The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 20 June 2009, 04:51 PM   #1
kma_ana
"TRF" Member

Anybody ever dealed with Wingate's Quality Watches ?

Just about to buy an expensive watch from them .. rolex or franck muller

Have you ever heard about them?

Wingate's Quality Watches LLC

www.tic-tock.com

please.. I need an advice about buying expensive watch through the internet

kma_ana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2009, 10:29 PM   #2
idk01
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ16233TT
Hi kma_ana,

I haven't personally purchased anything from Bob Wingate, but I'd thought I'd pop in and and give you a quick Welcome to TRF being your first post

I did a quick search on out buyers sellers who's who and the site you mentioned did pop up a bit and there are a few users here on TRF that have purchased through Bob Wingate's stie.

Here are a few of the threads :

Trusted websites for a used Rolex

Reputable Pre-Owned Dealer

I hope these help.

Dave.

idk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2009, 11:38 PM   #3
usma76
"TRF" Member

Wingates

I have had one dealing. Bought a gold datejust about 5 years ago. They gave the same platitudes such as in perfect condition, and you have the rediculous 3 day inspection period for any returns. The watch had a winding problem that should have been identified by, and fixed by Wingates before it was sold. But this did not happen, and for the money you spend, they deserve the red brand of Buyer Beware!

So be careful, and should you buy from them have a workable plan where you can have a local expert give your purchase a good examination, and if there is a problem that you can get it back to them in the short amount of time they require. This is can be difficult unless you are the examining expert, and the 3-day return is designed to reduce returns that they do not want anyway. This is just another company where taking money is more important than customer satisfaction.

Of course with fakes and replicas becomming so good and hard to distinguish, it is possible that one could slip through on their end by accident. Again, the scope of this is to be cautious and to ensure a good purchase.
usma76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2009, 11:41 PM   #4
usma76
"TRF" Member

Be Careful!

I have had one dealing. Bought a gold datejust about 5 years ago. They gave the same platitudes such as in perfect condition, and you have the rediculous 3 day inspection period for any returns. The watch had a winding problem that should have been identified by, and fixed by Wingates before it was sold. But this did not happen, and for the money you spend, they deserve the red brand of Buyer Beware!

So be careful, and should you buy from them have a workable plan where you can have a local expert give your purchase a good examination, and if there is a problem that you can get it back to them in the short amount of time they require. This is can be difficult unless you are the examining expert, and the 3-day return is designed to reduce returns that they do not want anyway. This is just another company where taking money is more important than customer satisfaction.

Of course with fakes and replicas becomming so good and hard to distinguish, it is possible that one could slip through on their end by accident. Again, the scope of this is to be cautious and to ensure a good purchase.
usma76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2009, 12:22 AM   #5
TimeToGo
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome to the Forum, Kma Ana!

Great info, Dave!
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2009, 12:49 AM   #6
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I have without and trouble and would do business again with Bob Wingate, And welcome.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2009, 02:12 AM   #7
fusebuddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMTII
Welcome kma_ana, this is a great place!
fusebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2009, 02:25 AM   #8
onkyo
Banned

A recent thread about Wingate on watchnet (I personally have never used them) --->

Shame on you Wingate Jun 06, 2009 - 04:01 PM Go to next message
Bought a watch. It wasn't close to described as New Old Stock. I went through a check list of the contents of the box and papers, and it was confirmed it was all there. None of it was there. It was filthy, polished, and not new as described. Thank God I got my money back less shipping as it was about 30k. I later bought the same watch for much less as used without papers, same seriel number. It was weird having the same one twice before I wore it. The repair was over 1500, but the second dealer told me in advance it needed work.

Others have told me bad stories. Be careful.

J

i agree

WINGATES cannot be trusted!!!
They sold me a watch as BNIB and it was broken, and had been opened and damaged. since i did not notice it for > 30 days they re3fused to help me and i was stuck with an 11K repair bill!!!

They are NOT REPUTABLE

you say the watch was"broken, and had been opened and damaged" and you didn't notice that for 30 days? Kind of hard to believe, along with a 11k repair bill.

it arrived and i wound it and it ran - i put it in my safe as it was a gift and then when i gave it to my son - it lost 1 hour a day.

the blue gear was broken and missing 2 teeth. i sent it to Nardin and they took photos and confirmed that the watch was not new but previously registered and out of warranty

there is no doubt that i have learned my lesson and more carefully check my purchases BUT i trusted Wingates as a reputable dealer

It is my fault too but they are dishonest

I too recently had a bad experience with Wingate. I purchased a BNIB watch which was not BNIB. Watch was not as described, missing tags, etc. Watch had definitely been worn. Wingate would not only not give me my money back, they would not even agree to give me a store credit for the watch. I would never do business with them again under any circumstances.

Pasnail

One of Wingate's tactic is if you wire them money, you get a discount and likely those are the ones who gets conned by them.

onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2009, 07:11 AM   #9
kma_ana
"TRF" Member

idk01

thanks for your helpful search

TimeToGo

I'm glade I'm here to

Thanks

landroverking

Thanks for your reply

fusebuddy

Thank you

onkyo

You help me so much by your reply

Thanks a lot
kma_ana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2009, 09:47 AM   #10
idk01
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ16233TT
Your welcome my friend, any time you need a hand, don't hesitate to pop us a message

Dave.

idk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2011, 10:53 AM   #11
theibis

Watch: Submariner 16613N
Wingate spams this website. Stay away!
theibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2011, 11:34 AM   #12
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theibis View Post
Wingate spams this website. Stay away!

And got banned.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2011, 03:17 PM   #13
marcinthemiddle
Vacated

Watch: PAM 111 'N'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
And got banned.
Real fast.

Executive Dorklehead
marcinthemiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2011, 12:03 AM   #14
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Wingate's has been discussed on this forum in the past. It is not a business that I would recommend, instead, I would avoid them for sure.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2011, 01:16 PM   #15
Maxtor
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Why not look to the Trusted Sellers here on the TRF website.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2011, 05:35 AM   #16
Skippy3
"TRF" Member

Poor choice of companies to do business with! I was threatened by a lawsuit if I ever decided to leave feedback of my experience, but that defeats the purpose of leaving honest reviews. Company sent me a watch that was not magnified to 2.5X as a Rolex should be, was gold plated steel, did not have a sweeping second hand, CZ instead of diamonds...you can add your conclusion here. Ended up with over a $500 loss on the watch when they insisted that I ship it back insured and refused to give me back the full amount that I had given them due to shipping costs, etc. Was also sent the wrong watches after false advertising by Time and Gems/Watch Empire and Demesy's. 3 companies, all with a complete lack of business ethics. Online scams are everywhere; it may be worth it to pay a little extra and go to a retail dealer. Hope this helps!
Skippy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2011, 08:27 AM   #17
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
I bought a watch from them and I would never buy from them ever again!!!

Terrible customer service, bad attitude and extremely overpriced. Well know to sell 'franken watches'.

The watch I bought from them was horribly over polished right before they shipped it to me and it didn't look at all like in the pictures from their listing. I had to get the watch serviced afterwards to get the right look on the bezel and bracelet.

Stay away!!!

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2013, 10:26 AM   #18
hndrsnbrn
"TRF" Member

I would not buy from them either. I ordered what was told to me was a F model (2004) date just. The picture on the website, which I was told over the phone was the watch I would receive is not what I what I got. The dial had the "T Swiss Made T" on the bottom which indicates the dial was made with tridium for illumination. Rolex stopped using tridium in 1998, which alerted me to the fact this dial was off an older watch. The cyclops was crooked and appeared to have been glued on a non rolex crystal. Glue could be seen around the Cyclops. I am waiting on my 3700 dollar refund. The salesperson seemed upset when I voiced my concerns, and advised most of there watches are not completely original. That would have been nice to know before ordering, but they don't tell you that. DON'T BUY FROM THIS COMPANY if you want a real Rolex, as you want get it!!
hndrsnbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2013, 05:52 PM   #19
Tony1
Banned

Watch: me
And i still don't understand ..... Do you really buy from every website than pop-ups in your browser and have a nice ROLEX logo on it ? If so, you deserve it.
As i said before... If you want luxury you need to afford them, not to buy from a poor website with nice design and 200$ discount.
Tony1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2016, 04:17 PM   #20
Meme-Dweller
Banned

Watch: Meme-Dweller
Just spoke with the famous Bob of Wingate's... he definitely has a rude, "this is a luxury watch, do you have money or not?" attitude, even though all his inventory is second-hand... and I didn't even try to negotiate any discount or throw out an offer. There's a lot of use of what I would call a teenager's first sales job technique. "Look at the price versus retail!", "This is in pristine condition!" (when I didn't ask about condition), "This is rare!"

I would definitely avoid him (and Wingate's/tick-tock.com in general) and continue to stick to the trusted members here on the forum (Serge and DavidSW are my favs).
Meme-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 10:12 AM   #21
Lex@xyz
"TRF" Member

Wingates

Have only begun collecting Rolex about a year ago .Have two now. Am searching for a Datejust Thunderbird . Wingate had one I was interested in . I was treated rudely and non professionally by a lady named Amanda there . It was to the point of her being childish .
I highly recommend avoiding them .

I am glad to be here and learn about my new collecting passion .

Lex
Lex@xyz is offline   Reply With Quote