The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 February 2019, 12:26 PM   #1
crillon
"TRF" Member

SBGN005/SBGN003 GMT worth it?

Hey guys - first time poster, been browsing the forums here for a while and enjoying learning from this community. Have definitely caught the watch bug.

I'm on the cusp of my first purchase and am interested in some opinions on the GS 9F Quartz GMTs. Specifically, is $3,200 for a quartz movement worth it? It's a newer release, but could I realistically receive any kind of discount from an AD? New to the market...

I tried one on a few weeks ago. I like the tool/knockaround feel and the 39mm case fit my wrist well, but something about the price tag for a battery operated movement is still difficult for me to reconcile (though i know it's a well engineered and highly accurate quartz). For just a few thousand more I could find a hi-beat automatic GMT, but as mentioned I like the look and feel of this particular reference. Just don't want to pull the trigger, be underwhelmed, and end up back in the market sooner than I'd hoped.

Will link to photos in a reply below (can't post links/pics since I'm a new user).

Thanks all.
crillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 03:14 PM   #2
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
It’s all up to you. I still haven’t pulled the trigger on a GS quartz yet because I still feel like you a little bit, that $3200 for quartz is tough to swallow . Which is a shame because those watches are phenomenal...but I will eventually grab a 9F one of these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 03:32 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
It is a lot of money for a quartz movement, but with a supposed 50 service-free years, it's actually good value in a way. I wear mine a lot, partly because it's always ready to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (205.3 KB, 1010 views)
Old 20 February 2019, 09:57 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
It is a matter of personal choice. If the watch does it for you I would go for it.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 02:34 PM   #5
Aussiexplorer
"TRF" Member

I am really enjoying my sbgn007. Fantastic build and 5 seconds per year accuracy! Plus the 9F quartz is a watchmaker quality movement. It balances out my collection beautifully!
Aussiexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:05 PM   #6
prozac51
"TRF" Member

$3200 on a quartz GS sure beats $25k on a grey Rolex SS Pepsi

Sent from my HTC_2Q4D100 using Tapatalk
prozac51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 08:20 AM   #7
pkincy
"TRF" Member

Backing off the "magic" of an automatic movement, the 9F is a watchmaker quality movement and is simply more accurate than any other mechanical movement. It also is several thousand dollars less expensive than a 9S or a 9R movement and $6-10k less expensive than a Rolex. And the bracelet, dial and hands are wonderful. Buy it and enjoy it.

I would like to hear about possible discounts from others as I also am looking at this exact watch.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 09:59 AM   #8
LMRS
"TRF" Member

I have the SBGT241. It is phenomenal. Here is how I look at it. Most people that have a problem with an expensive quartz I believe are still viewing it as a crappy cheap quartz and that simply isn’t the case with the 9f. Take for example a dodge caravan (or insert a crappy car of your choice) vs a masarati Super car that is 500k. Both have four wheels, an engine etc. But no one says the dodge caravan is the same as the super car and therefore you should stick with the Dodge. Everything from the fit and finish to the performance is superior in the super car and that’s why it commands a bigger price. The same thing for a GS Quartz.
LMRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 10:35 AM   #9
pkincy
"TRF" Member

I bought the 005 and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 April 2019, 01:01 AM   #10
pkincy
"TRF" Member

Here it is. I normally buy through ADs but in this case found it BNIB with full package from a TS. So I got a bit of a discount and saved US state sales tax.

Old 30 April 2019, 03:17 AM   #11
Waxtactic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko 6138-0030
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
Here it is. I normally buy through ADs but in this case found it BNIB with full package from a TS. So I got a bit of a discount and saved US state sales tax.
Reminds me of the 16570 Explorers a bit but daaaaaaang I want one of those.
Waxtactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2019, 03:21 AM   #12
pkincy
"TRF" Member

A great watch it is. I have a month old Explorer Mk2 but it sits in the winder while this is what I wear daily.
Old 30 April 2019, 01:50 PM   #13
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
Hey guys - first time poster, been browsing the forums here for a while and enjoying learning from this community. Have definitely caught the watch bug.

I'm on the cusp of my first purchase and am interested in some opinions on the GS 9F Quartz GMTs. Specifically, is $3,200 for a quartz movement worth it? It's a newer release, but could I realistically receive any kind of discount from an AD? New to the market...

I tried one on a few weeks ago. I like the tool/knockaround feel and the 39mm case fit my wrist well, but something about the price tag for a battery operated movement is still difficult for me to reconcile (though i know it's a well engineered and highly accurate quartz). For just a few thousand more I could find a hi-beat automatic GMT, but as mentioned I like the look and feel of this particular reference. Just don't want to pull the trigger, be underwhelmed, and end up back in the market sooner than I'd hoped.

Will link to photos in a reply below (can't post links/pics since I'm a new user).

Thanks all.
If you are leery of spending that much on a quartz then maybe its not the right watch for you. I understand your sentiment. What about a 5-digit Rolex Explorer II for $5-6k?
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 07:34 AM   #14
pkincy
"TRF" Member

Although I suppose I can understand folks liking vintage but why spend $5-6k on a 5 digit when you can get a BNIB Explorer Mk2 from an AD for $6500? I see it is popular but I like the factory fresh with warranty idea better. There is obviously something at play that I don't get. But I suppose that is why I like a GS with 9F movement so much. Although my Explorer is on my wrist today and my DJ tomorrow, all weekend was the SBGN005.

And if I was forced to give up 2 of the 3, the GS would be the keeper. There is something about a 50 year service interval (I acknowledge the 3 year battery replacement) and losing 1 sec/month vs my Rolex losing 1 sec/day that I appreciate.
Old 1 May 2019, 10:29 AM   #15
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Although I suppose I can understand folks liking vintage but why spend $5-6k on a 5 digit when you can get a BNIB Explorer Mk2 from an AD for $6500? I see it is popular but I like the factory fresh with warranty idea better. There is obviously something at play that I don't get. But I suppose that is why I like a GS with 9F movement so much. Although my Explorer is on my wrist today and my DJ tomorrow, all weekend was the SBGN005.

And if I was forced to give up 2 of the 3, the GS would be the keeper. There is something about a 50 year service interval (I acknowledge the 3 year battery replacement) and losing 1 sec/month vs my Rolex losing 1 sec/day that I appreciate.
The three year battery interval is also a timely reminder to get the seals changed, which I believe is what they do during a battery change if you use a Seiko service-centre
Old 1 May 2019, 12:01 PM   #16
pkincy
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the info. I will calendar it out 36 months. Got the Explorer on now. Choices are fun. Both are great watches. My DJ is incoming tomorrow. First world choices are good.
Old 1 May 2019, 12:08 PM   #17
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The three year battery interval is also a timely reminder to get the seals changed, which I believe is what they do during a battery change if you use a Seiko service-centre
The did the battery on mine but I saw not mention of new gaskets. I do not think it needs new gaskets in 3 years anyway. As long as it passes pressure test then I am good.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 04:58 AM   #18
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho? View Post
I kinda dislike the fact that it only has a top quartz movement but I would prefer it because most Grand Seikos have a problem with height....
What??? Most GS's are dress watches. And they are not usually tall.
Old 2 May 2019, 05:36 AM   #19
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If a minimum of 13 mm is not tall for you then I can’t help you. There are very few models with <12 mm thickness and most have a quartz movement.
13mm isn't tall for me. Sounds like it might be to tall for you. I think most GS dress watches are autos.
Old 2 May 2019, 09:05 AM   #20
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
13 mm for a simple dress watch is pretty tall. A simple dress watch is between 9 and 11 mm.
Like I said it must be to tall for you.
Old 2 May 2019, 10:01 AM   #21
Old Expat Beast

If you look in any Japanese GS brochure, the majority of dress watches are quartz. They are much more popular in Japan than abroad, and make up most of the GS JDM sales from what I understand. Most seem to be about 10mm.
Old 2 May 2019, 01:12 PM   #22
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you look in any Japanese GS brochure, the majority of dress watches are quartz. They are much more popular in Japan than abroad, and make up most of the GS JDM sales from what I understand. Most seem to be about 10mm.
I am referring to GS watches as a whole. Maybe the current offerings are quartz but I was pretty positive they use to be autos mainly.
Old 2 May 2019, 01:32 PM   #23
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
I am referring to GS watches as a whole. Maybe the current offerings are quartz but I was pretty positive they use to be autos mainly.
You said "I think most GS dress watches are autos." I was just responding to that.
Old 3 May 2019, 01:44 AM   #24
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You said "I think most GS dress watches are autos." I was just responding to that.
Good point.

Like I said I do not think most dress watches made by GS are of the quartz variety.

Quote:
Dude, it’s not that it’s too tall for me, it simply is tall for a dress watch. That is a fact and your opinion can’t take this away.
How is this a fact? Wouldn't it also be an opinion if I do not agree with it.
Old 3 May 2019, 04:21 AM   #25
cup8
Banned

It all depends on how it feels on your wrist, if you like it then you should go for it.
cup8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 05:21 AM   #26
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Dude, it’s not that it’s too tall for me, it simply is tall for a dress watch. That is a fact and your opinion can’t take this away.
Your definition of fact is a little suspect.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 02:04 PM   #27
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:

Wow, that is a great looking watch.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 11:15 PM   #28
LMRS
"TRF" Member

That’s a great watch. Definitely on my to buy list.
LMRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2019, 11:55 PM   #29
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
I have not priced this reference but other Grand Seiko references are available at a discount. Mechanical watches are not superior to quartz, they are different. Decide what your priorities are and you will have your answer.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2019, 12:28 AM   #30
pkincy
"TRF" Member

I believe Takuya still has it in stock.