"TRF" Member

I’d choose Daytona easily.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 03:16 AM   #32
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
And thats one of the main problems today Rolex are now thought of as little more than ££££$$$$,instead of buying the watch you really want to own and wear.Yes the Daytona is a nice watch but so are many others, but today internet hype often dictates to what to buy, and many today buy for just that .
I agree. However, I would choose a Daytona. I’ve been hunting that watch for so long but am unwilling to pay the grey tax on it.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 03:24 AM   #33
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Love the Daytona for its perfect fit and style but legibility is not ideal.

The sub is a perfect watch in every other way though I wish it fit like the daytona.

I’ve had a variety of each; 4 different Daytona’s & ~5 subs...

For what it’s worth, I wear a sub and do not currently own a daytona.
Old 5 July 2020, 03:28 AM   #34
Daryl
2024 Pledge Member

go with the one you really like.

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 03:30 AM   #35
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
What happened to buying what you are passionate about. I would never buy something because someone else thinks its great. However, hype is the reason I knew about the 116508 JM which I have on order...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 July 2020, 03:32 AM   #36
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
And thats one of the main problems today Rolex are now thought of as little more than ££££$$$$,instead of buying the watch you really want to own and wear.Yes the Daytona is a nice watch but so are many others, but today internet hype often dictates to what to buy, and many today buy for just that .
I couldn't agree more, buy a watch you like, one that you want to wear and are happy to have, not a watch that social media dictates that you should have.

That 116500LN's are selling on the grey market for over 2x retail is just plain bonkers, other Rolex's are as bad which is crazy.

I understand that good watches can retain their value but the bubble on these SS Rolex sport models surely has to burst at some point, doesn't it?

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 03:53 AM   #37
Xenon
Banned

Black
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.jpg (133.2 KB, 158 views)
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 03:57 AM   #38
Anestheticsaregood
"TRF" Member

I have both. Hulk hands down
Anestheticsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 03:57 AM   #39
Napoleon
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO / Sub / Polar
Hulk to me, long term, will be more unique.
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 04:00 AM   #40
campfire
"TRF" Member

Whatever you personally prefer. For me, it would be Daytona.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 05:20 AM   #41
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
I would pick the 116610LV. The daytona is the least worn watch in my collection, i just don’t use the chrono function and i think the green sub is better looking.

jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 05:27 AM   #42
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
No comparison. Daytona by miles.

Ultimately it’s about what you like though.
My sentiments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton911 View Post
Nothing over hyped about the Daytona,especially when you don’t own one.
The Daytona is definitely full of hype, although there is nothing wrong with that.
Both are full of hype actually, it’s just our climate in the watch world today.
And Padi should know, he in fact owns a Daytona, one of the most desired or hyped that exists in fact.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 05:30 AM   #43
kwingy
"TRF" Member

Personally opinion - if you got the Hulk - think part of you wished you would have gone for the Daytona.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 05:31 AM   #44
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Take both!!! If you can take only one: Daytona
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 05:31 AM   #45
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

To buy as a watch to wear for many years to come? I think the Daytona has the slight edge, as far as being able to weather fashion trends.

To buy as a “unique” character in the collection? A green Sub maybe gets the nod.

I’m not strongly drawn to either, so I have no bias either way.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 05:39 AM   #46
madbar
Banned

get both, then your set
madbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 05:46 AM   #47
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
By most people I would say Daytona.

You spend money to satisfy your desire, which one you like the most buy that one.

If you like the hulk more, then go for it and it's a lot cheaper too.

The best way is get both just like me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex 116610LV-6A.jpg (289.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex 116500LN-4A.jpg (212.8 KB, 135 views)
Benzsiam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 05:49 AM   #48
mr ling
"TRF" Member

Watch: my P&L
I’m the unpopular dissenter here.. Hulk is easily my choice over a Daytona. Beyond the ‘prestige’ (from racing) of the Daytona and its current scarcity, I don’t understand the appeal.
mr ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 05:58 AM   #49
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
If you want a watch that is legible; 116610LV >> White dial Daytona
+1. Maybe it’s my old eyes, but the Daytona is way too busy for me. Don’t like having to decipher it.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 06:07 AM   #50
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
Green
Nice adornment, I have my own...

I'd pick the LVc, just find it more unique than the D500, which I also own and love.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 06:20 AM   #51
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ling View Post
I’m the unpopular dissenter here.. Hulk is easily my choice over a Daytona. Beyond the ‘prestige’ (from racing) of the Daytona and its current scarcity, I don’t understand the appeal.
Substitute the word appeal for hype. It’s partly artificially created by Rolex and then wholly instigated by social media.
When watches like the Daytona came on the scene it was to literally fill a need for a tool. That was why the Submariner(for example) flourished, it served it’s tool purpose to a wider audience. The Submariner was more expensive at Rolex msrp than the Daytona throughout most of the 70/80s, why, because people didn’t need a chronograph as much as a tough waterproof standard watch.

Today, we’re beyond the need for a tool watch diver or chronograph. There are specific tool devices for those specific tasks so we’re left with what looks good to most.
Not many dive with a Sub or time races with a chronograph watch. It’s what feels best and appeals to most visually. The Daytona has amazing proportions and aesthetics that are both masculine and feminine, it looks great on both wrists.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 07:07 AM   #52
khazard
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly View Post
LV would be my choice.

I sold my white dial Daytona a few months ago, it wore too small and difficult to read as you get older.

My LV gets more wrist time than any other in my collection.
This was my exact experience as well. The Daytona is unbelievably comfortable, but I didn’t like how small it felt on my 7.75” wrist. When I wore it, I was happier with the fact that I was wearing a hard-to-get Daytona than I was about the watch itself.

At the end of the day, it was like I was wearing the Daytona for other people, but I’d always put on the Hulk for myself.

I sold the Daytona and bought an IWC chrono model that I sold 8 years ago and regretted for about 7.5 Years. No screw-down pushers, 44mm case size, and a personal story about getting my first “luxury watch” model back a decade after I originally purchased it.

If I had the opportunity to get one of the rarer watches in the Rolex lineup right now, I would go for a SS SkyDweller.
khazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 07:16 AM   #53
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Nobody can tell you what will work for you. It sounds like a doubt is creeping in and my approach to doubts about things like watches is to take them seriously.

I have a Hulk and a 42mm Polar. A diverse, stylish, classic and real world useful pair. They were my first two Rolex watches. They have been joined by others since, but not by a Daytona. The sub dials are too small for me to read easily and this defeats the object.

It is one hell of an achingly stylish watch but not something I can put to use in the same way as a GMT watch or a Sub Date. If they made a 42mm Daytona I might think different. If they made a 42-43mm Daytona with a date function it would be an entirely different matter.

Your mileage will vary. As "problems" go, you've got one that many people would like to have.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 07:20 AM   #54
Posh Gentleman
"TRF" Member

I'd think green dial is an acquired taste. Personal opinion, but I think Hulk is ugly as hell and I'd rather get a black sub over Hulk.

between Daytona vs hulk, no contest. I rank Daytona as the most beautiful sports watch ever created. again, just my subjective opinion.
Posh Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 07:26 AM   #55
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by isgrb View Post
Just to clarify, I can get all three models from my AD. I have a great relationship with them and have bought many models over the years. I threw my hat in the ring for the Daytona back in late February so it’s been a few months but not a year + or anything.

Recently I’ve been having second thoughts with the Hulk discontinuation rumors. Ultimately I would like to get all three but if I want to preserve my marriage I usually sneak in new models every six months or so. I added the James Cameron, Air King and Batgirl in late ‘19 and early ‘20 so I’m leaning towards adding just one this year (or maybe two if I go Hulk + Explorer II)
If this is the case get both the Hulk and Daytona. That's what I did. Waited less than a month for the Hulk and about a year for the Daytona.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 07:31 AM   #56
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by isgrb View Post
The white dial 116500LN to be exact.

The Daytona has been at the top of my list with my AD for awhile but recently I’ve been thinking about going for a Hulk and maybe even a polar Explorer II instead.

Obviously the two watches would be a few grand more than the Daytona on it’s own but ignoring that fact I’m thinking the Hulk is more my style than the Daytona anyway. I’ve got a few speedys in my collection and I love a green dial.

Anyway, I know to go with what I like but just curious if people would choose a Hulk or a Daytona if they could only take one.

So which watch floats your boat?

Have Owned both—Not close for me:
The hulk.

bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 10:24 AM   #57
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
The Hulk , because of the color, is a unique watch, If they stop making the Hulk it will really become appreciated whereas you can buy a Daytona that resembles and looks like the Daytona from 50 years ago. Both are a nice addition to any collection.
Old 5 July 2020, 10:47 AM   #58
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
I have both Daytona SS wears small. I prefer my Everose Daytona as the size and weight.
Hulk has more presence and you don’t see as many out there. I also have the GMT Pepsi.

I think now I want a Skydweller YG black dial, MSU trade the GMT and the SS Daytona. Humm —a thought.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 11:11 AM   #59
isgrb
"TRF" Member

Really enjoying reading everyone’s perspectives. Ultimately I’m fairly certain they will both join my collection eventually but I’m enjoying reading through the comments particularly from current and former owners.

To be clear, I’m not approaching the situation from an investment perspective as I’m not a flipper and buy pieces to wear them. That said, I am mindful of the Hulk discontinuation rumors and I refuse to buy new Rolexes above retail price so that window may be rapidly closing.

Anyway, agreed with the poster above, definitely first world problems, especially these days. But hey, we have to have our pleasant distractions, right?
isgrb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 12:23 PM   #60
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelorpepsi View Post
Daytona - they are beautiful watches, but not that discrete and pretty fragile.
Fragile? How so? I wore an 116520 for over four years as a daily doing all sorts of things and it never missed a beat. My 116500 went for a bike ride today, and no one has ever noticed it...except people in watch stores.
That said, to the OP, overhyped Daytona all day, it’s a very versatile and comfortable watch. The green Sub does nothing for me, if I wanted a Sub it would be black dial.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote