot of people on this forum need to lighten up and be more humble.
Nothing better than a slice of humble pie.

Who wants the first bite? (Not directed toward you, HideMyWalletPlease)
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:29 AM   #37
HJZS2K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I’m not very big on credit and have just recently really started to be keen to the idea. I’ve only bought one watch and bought it grey with my debit card. I’ve been to my local AD quite a few times and always get a snubbed nose so all subsequent purchases will be grey as well unless I find an AD that has some customer service skills.

That being said, I’ve not experienced your problem but could certainly see it happening with most any of us. Imagine how much money any of us can lose in the market any given day, add unforeseen expenses and the wealthiest of us better hope we’re sitting on piles of cash. If you’re in a place where you think you can pay the credit off within a few months to a year and get great rates then I’d probably use credit to purchase a watch I was lucky enough to be allocated. It can only help your credit profile if you pay it off quickly. Don’t forget to add the savings on buying it with credit when allocated from an AD instead of paying a premium a few months down the road because now you’re financially able to. Cost of credit (some cards are offering 0% for 6-12 months) vs cost of going grey.

Definitely have done credit route when I can get points and not being charged interest. I mean. Why not.

To answer the original question, I've turned down an Explorer and a SD43 this year. But picked up the latter a couple of months ago. I didn't want to be cavalier about money at the onset of the pandemic.
HJZS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:30 AM   #38
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
Nothing better than a slice of humble pie.

Who wants the first bite? (Not directed toward you, HideMyWalletPlease)
No worries. There’s always somebody that has more. I just don’t think it’s cool to chastise people who may not have unlimited disposable income.
Old 26 October 2020, 05:32 AM   #39
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
I think you’re missing the point.

But also sounds like you’re in a financial situation where it doesn’t matter. Cheers to you.
One shouldn't be ready to purchase such a luxury item if one small set back is going to close that opportunity. I do see it as a weird question as well.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:33 AM   #40
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
One shouldn't be ready to purchase such a luxury item if one small set back is going to close that opportunity. I do see it as a weird question as well.

This is exactly the type of high horse douche baggery I’m speaking of.
Old 26 October 2020, 05:34 AM   #41
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post

Define one small setback.

Again, sounds like you’re in a financially good place. Good for you. Hope you don’t take that for granted.
Old 26 October 2020, 05:35 AM   #42
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I've been able to buy but had decided not to as I didn't want to spend the money. As simple as that. That's what I did with the CHNR. I decided I really didn't want it that much.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:36 AM   #43
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Define one small setback.

Again, sounds like you’re in a financially good place. Good for you. Hope you don’t take that for granted.
Exactly.
Old 26 October 2020, 05:37 AM   #44
easterbunny
"TRF" Member

This week. Going to hold out until I save enough for a different piece and buying it would have tapped me out.
easterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:46 AM   #45
Seakin23
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Sending my response via carrier pigeon. It will arrive sometime after November 5th.
Seakin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:48 AM   #46
samuel019
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Well being my AD doesn’t call, yet, I cant say that it has.

However I can totally see someone wanting something for months and months or years then get called at a bad time financially and have to pass. Would such majorly!!!!!

For me personally I keep debt as low as possible so that IF and WHEN I get called if all else fails I’ll grab the best card with the lowest cost to use and swipe away baby.

Listen if one of my guys call and say congrats your Daytona is here I’m gonna get it no matter what. Call me foolish but I’m not gonna miss out.
Old 26 October 2020, 05:51 AM   #47
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I would not get myself on a list if finances were that tight. Would not feel right to me to turn down an offer for something I requested myself.

For every major purchase I only go out if ready to buy right there and than.
Old 26 October 2020, 05:56 AM   #48
samuel019
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Also I don’t think it’s a weird question at all. There’s a lot of members here on TRF dreaming of owning just one Rolex. Was there myself many years ago so to think that every single member here is “ballin” or financially able to buy at a moments notice I think is foolish.

Even the cheapest new Rolex at an AD is what 6-7K? That’s a good bit of money. So yes I can see that if members are being humble it “has” happened more then you think. Probably not too much of late because nobody’s calling lol!!!
Old 26 October 2020, 05:59 AM   #49
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

There have been plenty of instances where I’ve saved up for something (not watches), only to end up having to use that money for an unexpected expense. Watches are bottom of the barrel when it comes to priorities, though. As such, they’re the first thing to go when shit hits the fan. Luckily that’s only happened once.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 06:00 AM   #50
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I would not get myself on a list if finances were that tight. Would not feel right to me to turn down an offer for something I requested myself.

Wow. Another holier than though post. lol.
Old 26 October 2020, 06:06 AM   #51
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post

This thread wouldn’t exist if we could all go out to buy a watch right then and there. But that’s not the case for most people seeking out SS sport models right now. As others have explained, people may be ready at the time they put their names on the “list” but when they finally get the call...who knows what may have happened between that time?
Old 26 October 2020, 06:09 AM   #52
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I was offered a TT SD last spring but it wasn't something I was looking for so I turned it down, it sold to the next guy they called....I guess my point was, I could have spent the money but I always have the feeling maybe this is the one to cause my wife to divorce me...
Old 26 October 2020, 06:11 AM   #53
bswanson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky Dweller 326935
So many people get weird about questions regarding money because society has trained us it's "not polite".

I personally think if it was a bit more of an open topic, the general population would have a much better handling and grasp of financial information which is a net benefit for everyone.
bswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 06:12 AM   #54
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Does this qualify?

I am due to pick up a Speedmaster Snoopy early in 2021 but am going to pull the deposit and give the watch a miss, simply because I am in the process of moving house so funds for watch purchases are being moved elsewhere for now.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 06:13 AM   #55
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
This thread wouldn’t exist if we could all go out to buy a watch right then and there. But that’s not the case for most people seeking out SS sport models right now. As others have explained, people may be ready at the time they put their names on the “list” but when they finally get the call...who knows what may have happened between that time?

Exactly, it’s not just flippers that are the reason the grey market thrives! I promise you many people dump their watch first when needed.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 06:14 AM   #56
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswanson View Post
So many people get weird about questions regarding money because society has trained us it's "not polite".

I personally think if it was a bit more of an open topic, the general population would have a much better handling and grasp of financial information which is a net benefit for everyone.
I figured the anonymity of the internet would let people be a little more open. Guess pride exists everywhere (and probably even more so on the internet, go figure).
Old 26 October 2020, 06:15 AM   #57
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

I think people need to show more compassion for others. If you’re a single millionaire your situation is different from an upper middle class person with kids in college etc. If someone says “Do I really put one more watch ahead of this other thing?”, then bravo to them.
Old 26 October 2020, 06:19 AM   #58
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Does this qualify?

I am due to pick up a Speedmaster Snoopy early in 2021 but am going to pull the deposit and give the watch a miss, simply because I am in the process of moving house so funds for watch purchases are being moved elsewhere for now.
Good luck on the move!
Old 26 October 2020, 06:19 AM   #59
365DAS
"TRF" Member

All ADs are different and my one would always ask, “Are you still in the market for XXXXXX?”. This allows me to either say “Hell yes, when can I come and collect” or “Thanks for asking but I’m not for XYZ reason”.

I think the OP’s question regarding finance being the reason to turn down a purchase...I think most people wouldn’t even want to use that as a reason for turning something down

365DAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 06:21 AM   #60
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Does this qualify?

Makes sense. Can’t live inside of the watch.