The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 February 2020, 12:08 AM   #1
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Incoming! The moon is blue...

Finally got my hands on this beauty after months of contemplation and waiting for the right deal. I've have found myself drawn to the moon phase complication for some unexplained reason. I know I don't really NEED to know the phase of the moon but man I just love having that beautiful function on a watch and I think Omega has done it better than any other watch in the world with this chrono. Add the date function, automatic 60 hour movement, ceramic bezel, co-axial escapement, sapphire front and back, and this gorgeous and comfortable blue leather strap and I could no longer resist. So far I'm "over the moon" with it.

Quick shout out and thank you to fellow member jburson250 for helping me out with a bunch of questions and for steering me towards a very good deal on this watch second hand.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 12:37 AM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Wow, nice watch! Congratulations
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 12:42 AM   #3
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations. My favorite part is the date crescent and moon complication.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 12:46 AM   #4
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Love that blue....so so stunning. Congratulations on your latest Speedy!
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 01:25 AM   #5
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the comments. One thing I didn't mention is in a video review they mentioned something I had never thought of before. You can used the 3 o'clock chrono subdial as a GMT feature to capture a second time zone. Basically if I'm flying to the west coast tomorrow, I can start the chrono up at noon or midnight eastern time and just leave it running. When I reset my time to 3 hours earlier, the subdial continues to read my home time. The watch-geek side of me thought that was freaking cool :) I'm going to try that. Always found the 24 hour hand nice to have, but not the quickest to read on a typical GMT watch. This watch basically has a small watch within a watch. Neat! Thought maybe someone else out there with a minutes/hours subdial might find this useful
Old 4 February 2020, 03:17 AM   #6
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Congrats! A very special watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 03:21 AM   #7
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Beautiful. Congratulations.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 04:37 AM   #8
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Very nice watch indeed and suits you well. How do you find the size?
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 05:00 AM   #9
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Hell yeah that’s awesome

I feel like the moonphase complication is overlooked and under appreciated
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 05:01 AM   #10
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Thanks for the comments. One thing I didn't mention is in a video review they mentioned something I had never thought of before. You can used the 3 o'clock chrono subdial as a GMT feature to capture a second time zone. Basically if I'm flying to the west coast tomorrow, I can start the chrono up at noon or midnight eastern time and just leave it running. When I reset my time to 3 hours earlier, the subdial continues to read my home time. The watch-geek side of me thought that was freaking cool :) I'm going to try that. Always found the 24 hour hand nice to have, but not the quickest to read on a typical GMT watch. This watch basically has a small watch within a watch. Neat! Thought maybe someone else out there with a minutes/hours subdial might find this useful

I’ve read about that before. You’re right! That’s awesome.

It’s like you get a gmt complication for free!
Old 4 February 2020, 05:08 AM   #11
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Very nice watch indeed and suits you well. How do you find the size?
I would say overall size is just slightly smaller than my SD43, however the appearance in terms of size fits closer to my Tudor GMT. For my ~7.25 mm wrist it fits great. I always found the moonwatch to wear a little smaller than I would like, so this is close to perfect for me.

While the overall case diameter when measured from the back of the case is indeed just over 44 mm, the dial/bezel size, which is really the part your eyes see and think of for how large a watch looks measure out at right around 40-41 mm. So it definitely LOOKS smaller than my SD43 even though it measures a little bigger in case diameter. Typical of Omega their watches always wear smaller than the stated size.

As for with thickness of the watch, it is definitely not a small watch but does not feel or look like you are wearing a 16.8 mm watch either in my opinion. 2-3 mm of that thickness are the sapphire crystals, and the case back sinks nicely into the wrist. Your eyes notice the brushed sides of the case, not the case back. So all-in-all it wears more like a 14-15 mm watch in terms of thickness. Just my opinion, others may disagree.
Old 4 February 2020, 05:11 AM   #12
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
I’ve read about that before. You’re right! That’s awesome.

It’s like you get a gmt complication for free!
That's what I was thinking. I was like, dang that never even occurred to me. Was like a bonus offer! Probably not important to most folks but I can't wait to try it on my next trip across time zones!
Old 4 February 2020, 07:55 AM   #13
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. I was like, dang that never even occurred to me. Was like a bonus offer! Probably not important to most folks but I can't wait to try it on my next trip across time zones!

Haha awesome
Old 4 February 2020, 08:02 AM   #14
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Like the blue!
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 11:28 AM   #15
jburson250
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Congratulations Mike on a gorgeous timepiece, well bought.

Thanks for your kind comment about me in Post #1. I'm very pleased to have helped you.

Explorer 214270.
Sea-Dweller 126600.
Sea-Dweller Deepsea 126660 Black.
Submariner 5512.
PAM 514 Radiomir 1940.
Railmaster XXL 2806.52.37.
Speedmaster Moonphase 304.33.44.52.01.001.
RIP JJ
jburson250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 11:29 AM   #16
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Very cool watch! Congrats!
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 05:45 PM   #17
shalako
"TRF" Member

I bought the same watch in the January sales, an incredible Omega Speedmaster and great value considering the quality and features, the Buzz Aldrin footprint is a nice touch. The Blue dial is magnificent and the one to get IMHO.

Stock picture.
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 09:32 PM   #18
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 10:11 PM   #19
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburson250 View Post
Congratulations Mike on a gorgeous timepiece, well bought.

Thanks for your kind comment about me in Post #1. I'm very pleased to have helped you.
Thanks Jim. Appreciate everything. The guys over at Bernard were great and very professional. The watch is in near perfect condition just as they described and the price I got was the best I have seen anywhere. The watch is a looker for sure!

I looked through some of your posts a week or two ago to see a photo of your moonphase and noticed a picture of you in the Navy. I wanted to thank you for your service!
Old 4 February 2020, 10:16 PM   #20
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalako View Post
I bought the same watch in the January sales, an incredible Omega Speedmaster and great value considering the quality and features, the Buzz Aldrin footprint is a nice touch. The Blue dial is magnificent and the one to get IMHO.

Stock picture.
Agree, I'm thrilled to have all these complications in this gorgeous package. I love my Speedy Pro but missed having some of these goodies. The AR coated sapphire looks amazing and perfectly frames the sunburst dial. Omega really put out a beautiful watch. I have a feeling my other sports watches may be spending some extended time in the safe.

I'm probably going to add the bracelet for summer wear. The leather strap feels terrific and looks great too, but in the mid-atlantic summer heat I will destroy it in no time. Also want to be able to swim with it (added bonus is 100m water resistance rather than the 50m the Speedy Pro provides). You thinking the same thing or are you sticking with the strap?
Old 4 February 2020, 10:35 PM   #21
jburson250
"TRF" Member

Thanks Mike. The Navy was long ago - joined in '66, and stayed eight years. The two photos in that post were shot on Kodachrome with my Nikon F - how's that for ancient?

I'm enjoying my Speedy Moonphase, too. Here it is with the only other Omega in my stable, a Railmaster 49.2 mm from 2004:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1757.JPG (176.0 KB, 219 views)

Explorer 214270.
Sea-Dweller 126600.
Submariner 5512.
PAM 514 Radiomir 1940.
RIP JJ
Old 4 February 2020, 10:43 PM   #22
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburson250 View Post
Thanks Mike. The Navy was long ago - joined in '66, and stayed eight years. The two photos in that post were shot on Kodachrome with my Nikon F - how's that for ancient?

I'm enjoying my Speedy Moonphase, too. Here it is with the only other Omega in my stable, a Railmaster 49.2 mm from 2004:
That Railmaster is really cool looking.

My step-father was in the Navy around the same time. Joined in late 60's. I think he was stationed down in Norfolk but I'll have to ask. He always tells me those were the best years of his life.
Old 4 February 2020, 11:22 PM   #23
jburson250
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That Railmaster is really cool looking.

My step-father was in the Navy around the same time. Joined in late 60's. I think he was stationed down in Norfolk but I'll have to ask. He always tells me those were the best years of his life.
Yep, the RM's a distinctive piece. One of my favorites, for sure. I've never seen another in the wild.

Omega still makes a 49.2mm watch - same case design - a white gold Aqua Terra:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...23153491004001

After several schools to become a nuclear propulsion plant operator, I went to the USS Enterprise, then instructor duty in NY, and finished up on USS Long Beach.

Explorer 214270.
Sea-Dweller 126600.
Submariner 5512.
PAM 514 Radiomir 1940.
RIP JJ
Old 5 February 2020, 03:39 AM   #24
shalako
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree, I'm thrilled to have all these complications in this gorgeous package. I love my Speedy Pro but missed having some of these goodies. The AR coated sapphire looks amazing and perfectly frames the sunburst dial. Omega really put out a beautiful watch. I have a feeling my other sports watches may be spending some extended time in the safe.

I'm probably going to add the bracelet for summer wear. The leather strap feels terrific and looks great too, but in the mid-atlantic summer heat I will destroy it in no time. Also want to be able to swim with it (added bonus is 100m water resistance rather than the 50m the Speedy Pro provides). You thinking the same thing or are you sticking with the strap?
At the moment I have these two other Omega’s on bracelet, in fact the moonphase is my only strap watch in my whole collection at the moment so will probably stick with it for now even though it does look good on bracelet.
One thing I would like to know is whether the strap is genuine alligator or leather embossed as I’ve heard both descriptions for it?

shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 03:52 AM   #25
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalako View Post
One thing I would like to know is whether the strap is genuine alligator or leather embossed as I’ve heard both descriptions for it?
I've heard conflicting descriptions as well. The Omega site just says leather, but says the same thing for the Moonwatch alligator strap.

I have a Moonwatch on an alligator strap and I can report that this strap does feel different. The Moonwatch strap was much stiffer and would bend differently based on different areas of the strap. Took quite a bit more breaking in than I expected.

This strap on the Moonphase seems softer, more pliable, and I have to say more comfortable. The scales look a little different as well. My money is on the Moonphase being on a cowhide leather. But again, on the wrist it definitely feels better than my gator strap.