The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 December 2021, 12:36 AM   #31
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
How about more than just blue. One of the most unique watches Rolex has produced, the James Cameron Deep Blue DSSD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh yes, this is the most gorgeous dial, I love it.

For pure blue, blue Sky D. is the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex 126660-6.jpg (149.3 KB, 172 views)
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Seiko: SRPA21, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 02:16 AM   #32
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

1266613LB without hesitation. The new generation’s white dial text is so sharp and takes it to level for me. Love it.

There are many other great DJ combos and the YM is better with the grey dial (IMHO).
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 02:33 AM   #33
joeboy
Banned

Incredibly sharp watch. Love the depth!
joeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 02:46 AM   #34
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Need a Blue dial beauty from Rolex!

If you already have a black dial Sub, go for the Datejust 41. Only problem is they are not easy to get.

A blue dial watch is a requirement for me too, but I have a blue dial Seamaster, so I think I’m covered for now.

The Seamaster is a great option, but it’s a big watch. IWC have some of the best blue dial watches out there, but they wear big too…

Definitely check out blue dial Omega Aqua Terra’s. They are readily available in 38 and 41mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 03:44 AM   #35
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
Oh yes, this is the most gorgeous dial, I love it.

For pure blue, blue Sky D. is the best.
I agree, if Rolexes were readily available, I would have that Blue Sky D for sure!!!
Old 6 December 2021, 07:35 AM   #36
Lightsped
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, OP41, DJ x 4
Of those choices, Blue DJ. While looking, also check blue OP41 and Milgauss Z blue.
Lightsped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 07:39 AM   #37
Aircraftman
"TRF" Member

I don’t like the cyclops so not a lot of choices with Rolex

However I love my new OP41
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 086AE6A4-5243-4662-B2D6-C8B7ADDEB81B.jpeg (158.7 KB, 120 views)

Favorite watch: Seiko Orange Monster cause when I’m wearing it I’m diving in some far flung corner of the planet!
Aircraftman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 08:12 AM   #38
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

of those would get the DJ, perhaps in 36mm if 41 is too big
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 02:37 PM   #39
Muzikman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub (116610LN)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedersenkl View Post
I was in a similar position recently, looking to add a blue faced watch. Looking for a sporty watch for summertime, but also one I can wear in casual attire (shorts, jeans, etc).

My wrists are 7-7.25 inch. Most of my watches are 40-42mm.

I found the DJ41 to look too large. I think it just has too much ‘face’ and less going on within the dial making it look a little weird. It just felt off to me.

I love the photos of the SkyD blue. Feel that would scratch my itch, but almost impossible to obtain. Still on a couple AD lists with no delivery in sight. I haven’t tried it on in person. Only worry is size.

I’ve always been enthralled with the YM Blue. Wife doesn’t like it. Given YM isn’t as popular, I may still add it…but perhaps years later when prices subside a bit.

Where I landed:
I ended up picking up my first Omega ….a Seamaster Pro 300M diver in blue. A great watch mechanically, strong history, and solid build quality. Not a Rolex of course, but a strong option. It’s my summer watch but wears and is very flexible. It is not very formal, so while it could dress up….that is not its strength. Other positive is that it’s available at ADs and can be achieved with a discount. While not a Rolex, it hit my itch at a lower cost and got me into another brand. So far, happy.

I also plan to grab a DJ 36 fluted bezel on jubilee. Such a classic. This will cover as a bit more dressy for me also, which I lack. Thinking of this for an anniversary perhaps one year. Debating on bright blue vs blue motif dial.

Good luck in your search!

I like that omega! Infact had tried it at an airport omega boutique too, where it was available at a pretty good discount. It’s a great casual piece. But somehow now after owning a Rolex, this won’t scratch the itch completely for me. Lol. Even to this day when I wear my Sub, I still be in awe at it when I look at it. Rolex has that thing going for it. But if and when I go for a Omega, it’ll be the speedy moonwatch.

I too have that view about the DJ41. Somehow felt the dial area a little big and less going for it. Some models like the Wimbledon dial is better that way. Has some green fonts as well and not just plain ol’ stick markers, which look little too plain maybe. There’s more empty area on the dial. But the wimbledon dial is in slate grey. Maybe someday. For now, what I need is a blue watch! Lol

Maybe I can try the DJ36 once and see I guess. Though not convinced on the 36mm yet but no harm trying if I can lay my hands on it.

Btw, if you think you can add the YM after years later, goodluck! It has also become difficult to get watch already like other sports models. Not as difficult as a sub, but still not easily available. So the sooner, the better.

And for your wrist size, I wouldn’t worry about the SkyD’s size. For me, 6.75” wrist size, it can be a bit overwhelming I guess. But should be good to go for you. But again, given the popularity of it, goodluck getting one.

Muzikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 03:02 PM   #40
Muzikman
"TRF" Member

I like the JC edition DSSD but unfortunately, I don’t have the wrist size for it. It’s too big and heavy. Plus I don’t like too thick and heavy watches and this one’s a chunky piece. The dial is too die for meanwhile. Wish they’d get such a dial in a sub date! Wishful thinking. Lol

The OP41 is also nice but it’s dial face is apparently even bigger than the DJ41 according to a comparison video I saw on YouTube. And I prefer a date window. I also love the cyclops lens and feel that it’s a Rolex trademark sort of, which can be identified from far.

As far as DJ41 is concerned, it’ll still be easier to get than a Bluesy or even a YM40 blue dial actually. As I was told at the boutique.

IWC has some great pieces, but it’s somehow a dying brand now. It’s sadly going the Panerai route. My AD had another store where he kept Panerai, which is shut now and last few models are available at 50% off! Which are booked already since it’s a steal. So if I’m buying a lux watch, I would want it to retain it’s value atleast. Since it’s like buying a piece of jewellery. And the problem with most other brands is that, they lose value the moment you step out of the store. Except AP, Patek amd some models of Omega. My friend was interested in Vacheron infact, which also my AD used to keep. But he said that they’ve shut that as well since VC has left the country. So now even service will be a task if one gets it. It’s sad.

So as far as a medium price Lux brand goes, the safest bet is Rolex here in my country atleast. It will retain it’s value and always in demand. And to be clear, I don’t mean I intend to sell any of my watch in future for a gain, but when I’m putting a few thousand dollars on a watch, I won’t want it to lose it’s value over the time.

So till I can buy an AP or a Patek someday hopefully, it’ll be Rolex only for me.

Old 6 December 2021, 03:35 PM   #41
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 03:59 PM   #42
interestedinwatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I personally think DJ41 will be way too big looking. Dial much larger than dial on Sub and it’s pretty shiny. I’d look at the 36, as well as the OP36 in dark blue dial (same color as DJ I think). There’s the 41 version of that, too, but same issue. That is, of course, if you can live without a date.
I find this post a tad baffling because from my experience the DJ41 wears much smaller than the Sub.
interestedinwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 10:50 PM   #43
Muzikman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedinwatches View Post
I find this post a tad baffling because from my experience the DJ41 wears much smaller than the Sub.

Oh is it? If you have a sub and a DJ41, can you please share a pic side by side for reference if possible?

Old 6 December 2021, 11:01 PM   #44
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
How about more than just blue. One of the most unique watches Rolex has produced, the James Cameron Deep Blue DSSD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed. As a rotation piece this one is tough to beat if you have the wrist for it.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 11:12 PM   #45
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
1) Blue dial DateJust 41: nice, but compared to the other two, it lacks a little something, a wow factor perhaps. I could be wrong.
2) YM: best watch overall out of the 3 but this dial looks very dark IRL and clashes with the sandblasted pt bezel IMHO, so to me not the best blue dial watch, but the best grey dial watch (slate or pt dial).
3) TT Bluesy: perfect choice as the showy brother of the black Sub, complements it beautifully for a night out or to wear at the weekend. My pick.

alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 06:15 AM   #46
Muzikman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
1) Blue dial DateJust 41: nice, but compared to the other two, it lacks a little something, a wow factor perhaps. I could be wrong.
2) YM: best watch overall out of the 3 but this dial looks very dark IRL and clashes with the sandblasted pt bezel IMHO, so to me not the best blue dial watch, but the best grey dial watch (slate or pt dial).
3) TT Bluesy: perfect choice as the showy brother of the black Sub, complements it beautifully for a night out or to wear at the weekend. My pick.

1) I Agree. The Blue DJ41 lacks the wow factor somehow that the other blue contenders have. Found a old pic, when I went to decide for my sub. The Blue DJ41, Batman, Bluesy… all were readily available and I chose the sub for its versatility. Lol. No regrets but the batman also would’ve been as good for me now that I think of.

2) as far as the YM40 is concerned, I’m still sceptical about it’s bezel. The Dial though similar to the DJ41, does seem a little darker in shade somehow. Need to try it to understand it, which is really difficult for now as no watched are available.

3) I’m leaning more and more towards the bluesy hence. So what if there’ll be another sub in the collection. It’s different metal and colour. Still hope I can try before deciding and the availability isn’t as bad as being told.