The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 July 2020, 07:58 AM   #91
Jefferyasher
"TRF" Member

I have a 14060m and it is hardly noticed, except for the crown on the clasp at times. If I had a sub with a date, I think that would be noticed more.
Jefferyasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 08:08 AM   #92
greengold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGu View Post
Do people notice your sub? I’m still trying to hunt for a sub no date at retail (high hopes I know) I am a big fan of under the radar watches and I purely love Rolex for the quality. I never wear anything flashy as I don’t like to attract too much attention.

Curious to know the experience you had with your sub as a daily wearer.
No mate not in UK wore a Hulk for 3 years didnt have a single comment
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 08:15 AM   #93
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
Every time I noticed a Sub on someone, it has been an Invicta
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 08:30 AM   #94
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

There are Rolex wearers on every block in nyc.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 08:33 AM   #95
doramas
Banned

Let's see if we realize that people don't care about watches
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 10:59 AM   #96
moneymike83
Banned

Watch: Sd43
I own the sub date 2 years and is my go 2 watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
moneymike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 12:40 PM   #97
Heimdall
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR SD4K PP 5167A
So common in HK that nobody notices or cares about a Sub.
Heimdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 01:08 PM   #98
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by zion_rasta View Post
Every time I noticed a Sub on someone, it has been an Invicta
Old 4 July 2020, 01:22 PM   #99
DoubleJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 & 16570
I’ve got a 114060 and think I had one comment on it. That was just because the light reflected off it and into the persons eyes.

DoubleJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 01:44 PM   #100
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
In 40 years of wearing Subs, SD's and GMT's I could count on one hand the number of times someone has commented to me about them.
HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 01:46 PM   #101
Gasguzlr
"TRF" Member

I’ve had a few people comment on my bluesy, but the only other comment was from a salesperson at a mid-level AD in the Cancun airport. He saw my Hulk and laughed, thought it was a fake, as Rolex “don’t make green watches”.
Gasguzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 05:05 PM   #102
BlueRoman
"TRF" Member

Whether strangers comment on your watch or not has more to do with you than your watch. People see you watch then look at you and decide if they want to talk to you or not. This is why some guys get comments on the same watch that other guys don’t. If I see a grumpy old guy wearing a Rolex I won’t say anything but if I see a friendly looking younger guy wearing the same watch I’d be more inclined to strike up a convo.

I had a friend drive my car a few times and he told me people kept coming up to talk to him about it at service stations. Never happens when I drive the car. I even stopped for fuel with a friend in my car once and someone came up to my friend in the passenger seat to talk about the car even though I was driving it! I just don’t look approachable. And if people never comment on your watch neither do you! If you think no one sees it just because no one says anything you’re naive.
BlueRoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 05:15 PM   #103
Ihatecheese
Banned

Yeh people really don't give a monkeys about watches. Unless they are trying to rob you.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 05:18 PM   #104
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

no one really cares what watch you wear unless they are salesmen/women or WIS
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 05:36 PM   #105
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtln View Post
I think this is spot on.

Those that are saying no one notices, how do you know? Just because no one comments doesn't mean they didn't notice it.

The Sub is such an iconic watch, it would be hard not to notice it, even for the general public with limited watch knowledge.

I personally notice alot of Rolexes on my commute to work, I however, choose not to comment on it, doesn't mean I didn't notice it.
Very true! I notice others watches all of the time, but I never say anything. Sometimes people don't like talking about their watches, so it's best to not say anything.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 05:49 PM   #106
2mgversed
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN/PAM560
I'm a physician and I do a lot of work with my hands. Decent amount of compliments from patients. Also, a lot of doctors are watch guys, so we notice.
2mgversed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 06:01 PM   #107
Redadmiral2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660 D-Blue
I’ve had more people notice my oyster perpetual 39mm in white than my hulk or sky dweller
Redadmiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 06:03 PM   #108
LTlhr
"TRF" Member

My Mother's consultant was wearing a PP Aquuanaut yesterday. I complimented him and wondered if we're paying him too much... ;-)
LTlhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 06:47 PM   #109
pbubsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I've had the most compliments on my Casio Databank and G-Shocks funny enough. Usually on the range or in training courses. Met a diplomat once that was wearing a GMT II and complimented my Panerai 1305 with a nod to it and a smile and I likewise to him. Other than that, no one really notices. Got a WIS that works in the same floor as me that occaisionally nods to my watch in passing. So quiet acknowledgement? I see people looking at my Rolex watches but I think it's more because of the polished surfaces. Most other watches I wear are less eye catching and are beneath notice. I really don't think anyone notices our watches outside of thieves, other hobbyists and astute sales people that are looking for signs of disposable income.
pbubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 09:35 PM   #110
Xenon
Banned

The average Joe thinks it's an Invicta, seriously.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 10:06 PM   #111
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I know so many say no one will ever notice what’s on your wrist. I’m not sure that’s too true. If you want an under the radar Rolex, get a Tudor. For Rolex, the ceramic bezel is never under the radar imo. An OP39 is your best chance at under the radar....perhaps even an Exp1
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 10:21 PM   #112
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Sometimes my TT Subs....!
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 11:14 PM   #113
thomlad54
"TRF" Member

The only person who’s ever commented on my sub was a waiter at Bare Burger.
His comment “ cool watch “.

Thom
thomlad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 12:35 AM   #114
tabs2000
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710BLNR, 79220N
I get comments on my Hulk every now and then but it is mostly from people who don’t know watches and think the only sub made is the black version.

Interesting story though I was with my wife and daughter having breakfast seated outside recently when an older gentleman asked what watch I was wearing. It happened to be my hulk. He struck up a conversation about watches and I noticed he was wearing a Patek grand complication. He asked what else I had in my collection and I told him. He in a nice way said he owned a couple Rolex models but was more interested in other brands.

The watches he was telling me about all started at $100,000 and up. According to him John Mayer had an ok collection. I was laughing because he was being very sarcastic about stuff and was very forthcoming.

I finally asked what He did for a living. He told me he was a screen writer and had written a movie Accidentally in love, co wrote the wolf of Wall Street and a few other big movies. I told him he was playing in a different sand box then any of my watch enthusiast friends.

I asked him why he asked about my watch and he said his wife noticed it and he thought it looked great and wanted to see it. He put it on his list of watches he needed to have.

His Patek he was wearing looked like it had seen heavy wear, he said he try’s to wear every watch he owns regularly and if you won’t wear them, you cant afford them. He was also trying to talk me into a Vacheron Constantin that he could get me for $100 grand and it was immediately worth $300,000 I had to explain again that he was playing in a different league then myself.

Long story but that is really the only time a watch got noticed and it was noticed by a watch enthusiast from another world practically. Interesting guy though.
tabs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 02:15 AM   #115
calishine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabs2000 View Post
I get comments on my Hulk every now and then but it is mostly from people who don’t know watches and think the only sub made is the black version.

Interesting story though I was with my wife and daughter having breakfast seated outside recently when an older gentleman asked what watch I was wearing. It happened to be my hulk. He struck up a conversation about watches and I noticed he was wearing a Patek grand complication. He asked what else I had in my collection and I told him. He in a nice way said he owned a couple Rolex models but was more interested in other brands.

The watches he was telling me about all started at $100,000 and up. According to him John Mayer had an ok collection. I was laughing because he was being very sarcastic about stuff and was very forthcoming.

I finally asked what He did for a living. He told me he was a screen writer and had written a movie Accidentally in love, co wrote the wolf of Wall Street and a few other big movies. I told him he was playing in a different sand box then any of my watch enthusiast friends.

I asked him why he asked about my watch and he said his wife noticed it and he thought it looked great and wanted to see it. He put it on his list of watches he needed to have.

His Patek he was wearing looked like it had seen heavy wear, he said he try’s to wear every watch he owns regularly and if you won’t wear them, you cant afford them. He was also trying to talk me into a Vacheron Constantin that he could get me for $100 grand and it was immediately worth $300,000 I had to explain again that he was playing in a different league then myself.

Long story but that is really the only time a watch got noticed and it was noticed by a watch enthusiast from another world practically. Interesting guy though.
That’s a pretty cool story.
calishine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 02:42 AM   #116
Rocketman39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,Hulk,GMTII
Maybe noticed five or so times in Fifty years. One guy mentioned during a Shuttle Launch at the Space Center, "Nice Fake Rolex" since he worked at the Pad with Me, I took it off and let him see it closer. Then he said "Wow! Another time in a Restaurant, the Waitress said, "Nice Invicta" I just thanked her !IMHO the only folks that really Look, is another Watch Guy. Which is nice. Most of my friends think it is a Waste of Money. I love my Rolex's and they are just for Me and no one else! I understand in the Luxury Watch World, I am on the bottom of the pile. I am Happy and Blessed to be in the Pile at all!
Rocketman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 04:04 AM   #117
jayb633
"TRF" Member

My experience is no. In 35 years I've had maybe 3 people notice that I was wearing a Sub and one of those was a watch repair tech.
jayb633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 04:14 AM   #118
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

More than 10 years I've been wearing beautiful watches, no one gives a shit.

Or I think the person who notices your Sub, won't come and talk to you about it without knowing you, a little weird you don't think ?!

It would really take the circumstance for, and the evidence is very rare...

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 04:57 AM   #119
GatorSox
"TRF" Member

I have gotten “nice Smurf” from a guy boarding on a plane once. That’s it.

GatorSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 06:36 AM   #120
aloysius
"TRF" Member

*delete (don't know how to delete on this forum)

Last edited by aloysius; 5 July 2020 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: *delete
aloysius is offline   Reply With Quote