The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 December 2021, 12:09 PM   #31
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Damn! My Rolex portfolio took a slight dip today because of this thread. But I also bought the dip (brains, Harvard) so Rolex people (best) win again.

Love it.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 12:33 PM   #32
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Do pigs fly?
Old 2 December 2021, 12:41 PM   #33
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

My AD's cases are nearly full with almost every sport model. Weird though, all the watches show a time of 10:09. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a panda Daytona
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 12:47 PM   #34
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
No, lol nothing is bursting. The shelves are always full for the big spenders and empty for the rest.

Rolex knows the deal. As Mark Twain commented about his character Tom Sawyer, he discovered a great law of human action. In order to make a man or boy covet a thing, its only necessary to make that thing difficult to attain. Business know this is a flaw if you will in human psychology, effort and difficulty increase the value of a thing. Same phenomena has been shown in animal studies. You think they don't know this and are not exploiting it. Come on now. Every lux brand out there plays the same game.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 12:47 PM   #35
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
That’s 1,200 watches a year. At an average retail price of $10,000 that store would be grossing $12 million annually, netting $4 to $5 million… I doubt that very much.
Old 2 December 2021, 12:53 PM   #36
Realezt01
Banned

Not bad niceee
Realezt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 01:07 PM   #37
28mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
No, lol nothing is bursting. The shelves are always full for the big spenders and empty for the rest.

Rolex knows the deal. As Mark Twain commented about his character Tom Sawyer, he discovered a great law of human action. In order to make a man or boy covet a thing, its only necessary to make that thing difficult to attain. Business know this is a flaw if you will in human psychology, effort and difficulty increase the value of a thing. Same phenomena has been shown in animal studies. You think they don't know this and are not exploiting it. Come on now. Every lux brand out there plays the same game.
Don't break the spell!
Old 2 December 2021, 01:12 PM   #38
quantumdna
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC 4000V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixanthonies View Post
Went to AD yesterday and picked up two new rolexes (OP 31 Green and a new Submariner No Date). We had a nice conversation and the salesperson mentioned they are now getting 25 Rolexes per week compared to 5 per week a month ago. He said getting Date Just were pretty easy now. Went back by AD today (my office is down the street) and he had a 126334 in the Window for sale. Also went to two Rolex non dealers and they said they have also heard supply is increasing alot.

Anyone else experiencing increased Retail options? Falling Grey Market prices?
That is odd.. I live in Dallas.. which AD is this? May be we share an AD.. LOL.
Old 2 December 2021, 03:34 PM   #39
Edb5020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
That’s 1,200 watches a year. At an average retail price of $10,000 that store would be grossing $12 million annually, netting $4 to $5 million… I doubt that very much.
Easily true. Rolex produces 1M watches a year. If every AD only got 1200 a year, that would mean there are 833 ADs. Are there 833 ADs globally?
Edb5020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 03:44 PM   #40
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
Grey prices won't fall. Margins are thin, they'd rather let the watches sit there collecting dust than make a loss.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 04:11 PM   #41
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Well, I have seen a lot of Cermits and Steel GMTs on the grey market. Prices are still high, but greys seem to be selling them more slowly.

At some point everyone’s watch box will be full, right?
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 04:26 PM   #42
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Went to AD yesterday and picked up two new rolexes (OP 31 Green and a new Submariner No Date). We had a nice conversation and the salesperson mentioned they are now getting 25 Rolexes per week compared to 5 per week a month ago. He said getting Date Just were pretty easy now. Went back by AD today (my office is down the street) and he had a 126334 in the Window for sale. Also went to two Rolex non dealers and they said they have also heard supply is increasing alot.

Anyone else experiencing increased Retail options? Falling Grey Market prices?
Must just be where you are.
Polar opposites here
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 05:12 PM   #43
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller TT Jub
Quote:
I agree and I may have misunderstood....maybe he meant 5 per month compared to 25 per month. I know at their peak before covid he said that they normally had 300+ Rolexes in inventory.

But the bigger picture is anyone else seeing increased supplies????
My AD sales person told me similar things - about 3x increase in shipments - Rolex is cranking them out. Lots of my friends receiving calls about their allocations. So yes, it seems they are firing on all cylinders for the holiday season.
Koolpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 05:15 PM   #44
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquarter View Post
Grey prices won't fall. Margins are thin, they'd rather let the watches sit there collecting dust than make a loss.
Cash rich Greys might do that - leveraged or smaller greys might not be able to and NEED to sell to free up capital. And we have seen an incredible influx in "dealers" in the last 24 months. It's easy in booming markets - but only the really good dealers will survive a downturn....
Old 2 December 2021, 05:18 PM   #45
Neom
Banned

If they are indeed firing all the watches out on all cylinders before the holidays, I expect to see quality defects and the loupe gang show up.
Neom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 06:13 PM   #46
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Everyone is worried that this will or is happening that’s why your being asked for pics.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 06:54 PM   #47
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post
smaller greys might not be able to and NEED to sell to free up capital. And we have seen an incredible influx in "dealers" in the last 24 months. It's easy in booming markets - but only the really good dealers will survive a downturn....
Yes. Furthermore, I don't think it's the small, inexperienced speculators who are driving the market. They are just parasites who will move onto something else, if they have the means to finance it.

IIRC, this time of year usually sees more new watches arriving at ADs and a simultaneous hike in grey asking prices. I wonder why?!

Best to check again in March.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 07:18 PM   #48
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Yes. Furthermore, I don't think it's the small, inexperienced speculators who are driving the market. They are just parasites who will move onto something else, if they have the means to finance it.

IIRC, this time of year usually sees more new watches arriving at ADs and a simultaneous hike in grey asking prices. I wonder why?!

Best to check again in March.
Agree with you. However the small dealers can tip the scale and set a trend. for some watch models it doesn't take much to see the price go onto a downward spiral. Imagine you are leveraged in a specific model - and it's slowly loosing value over a few weeks or months, eventually you might just want to cut your losses and then need to sell in a falling market - which will accelerate the fall.

It has happened often before - so wouldn't be surprised to see it happening. Maybe not with Daytonas - but with OPs, DJs, AirKings, etc.
Old 2 December 2021, 08:57 PM   #49
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

There’s been deliveries for Christmas. And some very desirable models in the drop. But I can’t really say supply > demand. They’re still selling what they sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 09:46 PM   #50
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb5020 View Post
Easily true. Rolex produces 1M watches a year. If every AD only got 1200 a year, that would mean there are 833 ADs. Are there 833 ADs globally?

Less than that. I counted one time in their website.

Old 2 December 2021, 09:49 PM   #51
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It has happened often before - so wouldn't be surprised to see it happening. Maybe not with Daytonas - but with OPs, DJs, AirKings, etc.
That would be a sudden outbreak of common sense.
Old 2 December 2021, 09:51 PM   #52
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
No words…
Old 2 December 2021, 10:34 PM   #53
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
There is no shortage.
Countless people have the same collection of spanking new ceramic GMTs, green variation Sub, etc.
They are great watches but nothing special.
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 10:43 PM   #54
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

ADs typically get a bit more stock for the holidays, like retailers of every kind.

Rolex still only produces about 750,000-800,000 watches a year and there are millions of people in the world (all of whom know the name Rolex) coming of age and wanting a watch every year. Many of them are becoming prosperous enough to afford a Rolex thanks to the ever booming global economy.

Many more are born every day and when they come of age and have money in a few decades, Rolex will still be making only so many watches.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 10:57 PM   #55
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
Rolex still only produces about 750,000-800,000 watches a year
That's the last number I saw. Although it's actually 750,005 - 800,005 if you include their yearly production of Sky Dwellers. Or so I'm told.
Old 2 December 2021, 11:19 PM   #56
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb5020 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Less than that. I counted one time in their website.
Way off. There are over 1,600 authorized Rolex retailer locations around the world.

But, that number is largely irrelevant to this discussion because ''total estimated production divided by total number of global AD locations" is a meaningless number.

Production is allocated strategically based on demand, growth potential, exchange rates, and probably 10 other factors.

China and United States alone account for app. 30% of global demand. The top six countries probably get over half of ALL production. Then, within each territory, shipments go to the best dealers. In the U.S., this means Watches of Switzerland in NYC probably gets 10X the shipments of the Rolex AD in Little Rock, Arkansas.

All stores are not equal.
vh2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 11:19 PM   #57
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Agree with you. However the small dealers can tip the scale and set a trend. for some watch models it doesn't take much to see the price go onto a downward spiral. Imagine you are leveraged in a specific model - and it's slowly loosing value over a few weeks or months, eventually you might just want to cut your losses and then need to sell in a falling market - which will accelerate the fall.

I think the $15,000 Oyster Perpetuals will lead the cascade of selling when the scales tip. There's no planet where an Oyster Perpetual has that level of intrinsic value.

My own OP36 now has asking prices ranging from $7,500 to $8,000 plus shipping. Just one year ago I paid below MSRP for mine. Makes no sense.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 11:24 PM   #58
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Way off. There are over 1,600 authorized Rolex retailer locations around the world.

But, that number is largely irrelevant to this discussion because ''total estimated production divided total number of global AD locations" is a meaningless number.

Production is allocated based on demand. China and United States alone account for app. 30% of global demand. The top six countries probably get over half of ALL production. Then, within each territory, shipments go to the best dealers. In the U.S., this means Watches of Switzerland in NYC probably gets 10X the shipments of the Rolex AD in Little Rock, Arkansas. All ADs are not equal.

Did you count? I did. Took me a while. In any event that’s public data. Any other info such as allocation is speculation at best. I am all for using reason, but let’s be clear on the limitations of what’s known.

I will direct you to my Mark Twain comments above. Rolex knows what’s up, and let’s say I don’t play games so don’t have a horse in the race.

Old 2 December 2021, 11:28 PM   #59
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
I think the $15,000 Oyster Perpetuals will lead the cascade of selling when the scales tip. There's no planet where an Oyster Perpetual has that level of intrinsic value.

My own OP36 now has asking prices ranging from $7,500 to $8,000 plus shipping. Just one year ago I paid below MSRP for mine. Makes no sense.
I think the canary is going to be the TT Datejust -- as that is made in significant quantities. When you see those start to drop to MSRP in the secondary channel, that is the signal that (within 6-12 months), Datejusts should be much more available from ADs again.
vh2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 11:28 PM   #60
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Let’s circle back:The OP said he picked up 2 Rolex watches. Let’s see a pic of these watches first then indulge all the bubble talk you want.