The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 December 2021, 01:57 AM   #91
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Way off. There are over 1,600 authorized Rolex retailer locations around the world.

But, that number is largely irrelevant to this discussion because ''total estimated production divided by total number of global AD locations" is a meaningless number.

Production is allocated strategically based on demand, growth potential, exchange rates, and probably 10 other factors.

China and United States alone account for app. 30% of global demand. The top six countries probably get over half of ALL production. Then, within each territory, shipments go to the best dealers. In the U.S., this means Watches of Switzerland in NYC probably gets 10X the shipments of the Rolex AD in Little Rock, Arkansas.

All stores are not equal.
Thank you for your correct information, not sure why anyone argues that there are less dealers than there are in the world…or that they all receive the same amount of merchandise.
I just happened to visit the local dealer in my new smaller market yesterday, one of just four in my state. Although anyone can wait on you there, two guys are the resident watch experts (Rolex, Tudor, and some fashion brand I’d never heard of). One of them told me freely that they are under the new mandate of keeping 25(?) pieces in stock although they are all in the safe. He asked what I was interested in, mentioned the red OP41, he said the only OP41 they had was black, he even checked to see if they had a red in any size but did not.
We discussed their allocation numbers versus my big city Boutique where I got my other pieces and they nodded along that they got probably 1/4 to 1/2 what the big dealer got. They do get some of all models though and said they would welcome me as a new customer. Time will tell, I am likely to get the OP from my previous dealer first but won’t count the new one out yet.
PS: all three of my last purchases arrived in the November-December timeframe so I do believe dealers get holiday bonuses.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 10:58 AM   #92
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Let’s circle back:The OP said he picked up 2 Rolex watches. Let’s see a pic of these watches first then indulge all the bubble talk you want.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 12:26 PM   #93
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Way off. There are over 1,600 authorized Rolex retailer locations around the world.

But, that number is largely irrelevant to this discussion because ''total estimated production divided by total number of global AD locations" is a meaningless number.

Production is allocated strategically based on demand, growth potential, exchange rates, and probably 10 other factors.

China and United States alone account for app. 30% of global demand. The top six countries probably get over half of ALL production. Then, within each territory, shipments go to the best dealers. In the U.S., this means Watches of Switzerland in NYC probably gets 10X the shipments of the Rolex AD in Little Rock, Arkansas.

All stores are not equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 04:58 AM   #94
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Let’s circle back:The OP said he picked up 2 Rolex watches. Let’s see a pic of these watches first then indulge all the bubble talk you want.
Great point. We were all spinning our wheels going down the rabbit hole and the obvious question was never addressed: it's been days and still no pics of the watches.

OP - Can we see some pics and celebrate with you?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 05:46 AM   #95
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
Got a TT oyster sky black dial from the AD last week. Now I wonder if Rolex will continue restricting supply and raising prices. I would’t mind LOL
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 05:56 AM   #96
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixanthonies View Post
Went to AD yesterday and picked up two new rolexes (OP 31 Green and a new Submariner No Date). We had a nice conversation and the salesperson mentioned they are now getting 25 Rolexes per week compared to 5 per week a month ago. He said getting Date Just were pretty easy now. Went back by AD today (my office is down the street) and he had a 126334 in the Window for sale. Also went to two Rolex non dealers and they said they have also heard supply is increasing alot.

Anyone else experiencing increased Retail options? Falling Grey Market prices?
All the AD’s by me get bigger shipments in December for the Holidays.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 06:27 AM   #97
novae500
"TRF" Member

Is the Bubble Bursting

Just returned back from my local AD. Totally empty today. A month ago there were 2 ladies PM watches diamond bezel and dials. Didn’t see my SA but another one. Tried on a couple of the exhibit ones.

Asked how is the supply? SA said they are getting more in each week but all allocated for. Too much demand than supply can keep up with. More GMTs than PM models she sees.

Still holding on to get the call for BLRO before end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 06:43 AM   #98
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I dont think the bubble is bursting simply because demand so far exceeds supply. Even if Rolex doubled their output tomorrow, there would likely still be tons of people wanting watches that cannot get them from an AD.

We might be at a point where ADs have full time staff they pay just to field Rolex phone calls.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 12:29 PM   #99
ks58
Banned

There isn't a bubble when there is so much demand.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 01:26 PM   #100
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks58 View Post
There isn't a bubble when there is so much demand.
Exactly.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 01:33 PM   #101
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Rolex is a rare company not increasing MRSP significantly with so much demand for their product .
They will do it over time ,10-20% every year .Increase % depending on reference.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 02:12 PM   #102
Recondope
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELINOCKS View Post
Rolex used to be the dapper’s brand. Now it has become the poor man’s brand. Just like the majority of people in forums like this one… should you all had settled for your casios maybe the people who can actually afford a luxury watch’d had gotten one
I mean absolutely no disrespect but that is a load of horse manure. Once upon a time Rolex watches were used as actual tools by real professionals such as divers and pilots. Now a days, it may be more about the status symbol and jewelry but that was not always the case.
Recondope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 02:12 PM   #103
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Rolex used to be the dapper’s brand. Now it has become the poor man’s brand. Just like the majority of people in forums like this one… should you all had settled for your casios maybe the people who can actually afford a luxury watch’d had gotten one
Old 6 December 2021, 02:14 PM   #104
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

:
Quote:
Solid first post.
dnd2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 05:24 PM   #105
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixanthonies View Post
Went to AD yesterday and picked up two new rolexes (OP 31 Green and a new Submariner No Date). We had a nice conversation and the salesperson mentioned they are now getting 25 Rolexes per week compared to 5 per week a month ago. He said getting Date Just were pretty easy now. Went back by AD today (my office is down the street) and he had a 126334 in the Window for sale. Also went to two Rolex non dealers and they said they have also heard supply is increasing alot.

Anyone else experiencing increased Retail options? Falling Grey Market prices?
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 06:59 PM   #106
GreatCircle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I meant no disrespect either, that’s how things are nowadays. Not to mention the grey ***. How many of you here “bought a submariner for this much and sold it a few days:months later for this much?” And for what? To make a couple of 4 digits. The so called investors. Gordon Ghekos.
Then you log in the forums and complain. “My ad this my ad that”.

Well……You do have a point here …
This actually could have been a secret post from the Rolex CEO expressing his frustration what is happening with “his” brand! ;)
It’s the most adequate resume of 75 percent of the topics over here I have ever read.
GreatCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 07:38 PM   #107
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
At my AD yesterday. The bubble is not bursting, it’s getting bigger. In the last year till now they have always had some models in the case. Little less very time I went in but still had some models. Yesterday when I went in even the ladies section was completely empty. Not one model in the case. When I asked my SA how demand was they said it’s getting worse.
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 07:50 PM   #108
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Quote:
I meant no disrespect either, that’s how things are nowadays. Not to mention the grey ***. How many of you here “bought a submariner for this much and sold it a few days:months later for this much?” And for what? To make a couple of 4 digits. The so called investors. Gordon Ghekos.
Then you log in the forums and complain. “My ad this my ad that”.
Ummm, I haven’t done this… How long have you been reading this forum for? I would say the vast majority of people on this forum are watch lovers and do not flip a sub for “4 digits” as you say… You’re posts are out of line especially for a noob
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 08:44 PM   #109
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Can't wait for the bubble to burst. Longing for the days I can walk into any AD to buy any watch I want at 20% off.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 09:46 PM   #110
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Can't wait for the bubble to burst. Longing for the days I can walk into any AD to buy any watch I want at 20% off.

Just for the sake of being able to buy more frivolous watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 01:27 AM   #111
ndong
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I can’t speak on bubble bursting but I walked in to a boutique in my area and walked out with a sub no date. No waiting for months.
ndong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 02:34 AM   #112
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndong View Post
I can’t speak on bubble bursting but I walked in to a boutique in my area and walked out with a sub no date. No waiting for months.
Any prior purchase history or nah?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 05:39 AM   #113
ndong
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Any prior purchase history or nah?
No purchase history and first time walking into the boutique. Granted it was my 40th birthday and the rep I was talking to at my boutique surprised me with it when I was thinking I’d have to wait a year or so.
ndong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 05:54 AM   #114
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

There is an excess demand, even the most inflated prices decrease, it will only create another peak. Rolex is a commodity and a good one, while most of the assets are depreciating with inflation, rate hikes, covid fears, Rolex became a safe heaven to park cash.
liberalclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 06:44 AM   #115
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
As they say, be careful what you wish for. The same market conditions that could result in that scenario would likely wreak havoc on the financial markets at the same time. So your 20% discount on the Rolex could represent a much larger haircut off the rest of your capital on a larger scale. I'd rather keep my capital and patiently wait my turn for the Rolex I want at MSRP.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 07:29 AM   #116
DRS Enabled
Banned

The bubble is bursting. Can confirm this is true. Went to my AD yesterday and got a Rainbow Daytona at list. No purchase history.
DRS Enabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 07:50 AM   #117
1sttimerolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No purchase history and first time walking into the boutique. Granted it was my 40th birthday and the rep I was talking to at my boutique surprised me with it when I was thinking I’d have to wait a year or so.

Have a similar story - a friend's wife called (no in-person visits) all the AD's in the area for a couple of months for my friend's upcoming 50th and left her info with a few of them. One of them called her back literally 2 days later telling her she can get the Batgirl if she shows up to get it that day. No prior purchase history or any relationship with the SA.

Granted this was August 2020, and may as well have been a fluke. But goes to show you just never know!
1sttimerolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 07:57 AM   #118
VG10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
First post for me….. this exact thing happened to me today. Walked in, no purchase history and they sold me a sub no date. I almost fell off the chair.
VG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 08:32 AM   #119
majidessa
"TRF" Member

It is either Rolex is delivering more watches or some are being extremely lucky, also it is possible that because of the negative marketing regarding Rolex availability people have started to look elsewhere as they are fed up with Rolex.

In a month or two I believe we shall have a clear picture of what's going on, personally I would be happier if more watches become available even if it means that secondary market prices will start to drop although I can tell from reading some of the posts that some are happy with current situation and don't want to lose money.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 08:45 AM   #120
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS Enabled View Post
The bubble is bursting. Can confirm this is true. Went to my AD yesterday and got a Rainbow Daytona at list. No purchase history.
Ban
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote