The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 October 2021, 09:15 PM   #31
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Getting onto the wish list doesn't mean you will get the watch eventually, guess this is the most frustrating thing at the moment.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 09:21 PM   #32
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
"Can we show you some watches ?"

"No thank you ,I am here for a relationship ."
I don't want to be overly harsh on the OP, but that did make me laugh out loud.

And it's a well made point - in general.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 09:40 PM   #33
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I don't want to be overly harsh on the OP, but that did make me laugh out loud.

And it's a well made point - in general.
Well the thing is not everyone has tens of thousands lying around to spend on multiple watches that they don’t want.

Some people actually spend years saving for a watch of their dreams as a present to themselves to mark an occasion
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 10:04 PM   #34
emtee
"TRF" Member

All depends on the person you are dealing with at Goldsmiths in my experience. I crossed paths with a few muppets before the manager stepped in and he was fantastic. Got me my BLNR within 2 months after being told by his SA’s that it was a 5 year wait. Sadly he left so thank god I’m not in the market for a new Rolex, the thought of begging them for one gives me anxiety lol
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 10:14 PM   #35
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of variations of this thread on watch forums all over the world and there are similar responses to all these threads. Some positive and some negative, but all similar outcomes.

Go grey it’s cheaper in the long run.
I’m not playing the game.
You’ve got to play the game.
I got lucky and got one with no previous history.
Rolex need to double their production to satisfy their customers demands.
Rolex will never double their production to satisfy their customers demands as they will destroy the market.
I bought ‘this’ and ‘this’ and I eventually got one.
I can’t afford to buy ‘this’ and ‘this’ to get one.
Give up fella as AD’s sell them out the back door to greys so you’re wasting your time.
My AD is genuine and only sells to genuine long standing clients and would never sell to the greys.
My AD told me he only get 1 Daytona every 12th full moon when the full moons on a Wednesday.
My AD gets 8 Daytona’s a week!
Buy Tudor/Omega/Breitling.
I don’t want Tudor/Omega/Breitling.
Give them a back hander.
I’ve been waiting 8 years for the call, my AD said I’m next.
I didn’t answer the phone and when I called back the AD had sold it to the next customer.
I spent hours smoozing my SA, now they’ve left the AD and I’m back to square one.
Rolex are destroying their brand.
It’s my 70th wedding anniversary and I want his and hers Daytona’s.
It’s my graduation present to myself.
I’ve a birthday this year.

Etc etc and there’s loads more I’ve missed off.

Reality is do some leg work and go round and try to get your name down. Accept it may or may not happen. Also accept that for every 1 SS professional Rolex right now there are 20 or 30, or 100 people wanting it. So why would they sell to you, an unknown person to them? Accept that you may need to buy other things to become known to them. If you can’t afford it or don’t want to, then that’s fine, but just be aware the other 19,29 or 99 might just do that. After all AD’s tend to sell other things apart from Rolex watches and they are a business.

Most of all, don’t let it be an obsession as life really is too short.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 10:14 PM   #36
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
All depends on the person you are dealing with at Goldsmiths in my experience. I crossed paths with a few muppets before the manager stepped in and he was fantastic. Got me my BLNR within 2 months after being told by his SA’s that it was a 5 year wait. Sadly he left so thank god I’m not in the market for a new Rolex, the thought of begging them for one gives me anxiety lol
I agree with this.

Best advice OP is avoid the chains for now. They do have massive buying power but they have huge lists and they change the rules.

Find yourself a nice independent that you actually like when you walk In. Even better if that independent have a few other stores with other brands.

The explorer should come your way within 12-18 months although you picked a time to get into it when there is heightened demand for the explorer with its new release.
bp1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 10:24 PM   #37
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
I agree with this.

Best advice OP is avoid the chains for now. They do have massive buying power but they have huge lists and they change the rules.

Find yourself a nice independent that you actually like when you walk In. Even better if that independent have a few other stores with other brands.

The explorer should come your way within 12-18 months although you picked a time to get into it when there is heightened demand for the explorer with its new release.
In reality is too hard to avoid especially when you live in or near London. Those family owned ADs only deal with local clients so it is difficult.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 12:05 AM   #38
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammad10 View Post
Well the thing is not everyone has tens of thousands lying around to spend on multiple watches that they don’t want.

Some people actually spend years saving for a watch of their dreams as a present to themselves to mark an occasion
Please see my original reply to you on page 1.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 12:15 AM   #39
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimepieceRPP View Post
In reality is too hard to avoid especially when you live in or near London. Those family owned ADs only deal with local clients so it is difficult.
Yes, Watches of Switzerland Group are a blight on the UK market but difficult to avoid, - unfortunately. They must have a big chunk of the UK Rolex market, and many other brands too. They are too big and dealing with too many people to provide a good service. It is on industrial scale. Feels like PC world, only worse. No doubt they are the source of a lot of the grey market Rolex supply. But we're stuck with them.

Find a good smaller scale independent chain, who are as good as their word and stick with them. I spend with one AD where I feel if I am on a waiting list they will actually produce the goods within a reasonable timescale. With Watches of Switzerland Group being on a waiting list guarantees nothing, and unfortunately is something they use to get rid of people they have no intention of selling too. It would be better if they were honest upfront and not waste people's time.

And with WOS Group I would not even trust them to get me the watch I want even if I did spend on other stuff I don't want. No good for a long term relationship, unless you're a flipper. Can't be trusted, too many sales assistants and too many customers to get a personal service.

But maybe when the pandemic is over and things to return to normal they will be a better choice, -because they are hard to avoid. Hugely, profitable at the moment, unsurprisingly. It is the future of the independent ADs I'm more worried about. Thought of having to use WOS Group and no other choices is not good.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 01:48 AM   #40
terrywoods
"TRF" Member

But prestons on that list too, they ain’t selling anyone anything to anyone on a list
terrywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 02:15 AM   #41
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwigan View Post
Yes, Watches of Switzerland Group are a blight on the UK market but difficult to avoid, - unfortunately. They must have a big chunk of the UK Rolex market, and many other brands too. They are too big and dealing with too many people to provide a good service. It is on industrial scale. Feels like PC world, only worse. No doubt they are the source of a lot of the grey market Rolex supply. But we're stuck with them.

Find a good smaller scale independent chain, who are as good as their word and stick with them. I spend with one AD where I feel if I am on a waiting list they will actually produce the goods within a reasonable timescale. With Watches of Switzerland Group being on a waiting list guarantees nothing, and unfortunately is something they use to get rid of people they have no intention of selling too. It would be better if they were honest upfront and not waste people's time.

And with WOS Group I would not even trust them to get me the watch I want even if I did spend on other stuff I don't want. No good for a long term relationship, unless you're a flipper. Can't be trusted, too many sales assistants and too many customers to get a personal service.

But maybe when the pandemic is over and things to return to normal they will be a better choice, -because they are hard to avoid. Hugely, profitable at the moment, unsurprisingly. It is the future of the independent ADs I'm more worried about. Thought of having to use WOS Group and no other choices is not good.
Just to address the balance, I deal with Mappin and Webb who are part of the WoS group, they get their stock allocated by WoS, I have had nothing but exemplary service from the team at the store, I cannot recommend the store highly enough.

They have got me the watches my wife and I wanted without any issue, they have got watches in for me to try and have never complained when I turned the watch down.

I will only buy my Rolex from this store because they give such good service.

There are always two sides to a story.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 02:47 AM   #42
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Just to address the balance, I deal with Mappin and Webb who are part of the WoS group, they get their stock allocated by WoS, I have had nothing but exemplary service from the team at the store, I cannot recommend the store highly enough.

They have got me the watches my wife and I wanted without any issue, they have got watches in for me to try and have never complained when I turned the watch down.

Which branch do you use?
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 03:25 AM   #43
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:

Maybe Goldsmiths is the runt of the litter, so to speak. Not sure where different shop brands sit in the WOS group. And if some shops have first call on particular watches. Perhaps, more affluent areas get first pick on allocations because customers in those areas spend more. Also, don't know how much you have spent. But glad it is working for you and good luck to you. I rather suspect my experience is more the norm i.e. not being offered desirable Rolexes - unless you spend on other stuff first. And without spending first, just being put on a waiting list when they have no intention of selling you a Rolex anytime soon.

Certainly, the leaked WOS group sales matrix, which I think is genuine, states you will not be sold a Rolex without purchase history first. And that was what I was told by a sales assistant who seemed to be trying to do me a favour rather than waste my time. Manager also confirmed that, at least in this time of shortages. When the world returns to normal I suppose you will be able to just walk in off the street and buy what you want.

But just to add. Read the online reviews for WOS Group shops. Non Rolex purchases even. They are appalling. Especially for shops that deal with luxury brands. And way way worse than those for independent Jewellers. Surprising, really. You would think high end brands would want high end customer service. Can't be doing the brands reputations any good.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 04:00 AM   #44
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by telesquire View Post
I would love to have a recording of such a conversation so that I could firstly send it to Rolex UK and then the Consumer Protection body for the Unfair Trading Act. Rolex freely advertise their watches with retail prices and when available you should be able to purchase the watch you want without having to spend £10k on another product first. Its 2021....you they can't manipulate and coerse consumers like that, we have acts and laws to protect us from such practices.
Indeed we have, at least in the UK, for example the "Trade Descriptions Act 1968". I haven't waded through all of it, but it seems to me that the ridiculous and shameful games many ADs play with their potential customers could constitute as offences under this Act of Parliament!
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 04:24 AM   #45
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
I've said this in another thread, but after 53 years wearing my 1675 GMT Master I wanted to 'retire' it and buy another, current, Pepsi GMT to see out the rest of my days. But then I encountered Goldsmiths - the only AD in my part of the country. To cut a long story short I decided not to play their game and I quit Rolex and bought an Omega Speedmaster (Master Chronometer) from Beaverbrook's Omega Boutique, to become my new daily watch. I won't buy anything from Goldsmith's again. I'm delighted with the Speedy and am quite happy to just bring out my vintage GMT on special occasions.

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 04:27 AM   #46
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwigan View Post
Maybe Goldsmiths is the runt of the litter, so to speak. Not sure where different shop brands sit in the WOS group. And if some shops have first call on particular watches. Perhaps, more affluent areas get first pick on allocations because customers in those areas spend more. Also, don't know how much you have spent. But glad it is working for you and good luck to you. I rather suspect my experience is more the norm i.e. not being offered desirable Rolexes - unless you spend on other stuff first. And without spending first, just being put on a waiting list when they have no intention of selling you a Rolex anytime soon.

Certainly, the leaked WOS group sales matrix, which I think is genuine, states you will not be sold a Rolex without purchase history first. And that was what I was told by a sales assistant who seemed to be trying to do me a favour rather than waste my time. Manager also confirmed that, at least in this time of shortages. When the world returns to normal I suppose you will be able to just walk in off the street and buy what you want.

But just to add. Read the online reviews for WOS Group shops. Non Rolex purchases even. They are appalling. Especially for shops that deal with luxury brands. And way way worse than those for independent Jewellers. Surprising, really. You would think high end brands would want high end customer service. Can't be doing the brands reputations any good.
I can only speak as I find, I have both Goldsmiths and M&W where I shop, the Rolex concession is with M&W, I have bought from both stores no issues in either store.

Old 24 October 2021, 04:28 AM   #47
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Which branch do you use?
Bluewater

Old 24 October 2021, 04:32 AM   #48
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by telesquire View Post
I would love to have a recording of such a conversation so that I could firstly send it to Rolex UK and then the Consumer Protection body for the Unfair Trading Act. Rolex freely advertise their watches with retail prices and when available you should be able to purchase the watch you want without having to spend £10k on another product first. Its 2021....you they can't manipulate and coerse consumers like that, we have acts and laws to protect us from such practices.
The problem will be "proving" that the watch was available at any given point in time. It's not like it's in the case and you are being told you cannot have it. Can't force someone to sell you something they don't have (or, at the very least, you can't prove that they have).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 05:24 AM   #49
dannyp
Banned

Quote:

Rolex really should be sending ADs that are also Omega, Panerai and TAG dealers a demand letter for commission on all the sales The sales they’ve helped generate for those brands.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 05:30 AM   #50
Andrews148
"TRF" Member

Go to a different AD.
Andrews148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 05:41 AM   #51
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:

There are always two sides to a story - there is also someone who has had crap service from Bluewater Mappin & Webb.

As an example, ask the manager there for a GMT. Ask him how long it’ll take him to get one for you, despite your couple of previous purchases from him.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 05:44 AM   #52
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Hello all, I am new to the forum, been lurking for s few months before I joined!

I only got into watches around 2019 and have found it to be such a fascinating hobby.
I have been trying to build a ‘relationship’ with a dealer in the UK (Goldsmiths) and have been popping down to the store to chat to the sales assistants every few weeks, and we’ve been getting on really well.
I have my name down for an Explorer II.

Today the sales assistant took me aside and said:
‘I want to be as honest with you as possible. I am not allowed to sell a professional model to you. You have to buy around £10k worth of jewellery/watches from us to be offered a professional model’

What I don’t really understand is that they don’t want people to flip watches- but they are trying to get me to buy a DJ 28/31 which I have no use for and would sell. It makes no sense to spend £10k to buy a watch that retails at £6.8k! It would be cheaper for me to go gray!
How did you first timers get your foot in the door?

Find another AD.

Doesn’t sound like you’re building that relationship as well as you’d like.
Old 24 October 2021, 06:37 AM   #53
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura!, View Post
Find another AD.

Doesn’t sound like you’re building that relationship as well as you’d like.
A problem is that in some parts of the World - certainly where I live - there is only one AD within a few hundred miles. That one AD effectively has a monopoly on supplying Role watches.

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 07:03 AM   #54
PJ03029174
"TRF" Member

I went into my local Goldsmiths in Bristol on Friday where I’ve been on the waiting list for a Sub ND for 3.5 months. I’ve got no purchase history but popped in for a chat. Got a really helpful assistant who I believe was dead straight with me. She told me the sub is on a list which due to the used price being so high, they’re not selling these models to people who have no purchase history because they have no idea if the watch is being bought to flip.

I think it’s fair to be honest. There’s a supply demand imbalance so other people are going to get the call as they have history with the AD. Only hope is the used market settles down which might help me get the call, if not I’ll get over it.
PJ03029174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 07:43 AM   #55
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGMT View Post
A problem is that in some parts of the World - certainly where I live - there is only one AD within a few hundred miles. That one AD effectively has a monopoly on supplying Role watches.

Stan.

It comes down to how desperate people are.
Old 24 October 2021, 07:59 AM   #56
greengold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetracer View Post
Maybe I’m just lucky. I wondered into Watches of Switzerland who own Goldsmiths in the UK in 2019. Chatted to the staff who were very friendly. I registered interest in three Rolex watches. I’d only bought jewellery for my wife in the past from Goldsmiths but had not spent more than £4000 on some diamond earrings.

During the pandemic lockdown in 2020, they called me up and offered me a selection of watches. I bought a turquoise dial OP 41 and a Submariner and collected them when they reopened. I’m hopeful I’ll get called again soon. I visited the store recently and they had display only pieces to try on.
Incorrect, Arum group own WOS..and Goldsmiths..and Mappin & Webb
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 08:07 AM   #57
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura!, View Post
There are always two sides to a story - there is also someone who has had crap service from Bluewater Mappin & Webb.

As an example, ask the manager there for a GMT. Ask him how long it’ll take him to get one for you, despite your couple of previous purchases from him.
Sure I understand that not everyone will get what they want from a store that goes without saying. But as I've said on another post I can only speak as I find, I've not encountered anything other than a first rate service from the Mappin and Webb team at Bluewater.

The store has looked after me very well, I picked up my Submariner 124060 within 3 weeks of the launch, how did I managed that as I'm no VIP just Joe Average with a love of watches.

If I wanted a GMT I would be able to get one, how long would it take, a while, it is a popular watch, but I know that it will be a wait so no surprises there.

The biggest compliment I can give the store is their honesty, I can get any watch I want it will just take time, so do I want the Daytona well I can have one, but I'll have to wait, a good few years.

I'm a realist, I don't expect to get a popular watch by picking it out of the display, I understand that demand is massively outstripping supply and that I'll have to wait, the more popular the watch the longer the wait and the store has been upfront on telling me that, this is why I like the store, no bull sh!t.

Others may have a different view, that's fine as what works for me doesn't necessarily work for others.

Old 24 October 2021, 08:08 AM   #58
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Quote:
Hello all, I am new to the forum, been lurking for s few months before I joined!

I only got into watches around 2019 and have found it to be such a fascinating hobby.
I have been trying to build a ‘relationship’ with a dealer in the UK (Goldsmiths) and have been popping down to the store to chat to the sales assistants every few weeks, and we’ve been getting on really well.
I have my name down for an Explorer II.

Today the sales assistant took me aside and said:
‘I want to be as honest with you as possible. I am not allowed to sell a professional model to you. You have to buy around £10k worth of jewellery/watches from us to be offered a professional model’

What I don’t really understand is that they don’t want people to flip watches- but they are trying to get me to buy a DJ 28/31 which I have no use for and would sell. It makes no sense to spend £10k to buy a watch that retails at £6.8k! It would be cheaper for me to go gray!
How did you first timers get your foot in the door?
Welcome to Goldsmiths, they are really beneath contempt.

Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 08:10 AM   #59
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengold View Post
Incorrect, Arum group own WOS..and Goldsmiths..and Mappin & Webb
Correct, apparently the WoS name is used as it represents what they sell, if the stores were called Arum no one would understand.

Old 24 October 2021, 08:13 AM   #60
MWW70s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoffel View Post
Every time I hear stories like this about desperados popping in for a chat to “establish a relationship” makes me feel a bit sorry for the sales assistants. They’re having to listen to watchbores all day with little chance of getting a commission out of them. They probably take turns to take it on the chin while the rest go and actually sell watches and jewellery.
I thought they are being paid for that, and it is only when they listen to watch-bores and appear to have understood them that they can get to sell their unwanted jewelries.
MWW70s is offline   Reply With Quote