The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 February 2019, 09:36 AM   #1
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,SD43,BLNR
SD43 with low amplitude???

Hi guys . Relatively new to the watch world so don't chop my head off if i am wrong .

I recently bought a new Ace 100 Timegrapher and I have been timing all of my watches just to create a record in time for them, see their general health and get an opportunity to learn a few things about the way my watches work . I started with the oldest first and the ones that were bought used with an unknown service history.
My SeaDweller 43mm 126600 was among the very last to run through. It has been an extremely accurate watch for me and it was purchased little over a year ago, so i wasn't rushing to measure it among the first of my watches. I have worn it very sparingly on a rotation and has seen very little running time maybe less than 30-40 days worth of total running since new .
To my surprise the amplitude was very low for a brand new watch but since it is a new movement i didn't know if that is normal or not so I'm checking with you.
These were the readings i got .

Face up+0 s/d 263 AMP BE 0.0 ms Face down 0 s/d 259 AMP BE 0.0 ms
Crown UP0 s/d 225 AMP. B.E 0.2 ms Crown down 0 s/d 224 AMP BE 0.2 ms
6 p.m. up0 s/d 226 AMP BE 0.0 ms 12 o’clock UP-1 s/d 222. AMP BE 0.2 ms

I know that face up and down are the important ones but i included all the positions i've tested . Is this amplitude within specs for a new modern Rolex watch ? All my under 3 years 3135 moment watches have amplitude of about 300 face up or down. I have a decade old bluesy that has a stronger amplitude than this one hence my decision to post here before i take the watch to my AD and hear that its normal .
Please share your knowledge on this new 3235 movement .
To those wondering I've fully wound the watch fully, as well as i did the testing twice in 2 separate dates. The second time I specifically made sure that i wound the watch more times than I knew it needed just so i don't have any doubts about its power reserve being fully charged.

Thanks
John
TheWatchEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2019, 10:05 AM   #2
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
The amplitude on Rolex watches is a dark science only understood by Rolex and Bas.

Hopefully he will be here soon.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2019, 10:09 AM   #3
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

Did you fully wind it? Wind it up 50 turns or more until you hear the clicking sound holding it to your ear. I bet the amplitude will be higher.
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2019, 10:39 AM   #4
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

If you read my comments you will see that i am stating that i made sure it was more than fully wound . Trust me it was probably wound at least twice as much as it needed to . These are fully wound numbers. Same numbers in two different occasions in different days both times fully wound. Isn't it low ?
Old 2 February 2019, 11:25 AM   #5
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchEnthusiast View Post
If you read my comments you will see that i am stating that i made sure it was more than fully wound . Trust me it was probably wound at least twice as much as it needed to . These are fully wound numbers. Same numbers in two different occasions in different days both times fully wound. Isn't it low ?

My apologies, I read between lines.
If the watch was fully wound then yes the amplitude is on the low side.

I hate to repeat but the SD43 does have the newer mov’t with 72 PR, therefore longer mainspring. Just make sure it is fully wound. If that’s beyond doubt, I would have Rolex take a look...
Old 2 February 2019, 11:30 AM   #6
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

...And the other thing I would confirm is that the lift angle of the new movt remains 52 degrees, because that would affect your amplitude reading.
Old 2 February 2019, 11:49 AM   #7
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
...And the other thing I would confirm is that the lift angle of the new movt remains 52 degrees, because that would affect your amplitude reading.
It is both 52 lift angle and guaranteed full wound
Old 3 February 2019, 01:06 AM   #8
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchEnthusiast View Post
It is both 52 lift angle and guaranteed full wound

You can have an AD with onsite watchmaker take a look. Surprisingly though the watch is still very accurate. If you let it sit for 24 hours, check the specs again. I wonder if the amplitude and dial up rate will deviate significantly. Not that it will help obviously but as a data point or confirmation.
Old 3 February 2019, 02:38 AM   #9
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

I’ll do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 February 2019, 03:19 AM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

Wouldn't be the first 32×× movement that came in under warranty with exactly the same issue...
Some have very little escapement lubrication and just run dry within a year or two. An easy fix of course but this shouldn't be happening since 'The Rolex way' involves almost drowning your pallet fork in grease so that it won't come back for 10 years.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 03:21 AM   #11
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
The amplitude on Rolex watches is a dark science only understood by Rolex and Bas.

Hopefully he will be here soon.
Dark science indeed, the 22×× is the absolute worst, even if you replace everything and triple check your lubricant, struggling to get 240degrees fully wound horizontal position and some just run 300 degrees. Black magic going on there...
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 07:45 AM   #12
shofzr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 218235 BronzeWaves
Lift angle is 55 degrees for caliber 32xx

31xx is 52 degrees..

Adjust your timing machine according to get correct amplitude.

Speedmaster 125
shofzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 12:30 PM   #13
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shofzr View Post
Lift angle is 55 degrees for caliber 32xx

31xx is 52 degrees..

Adjust your timing machine according to get correct amplitude.

Ok I will adjust , measure and post results again

Old 5 February 2019, 01:09 AM   #14
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
There are a few things that I would like to bring to your attention so that you get a clearer picture of amplitude and when Rolex will honor a warranty.

There are no official amplitude requirements for a Rolex movement at full wind. It is generally accepted that the amplitude should be a little higher than that, however, there is technically nothing wrong according to Rolex tolerances.

The only official test of amplitude is done after 24 hours of running with the crown in the hanging position. If the movement has an amplitude of 200 degrees or over, the watch is technically within tolerance. In fact, there are not even dial up/dial down amplitude requirements according to Rolex official tolerances and paperwork.

Now, if a watch has an amplitude of 250 degrees in the dial-up / down position when fully wound there clearly is an issue somewhere, however, it could still technically pass Rolex quality control without an issue being flagged.

So, if you did send the watch in under warranty and there were no actual issues, I doubt you will get very far as the watch may well pass all the required testing.

Now I come to the 32xx family of movements. It is very likely if there is an issue that it is the second's wheel in the gear train. There is a common fault where the pivot of the wheel accumulates a strange red coating, almost like rust. I don't know whether it is an epilmae issue, which is entirely possible as Rolex are now making use of a new epilame product due to a change in environmental laws.

So, I know that probably doesn't really answer your question, but I hope it does go to show that timing results at one stage of the watches run is really not a true indicator of what is happening with your watch.

Ashton
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 01:23 AM   #15
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Ashton I want to thank you for your response. Any info to a guy like me that is in the dark about how things really work is valuable.
Two things to clarify if you can please
The “ 24 hours of running with the crown in the hanging position “
Is that watch on its side with the crown down ? And is it part of the test to be on that position for the whole duration of 24 hours ?
I was also told that the lift angle should be 55 degrees for the 3235 movement. Is this something that you concur or it should be 52 ?
Thanks for your info.
John

Old 5 February 2019, 02:21 AM   #16
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Yes, you are correct. Hanging here refers to the crown being pointed toward the floor. The position the watch would be in with your hands by your side. The amplitude is only checked in this position after 24 hours, not kept in this position for 24 hours. Well, the amplitude is still checked in 5 positions, but this is the position that is relevant to the official tolerance testing.

The information about the lift angle is correct. I should have also mentioned in my last post that when you adjust your lift angle to 55, the amplitude will actually increase. So you will probably find that the watch is running just fine.

But, you now know about the second's wheel fault!

Ashton
Old 5 February 2019, 10:39 PM   #17
Vicc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Broad Arrow
Considering the 3235 was only announced in 2017 we've had quite a few of them in for service, all having low amplitude. Runs fine after a service though, but makes you wonder why Rolex took a step away from the 3135.
Vicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 11:39 PM   #18
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicc View Post
Considering the 3235 was only announced in 2017 we've had quite a few of them in for service, all having low amplitude. Runs fine after a service though, but makes you wonder why Rolex took a step away from the 3135.
The 3135 series is also constantly brought back under warranty. Worn auto axle, dry escapement, etc. Warranty issues will arise with any movement, it's par for the course due to the nature of a watch movement and all that is going on inside there.

I believe one of the main reasons had to do with increased power reserve. Even a brand like Rolex can't rest on their laurels and get away with watches in 2019 having a 40 hour power reserve.

Ashton
Old 11 February 2019, 02:20 PM   #19
JasChCh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
My Deepsea is around 6 months old, started just about within spec, got a bit better but then started slowing down, losing around 5.5 seconds per day over the past couple of months despite being fully wound etc.

The image was taken by my local watch maker before I took the watch back to my AD so that Rolex can hopefully rectify this.

Does this also allude to low amplitude??

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/mo...w2256-h1275-no
JasChCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 08:28 AM   #20
Hookedonkristy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicc View Post
I have had it serviced twice now. Hopefully, this isn’t an every two year thing.
Hookedonkristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2022, 02:00 AM   #21
Alexjb007
"TRF" Member

El ángulo de alzamiento del calibre 3235 está en 53°
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220406_180829.jpg (180.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 20220406_181424.jpg (150.7 KB, 80 views)
Alexjb007 is offline   Reply With Quote