The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 December 2021, 07:45 PM   #31
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Cannot understand the need or why any retail store would ask for details like above post. Because any AD is just a retail store that sells watches, just like any other retail store.And if all prospective buyers did not bow down to all this AD stuff then perhaps we could get back to normal.Next the ADs will be asking to kiss there feet before entering there retail store, treat them with respect yes. Just like you would treat the lady or man on the checkout at supermarket when getting your groceries.

Wait, what?? I thought that kissing (whatever that entailed) was the bare minimum before even being consider to be allowed into the exclusive club of Rolex ownership.
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 07:51 PM   #32
lava flow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
I’d never, ever provide my passport info to any non-government personnel. No chance I’d give them my passport. Other ways of identification with today’s technology.
all hotels In Europe ask to see your passport - if you refuse then no booking

simple
lava flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 07:57 PM   #33
Societas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Blue SkyD
I'm more surprised they took you on a list as a tourist. I'm in the EU, and I don't bother entering AD outside of France / Paris.
Societas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 08:01 PM   #34
lava flow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
+1, I maybe would have offered a drivers license or medical ID instead
why not your passport?

both of those you have mentioned are very easily forged and available online not even on the 'dark web'

they are not going to keep your passport and hold you to ransom,lol

in some parts of the world especially the Middle East you have to provide your passport to buy alcohol
Old 3 December 2021, 08:31 PM   #35
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt858 View Post
Today I went to AD to put myself on the list. I was told I would wait 4 months BUT SHE ASKED FOR A PASSPORT. She didn’t photo copy it, but did copy some data to a computer. I didn’t think too much of it until I told my friends and they’re all baffled as to why she took my passport. Any explanation? I’m an EU citizen visiting another EU country. The mentioned AD is on the Rolex dot com official dealer list.
Than lists are real? I thought they were mythological.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 08:33 PM   #36
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cannot understand the need or why any retail store would ask for details like above post. Because any AD is just a retail store that sells watches, just like any other retail store.And if all prospective buyers did not bow down to all this AD stuff then perhaps we could get back to normal.Next the ADs will be asking to kiss there feet before entering there retail store, treat them with respect yes. Just like you would treat the lady or man on the checkout at supermarket when getting your groceries.
I have to agree. This sort of nonsense is getting beyond a joke.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 08:45 PM   #37
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
[/B]

Wait, what?? I thought that kissing (whatever that entailed) was the bare minimum before even being consider to be allowed into the exclusive club of Rolex ownership.
Well today many think that Rolex is a exclusive club, instead of a mass produced watch made in there many many millions over the past decades. Don't get me wrong I love Rolex but more for there watches and the history of the brand, which I have took the time to study over the past 50 odd years. Different story today as Rolex watches now to many little more than nicknames, investment this or that, and ££$$€€.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 08:48 PM   #38
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Well today many think that Rolex is a exclusive club, instead of a mass produced watch made in there many many millions over the past decades. Don't get me wrong I love Rolex but more for there watches and the history of the brand, which I have took the time to study over the past 50 odd years. Different story today as Rolex watches now to many little more than nicknames, investment this or that, and ££$$€€.
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 01:35 AM   #39
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car32 View Post
Ever been to a non-US hotel?
Exactly
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 02:17 AM   #40
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
No biggie
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 02:37 AM   #41
roadster198
"TRF" Member

Signed my third agreement with my AD last Thursday. Don’t really care TBH. I’ve my six desirable pieces at MSRP.

I’d draw the line at a passport right enough. I’d be checking my bank daily from now on and watching the post for any “thanks for signing up to Porsche finance” letters my friend
roadster198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 05:32 AM   #42
Car32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
Exactly
but I agree I would never give my passport info to an AD (other than for tax back) or other retailer. Ridiculous.
Car32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 08:20 PM   #43
lava flow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster198 View Post
Signed my third agreement with my AD last Thursday. Don’t really care TBH. I’ve my six desirable pieces at MSRP.

I’d draw the line at a passport right enough. I’d be checking my bank daily from now on and watching the post for any “thanks for signing up to Porsche finance” letters my friend
what a truly ridiculous comment

and what exactly is a 'signed agreement' with an AD never heard of this?

is the agreement to split the profit 50/50 when you flip the watch,lol?

your passport is not linked to you bank account

also you obviously do not travel very often - as i said in an earlier post in some Middle East countries you have to produce your passport to buy alcohol

never mind if 'fishy Sturgeon' gets her way you will have a Scottish passport, lol
Old 4 December 2021, 08:46 PM   #44
enicar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSimon View Post
Quite right. Rolex making sure people aren't on multiple lists and to track serial numbers in case of flipping.
But that information doesn't go to Rolex Geneva? It remains at the AD (or the chain that it is part of). Please correct me if I am wrong...
enicar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 08:52 PM   #45
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
As an anti-money laundering measure, I'm asked to present my national ID card when buying a Rolex from a local AD in Spain. Foreign customers are asked to show their passport, which is also needed to claim the tax back.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 08:59 PM   #46
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Hard proof of your home address to vet and qualify you. Simple.
My passport shows my place of birth and country of citizenship...not my home address.

Anyone can ask to see it. We all can decide whether to oblige them. Many countries used to ask for it in hotels, not so much recently. No place except an airport expects me to have it while in my home country (USA). An AD is one of the last people I would be worried about showing it to.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 09:22 PM   #47
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lava flow View Post

also you obviously do not travel very often - as i said in an earlier post in some Middle East countries you have to produce your passport to buy alcohol

never mind if 'fishy Sturgeon' gets her way you will have a Scottish passport, lol
A certain AD group has you sign an agreement essentially not to flip within a certain timescale.

It’s not legally binding, but you acknowledge you’ll be blacklisted if you flip.
Absolutely fair to me, and I have no issues with it. They still have huge lists of people happy to sign up to their terms.

The Scottish passport/Sturgeon comments are not required, whatever your views on the topic, it’s not the forum for it.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 09:38 PM   #48
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

I would have asked why they need it. Not sure it’s a big deal though. Hotels have done it for as long as I can remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 12:31 AM   #49
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
My passport shows my place of birth and country of citizenship...not my home address.

Anyone can ask to see it. We all can decide whether to oblige them. Many countries used to ask for it in hotels, not so much recently. No place except an airport expects me to have it while in my home country (USA). An AD is one of the last people I would be worried about showing it to.

Well, technically we are all supposed to pencil in our "current" residence address on page 4. It's right at the top of the page. I always do it right away after renewal so I don't forget.

Most people forget or don't even think about it, so they miss that detail. I just opened my wife's and she didn't fill in hers but mine is.

I do it simply in the off chance that if it were to somehow get lost or stolen and it wound up at the local US embassy, having it already written there might aid me in identifying myself when I call or go there in person for help. It's one more data point they can use.

I'd have to think way back to when I got my first one before studying abroad, but I think they used to tell us to do it for that reason and that's why it sticks out in my memory.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 01:18 AM   #50
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
Well, technically we are all supposed to pencil in our "current" residence address on page 4. It's right at the top of the page. I always do it right away after renewal so I don't forget.

Most people forget or don't even think about it, so they miss that detail. I just opened my wife's and she didn't fill in hers but mine is.

I do it simply in the off chance that if it were to somehow get lost or stolen and it wound up at the local US embassy, having it already written there might aid me in identifying myself when I call or go there in person for help. It's one more data point they can use.

I'd have to think way back to when I got my first one before studying abroad, but I think they used to tell us to do it for that reason and that's why it sticks out in my memory.

That sounds like something that people did before we could all be reached by phone. My phone number is on things like my luggage and passport just on the off chance an honest person ends up with it.

I see people who still put their home address on luggage and not a phone number...is it 1955 and the milkman is going to deliver it to you?... No, it's 2021 and people now know your house is empty.

zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 01:37 AM   #51
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
That sounds like something that people did before we could all be reached by phone. My phone number is on things like my luggage and passport just on the off chance an honest person ends up with it.

I see people who still put their home address on luggage and not a phone number...is it 1955 and the milkman is going to deliver it to you?... No, it's 2021 and people now know your house is empty.

Ha ha, that's awesome. You are so right! Absolutely this ties back to the days before we had cell phones and other means of immediate communication. I think back to when when I first got mine. There was no internet yet. We didn't have cell phones. There was literally no way of communicating other than by landlines or snail mail. Email had only just started and it was all .edu addresses, so it was a unique and novel concept to be able to send messages back to friends on campus or at other schools while being across the pond. LOL

I'm a creature of habit, though, so I just pencil in my address and forget about it. I use my business card in my luggage tags, since that has all of my contact info.

Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 01:42 AM   #52
dwelling seas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt858 View Post
Today I went to AD to put myself on the list. I was told I would wait 4 months BUT SHE ASKED FOR A PASSPORT. She didn’t photo copy it, but did copy some data to a computer. I didn’t think too much of it until I told my friends and they’re all baffled as to why she took my passport. Any explanation? I’m an EU citizen visiting another EU country. The mentioned AD is on the Rolex dot com official dealer list.
when someone asks for something that they do not deserve or need, i simply pass and go away
dwelling seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 02:42 AM   #53
roadster198
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What ridiculous comment?

I've flipped nothing nor do I plan to
roadster198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 02:44 AM   #54
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Why would they think you were carrying a passport to begin with?

My understanding is crossing borders in EU doesn’t require passports…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You'd have to carry your ID card then, a drivers license is not a valid ID when crossing an EU border.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 08:53 PM   #55
lava flow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster198 View Post
What ridiculous comment?

I've flipped nothing nor do I plan to

so please explain what 'signed agreement' you made with the AD?

simply enough question i would have thought?
Old 9 December 2021, 08:55 PM   #56
lava flow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
A certain AD group has you sign an agreement essentially not to flip within a certain timescale.

It’s not legally binding, but you acknowledge you’ll be blacklisted if you flip.
Absolutely fair to me, and I have no issues with it. They still have huge lists of people happy to sign up to their terms.

The Scottish passport/Sturgeon comments are not required, whatever your views on the topic, it’s not the forum for it.
well, to get my five Rolex models inc a White Daytona and Green Submariner at RRP i have never had to sign anything

perhaps because my AD trusts and respects me?
Old 10 December 2021, 12:27 AM   #57
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoPAPAmus View Post
This dude wins the internet today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 10:15 PM   #58
hemmingsmax
"TRF" Member

I see it’s been a while, but I wanted to chime in. I guess it's just a standard procedure for them to verify identity or something. But personally, I'm pretty cautious about sharing personal info.
hemmingsmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 03:35 AM   #59
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
all hotels In Europe ask to see your passport - if you refuse then no booking

simple
Agree - absolutely normal both before and after brexit.
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 04:06 AM   #60
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 39, SeaQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
I’d never, ever provide my passport info to any non-government personnel. No chance I’d give them my passport. Other ways of identification with today’s technology.
Travelling from the US to EU and UK locations, I've been asked and presented the retailer with my passport many many times. To me it's no different then being asked for my driving license in the states to verify identity . . . it really isn't all that risky.
Jerrocop is online now   Reply With Quote