The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 3 July 2020, 03:50 AM   #61
kearez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
Same reason doctors and lawyers are more likely to get accepted to buy into high-end co-op apartment complexes than people who might be more affluent but have business cards indicating less social prestige.

PP spends a lot of effort and money on maintaining the Veblen good status of its watches. What would otherwise be the point of restricting supply, having some models being available by application only, etc? Apparently they even buy back watches from the market in order to identify watch flipping customers and ADs*. Having social prestige as one of the discrimination criteria for its desired customer base isn’t suprising when put into this context. Not saying it’s right or wrong, it’s just how they choose to conduct business.

* https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/12/s...rry-stern.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrc36 View Post
The Patek representative in HK actually calls the number on the card, to make sure it is genuine and that the person still works there.

If you've retired by the time they call, too bad - they will most likely refuse the sale. If they can't verify your identity or suspect you have a fake card, they will also reject the sale. This was told to me in person at one of the private dinners with the Patek representative (they held beautiful dinners for 8-10 customers only, with no partners/guests allowed). Everybody at the dinner was either a doctor or a lawyer - and all of them from the upper end of the medical/legal market.

Patek's representative in HK assumes that doctors/lawyers who work in the upper end of the market are less likely to flip and are allowed to jump the queue.

If you don't have a good business card, don't worry - buy a few dress watches and you'll be placed on the list.

Thanks for the replies guys. It makes sense. Patek wants to display the illusion that your c-suite owns a Patek, as do the best doctors and lawyers. Only allocate the hot pieces to your preferred clients and vips.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 03:54 AM   #62
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Same reason doctors and lawyers are more likely to get accepted to buy into high-end co-op apartment complexes than people who might be more affluent but have business cards indicating less social prestige.

PP spends a lot of effort and money on maintaining the Veblen good status of its watches. What would otherwise be the point of restricting supply, having some models being available by application only, etc? Apparently they even buy back watches from the market in order to identify watch flipping customers and ADs*. Having social prestige as one of the discrimination criteria for its desired customer base isn’t suprising when put into this context. Not saying it’s right or wrong, it’s just how they choose to conduct business.

* https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/12/s...rry-stern.html
Interesting NY Time article says Thierry Stern is aware of the flippers and ADs may be a problem. It is certainly in the ADs best interest to vet the buyers in advance to make sure buyer is a not a flipper. Thierry Stern's seem to state they are closing down ADs who sell to a lot to flippers.

I would predict that we have a large numbers of flippers who are reading these threads and even some who are actively contributing with posts. It is probably not a conincidence that there seem to be a huge number of relatively new registered members here on TRF since the Nautilus craze (as well as SS Rolex craze) started about 2-3 years ago. And each month we have several new threads from the newer members asking "how do I get on a list for a SS Nautilus".
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 04:31 AM   #63
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

I also have reached the point where I can buy more or less anything from the PP catalogue waiting only the time taken for the next 1-2 pieces that come in to my AD.
I’ve been a customer since 2011.
My AD even suggested an Aquanaut for my wife (men’s one) or Nautilus. But it’s precisely because I’m not especially interested in the “hot” watches that I can get what I want and there’s no ‘waiting list.’ I go in to the dealer talking about how I missed out on the 5370p talk about the Celestial or 5204 and buy AC’s, PC, and previously bought a 5270 and a Chrono and have a 5127 and 5070 etc....

Sports watches have barely figured. As I’ve recounted here before I got a 5711 with an offhand remark to that I should “probably get their cheapest bracelet watch” and got a 5980/1r because I needed a big gold watch to replace my Gold Rolex.

What I’m trying to say is, it’s because I don’t care for the “hot” models that I can get them. Oh and it helps that I’ve never sold anything I bought from him either.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 08:26 AM   #64
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Missed out on 5370p? My AD has 1 sitting in the case for months. And both 5204R and 1R. They are all available, waiting for you to buy.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 06:09 PM   #65
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Missed out on 5370p? My AD has 1 sitting in the case for months. And both 5204R and 1R. They are all available, waiting for you to buy.
I only buy from MY AD.
There’s a lesson in that....
Old 3 July 2020, 06:22 PM   #66
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
I only buy from MY AD.
There’s a lesson in that....
Keen to hear the story. The 5370p has been in production for 5 years, and as you asserted, you can get all the watches you want from your AD. How did you miss it?
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 08:28 PM   #67
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Keen to hear the story. The 5370p has been in production for 5 years, and as you asserted, you can get all the watches you want from your AD. How did you miss it?
It’s no mystery.
I didn’t love it initially and more importantly, I didn’t have the money at the time!!!
Old 5 July 2020, 02:52 AM   #68
gotmilk
"TRF" Member

Was told I was on the list for a nautilus at the patek salon. It been 11 months. Now im worried that there's no such thing as a list haha
gotmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 02:59 AM   #69
Pateks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmilk View Post
Was told I was on the list for a nautilus at the patek salon. It been 11 months. Now im worried that there's no such thing as a list haha
There isn’t. If you want to get bumped up, buy something for your wife and kids. Magically your turn for Nautilus will come much quicker.
Pateks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 03:05 AM   #70
gotmilk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateks View Post
There isn’t. If you want to get bumped up, buy something for your wife and kids. Magically your turn for Nautilus will come much quicker.
Guess ill think about picking up a calatrava. I'll save the 5170p for more formal occasions.
Old 5 July 2020, 03:12 AM   #71
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bumped up on what if there isn’t a list? I think beyond the semantics there is a list of people who are being prioritized for certain watches. It’s just that the order of names on said list has little or nothing to do with how long ago these people expressed an interest in buying the watch.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 03:43 AM   #72
gotmilk
"TRF" Member

Question is how much more do i need to spend to get it sooner haha
Old 5 July 2020, 03:52 AM   #73
Pateks
Banned

Quote:
Bumped up on what if there isn’t a list? I think beyond the semantics there is a list of people who are being prioritized for certain watches. It’s just that the order of names on said list has little or nothing to do with how long ago these people expressed an interest in buying the watch.

Coreect- hence no list.
Pateks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 03:58 AM   #74
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Coreect- hence no list.
Well, it’s not like dealers aren’t open about prioritizing good customers when allocating popular models. Hence I think it’s a bit unfair to imply that they’re outright lying about there being a list. Waitlisting is not the same thing as a queue.
Old 5 July 2020, 03:58 AM   #75
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmilk View Post
Question is how much more do i need to spend to get it sooner haha
How long is a rope?
Old 5 July 2020, 04:32 AM   #76
M.B.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How long is a rope?
That is the single, most Swedish comment I have ever read on TRF!
"Hur långt är ett snöre" - does it even exist (as a common-use thing) in English?

On-topic, I can confirm that showing real interest and enthusiasm with a specific AD can drastically change the playing field.
It doesn't necessarily have to mean overspending either. I for example joined an enthusiasts "Ask the watchmaker" event at the AD for 0€, which I don't think many of the "casual buyers" would.
I mingled around with other collectors, built connections with the staff and had an overall great time discussing watches.
That way we got better introduced, and from that point it was easier to build a relationship - based on my real interest, rather than just barging in and directly asking for a SS PP.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
M.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 04:39 AM   #77
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.B. View Post
[...] based on my real interest, rather than just barging in and directly asking for a sports steal PP.

I don’t think any AD would like it if you asked to steal a PP, not least a steel PP

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 04:41 AM   #78
M.B.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
I don’t think any AD would like it if you asked to steal a PP, not least a steel PP
The downside of typing from the mobile and a Swedish keyboard, you always end up with the most unfortunate autocorrects!

M.B. is offline   Reply With Quote