The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 December 2021, 09:58 AM   #1
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Got the call. Same watch, 2 ADs. Who do I buy from? Large-ish dealer or Family AD?

Hey everyone,

I’d love to get some input from everyone, including more experienced members on the forum.

So I’ve posted previously on how I had some trouble with ADs as a brand new buyer into the Rolex world, but found two ADs that seemed the nicest out of a bad bunch. I placed expressions of interest in for a Two Tone DJ 41 with Champagne Diamond Dial.

For context, it’s been 8 weeks since I contacted both ADs. I went and visited the larger AD, located in a high income area of London in person. But, the smaller, family owned jeweller type AD, I only ever spoke to over the phone. I’ve never been into the smaller AD’s store before. I contacted the smaller AD this morning, an hour after they open to check for any updates. The SA said he will definitely be receiving a delivery of stock this afternoon and it will contain a TT DJ in my preferred specification. He said he’d keep it aside for me to view this weekend. Oddly, I received an email from the sales manager from the larger AD in the afternoon (same day) saying they had the same model that I can have if still interested. These two ADs are not linked at all. They must have had their deliveries on the same day with similar stock?

The smaller AD sells jewellery and other brands like Tudor, omega etc (which doesn’t interest me), whereas the larger AD only sells Rolex and is a boutique. Now, given the fact I have more pieces on my wish list, who should I start my ‘purchase history’ with? I’m probably overthinking this but just want to see what more experienced buyers would do if they had the option to go to 2 different ADs that had the same watch. Given the fact that all Rolex models are difficult to obtain, I’m in a very privileged position. I haven’t spoken to either ADs enough to decide which I like more. The larger AD is over an hour away and the smaller AD is 15 minutes away.

Seems like the choice is obvious but would love opinions.

Many Thanks in advance,

MdotLife
Mdotlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 10:01 AM   #2
Jidonsu
"TRF" Member

Buy both. Sell one.

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400 | Rolex 114060 | Rolex 116710BLNR | Tudor Black Bay GMT | Tudor Pelagos Blue | IWC Mark XVIII Le Petit Prince |
Jidonsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 10:02 AM   #3
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
Buy both. Sell one.
Really? That did cross my mind but why?
Old 4 December 2021, 10:04 AM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I'd go smaller. They're closer to home, and more likely to work with you in future than a boutique, which will be unimpressed with your business unless you're a major player.
Old 4 December 2021, 10:06 AM   #5
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I'd go smaller. They're closer to home, and more likely to work with you in future than a boutique, which will be unimpressed with your business unless you're a major player.
Exactly what I was thinking. The smaller AD is so close to home and the small spend of the datejust won’t get me very far with a larger AD
Old 4 December 2021, 10:15 AM   #6
David5807
"TRF" Member

Smaller
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 10:15 AM   #7
TomCarter
"TRF" Member

I'd go with the boutique, you'll never get pressured into buying jewelry you don't want
TomCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 10:24 AM   #8
watchamatic
"TRF" Member

I agree with buying both and selling one. If you can do this and not lose any money, then you have start a relationship with both ADs. You ask for the next watch on your wish list and continue the relationship with whoever delivers first.
watchamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:20 AM   #9
t60
"TRF" Member

+1 on the boutique. I went to one and they never upsell anything. Its a super heavy investment to be a boutique and they will probably not go away anytime soon. The small family AD could lose status any day now.

As much as I love supporting small business, it just doesn't make sense if you're interested in other Rolex models. If the AD's status disappears, kiss that purchase history goodbye.
t60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:51 AM   #10
ks58
Banned

I'd go Boutique, but no idea how things work overseas in the UK.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:53 AM   #11
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Quote:
Absolutely not. They are closing mom and pop ADs left and right.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 12:01 PM   #12
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessEight View Post
In the UK?
Old 4 December 2021, 12:10 PM   #13
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t60 View Post
+1 on the boutique. I went to one and they never upsell anything. Its a super heavy investment to be a boutique and they will probably not go away anytime soon. The small family AD could lose status any day now.

As much as I love supporting small business, it just doesn't make sense if you're interested in other Rolex models. If the AD's status disappears, kiss that purchase history goodbye.
You make a compelling point, but if OP isn't a whale then what hope does he have of getting other models.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 04:16 PM   #14
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Smaller
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 04:36 PM   #15
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
The obvious choice to me is to buy from both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdotlife View Post
Hey everyone,

I’d love to get some input from everyone, including more experienced members on the forum.

So I’ve posted previously on how I had some trouble with ADs as a brand new buyer into the Rolex world, but found two ADs that seemed the nicest out of a bad bunch. I placed expressions of interest in for a Two Tone DJ 41 with Champagne Diamond Dial.

For context, it’s been 8 weeks since I contacted both ADs. I went and visited the larger AD, located in a high income area of London in person. But, the smaller, family owned jeweller type AD, I only ever spoke to over the phone. I’ve never been into the smaller AD’s store before. I contacted the smaller AD this morning, an hour after they open to check for any updates. The SA said he will definitely be receiving a delivery of stock this afternoon and it will contain a TT DJ in my preferred specification. He said he’d keep it aside for me to view this weekend. Oddly, I received an email from the sales manager from the larger AD in the afternoon (same day) saying they had the same model that I can have if still interested. These two ADs are not linked at all. They must have had their deliveries on the same day with similar stock?

The smaller AD sells jewellery and other brands like Tudor, omega etc (which doesn’t interest me), whereas the larger AD only sells Rolex and is a boutique. Now, given the fact I have more pieces on my wish list, who should I start my ‘purchase history’ with? I’m probably overthinking this but just want to see what more experienced buyers would do if they had the option to go to 2 different ADs that had the same watch. Given the fact that all Rolex models are difficult to obtain, I’m in a very privileged position. I haven’t spoken to either ADs enough to decide which I like more. The larger AD is over an hour away and the smaller AD is 15 minutes away.

Seems like the choice is obvious but would love opinions.

Many Thanks in advance,

MdotLife
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 04:42 PM   #16
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Here in Sydney you’d be better off buying from the large. Our small shops get very little stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 04:58 PM   #17
Blue Fin
"TRF" Member

Bigger boutique, more watches coming in.
I wouldn’t get both, return on that watch wouldn’t justify potential long term risk to future purchases. I’m not sure any margin would, but that’s the way I see it
Blue Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 05:04 PM   #18
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Wait until you see both watches. There are so many DJ combos, it’s unlikely both are identical dial, bracelet and bezel combos.

If this doesn’t help, pick the AD you get the best vibe from.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 05:06 PM   #19
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

See if you are going to after more Rolex. It may be hard for you to get from the BiG AD esp in London unless u re a big spender. Family owned AD may have a better chance but as other OPs said they may push you to buy other jewellery or may loss their AD suddenly.
However I will go for small AD after 2 years waiting from big AD and still nothing.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 05:09 PM   #20
waxy88
"TRF" Member

I am sure I know the AD store in London you are referring to and if I were in your position I would go with the smaller local AD. The reason being if any of the other watches on your wish list are hot piec3s (which currently is pretty much everything) then imagine the customers you will be competing with at the London AD?

The London AD, may get more pieces, but in that neck of the woods they have almost certainly got more heavy hitters too. The smaller AD, is a better proposition for future success IMO.
waxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 05:17 PM   #21
majidessa
"TRF" Member

The larger AD because one you have visited them and received an email from the sales manager which means you are now registered with them and if you make a purchase you will be considered a recurring customer with purchase history.

In addition, the DJ model that you want is easier to get than other variations especially steel, however, since this model is more expensive and less in demand you should make sure that you really build a good relationship with the seller and to make your wish for the next model a real thing.

What is next in your list should discussed openly and the seller should help guide you through what is realistically possible to get next.

Buying 2 watches and selling one will result in significant loss, also keep in mind that in recent years some of the smaller ADs are losing their Rolex business.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 05:24 PM   #22
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
If you can buy from both go for it and establish double purchase equity if you don’t mind dealing with selling the extra watch.
If not I would go with the smaller AD since they will likely go out of their way to help you with your other watches…
KY.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 07:11 PM   #23
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I didn’t realise smaller ADs were losing their AD status
Old 4 December 2021, 07:12 PM   #24
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessEight View Post
I wasn’t aware of this. The smaller AD has I think 4 or 5 branches but only two of them are Rolex ADs
Old 4 December 2021, 07:21 PM   #25
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
I wasn’t aware of this. The smaller AD has I think 4 or 5 branches but only two of them are Rolex ADs
Both those comment are from America, they probably didn't notice you're from the UK (happens a lot here), where the situation is different.
Old 4 December 2021, 07:33 PM   #26
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Both those comment are from America, they probably didn't notice you're from the UK (happens a lot here), where the situation is different.
Good point. The smaller AD has had their AD status since 2010 I believe. So not too long. I’m not sure if that makes a difference
Old 4 December 2021, 08:11 PM   #27
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
You make a compelling point, but if OP isn't a whale then what hope does he have of getting other models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fin View Post
Bigger boutique, more watches coming in.
I wouldn’t get both, return on that watch wouldn’t justify potential long term risk to future purchases. I’m not sure any margin would, but that’s the way I see it
Quote:
Originally Posted by majidessa View Post
The larger AD because one you have visited them and received an email from the sales manager which means you are now registered with them and if you make a purchase you will be considered a recurring customer with purchase history.

In addition, the DJ model that you want is easier to get than other variations especially steel, however, since this model is more expensive and less in demand you should make sure that you really build a good relationship with the seller and to make your wish for the next model a real thing.

What is next in your list should discussed openly and the seller should help guide you through what is realistically possible to get next.

Buying 2 watches and selling one will result in significant loss, also keep in mind that in recent years some of the smaller ADs are losing their Rolex business.
My issue with going with the larger AD is as others have said. Competing with whales within the same area and, of course, the overseas clients. The pieces I am currently eyeing up are a Steel sub, GMT BLNR, YG DD 40 (or 36 with Ombre emerald dial) and possibly a YG Sub (probably not if I bought the DD and steel sub). Also looking for maybe a Steel Sub/Sea-Dweller and a turquoise dial OP 31 for my parent's big birthday milestones in about 1-2 years time. All super hot pieces. What are the chances really of getting these within a reasonable timeframe from a high income area of London off the back of one TT DJ purchase? Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting to get them anytime soon. But what are the chances of getting them at all? Low I'd imagine in the current market.

However, as someone else mentioned, the smaller ADs may get lower stock of these models anyway. I know for a fact the smaller AD used to have lots of DDs before the hype but not sure about the others.
Old 4 December 2021, 08:16 PM   #28
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxy88 View Post
I am sure I know the AD store in London you are referring to and if I were in your position I would go with the smaller local AD. The reason being if any of the other watches on your wish list are hot piec3s (which currently is pretty much everything) then imagine the customers you will be competing with at the London AD?

The London AD, may get more pieces, but in that neck of the woods they have almost certainly got more heavy hitters too. The smaller AD, is a better proposition for future success IMO.
The London AD is Bucherer. Not the biggest AD in the country, but bigger then most.
Old 4 December 2021, 08:21 PM   #29
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Have to agree and smaller business have less need to play the AD games so widely broadcast by many on forum today.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 08:34 PM   #30
waxy88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The London AD is Bucherer. Not the biggest AD in the country, but bigger then most.
Good job I didn’t bet money on it, I thought it was the Rolex boutique on New Bond Street.
waxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote