The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 October 2020, 09:04 PM   #121
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
Dude, what’s your problem? He just said 5k isn’t F it money right now. This is somebody being truthful and humble with their post and you want to act all superior to them?
You didn't get AT ALL what I was getting at, dude. And that's quite a feat on your part I think.
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 01:04 PM   #122
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
Reality check! most people will go for the interest free credit card to purchase a luxury watch not all but most. Nothing wrong with that as long as you can pay it off before the due date.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 07:31 PM   #123
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Money ain’t no thang for some

But yeah, +1, OP question is super valid and some are being ridiculous. You can easily pull down 6 figures for your business, COVID happened and lost your job and have to turn down something you were waiting on to be responsible. How that isn’t a feasible situation is beyond me.
+1

Sometimes you can be on the list for a year or more and a lot can happen in a year! Point in case a friend of mine purchased a 5131 in January and wanted the skeletonized AP also and would have purchased at the same time if it was available. 10 months later he gets the call for it and turned it down because it just didn't feel right to him now. Not that he can't afford it, it was just a change in mentality and watches went way down on the priority list. He wants it but just not the right time at the moment. Being in the Fracking and commercial real estate business there's lots of uncertainty these days and so your mindset can change along with your finances. Making large purchases should be a happy joyous occasion not a stressful occasion and by large purchase I mean relative to one's finances.

Didn't find the question odd at all, life happens....all the time.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 09:17 PM   #124
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

We don't buy luxury goods until we have the money set aside with no tax owing. I have a SS BLRO on order and it's anybody's guess how many months/years it will take to turn up. But the money was ring fenced before I spoke to the AD about it.

We don't do spontaneous big ticket purchases frequently. I bumped into a Sky Dweller this year which I couldn't hand back to the salesman. Had the money not been available instantly I would not have started pushing and pulling things around to make it happen. It's just a watch, not fresh drinking water or oxygen.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 10:26 PM   #125
SteveStroud
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1,
I had to turn down the call earlier in the year from an AD
I got the call from my AD saying they had an Explorer 1 with my name on it but when the call did come through my new employer had just furloughed me and I was very ensure of the future.
So despite having the money ready for the purchase I put my family first and passed.
I know I could have purchased the watch and then flipped it if I had to but I didn't want to cloud my first Rolex purchase and wanted to enjoy every moment guilt free.
Later in the year another AD had customer who turned down their Explorer because of financial uncertainty the AD then called me as I was back at work, this time I could say yes
SteveStroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 10:31 PM   #126
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
First I don’t think this is a dumb question. There’s probably just some of us on the forum who don’t ever want to admit they can’t afford every single watxh in the world!

I’ve had a few unexpected opportunities to buy a hard to get watch when I wasn’t necessarily expecting it. As we all know, it’s hard to pass up these opportunities because it’s not like they come again that easily. What I’ve done in the past is take a hard look at my collection and determine if anything can go. Over the years I’ve let few of some pieces to acquire others that I really miss. And now they’re significantly more to buy back. More recently I’ve gravitated towards not selling a watch to buy another and just adding to the collection. If there’s a watch I really don’t enjoy anymore I don’t have a problem selling it. But I learned my lesson from making that decision based on a new incoming where I’m more likely to make a hasty decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 October 2020, 11:21 PM   #127
vh2k
"TRF" Member

This is an interesting topic.

I haven't turned down a watch I couldn't afford. But, I certainly have turned down watches that I don't really want/need and were above what I wanted to spend. A few weeks ago, I turned down a WG Daytona with Blue dial. That's not a model on my list... and it was offered at list price (no discount). So, it was easy to pass on it.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 12:25 AM   #128
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

I turned down a sub at my AD back in February of this year. Was on the list for a few months. Had no problem affording it, but had just bought a house and with the uncertainty of covid I decided not to proceed. Still kicking my self, cause now I don't want to pay the inflated prices for one gray. Hopefully they'll let me back on the list lol. ;)

Sent from my balloon knot
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 12:27 AM   #129
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
So much cap in this thread LOL

Yes, I'm not rich
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 12:37 AM   #130
sp006
"TRF" Member

I had to turn down a 5968A at the beginning of last year due to terrible timing.

My AD told me it would be 2-3 year commitment after I expressed interest following Baselworld release. I agreed and asked to be put on the list. Well, wouldn't you know...I got the call 7 months later. Unfortunately, I was a week and half out from closing on our home and the thought of explaining this purchase to the wife, after emtoions were already running high on home purchase, was just not worth it to me.

It's partially my fault for confirming my desire to be on the list but it's also important to realize that life still goes on between the time you express interest and the time you get "the call." My AD has continued to be super generous on allocations so no complaints here but damn do I still want that chrono!

sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 12:49 AM   #131
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
Just curious.
This is not to pass judgment, but I do not understand why we can consider buying a luxury item ultimately useless, at several thousand dollars, and that an unforeseen expense, an invoice or a hazard life can screw everything down ?!
For me you have a stable and solid situation before wearing a Rolex, and a salary which represents that this object is in adequacy, and besides that even something unforeseen is assumable, and his family does not need to eat pasta for 6 months because of it.

I don't think you need to be rich to wear one, that's not what I mean, what I want to say: life is about priorities, and now is not the time, set it and come back to it later !

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 01:53 AM   #132
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toproll85 View Post
This is not to pass judgment, but I do not understand why we can consider buying a luxury item ultimately useless, at several thousand dollars, and that an unforeseen expense, an invoice or a hazard life can screw everything down ?!
There is a massive gap in mentality with regard to this in the thread. That much is clearly seen where one side takes offense and goes as far as to blindly vilify the other. It’s a matter of principle. There are simply people sensible enough to look at their balance sheet and determine that they shouldn’t be looking to purchase a watch regardless of waitlist or what not. There are plenty of people who make a modest living but make the most of it by planning expenditures accordingly. Likewise there are those who come by an obscene amount of money but poor spending habits leave them with nothing.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 02:15 AM   #133
brotherlouie
"TRF" Member

i got a call right when Covid was ramping up around March. I had the funds but didnt feel morally comfortable spending that much when everyone around me was facing financial hardships and uncertainty.

I felt there were more priorities than going to the AD and dropping 30k on a watch.

That watch will always be there one way or another. Plus with Covid I dont even have the time to wear watches since I am mainly at home.
brotherlouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 02:31 AM   #134
imsayingthough
"TRF" Member

I have yet to put my name down for interest on a PM for this reason.
imsayingthough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 02:44 AM   #135
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
There is a massive gap in mentality with regard to this in the thread. That much is clearly seen where one side takes offense and goes as far as to blindly vilify the other. It’s a matter of principle. There are simply people sensible enough to look at their balance sheet and determine that they shouldn’t be looking to purchase a watch regardless of waitlist or what not. There are plenty of people who make a modest living but make the most of it by planning expenditures accordingly. Likewise there are those who come by an obscene amount of money but poor spending habits leave them with nothing.
It is not to give a lesson in life management, priorities, finance, that I wrote my words.
Everyone does what they want !
That'll just make me smile who has a 100K car or a Rolex, and is a low-wage worker living in a crappy apartment. But I won't judge.

I'm just saying that by setting his priorities and having less compulsive cravings for expensive luxury gear, he could one day really be able to afford them without appearing !
Of course, we have the right to have fun, or to save money to treat ourselves to something beautiful or to satisfy our passion, but if an unforeseen event calls everything into question it is not yet the right situation...
My vision is that you must do it without it calling anything into question.

My priority was first of all to earn a good living than to have gold's chains around the neck and make it look like !!
Well, each one his life, we have the one we have in the end...

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 02:48 AM   #136
Spectral_Method

No. I set aside money specifically for watches, and don't express interest in the piece until I have the cost+tax saved up. That way if the watch were to magically show up the next day, I would be able to buy it.

For instance I really want a DD40 YG champagne dial with sticks. But I don't have the money saved up for that one. I know that the moment I tell my AD I want that watch, the most I will wait is probably 3 months before I get the call.
Spectral_Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 03:21 AM   #137
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I feel there’s some extreme naivety on this thread.

Let’s say you have a million dollars in the bank. A nice house, car and you own your own business making decent money in let’s say construction. You put an interest in for a piece and get on a wait list. In the unspecified amount of time it takes the AD to call you, you get divorced and the housing market tanks. You have lost half your business, house, and savings. When that AD calls you to let you know your watch is available you say no because it doesn’t seem like a good time financially as you now have to start over again and have less work.

There is nothing wrong with getting on a waitlist for a watch when things are going well. When they’re not and you decline a watch there’s nothing piss poor about your financial decision making other than perhaps requiring a prenup. Life happens to the best of us, just try to make the best decisions possible for you at the time.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 03:21 AM   #138
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I think there are situations where people put their names down for a watch but have no intention of following through with it, and there are the ones where people can't follow through because of changing financial circumstances.

OP is talking about the second scenario, which is totally reasonable.

Given the long wait time of some references, a lot can happen in between. There is no shame in admitting "I can't afford it now because..." It's a smart and responsible thing to do.

Additionally, people handle their money differently and the decision to buy or pass doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with affordability. For example I put my watch fund in the stock market during the record low when the pandemic hit. There is no way I am going to cash out my stocks now for a watch until I make some healthy return with the market recovery. There will always be watches, but there are only a handful of market opportunities like this in history.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 03:21 AM   #139
Beemaboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
This is exactly the type of high horse douche baggery I’m speaking of.
Ha ha ha....I proper LOL’d on reading this!
Beemaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 03:25 AM   #140
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Well, it can and does happen because of long wait times. A desired watch easily purchased when requested may not be doable three years later when the call comes through.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 03:41 AM   #141
Beemaboy
"TRF" Member

In answer to those who have responded with the suggestion that the money should be in place and ringfenced at the time of the request I would hazard a guess that 99% of people do so in good faith.

I’ve only recently put in a request for a Pepsi or Batman (would be my first and probably only Rolex) and have my Rolex fund in place. It is a decent chunk of my overall savings which over time I hope to replenish. However if my roof caved in tomorrow I wouldn’t hesitate to access this fund if needed to rebuild it (cue criticism about my failure to properly maintain my roof supports).

Does that really mean I shouldn’t be in the market for a Pepsi?
Old 28 October 2020, 04:07 AM   #142
S4one
"TRF" Member

I'm sure over 90% of people on this forum would turn down a $1M watch if they received the call. Of course this is relative.

I turned down a batman before but ended up getting back on the list and picking one up from the same dealer within a year. The issue with how watches are sold now is that there is too much uncertainty regarding supply. If I have the funds now, the watch can be available in two weeks or two years. Obviously life changes and priorities change.
S4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 04:15 AM   #143
Beemaboy
"TRF" Member

In answer to the comments about having the money ringfenced before making the request I would expect that 99% of people would do that.

I have recently put in a request for my first (and probably only) Rolex - A Pepsi or Batman. I have the funds in place but it is a reasonable chunk of my overall savings (I will of course look to replenish this overtime but its not going to happen overnight). However if my roof caved in tomorrow, I wouldn't hesitate to access my Rolex fund if required to fix it (cue criticising comments about my failure to maintain my roof supports).

For me this is all part of life and sometimes cash needs to diverted elsewhere based on order of importance. Does this mean I shouldn't be in the market for a Pepsi?

(having to post this for a second time as my first attempt didnt seem to show up. Apologies for the repeat post if it does)
Old 28 October 2020, 04:28 AM   #144
Beemaboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4one View Post
Obviously life changes and priorities change.
Apparently that's not the case for some on here!
Old 28 October 2020, 04:58 AM   #145
Taylorgold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
I know this forum is filled with members all over the income and wealth spectrum. Has anyone gotten “the call” at a financially inconvenient time and had to turn down the watch? If so, what did you turn down? Could have been because an unexpected expense came up or you decided to buy something else, watch or not, and therefore didn’t have the funds available.

Not asking about those that turned watches down because they didn’t want them.

Just curious.

I haven’t experienced it though but if my AD calls when I’m not financially capable, the best option becomes to turn it down or have a payment agreement with him if necessary.
Taylorgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 05:05 AM   #146
eightball76
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520, LV, SD4K
I'd just love the opportunity to get "the call"
eightball76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 05:17 AM   #147
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I've put my name on specialty piece lists before with no money specifically dedicated for those pieces. (even though the money is part of a general pool of play money)

I like to live dangerously.

Have i gotten a call for any of those pieces yet? No.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 04:40 AM   #148
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
+1

Sometimes you can be on the list for a year or more and a lot can happen in a year! Point in case a friend of mine purchased a 5131 in January and wanted the skeletonized AP also and would have purchased at the same time if it was available. 10 months later he gets the call for it and turned it down because it just didn't feel right to him now. Not that he can't afford it, it was just a change in mentality and watches went way down on the priority list. He wants it but just not the right time at the moment. Being in the Fracking and commercial real estate business there's lots of uncertainty these days and so your mindset can change along with your finances. Making large purchases should be a happy joyous occasion not a stressful occasion and by large purchase I mean relative to one's finances.

Didn't find the question odd at all, life happens....all the time.
I agree. In other words your friend "could" afford it but chose not to. This happens more often than people realize. The fact remains a Rolex is one of those luxury items that people "want" instead of "need;" it's an option that's nice to have, but not a necessity in life.
Circumstances that change over time will influence how such optional possessions are prioritized in life. Affordability sometimes has very little to do with this change.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 04:50 AM   #149
sp006
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
I agree. In other words your friend "could" afford it but chose not to. This happens more often than people realize. The fact remains a Rolex is one of those luxury items that people "want" instead of "need;" it's an option that's nice to have, but not a necessity in life.

Circumstances that change over time will influence how such optional possessions are prioritized in life. Affordability sometimes has very little to do with this change.

Especially when you already have a good or decent collection. The extra piece is sometimes not worth it even if you could technically afford it.

sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 04:59 AM   #150
Robocop305
"TRF" Member

Nothing weird about this question. Financial situation can change from one day to the other.
Robocop305 is offline   Reply With Quote