The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 December 2021, 07:32 AM   #61
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Because you start a relationship with 2 AD's not 1 which increases your chances of getting more watches you want in the future.

Also, you may make a few quid on the one you sell to put towards the one you keep.

For the love of god stop giving the OP such bad and misguided advice.

He will NOT make a few quid on that watch. He will lose a few thousand.
If he's prepared to lose that amount to garner a relationship then that's his call.
But give him the correct facts to be able to make that decision. Don't just make stuff up!
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 07:49 AM   #62
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Got the call. Same watch, 2 ADs. Who do I buy from? Large-ish dealer or Family AD?

Boutique.

Some of the family run places insist on upsell and bundle for each and every watch. Unless the rest of your Wishlist is jewellery … if it is a list of professional models it will be a pain. That and if they lose their status you have to start again.

That said, don’t get labelled a flipper. If either found out you had bought and sold right away, you could very quickly get ignored on any express of interest.

I don’t know about Bucherer but have only had good service at WoS. What’s your long game? People eventually move on from
Rolex and that’s where that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 08:11 AM   #63
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanalasta View Post
Boutique.

Some of the family run places insist on upsell and bundle for each and every watch. Unless the rest of your Wishlist is jewellery … if it is a list of professional models it will be a pain. That and if they lose their status you have to start again.

That said, don’t get labelled a flipper. If either found out you had bought and sold right away, you could very quickly get ignored on any express of interest.

I don’t know about Bucherer but have only had good service at WoS. What’s your long game? People eventually move on from
Rolex and that’s where that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. Upsell and being forced to bundle in the small AD is a concern. However, one TT DJ purchase in a fairly large, corporate AD may not get me anywhere either compared to existing clients and ‘whales’. Also, this Bucherer branch does not sell anything except Rolex, no jewellery either. Seeing as there are supply issues with Rolex, there’s not much I can do to increase spend unless I buy models I don’t want.

My long game is to stick with Rolex for now. I want the TT DJ 41. I’m not buying it for no reason. It’s to celebrate a birthday. After this I’m after some steel pieces such as a sub and or a GMT. Then, some PM pieces like a DD40 or a YG Sub. Once I’ve had my fill of Rolex, I’d ideally like to move over to other brands such as AP and PP. But obviously those brands have the same demand as Rolex so it’s a no win.

WoS obviously seems the most obvious choice as they stock all these brands. However, the service I’ve received from their boutiques is appalling. Admittedly, I understand that some stores will be better than others but my issue with WoS is you can only express interest in one single store out of the entire fleet across the UK. I’ve also heard that spend with Rolex won’t count towards spend with brands such as AP and PP even within the same store so it’s back to square one anyway.
Mdotlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 08:42 AM   #64
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Man that’s a tough call. You’ll probably have to buy jewellery and such from smaller AD. Having said that you’ll probably have to buy lesser in demand Rolex watches you may not necessarily want from larger AD. Which do you prefer to do I suppose might answer your question. Also, the issue of the smaller AD losing its licence is a factor. Your timeline maybe 3-5 years to collect all your pieces as well. Will the small AD lose its status in that time? Or is going grey still a possibility to pick up the pieces you want.

Another thought.., will you be able to refer friends and family more so to the family AD (buying jewellery and watches) or larger AD (buying just Rolex watches) that might help you move up the lists.

I had a similar choice to make and I chose the family AD. Fortunately I picked up two pieces and hopefully will get a BLRO next year. I’m gambling that the smaller AD doesn’t lose their status. Not to mention I was treated much better by the family AD and that’s why I went with them.
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 08:44 AM   #65
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdotlife View Post
Yes. Upsell and being forced to bundle in the small AD is a concern. However, one TT DJ purchase in a fairly large, corporate AD may not get me anywhere either compared to existing clients and ‘whales’. Also, this Bucherer branch does not sell anything except Rolex, no jewellery either. Seeing as there are supply issues with Rolex, there’s not much I can do to increase spend unless I buy models I don’t want.

My long game is to stick with Rolex for now. I want the TT DJ 41. I’m not buying it for no reason. It’s to celebrate a birthday. After this I’m after some steel pieces such as a sub and or a GMT. Then, some PM pieces like a DD40 or a YG Sub. Once I’ve had my fill of Rolex, I’d ideally like to move over to other brands such as AP and PP. But obviously those brands have the same demand as Rolex so it’s a no win.

WoS obviously seems the most obvious choice as they stock all these brands. However, the service I’ve received from their boutiques is appalling. Admittedly, I understand that some stores will be better than others but my issue with WoS is you can only express interest in one single store out of the entire fleet across the UK. I’ve also heard that spend with Rolex won’t count towards spend with brands such as AP and PP even within the same store so it’s back to square one anyway.
(sighs)

It's about building a relationship. Not only spend history. And you can only express interest on "one" in demand watch per chain wherever you are. Service improves dramatically once you have that 'relationship'. Perhaps find someone to introduce you to their preferred boutique. That said spending 'potential' also counts.

You are unlikely to be allocated a GMT or a DD40 in a timely manner (if at all) no matter where you go without an established relationship spanning year(s). Plenty of other similar people ahead of you. Despite the means to buy into PM models. Unless you go grey.

What you 'hear' on Internet forums isn't always what happens in real life. The long game would be pick a boutique where you can begin that relationship.

After you develop these relationships is when you realise which boutiques mess you around with upselling and which ones actually are worth fostering. It is worth having relationships with more than one boutique but which ones will be up to you. However, sometimes bundling will get you the watch you desire ahead of a dealership that doesn't. I don't however personally think highly of it.

There is no damage done by turning down a two tone DJ41. As a first time customer they'll accept you got it elsewhere.

Best wishes for a Christmas season birthday.
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 08:52 AM   #66
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Boutique for sure. I have a boutique i work with and have a really great connection, and a local AD. Boutique came through within 2-3 weeks, AD has given me nothing. Nice part about a boutique, they only sell Rolex. They are used to guys that want multiple watches and you don’t have to worry about needing to buy jewelry if you don’t know someone.

Boutiques are going nowhere, you never know what can happen to an AD, regardless of size.

The only caveat would be if you were in the market for jewelry or an engagement ring. That could be a nice purchase at an AD to get what you want.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 09:00 AM   #67
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Kinda weird to me that you never visited the small AD store in person, even though it is much closer to where you live. That being said, the fact that they called you back for the model you wanted after just a conversation on a phone tells me that they are willing to entertain you as a customer. I would go there first, try to make a good first impression to the SA and express your desire to get more pieces in the future and see how they respond. If the experience is positive and they don't pressure you into buying non-Rolex stuff you don't want, get the DJ41 and go from there. Put your name down on the Sub as they are produced in larger numbers and they are not as hard to get as a GMT Master or Daytona. Forget the boutique route as far as I'm concerned, I would rather risk the smaller AD to lose its Rolex status than trying to compete with the big fishes hoarding all the hot stuff in a major city like London.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 09:01 AM   #68
Tanvo
"TRF" Member

smaller
Tanvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 09:05 AM   #69
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanalasta View Post
(sighs)

It's about building a relationship. Not only spend history. And you can only express interest on "one" in demand watch per chain wherever you are. Service improves dramatically once you have that 'relationship'. Perhaps find someone to introduce you to their preferred boutique. That said spending 'potential' also counts.

You are unlikely to be allocated a GMT or a DD40 in a timely manner (if at all) no matter where you go without an established relationship spanning year(s). Plenty of other similar people ahead of you. Despite the means to buy into PM models. Unless you go grey.

What you 'hear' on Internet forums isn't always what happens in real life. The long game would be pick a boutique where you can begin that relationship.

After you develop these relationships is when you realise which boutiques mess you around with upselling and which ones actually are worth fostering. It is worth having relationships with more than one boutique but which ones will be up to you. However, sometimes bundling will get you the watch you desire ahead of a dealership that doesn't. I don't however personally think highly of it.

There is no damage done by turning down a two tone DJ41. As a first time customer they'll accept you got it elsewhere.

Best wishes for a Christmas season birthday.
Thank you very much for the wishes! And your advice has been duly noted.

I am leaning towards the family AD. Something to add. When I got the email from the large AD’s sales manager informing me about the DJ, I replied telling her how happy I was that she emailed. She then replied saying she was thrilled I was happy and asked when I wanted to come in but she said she wouldn’t be there to assist me. She would refer me to her colleague who will look after me instead. Now when I replied telling her the time I wanted to come, I also asked to confirm it was the exact spec (fluted bezel, jubilee etc). I received no reply. Not even a reply to confirm the appointment. She’s probably busy and forgot but still, perhaps I’m nit-picking, but little things like that make me want to go to the smaller, more local AD.

In contrast, the SA from the smaller AD advised me to book an appointment online on their website. I did, for Saturday. I got a call back within 5 minutes telling me he received the reservation but advised me to re-book as he wouldn’t personally be there to serve me. That, in itself, has helped me make up my mind.

With regards to your comment on building a relationship, I am always in the town where this AD is located. It will be significantly easier to pop in for a chat. I’m going to go with my gut on this one
Old 5 December 2021, 09:13 AM   #70
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
Kinda weird to me that you never visited the small AD store in person, even though it is much closer to where you live. That being said, the fact that they called you back for the model you wanted after just a conversation on a phone tells me that they are willing to entertain you as a customer. I would go there first, try to make a good first impression to the SA and express your desire to get more pieces in the future and see how they respond. If the experience is positive and they don't pressure you into buying non-Rolex stuff you don't want, get the DJ41 and go from there. Put your name down on the Sub as they are produced in larger numbers and they are not as hard to get as a GMT Master or Daytona. Forget the boutique route as far as I'm concerned, I would rather risk the smaller AD to lose its Rolex status than trying to compete with the big fishes hoarding all the hot stuff in a major city like London.
I wasn’t in the market previously for a Rolex. This is my first one. I’m young (30). Also, I have tried to enter that store in the past to browse but I was always refused entry to the Rolex section by the man on the door. He was always kind of snobbish. The excuse was always “they’re busy with appointments, no walk ins. If you want to wait, it will be 45mins - 1 hour”. So I didn’t go back for a while.

So I phoned them 8 weeks ago and the SA added me onto the list for the DJ41. He did also ask me where I lived. When he heard I was local, he seemed to respond positively. Also, he didn’t call me. I called him. I phoned him randomly one morning to check for an update. He said he will be receiving a delivery of new stock in the afternoon and there’s a DJ with my spec if I want it. If I hadn’t called him that morning, would he have called me? Who knows. But, as you said, he’s entertaining me even though I’ve never set foot in the store. My only contact with this AD has been over the phone. That, to me, is a very positive sign in this market.
Old 5 December 2021, 09:26 AM   #71
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Boutique for sure. I have a boutique i work with and have a really great connection, and a local AD. Boutique came through within 2-3 weeks, AD has given me nothing. Nice part about a boutique, they only sell Rolex. They are used to guys that want multiple watches and you don’t have to worry about needing to buy jewelry if you don’t know someone.

Boutiques are going nowhere, you never know what can happen to an AD, regardless of size.

The only caveat would be if you were in the market for jewelry or an engagement ring. That could be a nice purchase at an AD to get what you want.
You also make a convincing argument. There’s no single answer. One person’s experience of an AD can vary from another. It’s hard to say. My concern is the high income aspect of London. I was in that part of London a few weeks ago. Lots of overseas tourists have come here for Xmas. So my competition is probably fairly high? But I still got the call regarding the datejust. However I did tell the sales manager it was for a special occasion, my birthday. If I approach her for a more difficult to obtain piece without an occasion, would it be entertained? Who knows.
Old 5 December 2021, 09:50 AM   #72
Trek360
"TRF" Member

Smaller AD. Bottom line you will likely get better service, have closer proximity to build a relationship, and may get better future offerings without the competition a larger boutique may bring. Good luck!
Trek360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 11:37 AM   #73
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdotlife View Post
I’m going to go with my gut on this one
Great advice here from all angles and happy to see it's helped you with your decision. Sounds like you're taking the best approach and good luck with the acquisition!
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 07:55 PM   #74
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
Great advice here from all angles and happy to see it's helped you with your decision. Sounds like you're taking the best approach and good luck with the acquisition!
Thank you very much. Hopefully I will have an incoming post soon!
Old 5 December 2021, 08:04 PM   #75
Tikandtokalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB41 M79540
You don't have to bundle anything they both offered the watch so the deal is offered.
It's just a matter of are you a collector , flipper , or simply want the watch to enjoy.
If it's the latter then it makes sense like any other shop selling beans what shop gives you the best feeling and service.
Old 5 December 2021, 09:51 PM   #76
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I'd go smaller. They're closer to home, and more likely to work with you in future than a boutique, which will be unimpressed with your business unless you're a major player.
Agree with this. A boutique will have much more inventory but many more big clients they will need to feed. If you can build a personal relationship with an individual at the smaller AD it may take longer but you will most likely be in a smaller pool of clients…enjoy the watch whichever you decide
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 10:07 PM   #77
longimanus88
"TRF" Member

My number one criteria would be how I felt with the people. If both were nice, I'd go with the smaller AD. Go where you had the best feeling with the salesperson.
People say the family business might close or loose their Rolex AD status, but the turnover of salesmen at the big boutique might be higher, and you might end up in 3 years with someone different who doesn't even know you.
In any case, don't buy both to sell one. Eventually, the will both know it (don't imagine they don't have contact with each other) and you'll be blacklisted from both.
When I was in the market for my 116610LV, I bought it from a small AD. Two weeks later, I received a call from a former salesman from this AD who had moved to the official boutique. I politely declined their offer. I would never have bought it to resell it. First because I preferred to offer the opportunity to someone who wanted it as badly as I wanted it. Secondly, this be beneficial in the future, if I ever have to go into this big boutique, because they know I'm not a flipper.
longimanus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 10:10 PM   #78
karleone
"TRF" Member

A TT diamond is the kind of watch an AD or boutique would be very happy to sell as it’s not a hot watch and not in high demand. Might be worth checking with the two stores who this purchase would help you getting your next hot piece and then chose from which store to buy. If you can tell from one store or the other that getting a desired piece would be very difficult then try with the other one.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 10:10 PM   #79
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessEight View Post
Absolutely not. They are closing mom and pop ADs left and right.
Fully agree. Lost my favorite AD that has been very good to me a year ago.

I would personally buy from the boutique.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 10:41 PM   #80
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Try for a discount and see who has the best offer!!!!

Actually, depending where your funds are, the boutique likely has interest free which couldn't actually make the purchase cheaper if you're getting interest on your money..
Old 5 December 2021, 11:10 PM   #81
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
Buy both. Sell one.
Agreed…
Old 5 December 2021, 11:12 PM   #82
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
Try for a discount and see who has the best offer!!!!

Actually, depending where your funds are, the boutique likely has interest free which couldn't actually make the purchase cheaper if you're getting interest on your money..
You won’t get interest free on Rolex now, I’m pretty sure.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 11:15 PM   #83
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d go with the one you feel most comfortable with. In either case I prefer speaking to the owner if possible and that may be easier at the smaller AD
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 11:30 PM   #84
SpiritSoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio A500
Rolex Boutique in New Bond Street is part of WoS.
SpiritSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 03:39 AM   #85
MJZRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I'd go smaller. They're closer to home, and more likely to work with you in future than a boutique, which will be unimpressed with your business unless you're a major player.
I would patronize the family business. It’s good to support their business and may lead to better dividends in the future.
MJZRolex is offline   Reply With Quote