The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 November 2021, 03:14 AM   #1
Muzikman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub (116610LN)
Need a Blue dial beauty from Rolex!

Ok guys it’s watch buying time finally… been waiting for it from long. I’m currently owner of one 2017 steel Sub date 40mm in black. Still love it to bits! Had bought that one as I thought it to be the most versatile watch and rightly so.
Now I want a Blue dial watch as blue being my favourite colour and it’s also pretty versatile in a way. I haven’t yet checked out with my AD about the availability of any but I’m currently confused between a few Blue beauties. About my BG, I’m a medium built guy with 6.7” wrist in early forties and who prefer casual dressing more. Jeans and tees or shirts are usually my daily wear. Wear my Sub currently only on weekends and occasions. So my contenders are:

1) Blue dial DateJust 41 with Jubliee and fluted bezel. This is probably the most versatile of the lot as being a DJ, it’s easier to dress it up or down. Also subtle yet elegant.

2) The Yachtmaster 40 in Blue dial. Had not considered this until recently. Wasn’t too convinced about it so… again, until recently. Now I think it’s a beautiful watch with a very striking dial and almost dressier version of the Sub. Just that I’m not so sure about the bezel yet. Is it striking enough as the dial in real life as I haven’t laid my hands on one yet or is it dull and less flashy? And is the bezel more scratch prone? The DJ fluted bezel is on another level comparatively I guess. You can spot it from far that it’s a Rolex, though that can be a bad thing also in today’s times. Also the Dial is same shade as the DJ but more sportier.

3) The New Submariner 41mm Bluesy in two tone. I love that watch. Looks royal. This shade of blue is probably unique to only this and the full gold model I guess. I don’t mind two tone either. In fact would prefer over a full gold any day as it’s subtle in comparison. When I bought my first Black Sub date in 2017, I had tried this but thought it’s too flashy for my first Rolex. And need a more versatile piece. So had thought that will buy this as my next one. Also since I have one SS, this can be a bit dressier for special occasions with the gold.

Ofcourse I love the Blue Skydweller also but it’s impossible to get from the AD so no point even thinking about it. Also I would hopefully like to keep it forever in my collection.

I’m in love with all three actually. Maybe more with the DJ and the Bluesy. Little unsure about the bezel of the YM40. Also I’m guessing these three are not extremely difficult to get and can be bought after a few months waiting maximum. I already have one sub so a DJ or a YM could be a change in a way. Then again, the bluesy is pretty different with two tone than the plain jane black sub that I have. Also I don’t like bulky (thick) and heavier watches much. So the DJ and the YM, both being 1.5mm slimmer and lighter is a nice thing. Two tone will be heavier than my current sub also. But I’m ok with that in a way coz of that amazing blue and gold combo.

Too much confusion. Sorry for the longgg post. What would you prefer and why? Help me make a decision. I’m thinking of going to my AD after maybe a few weeks to check out and see the situation. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Muzikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 03:36 AM   #2
Schweinwerfer
"TRF" Member

4) Milgauss Z-Blue
Schweinwerfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 03:51 AM   #3
dannyp
Banned

I personally think DJ41 will be way too big looking. Dial much larger than dial on Sub and it’s pretty shiny. I’d look at the 36, as well as the OP36 in dark blue dial (same color as DJ I think). There’s the 41 version of that, too, but same issue. That is, of course, if you can live without a date.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 04:02 AM   #4
bp1000
"TRF" Member

The blue dial datejust on oyster with fluted bezel is a spectacular and very versatile combo. In your position that would be my choice.

The TT blue sub is very intense. I love it, I’ve owned it since 2014/15 and I love wearing it but it’s pretty intense sometimes. I’d much rather have it toned down with the DJ. The oyster is perfect. PCLs but steel.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 04:05 AM   #5
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Out of this list I truly feel the yachtmaster is the one to get. Opinions are subjective, but, my opinion is that it’s a stunner

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 04:07 AM   #6
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I personally think DJ41 will be way too big looking
I do agree with this. I’ve really started gravitating back to more traditional sizes. I really like the 36mm version, of the datejust and the explorer.

It’s a hurdle to get over but I’m really liking smaller watches at the moment. Especially in date just as the previous poster mentioned.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 04:12 AM   #7
Brockenbrough
"TRF" Member

The two-tone blue sub is the best <30K watch that Rolex makes. But that's just my opinion.
Brockenbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 04:35 AM   #8
TomCarter
"TRF" Member

Bluesy and imo the other 2 options do not even come close
TomCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 05:08 AM   #9
sj24k
"TRF" Member

hmmm, of those three, probably the DJ41. i just don't like that yachtmaster at all, particularly the bezel. and while i know the TT bluesy has a lot of fans out there, i'm not one of them. just too much going on, and none of it suits my tastes.

go for a 116619lb sub, a WG blue dial DD40, or the blue sky D from a trusted reseller and be done.

good luck.
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 05:22 AM   #10
rmagoo57
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Azzurro Blue DJ
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 06:02 AM   #11
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy (126613LB)
I have the same dilemma (Bluesy / DJI 41 blue), the YM is not even on my radar.
Signed up for both, REALLY HOPING the Bluesy comes in first, REALLY.

EDIT: I already have a blue watch, I just can't get enough blue I guess.
Old 14 November 2021, 06:13 AM   #12
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
I’d go for the yachtmaster or the bluesy and if possible, the Sky Dweller. You can’t go wrong with any of them , but the above would be my pics. Happy hunting.
Old 14 November 2021, 06:14 AM   #13
VincentM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116518-LV-CHNR-DJ-

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
VincentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 06:27 AM   #14
MiDoon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentM View Post

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

This is my favorite. DJ Roman Jubilee.

MiDoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 06:38 AM   #15
Recaro18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16520

Smurf Blue 116613LB

Sunburst Blue 116622

~Connecting people through my passion, one timepiece at a time~
Recaro18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 06:49 AM   #16
WILLIWALKER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Bluesy !! The blue is unique and the new 1266xx is just perfect in term of proportions and comfort
Old 14 November 2021, 06:56 AM   #17
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

BOOM !!!!

Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 06:59 AM   #18
blufinz52

Watch: 116400GV 124060
blufinz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 06:59 AM   #19
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Maybe not what you’re considering but I found this as a really satisfying blue dial ewatch. The cyclops was added after market.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 05:05 PM   #20
Muzikman
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Yesterday I went to my AD with a friend. He wanted to adjust links of his new Deepsea James cameron edition and I also wanted to get a link of my sub removed.

Upon inquiring, I was told they have stopped taking orders completely as no new stock is coming or expected soon. They’re just fulfilling back order commitments of people who’ve paid 50% advance six months back at least. Situation is pretty difficult.

Upon asking to try blue steel DJ, YM40 or a Bluesy, none were available ofcourse. Only DJ in 41 was a rose gold, MOP diamond dial in jubilee. It looked kinda big surprisingly and heavy too. I thought DJ41 would be similar to sub 40 as the sub wears bigger and seems like a bigger watch due to the bezel and maxi dial. But the dial area of DJ is bigger than sub and bezel is thinner, which makes it look bigger. But wearable still I think. Because 36 will look too small I think because I tried a Tudor blackbay 58 blue, which is 39mm, out there, which was kinda disappointing in person. Too dull and a bit small. Looks bigger in pictures somehow but in person it looked smallish.

So now Tudor is out of the list. Was thinking at one point about this blue bb58 also.

Still the same confusion remains as I am hoping to try them first before deciding. My SA, who’s the manager there infact, had unfortunately left for the day when I reached. So the lady who was helping us, said you can discuss with him and see what can be done. Let’s see how it goes.

Meanwhile I’m also thinking maybe I can try for the Rootbeer too? Even though it isn’t a blue dial and my black sub has similar dial also. But I guess even after getting it, I might still yearn for a blue dial watch. Looks great though.

Old 5 December 2021, 05:40 PM   #21
tongest
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
There's a reason the Bluesy is called the Bluesy, it's the best blue dial watch and nothing near it's price point compares.
tongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 05:49 PM   #22
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

You've already got a Sub, and variety is the spice of life.

My vote goes to the DJ in blue, but not 41mm. My wrist is similar in size to yours and to be honest 41mm looks a bit of a dinnerplate on mine. So my vote goes to DJ36 in blue. Get the motif dial if it takes your fancy.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 06:20 PM   #23
nollie85
Banned

The absolute best blue dial Rolex makes is the Bluesy Sub sunburst Blue Dial.

That dial is just amazing in person. Beats all the other blues by far its only when you see them side by side you realise just how beautiful the Bluesy dial is.

I started with the Twin Tone and recently upgraded to the full gold but they both use the same dials. You CAN NOT beat that Blue.
nollie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 06:28 PM   #24
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

SKyD wears like a huge fluted DJ and would be too large for you.

Blue DJ36 or Smurf gets a vote. Although if you already had a SubC I’d go the DJ. Then there’s the blue dial white gold Daytona …

Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 08:41 PM   #25
Muzikman
"TRF" Member

Am leaning more and more towards the bluesy as I read all your suggestions.. that watch has been on my mind since years as it is.

SkyD will be too big even I think so. But I wore my friend’s Deepsea JC and it didn’t look bad as such! Which is 44mm and the biggest watch in Rolex catalogue! But again SkyD blue will be impossible to get at retail, and I don’t wanna spend on full gold watches like smurf or white gold daytona currently. Also I kinda feel uncomfortable wearing heavy hitters in public. Hence prefer steel ones or at max a two tone like bluesy. Though bluesy is pretty flashy and striking so can wear only at selected places. Else steel the sub date goes under the radar well usually.

Hoping I can manage to try them first at the AD. Will demand patience… lots of it

Old 5 December 2021, 09:30 PM   #26
omar10213245

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikman View Post
Am leaning more and more towards the bluesy as I read all your suggestions.. that watch has been on my mind since years as it is.

SkyD will be too big even I think so. But I wore my friend’s Deepsea JC and it didn’t look bad as such! Which is 44mm and the biggest watch in Rolex catalogue! But again SkyD blue will be impossible to get at retail, and I don’t wanna spend on full gold watches like smurf or white gold daytona currently. Also I kinda feel uncomfortable wearing heavy hitters in public. Hence prefer steel ones or at max a two tone like bluesy. Though bluesy is pretty flashy and striking so can wear only at selected places. Else steel the sub date goes under the radar well usually.

Hoping I can manage to try them first at the AD. Will demand patience… lots of it

I'm a bluesy owner myself, and let me tell you, when you have that thing on your wrist, and you take a moment to look down at the watch, particularly when you're outdoors in natural sunlight, that blue dial alone will take your breath away. Combine that dial with the gold accents, and you have an all-time stunner that will forever be in-style and always be 100% satisfying.
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 10:49 PM   #27
Muzikman
"TRF" Member

Wow! so many bluesy fans here! I wonder why still many people think it’s an old person’s watch?! I would say anyone with a nice taste will like it!

Old 5 December 2021, 10:56 PM   #28
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, GMT, Sub
I was in a similar position recently, looking to add a blue faced watch. Looking for a sporty watch for summertime, but also one I can wear in casual attire (shorts, jeans, etc).

My wrists are 7-7.25 inch. Most of my watches are 40-42mm.

I found the DJ41 to look too large. I think it just has too much ‘face’ and less going on within the dial making it look a little weird. It just felt off to me.

I love the photos of the SkyD blue. Feel that would scratch my itch, but almost impossible to obtain. Still on a couple AD lists with no delivery in sight. I haven’t tried it on in person. Only worry is size.

I’ve always been enthralled with the YM Blue. Wife doesn’t like it. Given YM isn’t as popular, I may still add it…but perhaps years later when prices subside a bit.

Bluesy is really nice. The sunburst dial is gorgeous. I’m generally just not a two tone watch person and the yellow gold can be a bit much at times. Still love the look of the watch.

I also looked at Tudor Pelagos and BB58. Both great watches. Pelagos was a bit too large, took and the blue just wasn’t the color I was after. Loved the BB58. The blue is muted a bit.

Where I landed:
I ended up picking up my first Omega ….a Seamaster Pro 300M diver in blue. A great watch mechanically, strong history, and solid build quality. Not a Rolex of course, but a strong option. It’s my summer watch but wears and is very flexible. It is not very formal, so while it could dress up….that is not its strength. Other positive is that it’s available at ADs and can be achieved with a discount. While not a Rolex, it hit my itch at a lower cost and got me into another brand. So far, happy.

I also plan to grab a DJ 36 fluted bezel on jubilee. Such a classic. This will cover as a bit more dressy for me also, which I lack. Thinking of this for an anniversary perhaps one year. Debating on bright blue vs blue motif dial.

Good luck in your search!
pedersenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 10:58 PM   #29
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
How about more than just blue. One of the most unique watches Rolex has produced, the James Cameron Deep Blue DSSD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 5 December 2021, 11:22 PM   #30
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, GMT, Sub

pedersenkl is offline   Reply With Quote